PDA

View Full Version : Hair Recoloring Tutorial

Faylen
14th Apr 2006, 4:06 PM
Creating hair is pretty much the same as creating clothing, only you are often working with a more complicated mesh, with multiple layers, and each hair file contains multiple ages.

Open up Body Shop, select "Create Parts" and then "Create Genetics".
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/2/8/9/2/7/MTS_Faylen-275282-page-01.jpg

First, click on the hair icon. Second, select your color. For recoloring a Maxis hairstyle, I will usually start with blonde, because it desaturates, leaving the strand details, better than the other colors, IMO. You can start with other colors if your end result will be closer to one of those colors. You can also recolor custom hair.

Select your hair, then click on the button to import the texture (3).
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/2/8/9/2/7/MTS_Faylen-275283-page-02.jpg

When you open the package in PhotoShop, you can see the number of texture files you're going to need to modify! (I didn't select the toddler ones here. You can modify them, but their meshes are not the same, so the alphas and textures will be different as well, and need to be done separately)

The nice thing is that in the simpler styles, the texture is the same for all the ages, so once you get to a new texture you like, all you have to do is "Save As". . .each one of these files.

Note also that the image size is 512x512 pixels, a quarter the size of a clothing texture file.
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/2/8/9/2/7/MTS_Faylen-275284-page-03.jpg

Just to show you why there are so many different texture files, I took the three we have for this 'do and colored them vibrantly. Sometimes these textures are just the top and underside of each piece of the hair mesh, sometimes they're different pieces. However, they're all needed if you want the entire hairdo to appear.
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/2/8/9/2/7/MTS_Faylen-275285-page-04.jpg

This looks pretty strange, but you should get the idea.
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/2/8/9/2/7/MTS_Faylen-275286-page-05.jpg

Let's start with something simple (I went back to the original color for this step, BTW. ;) )

Just as with clothing recolors, the Image>Hue/Saturation, with the "colorize" box checked, will give you a pretty wide range to choose from. You may want to write down the color settings you choose. In addition, since this changes the color of the entire image, you might lose some contrast, so select Image>Brightness/Contrast and use the sliders until you like the look. "Save As" all the lookalike texture files.
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/2/8/9/2/7/MTS_Faylen-275287-page-06.jpg

Refresh in Body Shop to see how it looks on your mannequin.
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/2/8/9/2/7/MTS_Faylen-275288-page-07.jpg

Now, let's play some more. Using the polygonal lasso, I selected one of the forelock pieces. You might be able to get a result you like just by using the Hue/Saturation sliders, or you might want to desaturate that piece and start from scratch with a different color. Feel free to play - the only part that's going to change is the part you've selected.

http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/2/8/9/2/7/MTS_Faylen-275289-page-08.jpg
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/2/8/9/2/7/MTS_Faylen-275290-page-09.jpg

Again, though, changing the hue sometimes muddies the details, but the Brightness/Contrast can bring them back out again.
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/2/8/9/2/7/MTS_Faylen-275291-page-10.jpg

"Save As" all the lookalike texture files and refresh in Body Shop. Nice. I could do the same thing on the left, but we're just going to move along here.
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/2/8/9/2/7/MTS_Faylen-275292-page-11.jpg

Maybe we want to make the hair a little wavy - your filter menu is filled with all kinds of fun things, but here we're going to use Liquify. You'll see in the box that you have a lot of variables you can adjust. What I did here was make the brush a little more subtle than the default, and dragged it across the hair parallel to the part line.

Be careful when you do something like this to keep the hair tips sticking in the right direction. Few things look worse in a hair recolor than strands going in a different direction than they should, crossing the hair tips instead of running down them.
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/2/8/9/2/7/MTS_Faylen-275293-page-11a.jpg

As with changing the Hue/Saturation, some of the detail might be lost. In this case, another filter will do the trick. Select "Sharpen" to make the strands look more distinct. You can do this more than once, and if it's too much one way and too little the other, you can pick "Fade Sharpen" from the edit menu and use the slider to tone it down.

"Save As" all the lookalike files.
Go to Body Shop and refresh.
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/2/8/9/2/7/MTS_Faylen-275294-page-12.jpg

OK, so now our mannequin has a blonde streak AND wavy hair. If we like it, then it's time to modify all the other age groups. It's the same as "Save As" within the one age group. Remember those highlighted file names a few pages back? They're all identical, even the smaller child and teen, so you can overwrite them with your modified texture without any problems.
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/2/8/9/2/7/MTS_Faylen-275295-page-13.jpg

The one age group we might want to change is Elder. Yeah, he could color his hair in a foolish attempt to disguise his age, but really, we know he's gray underneath it all.
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/2/8/9/2/7/MTS_Faylen-275296-page-14.jpg

Especially since we've altered the shape of the texture, we want to use the file we made for the elder, just Desaturate and change the Brightness/Contrast. My feeling is that not all hair colors turn gray the same, so I don't like my elders to all have the same color gray. Starting from your base color gives you a bit more variety. (And in this case, our elder gets to hang onto one last vestige of youth, the bleached forelock!)
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/2/8/9/2/7/MTS_Faylen-275297-page-16.jpg

After we've used "Save As" to save the gray texture to all the elder texture files, we have our new hair, modified for all ages, ready to name in the "Enter Tool Tip Here" box, then export to our game and start playing.

Have fun!
http://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/2/8/9/2/7/MTS_Faylen-275298-page-17.jpg

When you're done, check out
Theo's (http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?c=1&p=1283102) SimPE Coloring Binning Plugin or
HystericalParoxysm's (http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=150742) SimPE or
Callum91's (http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=127096) DatGen hair binning tutorials.

SykE410
16th Apr 2006, 2:07 AM
thx for sharing!!

wayunlucky13
16th Apr 2006, 6:56 PM
thanks I'll try to remember all that

MeridianMoon
2nd May 2006, 11:06 PM
I just love your tutorials....Thank you again.

modstudent
2nd May 2006, 11:25 PM
Ive been just tinkering around with this aspect of the game and found the hair to be the most difficult to modify because I din't understand the way the file structure worked for them. After veiwing your tutorial and giving it a go... i came out with a superb looking hair style... Great tut thanks for your Lessons. :)

UsagiTsukino
4th May 2006, 1:34 AM
Wow! This is the first tutoral I finally understand! Thank you VERY much! :D

redhotsalsa
7th May 2006, 5:36 PM
Wow! I have never actually understood a tutorial before but I understood this one completely. Thanks!

alisam8o
7th May 2006, 7:01 PM
i never thought i could have fun learning :rolleyes: ...i could try finding the fun in school, but i dout i can highly :blink: ...thx now my friends sims cant :wtf: out do mine :!: ur da bomb, pez out :D

Sae sae
9th May 2006, 2:45 AM
Nice :) Just one question... how do I acess the custom hair colors that come with the game? Aka, not mods;... the blonde/purple floppy hair, for instance. Or the mohawks. The ones that you can only use ingame via using a mirror, not in sim creation. I've looked in body shop time and time again, but I can't find them in there...! Any ideas?

