PDA

View Full Version : Problem with the alpha layer

pinketamine
29th Nov 2009, 3:11 AM
Well, I have created a pattern, and I want it to have four layers. My problem is that when I try to save it, i get an error message saying "too many channels (5)"
How can I solve this?

MetalKat0642
29th Nov 2009, 12:35 PM
Five channels is really too many. How do you create the alpha channel?

pinketamine
29th Nov 2009, 10:29 PM
I create it in the channels tab of photoshop, clicking the create new channel icon.
I have in total the RGB changel, the red, the green and the blue channel... and the alpha.

MetalKat0642
1st Dec 2009, 11:29 PM
I have no idea about Photoshop, but clicking the "new channel" icon in GIMP brings similar problems. In GIMP, you either right-click a layer and select "add alpha channel" or create a transparent image (which automatically has alpha)

I think that creating a new transparent image in Photoshop should create an alpha channel automatically.

BabaYaga
2nd Dec 2009, 8:49 AM
Make sure your image is flattened (in the layers palette menu). It needs to have just one layer, and it needs to show up in the layers tab as "background" not "layer 0" or "layer 1". Any non-background layer has transparency info and that's where the fifth channel comes from. This true even the layer doesn't have any transparent parts and there are no other layers.

pinketamine
3rd Dec 2009, 5:35 PM
Ok, BabaYaga, incredibly, that was the problem, this was driving me crazy, because I did not have other layer. Thank you.