Also... How do you put them in specific bins? Ie, you see some mods with a set of regular hair colors (brown/blonde/red/black), and they show up in the correct bins ingame. Any idea?

Thanks!

Faylen
9th May 2006, 11:19 PM
When you open Body Shop, you'll see the four colors and then an asterisk. All custom colors will be found when you click on the asterisk.

And in the body of this tutorial, I provided links to binning tutorials by Callum91 and HystericalParoxysm that use DatGen and SimPE, respectively.

RaynePoodle
25th May 2006, 1:58 AM
If you delete a custom hair for an elder/adult/young adult or teen, will it delete for children or toddlers? The reason I ask, is that I don't want all the adult hair styles in the custom bin, when they were altered to fit for toddlers... and kids... they were put in the right bin. But, if I manage to get them in the custom bin, then the hair is going to be in the right color bin AND the custom bin, and I don't want repeats. Thanks

HystericalParoxysm
25th May 2006, 2:09 AM
Rayne... Hair recolours contain all of the textures for all of the different ages... Toddler, Child, Adult, Teen, and Elder. Selecting and deleting one age group will delete the whole recolour file - including the other ages linked to it.

If you want to remove extraneous ages, that's something one does from within the actual .package file - by deleting all the resources for that age group (I believe the age group is listed in the name of the Property Set in SimPE - all of the other associated files except for the material definition will have the same instance, so all of those can be deleted, and then the material definitions should also include the age group as well, and can also be deleted). Then the hair recolour won't show up at all for those other ages, but will show up for the ones it's supposed to. It doesn't end up working right for breeding purposes, or if you age a certain sim up or down...

But as for -repeats- you won't get those unless you have a duplicate of the same hair recolour. If it's in the custom bin, it's only in the custom bin. If it's in the natural hair colours bins, it'll only be there. Properly bin them and remove the extra ages that don't use the custom mesh if you want things to be as neat as possible.

RaynePoodle
25th May 2006, 2:14 AM
I'm working on properly binning them... I think... using BodyShop... the thing is, they are still showing up in the right color bin, and the custom bin... and I have no idea how to use SimPE to remove the extra ages. And I am not worried about them keeping a hair style when they age... I always change that anyway, different style for a different age... usually whatever looks good on that sims face.

I closed BodyShop after properly binning the hair, then restarted it. The hair is still in the normal hair color bin, and the custom content bin. :(( How do I fix this? :(

Faylen
25th May 2006, 5:11 PM
*sigh* You do it by reading the tutorials on categorizing (binning) that were linked in the tutorial. You remove unwanted age groups by reading Simply Stella's tutorial right here in this very forum on removing unwanted age groups. You can't bin using Body Shop, unless you take all that time and recolor each individual hair starting with an existing binned color.

ka3na15
31st May 2006, 1:24 AM
:up: :rofl: I would like to thank the people who gives effort in making these tutorials just for the sake that we noobs would have the chance to make our own meshes clothes hair etc keep up the good work and hope you guys wouldn't get tired of guiding us noobs :rofl: :jest: :D :beer: :beer: :beer:

Sae sae
7th Jun 2006, 4:13 AM
When you open Body Shop, you'll see the four colors and then an asterisk. All custom colors will be found when you click on the asterisk.

And in the body of this tutorial, I provided links to binning tutorials by Callum91 and HystericalParoxysm that use DatGen and SimPE, respectively.

I don't mean custom content hair styles.. I mean the ones that come with the game, but can't be accessed in Create a Sim- only by a mirror after a sim has been created. Ie, the colored mohawks, the floppy purple/yellow hair, etc..

HystericalParoxysm
7th Jun 2006, 4:34 AM
Sae sae, those are "styles" hairs - not normally accessible by any usual method for some stupid Maxoid reason. You could find the recolours for them to use them for other stuff by this method:

1. Make a new project. For it, select another recolour of the hair that's on the same MESH as the "styles" hair you want to modify. Import to Game.
2. Close Body Shop.
3. Open that new recolour .package from your SavedSims file in SimPE. Look in the Property Set under Plugin View - find the one for adult (should be obvious from the name - af or am). Find the line that starts with "name" and select it. Over on the right side you'll see the value for that line is selectable/editable - select the text before the underscore (i.e. if it says afhairmohawk_blonde only select the afhairmohawk part). Copy that text. That's the name of the mesh that's used for that recolour.
4. Bring up SimPE's Resource Finder. Paste the text you copied from the property set into the resource finder and then search. It may take several minutes to finish and won't respond while it's searching. This will find every piece related to the mesh with that name, including all its Maxis recolours, including the "styles" ones.
5. In the results, you should have a list of quite a few things. Scroll down till you start seeing lines that start with "Large Image File" (not Texture Image - those are much smaller images and not what you want) - read the text after the underscore. That should give you a good idea of which each one is (blonde, brown, pink, grey, etc.). There will be two of each kind - make sure you get the one with the 0 in it, not the 1 (the 0's are the right size, the 1's are smaller files). When you find one that sounds like the one you want, double-click it.
6. SimPE will chew on it for a while, opening up a biiiiig file that holds a lot of images, so be patient. But it'll jump to the one you selected. Take a look at the recolour in plugin view, make sure it's the right one, and then right-click it and export it as a .png. If it wasn't the right one, go back to the resource finder and keep looking till you find the right one.
7. Now you can edit that .png file in most any graphics editor however you want, save the result as a .bmp, and then use it as the texture in a new project on the same mesh.

Complicated? Yes. Why did Maxis make it so stupid-hard? I don't know. Questions? Go ahead. Good luck. ;)

3ampfuse
30th Jun 2006, 1:15 AM
WOOHOO! thanks a fruity bunch, Faylen! :up: i just did my first ever recolour alongside reading your tutorial. yey me :D *silently applauds herself* always wanted to know how to do this since coming across this site, thanks for helping us newbie-recolourers out! gonna turn into a recolouring nutcase now :blink: <-- i look like this now...

pyronexis
6th Jul 2006, 2:11 PM
Would you be able to answer this please?

I have 2 computers, 1 with win98SE and photoshop that I don't use very often
The other computer has WinXP, the game and photoshop.

When I open clothes with photoshop in WinXP everything works out fine but when I open hair in Windows Explorer or Photoshop they will crash.

When I open clothes with photoshop in Win98 everything works out fine and nothing crashes.

Can you tell me how to adjust my settings in XP so Photoshop as well as Windows Explorer will not crash in XP when opening hair projects?

Faylen
6th Jul 2006, 9:43 PM
There could actually be a number of different issues as to why this is happening. I doubt I could tell you myself, but if you are more specific, I might be able to pick the right brains. How much free memory do you have, what kind of video card do you have, what driver version do you have, and which eps do you have - all of these could be contributing factors. Also, if you're getting an error message, telling what that error message is, specifically, would be helpful.

pyronexis
7th Jul 2006, 4:30 PM
There could actually be a number of different issues as to why this is happening. I doubt I could tell you myself, but if you are more specific, I might be able to pick the right brains. How much free memory do you have, what kind of video card do you have, what driver version do you have, and which eps do you have - all of these could be contributing factors. Also, if you're getting an error message, telling what that error message is, specifically, would be helpful.

The older computer with Win98SE has the least amount of memory and the worst graphics card.

The newer computer with XP has a decent graphics card and plenty of memory.

Opening hair projects in XP crashes Photoshop if opened there, but other projects don't crash when opening thier folders. It also crashes windows explorer in Xp as well when I use it to open the hair folder.

The old computer works fine opening the hair folder, no problems.

It gets annoying that I have to transfer things on floppy to the old computer just to modify hair color or shape.

HystericalParoxysm
7th Jul 2006, 10:52 PM
That can happen if, for some reason, the files within the folder have invalid filenames. I've had Windows Explorer and Photoshop crash when opening certain directories containing files with long, odd filenames (created from exporting a .png image from SimPE, but I suppose it could happen coming out of Body Shop too).

What hair are you recolouring that's doing this? If it's a custom hair that's a recolour of a recolour of a recolour (i.e. a project made from a project made from a project - gone in and out of Body Shop several times) that may be causing the long invalid filename problem.

FunnyGirlHannah
9th Jul 2006, 9:42 PM
how do you get photoshop??? I have Windows Explorer Xp.

Faylen
10th Jul 2006, 2:39 AM
PhotoShop is a program you buy. There are links to that and to other less expensive or free programs in the Skinning FAQs thread in the Skinning Forum.

Jasmine206
12th Jul 2006, 2:29 AM
You have to buy it?

oreardon94
12th Jul 2006, 4:38 PM
i cant open my body shop :wtf:

HystericalParoxysm
12th Jul 2006, 5:25 PM
... that's not really related to this tutorial, though, oreardon94. I suggest you read the FAQs in the Game Help section for that.

pyronexis
12th Jul 2006, 10:45 PM
That can happen if, for some reason, the files within the folder have invalid filenames. I've had Windows Explorer and Photoshop crash when opening certain directories containing files with long, odd filenames (created from exporting a .png image from SimPE, but I suppose it could happen coming out of Body Shop too).

What hair are you recolouring that's doing this? If it's a custom hair that's a recolour of a recolour of a recolour (i.e. a project made from a project made from a project - gone in and out of Body Shop several times) that may be causing the long invalid filename problem.

Long odd file names? It happens with all hair projects on my computer (WinXP) regardless :(

Faylen
13th Jul 2006, 1:12 PM
>Are< you getting any error message?

pyronexis
13th Jul 2006, 5:32 PM
Nope, nada. Lastnight I tried to recolor some hair (in XP) and it sort of worked by creating a zipfile of the folder, deleting the alpha files in the rar file, unzipping elsewhere, recoloring, rezippping as a rar file and unzipping each bmp one at a time and hoping my zip program wouln't crash each time. :(

Faylen
13th Jul 2006, 8:33 PM
This sounds like something way bigger than what should be addressed in this tutorial. Maybe you should start a new thread in the Skinning forums so it gets a bit wider exposure, maybe someone who's had the same problem will spot it and be able to help.

pyronexis
13th Jul 2006, 11:42 PM
Ok, I will. Thankyou ;)

wonderstar
14th Jul 2006, 5:03 AM
.....i...nowonder..la...i...don..have...the..photoshop....erm...where..to...buy..it...and...how..much?

HystericalParoxysm
14th Jul 2006, 5:06 AM
...you... might try... google...or reading... the skinning...faq...at the...top of this... forum...why...do...you...type...like...this?

Gprincess1024@yahoo.com
18th Jul 2006, 6:12 AM
:!: Jasmin206, you don't have to buy it. Well, you do, but you can try a 31-Day risk free trial, but you would have to create an Acrobat account. :!: :jest: :lol: :jest:

raekira
25th Jul 2006, 3:23 AM
I just want to tell you thank you for the tutorial. I'm saving this forever, because I'll never remember it offhand xD. But thanks for it anyway! After three or four tries, I finally got it to work. I had to use ImageReady and Paint to save it, but I got it done.
*Goes off to check the file in her game to make sure it works*

Frangellica
27th Jul 2006, 12:42 PM
Am I the only one here who does not get a word of this??

Faylen; you go straight from being in photoshop to having your project loaded into Bodyshop, have you not thought for other people who dont find it as obviouse as others, that you should explain: where to save your file, which files you need to save and if it needs a certain name.. how you load your project into bodyshop. I have tried on numerouse occasions to get my way around Bodyshop and I still cannot seem to do so. Plesae could you elaborate on these points.

Sorry to sound abit brash but im getting abit fedup of these people who cant write tutorials, (no, i am not saying you are one of them) and never seeming to help any newcomers. Everyone has been raving about the tutorials on this site; saying they are especialy good, so i was abit dissapointed to see that you have not covered all the areas. If you could please help me out of my stupid state it would be much appreciated :D

Thankyou for listenin to my rants :P

Frangellica x

HystericalParoxysm
27th Jul 2006, 10:19 PM
Frangellica, if this is confusing you, go back and try the clothing recolouring tutorials. She explains how to load your project into Body Shop in this tutorial, but if you're getting confused about the rest, maybe you need to go do something simpler, more basic.

GreyGoldfishes
31st Jul 2006, 9:12 PM
i really think this would be a great turtorial, if i just could see the pictures :S

SSSoooSSS
31st Jul 2006, 9:25 PM
How come i cant see the pictures?

tiggerypum
31st Jul 2006, 9:51 PM
Actually they were all at the bottom, but a change in the thumbnail servers broke them in the text. All fixed now.

Darsky
1st Aug 2006, 12:06 AM
Awesome!!! (as usual!)

I've learned so much from your many tutorials!

I'm overwhelmed at the amazing talent and generosity of all the creators... much less the TIME you must spend creating and writing tutorials!

The rest of us wouldn't have a prayer without your guidance.

THANK YOU,
Dara Hinson
aka Darsky
Texas, USA :D

GreyGoldfishes
1st Aug 2006, 3:27 PM
I can see the pictures :D a miracle ;P thx so much. this will help me so much :) <3

Faylen
3rd Aug 2006, 7:17 PM
Frangelica, the reason that you're confused is that this tutorial is based on the assumption that you read the leveled tutorials stickied at the top of the forum. Clothing is the simplest, most basic thing you can recolor in body shop, so all the techniques are covered using clothing in the first four tutorials. Everything below the stickies assumes a certain level of knowledge, which is why at the beginning I state "just like clothing". . . The assumption is that you're going to learn the easy stuff first and then go to more complex techniques. If we were to make every single tutorial an absolute beginners' tutorial, some of them would run on for hundreds of pages.

takeemma
4th Aug 2006, 5:51 AM
Always think Reolor hair is a difficult matter Oh, read this guide, I would go back is to try and try. Thank you

Evangelira
4th Aug 2006, 11:16 PM
Your tutorial is awesome, thanks! Just a question though... Sometimes the recoloured hair appears to be blurry...is this normal? It's just not as detailed as the original mesh.

Faylen
5th Aug 2006, 1:23 AM
Blurry, pixelated - the fix is linked in the Skinning FAQs thread.

whiteswan1688
5th Aug 2006, 5:32 AM
hi faylen,

let me thank you first for posting so many great tutorials for us... i didn't have any prior experiences on image editing before but i somehow managed to learn the basic recoloring on clothes in 5 min...wow... i really impressed myself!

however i am kind of stuck when i tried to do the selective recoloring since i am using a PaintShopPro, not Photoshop... even though both programs are similar, but i couldn't find the "fill" function in PSP...or maybe it's in another wording or something...

so i was wondering if you could be kind enough to give us the same tutorials you provided before IN PSP... i know it's a lot to ask but of all the other tutorials out there, i only read yours because you explain things the best... but if you are busy and don't have time to do all that, that's all right too...

god bless you for all those great jobs you have done!

:beer: :rofl: :mod: :lovestruc :luff:

Faylen
6th Aug 2006, 3:54 PM
Yes, it would be pretty amazing if I did that. However, then I'd also have to learn GIMP, Paint.net, CorelDraw. . .you get the picture.

Look, I was known for years as the Turnip Queen - completely inept in all things computer. I taught myself everything, simply by trial and error, and googling tutorials (even unrelated ones). If I can do it, so can you, and I think you'll retain it better, too, if you just play around and see what you can do.

whiteswan1688
9th Aug 2006, 8:57 AM
Hi Falyen,

I will take your advise and try to learn Paintshop Pro on my own. But before I even do that, I am trying to learn Photoshop first with your tutorials now. I figure that once I know how to use the harder program, it would be easier for me to master in PSP... And maybe pretty soon, I will come up with my own tutorials on PSP...

But just one quick question though, do you know if PSP is the second most popular editing program that simmers use for skinning and recoloring? There are just tons of editing programs out there and I don't know which one to download... Maybe you could give me an idea...

Lastly I just wanna say that you really did a good job on those basic clothing tutorials... I am almost done with the 4th one... Actually, they should call you the "Turnip Goddess!!!"

:-)

WhiteSwan

tiggerypum
9th Aug 2006, 7:14 PM
whiteswan - photoshop is not harder, it's more expensive. If you have access, just use photoshop. PSP and photoshop have similar capabilities (some filters might vary, some commands might require slightly different steps). They do have different interfaces - as a photoshop user, I sometimes am slightly lost in PSP and have a hard time finding my way around (was trying to help a friend with PSP). If you are able to invest a bit of $$, PSP is a very good program and there are a lot of people on the web using PSP.

For those unable to pay, there is GIMP. GIMP can do all the basic stuff, including the layer things. GIMP has yet another interface, which is less polished than Photoshop or PSP, which people need to learn. It probably has a few less of the fancier options, but it's pretty solid and powerful. We expect to have some beginning GIMP clothing tutorials on the site soon.

gangreen gang
18th Aug 2006, 1:50 PM
Is there anyway you do can do nice recolors in paint, as i don't have photoshop and when i try and do recolors in paint, they just go into one solid colour and it can look unrealistic. Please help

tiggerypum
18th Aug 2006, 8:42 PM
Go to the FAQ. Go get yourself GIMP and learn how to use that.

gangreen gang
18th Aug 2006, 10:36 PM
Ok, thanks.

Juniparr
26th Aug 2006, 3:34 AM
Thanks for the tutorial. I have a few Sims with custom skin colors (blue, pink, green sims, etc.) and it's really hard to find hair styles that fit their skin. This way I can recolor some of the Maxis styles to fit my fantasy-colored Simmies :D

I tried it, but I have a small problem. I feel terrible for asking, but I was just wondering if any of you could help?

I've created the hair recolors fine in Body Shop. When I open the game and change my Sims hair, that's when things get a little strange. In this particular household I had the Texture setting in "Medium", and as soon as I changed the Sims hair I noticed it look choppy. I played around and noticed that UNLESS I have the Texture setting to "High" the hair doesn't look right. It's hard to explain, so I have taken some screenshots.

This is how the recolored hair looks from the front. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Wearealltrash/sims2customhair/CustomHair_med_front.png)

This is the recolored hair from the back. Notice the "choppy-ness", how it fades, and how the barrette is totally plain. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Wearealltrash/sims2customhair/CustomHair_med_back.png)

That is with the settings on "Medium" if I switch to "High" the hair looks fine.

I find it weird that the custom hair looks like that, cause for example, the original Maxis hair looks OK with the Texture setting in "Medium". The game lags a bit with the Texture setting in "High" (a huge household with five Sims is a bit too much for my video card), and although it doesnt look THAT bad I want to know if it can be fixed. This doesnt happen with any other custom hair styles... and I have a lot! What could I be doing wrong?

The Maxis hair from the front. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Wearealltrash/sims2customhair/MaxisHair_med_front.png)

And this is the back. Looks nice :( (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Wearealltrash/sims2customhair/MaxisHair_med_back.png)

Why the drastic change between hair styles? I hope I worded my questions right. Thanks so much in advance! Great tutorial!

Faylen
28th Aug 2006, 4:21 PM
Sometimes when you change a color, you'll lose some of the contrast. Photoshop has Image>Brightness/Contrast, try playing with that a bit.

Sae sae
12th Sep 2006, 2:30 AM
4. Bring up SimPE's Resource Finder. Paste the text you copied from the property set into the resource finder and then search. It may take several minutes to finish and won't respond while it's searching. This will find every piece related to the mesh with that name, including all its Maxis recolours, including the "styles" ones.
5. In the results, you should have a list of quite a few things. Scroll down till you start seeing lines that start with "Large Image File" (not Texture Image - those are much smaller images and not what you want) - read the text after the underscore. That should give you a good idea of which each one is (blonde, brown, pink, grey, etc.). There will be two of each kind - make sure you get the one with the 0 in it, not the 1 (the 0's are the right size, the 1's are smaller files). When you find one that sounds like the one you want, double-click it.

Finally bit the bullet and downloaded SimPE. I'm at this stage now. I'm not finding anything called Large Image File, though. Where should this be? In the lists below? Is it more like largeimagefile or somesuch? I can find the one I want in there (amhairpgskater_blend) but what should I do with it since, like I said, no Large Image File line in sight. Do I need to be on a certain view mode to find this or somesuch?

Thanks again for the help :)

HystericalParoxysm
12th Sep 2006, 5:13 AM
Ah, okay. Well, it may be slightly more complicated than I originally thought, Sae sae. Sorry about that. With that particular style, search for "skater" instead of "amhairpgskater" - for some reason they're named "umhairpgskater" instead. If you search just for "skater" you should find the Large Image Files including umhairpgskater_blend0_lifo, which is what you want to open and export. :)

Sae sae
12th Sep 2006, 5:20 PM
Lol... Thank you, Hyst. Doing this one little recolor is proving so complicated it's humorous. I will check that out this afternoon... And at least I'll know how to do it for next time :)

obsessisim
25th Sep 2006, 6:35 PM
Faylen, I found your tutorial helpful and well-written, but became stuck on one point, I'm hoping you'll elaborate please. I'm not new to skinning, retexturing, I'd say halfway between novice and intermediate, lol. When you say, all you have to do is "save as" for some reason I found this confusing, sometimes it's the most simple things that leave us stumped. Did you mean save as, using the name of the new colour, or that we don't have to recolour that file? Sometimes I am just recolouring for a specific age group and would love to by-pass the rest. For some reason that one sentence just threw me, I'm sorry I just wasn't entirely certain what you meant. Thanks.
p.s. I am using photoshop.

tiggerypum
26th Sep 2006, 6:14 AM
Faylen is using 'save as' because for this hair the different layers in the hair all actually use the same image layout, and most hairstyles do. In the tutorial example, each of the ages child-elder has 3 images for the hair, and they do all use the same layout. So, when you are recoloring, you need to replace _all_ the files for that age (and probably all ages). So you 'save as' and give it the correct names (and also use BMP for the output format) and do it again and again for all the files that you want to be colored the same way.

So at first she got the adult hair right by using 'save as' and saving the 3 adult bmps. Once she was happy with that, she repeated save as 3x for teen, 3x for child. Then she made the gray version and save as 3x for elder. I don't think she actually looked at the toddler hair in the tutorial - one could open one of the toddler hairs, adjust the color to match, and save as many of those as are needed.

Note, if you're not recoloring the hair for other ages, you might consider if you want to remove them from the recolor file, I believe you can.

Did this make it clearer, or worse?

obsessisim
26th Sep 2006, 4:47 PM
Okay I understand, that's how I've been doing it. I got hung up on the words, "all you have to do is save as" I wondered maybe if there was a shortcut I was missing, lol, wishful thinking. I still learned a couple of things from this tutorial though, and I didn't know I could remove files from hair, hmmm. I probably won't mess with that though, not quite that brave. thanks again.

laddition
5th Oct 2006, 6:56 AM
Thanks for all!! My english is poor, but i'm gonna try it ^^

Kitiara
9th Oct 2006, 4:12 AM
crazy question. I have this gorgeous color I ame up with just messing around. Is there a way to apply said color to all the meshes (both maxis and custom) without loosing any of the detail in the hair?

HystericalParoxysm
9th Oct 2006, 7:29 AM
Kitiara - You would have to go and recolour every Maxis and custom mesh (that you have) to match, tweaking the colour on each one. Depending on what the colour is (and what the original is) they may vary slightly, and they'll certainly vary somewhat in texturing (since Maxis meshes are handpainted and many custom meshes are either computer generated textures or photoskinned). There's no "apply this colour to everything" button anywhere, and recolouring all those meshes would be -quite- a big undertaking (several days worth of projects). I suggest you maybe choose certain meshes that you really like that would be pretty in that colour, and just do those to match.

Kitiara
9th Oct 2006, 2:51 PM
Thanks. Was hoping there was a shortcut *giggle* Oh well... looks like my days off are gonna be spent recoloring my hairs!

wolfgal
24th Oct 2006, 5:55 PM
Thank you for that explain how to make hair color. Unfortune I don't have Adobe Photo which are not same from my computer. I don't know how to get the .package file.

I_have_a_big_imagination
18th Nov 2006, 4:36 AM
Thank you so much, this really helped me

kakashi-sensei
18th Nov 2006, 10:06 PM
what about if u dont have photoshop!!

katjeslove
20th Dec 2006, 5:43 PM
thank you!

abidazz8
23rd Dec 2006, 9:18 PM
Hi thanks so much for the tutorial. I had figured out about the hue/saturation button but I was getting really annoyed cos I couldn't figure out a way to put streaks and stuff in my Sims hair now I can thanks to your tutorial. I'm going to go and do some and hopefully upload on here (eventually) thanks again your an angel!!

Khallayne
24th Dec 2006, 8:26 PM
I found this extremely helpful. Especially the tips on making it look good. The one thing I didn't get at first was the file names, and how they tell you which age group they are with the first letter. Duh! But now I know and that makes it so much easier :)

frankscrank99
28th Dec 2006, 5:47 AM
Woot! I did it, I finally made my own recolours, I do not have to beg other people to do them anymore *feels proud* Thanks for the great help, I am not such an idiot anymore!

Judfer
30th Dec 2006, 3:24 PM
Thanks. Was hoping there was a shortcut *giggle* Oh well... looks like my days off are gonna be spent recoloring my hairs!

If you have Photoshop (or PSP) you can make an Action which will apply the same steps over and over to the various files. Automating the recoloring process might help speed things along.

BUGGINBABS78
12th Jan 2007, 3:55 PM
i cant open the rar, it says unexpected end of archive. i want to be able to read it when off line.

dorcam233
9th Feb 2007, 11:34 AM
I have paint. at the beginning I had just solid colour but then I decided to find some hair pics on the internet saved it, copied a little part and paste it on the hair file and it came ok

mammut
19th Feb 2007, 1:15 PM
HI!

Thank you so much for this tutorial!

Although I haven't got photoshop yet, but Picture it!9, I have managed to recolor and cut my first hair.
But I am a bit confused, because the hair-package, which I found in the SavedSims-folder, has about 3.6 MBs.
Isn't that too much?
I have already downloaded some hair-recolors, and they are much smaller (between 150 and 700 KBs).
What is wrong with my files?

tiggerypum
20th Feb 2007, 7:43 AM
did you put different colors or do different edits on the different graphics? I think bodyshop (but I'm not sure how it does it) can use shared pictures. Hopefully someone who has recolored a lot of hair will have more insight to add.

mammut
20th Feb 2007, 9:22 AM
Yes, I put different colors on different graphics.
But each grafic has got 768 KB anyway, no matter if I change it or not......
And that's why the folder of each project has about 50 MB, there are about 10 pictures for each age!
But the finished file should be smaller.
Perhaps I should write a message to Faylen.

Babyalex07
4th Mar 2007, 11:44 AM
Hiya, thanx for the terrific advice I'll be using these tips on the Sims thats for sure, but there's just 1 thing I really need help on, I'm trying to make multicoloured hair-do's for the female sims but I dont know which files to choose when I'm on photoshop, and I'm very frustrated, could you tell me which specific files to click plz? :help:

thank you very much for all the tutorials btw :D

HystericalParoxysm
4th Mar 2007, 12:20 PM
mammut, what you were getting is to be expected if you used different colours for each image. Body Shop will share identical images for different layers, but if your layers are all different, your files will be bigger - there are more pictures for it to store.

Babyalex07, the first two files for each age will be the texture and alpha for the "hair" group, most often the scalp. Beyond that it's all for other layers of hair. We can't tell you exactly which files to click on as each project is different. To see what files are for what parts, make a copy of the original file so you still have the textures, then dump a solid colour into the original, save, and reload the project. Whatever part is then bright pink or whatever is the part that uses that texture. You can then use the original texture and edit it to your liking, knowing that part will change when you save over that texture. Repeat as necessary for all the parts till you know what everything is.

SyLvAnAsRuLz
5th Mar 2007, 2:00 AM
where u get photobucket?? :P lol i dont have it :giggler:

tiggerypum
5th Mar 2007, 2:25 AM
SyLvAnAsRuLz

PhotoSHOP is an image editing program that people buy. Go read the FAQ for info about 2 other programs which are free that also are good for editing these sort of graphics. Then if you want to make something, start with the BEGINNING bodyshop tutorials, which work on clothing. Find the one that matches the program you got. Then do them, like exactly as written.

Christi1971
7th Mar 2007, 10:25 AM
Could you please explain to me how you do the shine? I like to hand paint mine,but the problem is only my blond turns out the way it should,the other colors not so good,I have used various methods but too no avail,I thought maybe you might have a way that could help.

Thank you,
Chris

Bagfran
14th Mar 2007, 9:43 AM
Very helpful tutorial - followed the instructions and it worked perfectly - many thanks!

:cool:

mammut
15th Mar 2007, 3:00 PM
tiggerypum and HystericalParoxysm, THANK YOU for your help!
After hving been lost in 4 seasons during the last days, I tried to use identical images for my recolors yesterday, and my files are much smaller now ;o))

$RaMRoM$
28th Mar 2007, 4:48 PM
Thanks Faylen all your tutorials r great
they're just simple and great :gjob: :up:

bannasweetie
6th Apr 2007, 2:58 AM
Omg thank you so much now my blonds won't look so...fake

starwyn
23rd Apr 2007, 3:34 PM
Great tut :) Haven't started this one yet, wanted to read all the questions first but before i go ahead and wait the 25 minutes for BS to load i will ask this (again with the save as) Silly question probably but save as what? So if i was recolouring a blonde hair and wanted to make it a different shade i could just name it blonde2 yeh? And what sort of file am i saving it as? And since it's a 'save as' that means i would have to save it TO somewhere so would i save it to my downloads folder? Basically i just want to recol Raonjena's blondes because they are so unnatural looking
Also maybe i need glasses as i can't exactly see which files are selected in the pic but if i just want to do adult hair, Do i need to select those 20 odd files that are highlighted in the pic?? Sorry , that just looks like an awful lot of files to recolour just for one hairstyle. I'm just a little lost with the explainations on that part of it.
And yes i have had a go at recolouring clothes, i like that :)

Actually, that was quite a lot of questions and you're all going to be annoyed with me now :( But i do really appreciate the effort you put into the tut

tiggerypum
23rd Apr 2007, 11:29 PM
Starwyn - hair is just like clothing - you might need to use 'save as' to overwrite the bmp file (and make sure it doesn't say 'copy' in the filename) It has to have the exact same name as you started with - just like any other bodyshop project graphic edit. A hair recolor is for all ages, so yeah, there are a lot of files there.

So the 'blonde2' thing is meaningless. You save into your project folder as always. When you're done and you've imported your finished hair into the game, then you can rename your saved sims file to whatever you want.

Btw, if your bodyshop loads really slowly, consider removing most of your custom content (except whatever you're recoloring) while you're working on a project. Just make a second folder and throw your downloads/saved sims files into it (depending on how you have stuff sorted)

starwyn
24th Apr 2007, 2:11 AM
Cool. I think i get it now :D Can't wait to try this out
Thankyou SO much!

starwyn
28th Apr 2007, 6:20 AM
Hi
Just popped in to say i did it! It was actually very easy but very time consuming *sigh* Black is the easiest and i can't get the blonde right yet...but with practice :)
Anyways thanks a lot for the tut :)

absolutelyfabulous7
29th Apr 2007, 10:52 PM
i cannot express my thanks to you in words.... ok i probs can THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKOUYTHANKYOU.... i could go on! Hairs are the one thing i never really got my head around but i somehow think ill find it alot easier to do..... if i can only figure out how to work where things are on the GIMP i should be fine. Thankyou again Faylen.

igottapi4
22nd May 2007, 5:36 PM
hi i have a problem, i have a new cc hair i got and a favorite cc hair colour. whats the best way to get the colour from my fav and change the colour of the new cc hair.

tiggerypum
22nd May 2007, 11:08 PM
igottapi4 pretty much every hairstyle uses a different layout for the graphics.

If you want to match a hair color....

Make a new project with the hair that has the color you like, so you can access the graphics.
Make a new project with the hair you want to recolor - hopefully with a color that is similar to the hair color you want to match

1) Take the hair graphic (well start with 1) from the hair you are recoloring and open it with your image editing program.
2) Open up a color reference graphic from the other project. Select a section of it that has a good sampling of the color
3) Copy the sample hair color section - then go to the hair you want to change and paste it onto a new layer as a reference.
4) Go to the layer that has the hair you are recoloring to match. Now using your color/hue/saturation/light/dark/etc sliders, get that hair to look as close to the other color as you can. BEFORE you say 'okay' jot down the changes you made with the sliders
5) Delete (or hide) the sample layer, and save out your hair graphic to your project
6) Load in another graphic that needs the color shift and shift it using the settings you wrote down, save - repeat for all the graphics in that hair set
7) Go back to bodyshop and refresh/load your project. Check all the ages, etc, and then import when you're done.

igottapi4
23rd May 2007, 4:58 AM
actually after posting i when to download the trial version of photoshop and started investigating on my own, and found a very easy technique.

all you have to do is open a file from each, then use the eyedropper tool to get the colour you want. then you have to pick the color replacement tool and just paint the hair. its soo easy it takes less than 5 minutes.

thanks for the help anyways, but like someone said here, sometime you just have to investigate yourself and find the way that fits to your liking.

p.s for those that cant afford photoshop like myself, with paintshop pro is just as easily.

im going on a hair recolour vacation.

Leia_black
29th May 2007, 12:46 AM
Thanks for this tutorial! It's really useful and easy to use! As a first timer it was fantastic, I understood all of it! Great Job!!

pennygirl325
4th Aug 2007, 6:28 PM
cool! thanks so much!!!!!!

spiritwaterwolf
9th Aug 2007, 1:26 AM
I just want to say that many of the tut's are pretty helpful and straight forward, but there are a few things that I'm not very clear on and wasn't able to find any information throughout the site. I have hair meshes and colours that were custom made, but what I want to do is change the colours. I have simPE and graphic editting programs that I have been using since the original sims, so I was wondering if anyone can inform me in how I can make these custom meshes available through body shop, or how to access the files in order to change the colours.

thanks and hope to hear back :rolleyes:

kingdomheartsgirl111
14th Aug 2007, 2:53 PM
great too bad i make all my CC from paint :(

tiggerypum
14th Aug 2007, 7:08 PM
spiritwaterwolf - custom hair should show up in bodyshop like any other. If it doesn't, and it is showing up in your game, you need to run the bodyshop that comes with your game.

kingdomheartsgirl - you simply cannot do complex edits with paint - gimp is free, if you learn how to use it, you can do pretty much whatever is done in photoshop with this tutorial with gimp or paint shop pro.

spectrumrhapsody
28th Sep 2007, 1:50 AM
How do you refresh Body Shop? When you save the recolor, do you check the "save as copy" box? I'm new to simming and photoshop. I have ver. 7.0.

HystericalParoxysm
28th Sep 2007, 6:51 AM
spectrumrhapsody - There's a small icon like a little whirling arrow, kind of circling back on itself, in the middle of the Body Shop panel toward the bottom. Click that to refresh your project. I believe this is covered on the clothing tutorials with pics. No, you don't save as a copy - you save over the original file or Body Shop won't see your changes.

talenzz
19th Oct 2007, 1:01 PM
Thanks for sharing, I' ll learn it

KittyLily
22nd Nov 2007, 3:22 AM
For some reason I cannot open any of the hair files. Clothes/skins and all other files open just fine but every time I try to open or even view a hair file it completely brings crashes the program opening it. :(

chelle523
30th Nov 2007, 3:55 AM
If you delete a custom hair for an elder/adult/young adult or teen, will it delete for children or toddlers? The reason I ask, is that I don't want all the adult hair styles in the custom bin, when they were altered to fit for toddlers... and kids... they were put in the right bin. But, if I manage to get them in the custom bin, then the hair is going to be in the right color bin AND the custom bin, and I don't want repeats. ThanksUm Yeah how do you get custom colors like in bins? What "BINS" Are you talking about? :(

AdiStroyer
20th Dec 2007, 11:53 PM
I've read many of the tutorials but I'm still having issues making the custom hair I want.

Here's my problem.
I'm trying to make "my" hair..which is very similar to the short choppy female maxis mesh in black but with some red bits. I've done what is said in this tutorial of selecting bits and then recolouring them and it looks perfect. But when I go and save it as all the "look alike" files there are no changes. I tried saving it as ALL the files and then ended up with a badlish wavy headed sim. there are 37 texture files and I'm wondering if I'm just changing the wrong ones? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by look alike files. Or mayb there's no tutorials for the more complex sim hairstyles?
Please give whatever help you can. Thankyou.

Edit: Figured it out myself, for anyone who is having this problem and seems to have lost their braisn as I have, redo EVERY version/texture/angle difference of the hairstyle, minus the "white" ones. When in doubt do a couple files at a time then check your difference on body shop, it's easier than screwing up and having to start over.

Thank you for this tutorial, It did help me a lot.

Viva Crazy People
24th Dec 2007, 8:19 AM
Thanks, this is a pretty understandable tutorial.

bottlewater
17th Jan 2008, 12:20 AM
Thanks for sharing, I didn't think it was that hard so I made the mistake of trying it myself before reading a tutorial, but then after I read through this it doesn't seem like I did anything wrong. BUT, anyway, I was recoloring a mesh and when I imported the new colors, on the child and toddoler hair there were some solid balck sections. What happened??

LilBettyBoop
30th Jan 2008, 8:02 PM
I have been wondering how to recolor hair, and now I know why there are tons of files, as some are just different parts and stuff! Thank you so much, now I can actually make some hair! Um....did that sound weird to you, too?

AnubisMaxwell
12th Feb 2008, 3:28 AM
Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing!!
Even though I still have a question.
I've recoloured a male gender hair, but I want to save it for female hair.
I don't have SimPE (Actually I have it, but it doesn't work, since I installed the latest expansion -Bon Voyard- and there is not version of simPE yet compatible with this expansion =_= ).
What should I do?
Change the name files?
Example:
amhair_Casual1~hair_alpha3~stdMatBaseTextureName.bmp
to
afhair_Casual1~hair_alpha3~stdMatBaseTextureName.bmp
?

tiggerypum
13th Feb 2008, 1:14 AM
anubismaxwell

If you mean - make a male hair show up on a female sim, the heads are not identical in shape and you cannot just make the hair work like that, even with simpe.

So you need to recolor the female version of the hair with bodyshop, if it exists, and do all the same steps, and if the layout is identical, you can just use the same graphics.

AnubisMaxwell
14th Feb 2008, 9:33 PM
anubismaxwell

If you mean - make a male hair show up on a female sim, the heads are not identical in shape and you cannot just make the hair work like that, even with simpe.

So you need to recolor the female version of the hair with bodyshop, if it exists, and do all the same steps, and if the layout is identical, you can just use the same graphics.

Yeah, is that ^^.
So, I must find the female version of it?? mhh... Ok... I think there isn't one :(
Anyways, thank you :)

missMSBplayer
14th Mar 2008, 2:14 PM
Hey thanks for the tutorial!

But I have 1 question....

So I recoloured the hair on my sim by using hue/saturation, and then I saved, and then I refreshed the hair, but the new colour isn't on the bangs! So I looked in the hair files and I didn't see a file that said "bangs", so now what?

TecnoGirl2
29th Mar 2008, 6:54 AM
Thnks much now i need to lern 2 make the mesh lol

SnoopY6love6
13th Apr 2008, 2:36 PM
good tutorial

alchemist
22nd Apr 2008, 8:55 PM
Wow, this is a wonderful and very patient tutorial! (And very patient reaction to questions that turn up a third time. I'll probably have some later on, but not before I searched through all the comments.)

Your tutorial answered all the questions I had and on the first try I've done two recolors already. I always kept clear of modding because it seems so difficult and time consuming, but now I'm hooked.

Thank you very much! (Or, considering how much time I'll probably spend creating medieval recolors: curse you. ;) )

pipatrada
3rd Jun 2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks s a lot, it's very useful.

Saphierocks
4th Jul 2008, 10:51 AM
Jasmine,
Yes, you do have to buy it, but there is a free 30 day trial that is exactly the same as if you buy it, with everything in it, but the really annoying thing is that it knows if you've downloaded it before, so you can't just keep getting that for free. So you should get the trial, see how much you can get out of it, then buy the full version if you want to.

Hope this helps,
Sapphire

samncath
9th Aug 2008, 8:20 PM
Thanks ! Ive always wanted to know how to do stuff like modding , and now im slowly beginning to get it . Thanks so much !!

Sparklypotato
24th Aug 2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks,excellent tutorial.

xGunZx666
8th Oct 2008, 8:33 AM
i tried a recolor but when i refreshed body shop, my sim ended up bald. wtf?

darkmojo
25th Oct 2008, 10:28 PM
I don't know what format this file uses but OpenOffice won't read it. Can anyone repost as an rtf, doc, or pdf?

42flamez
29th Nov 2008, 10:05 PM
i dont have photoshop!! i have the GIMP.. can you help me??

42flamez
3rd Dec 2008, 11:26 PM
Can someone please help!!!!!!! i have the GIMP! can someone tell meh wat to do?? and there are no piccies!!!!! i need help!! please??

talkenia
12th Feb 2009, 2:11 PM
i cannot find liquiyfy in paint.net the one i downloaded from internet......

haydie
9th Mar 2009, 7:27 AM
i am not sure on how to make my hair i recolour into like a adult instead it goes straght to elder hair with colour wich is what i dont want. How do i make it adult hair??

g1amgirl
15th Mar 2009, 1:59 PM
Yes, But I've found that GIMP, which is a free program, (links in Skinning FAQs) works equally as well. Because there was no tutorial for recolouring hair on GIMP, I had to experiment a lot, but I have now figured it out and can now recolour hair to almost any colour I want. There is another free paint edity thingy in the Skinning FAQs, but it just infuriates me because it is so basic. So, yeah, go with GIMP if you want a free one. If your not into wasting your time trying to figure out how to recolour hair, see the recolouring clothes for GIMP tutorial, because it is the same principal.

WerewolfPoet
25th Mar 2009, 10:19 PM
<3 You are an angel to all of the newbies like myself! Thank you so much! Now my Sims will have green hair...

cassarie2
12th Jul 2009, 6:51 PM
The pictures aren't showing up?

Chenbot
29th Jul 2009, 7:55 PM
It's not working. I make the hair a different color, but when I load it back up, the guy is bald. I didn't do anything to the files but recolor them.

pinkryana9
27th Mar 2010, 4:14 PM
:) that helped

pinkryana9
27th Mar 2010, 4:20 PM
It's not working. I make the hair a different color, but when I load it back up, the guy is bald. I didn't do anything to the files but recolor them. how do you make hair :|

Sadi Kalen
12th Apr 2010, 3:40 AM
I tried to download this tutorial and it worked but when I extracted it I was disappointed to see it was a .wps extention for some program I don't have. Is there any way you can make this tutorial into a .pdf document?

wolfie_sims_94
20th Jul 2010, 7:28 PM
Thank you so much, Faylen! :D I used this today and it worked perfectly~ :up:

Amtram
7th Sep 2010, 12:34 PM
One thing you can do with online tutorials is take a screen shot (Print Scr/Sys Rq button to the right of f12) and go into Photoshop or word and paste (ctrl-v) Cut out the overlaps, arrange it to fit, and then you can save or print it.

If only some of the hair you're recoloring is showing up, it's because you haven't saved your recolor as each of the individual hair files. Some hairs have as many a 6 or 7 texture files, and while the image may look exactly the same for each of them, the texture is applied to only certain sections of the mesh.

As for the really old question, if the hair goes away, check your alpha file. That's like a mask that lets the texture show through only where it's supposed to, and if you change that, you block out the texture.

rikunobody
12th Dec 2010, 3:35 PM
I fully understand this tutorial, i've also recolord some hair and did some experiments with it, but now my question is,
how do i recolor hair that's from someone else, i did maxis hair and that worked fine, but in bodyshope the downloaded hair doesn't really show up and it does in-game, do u maybe have a tutorial for that?

thesimmer007
19th Jan 2011, 6:48 PM
Hi, great turorial, just one thing that I don´t understand.

When I´m gonna open photoshop, there´s just a HUGE number of files within the original hair files which I imported. :blink:
I have no idea which to open and start working with!
Thankful for answers.

fakepeeps7
19th Jan 2011, 11:50 PM
When I´m gonna open photoshop, there´s just a HUGE number of files within the original hair files which I imported. :blink:
I have no idea which to open and start working with!

If you just want to recolour a certain age group (say, adult), you pick the ones that start with the appropriate prefixes, like "amhair" or "afhair". If you want to recolour all age groups, you'll have to alter all the files.

The age groups are pretty self-explanatory.

a=adult
c=child
e=elder
p=toddler
t=teen

Ferr
25th Aug 2011, 10:38 PM
D: I have a problem. I recolour the hair from blonde to pink, but when I put the hair on the body shop it looks good but some gray layers appears :C

like this:

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/70/thisbo.jpg

lorelei92950
25th Oct 2011, 6:52 PM
Is there no way to get the photos back in this tutorial? Or is it available on Wiki?

lorelei92950
25th Oct 2011, 6:53 PM
D: I have a problem. I recolour the hair from blonde to pink, but when I put the hair on the body shop it looks good but some gray layers appears :C

like this:

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/70/thisbo.jpg

I've had this happen and it usually means you missed a "layer". Check to see that all images you need have been recolored.

lorelei92950
25th Oct 2011, 6:55 PM
Every time I try to color senior hair there seems to be no way because the only color available to start out with is the gray/white. I'm used to recoloring but I work from the base colors of brown, red, black and blonde. Help?

lorelei92950
25th Oct 2011, 6:57 PM
The thing is I don't need the photos for myself. I actually copied this a couple months ago when they were still available, but I'd like to be able to give the link to people who ask.

Mootilda
25th Oct 2011, 8:41 PM
First, you should not quadruple post. Use the edit button to add information to your existing post.

If you have the pictures, why not attach them to your post? Then, the moderators may be able to point the tutorial to the pictures in your post.

MrsM'Quve
29th Mar 2012, 12:02 AM
Faylen, thank you so much for this tutorial. Most of my sims are characters from video games and anime, so it's not always easy to find the style I want in just the right color. I had no trouble understanding the directions, and it was a lot easier than I thought! Now I can have any hairstyle in obnoxious colors!

Lyanna1010
30th Mar 2012, 12:38 PM
how do i even get body shop

Mootilda
30th Mar 2012, 3:27 PM
how do i even get body shopBody shop comes with the game.

mmtorres27
26th Oct 2013, 6:31 PM
I can't see the pictures. Can anyone fix that?

fakepeeps7
26th Oct 2013, 9:22 PM
I can't see the pictures. Can anyone fix that?

You can see the pictures at the end of the post. It's awkward, but I doubt this thread will be updated to fix the links; it is over 7 years old, after all!

peinXlover123456789
29th Jun 2014, 10:36 PM
hey thanks for the tip before I got adobe photoshop 7.0 from my aunt,i use paint for the hair and stuffand it's a pain but it's easier now that I have my own photoshop now

Kafelove
26th Sep 2014, 6:51 PM
Thanks for this tutorial <3

C.Syde65
7th Jun 2016, 4:55 AM
This doesn't look too bad. I feel so guttered knowing that I have Adobe Photoshop CS4, but it's refusing to let me install it permanently, as I don't have the code information to install it permanently.

annelfwind
13th Jul 2016, 11:36 PM
Woot! This tutorial was a life saver.
Oh, and to those that don't have photoshop, get photo filtre, it's free and works just as well. AT least for me, even though I also have photoshop.