PDA

View Full Version : New Feature: Post Buttons!

HystericalParoxysm
1st May 2010, 7:13 PM
Hi all!

You may have noticed a fun new feature that Delphy has just added to MTS: post buttons! These are small buttons that appear at the bottom of each post.

Some details:

Toggleable: You can click a button and see the count on the button change - it adds one for each person that clicks the button. If you click the button again, it removes 1 from the count. Once you've clicked a button, it'll go bold to show that you've clicked it.

Everywhere But Downloads: Buttons will show on all posts on the site, in every area, except for those in the Downloads section.

Multi-Click: You can click all buttons, some, or none - clicking agree doesn't prevent you from clicking disagree.

Anonymous: Button clicking is completely anonymous - there's no way for users to tell who clicked the buttons.

Self-Click: You can click your own buttons, if you're feeling like some button-mashturbation.

Near-Instant: The updated count should show up automatically without having to reload the page. It may take half a second or so to register though.

The Love Button: Click "love" to show that you love the content of the post, or just as kind of an internet hug, if someone posts that they're having a bad day.

And as a special aside, we'd like to give a huge thanks to Casey and Ravelry (http://www.ravelry.com) for the inspiration for these buttons. While we know other sites do similar buttons, being on Ravelry every day made me really miss the ability to click someone's love button here. If you're a knitter, crocheter, spinner, or weaver, make sure to check out Ravelry for awesomeness and a cute little doggie.

If you have any questions about the post buttons or experience any bugs, please let us know. Make sure to tell us what internet browser and version you're using, if you have bugs! Do Help > About in your browser to see your browser and version.

Have fun, and happy simming!

ellacharmed
1st May 2010, 7:30 PM
"click my own buttons" mashturbation? :rofl:!

Love xxxxxxxxxxxxx - oh noes! My mouse button died!
It's complaining to much love giveth..haha

rainbowtwilight
1st May 2010, 7:53 PM
Cute idea but the buttons dont seem to be working for me. When I click them, they don't do anything... or maybe I just don't know how to use them :|

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention I have IE 8.0 on this computer

joninmobile
1st May 2010, 7:57 PM
I love it!

HystericalParoxysm
1st May 2010, 8:03 PM
rainbowtwilight - Can you please tell us what internet browser and version you're using? Do Help > About in your browser to see your browser and version. Perhaps it's a version issue.

Can we have your exact version, found that way - I have IE 8 and it has more than just 8.0 - mine's 8.0.7600.16385 - what's yours? :)

They should work just with a regular click - you'll see, for example, "love (1)" will change to "love (2)" or "funny" will change to "funny (1)", and it'll go bold.

Edit: Okay, a note: if you click a second time, it will remove the count from the post. However, right now it doesn't unbold it when you click the second time.

And if someone else has clicked that same button it in the mean time, it may not look as if the count changes - it may even go up, as it's updating the count for that particular button when you unclick, based on the count on the server. This probably works the other way too - if you click on a button when it says just "agree" it might suddenly say "agree (2)" - it didn't add 2 just from you, it was that another person clicked "agree" between when you loaded that page (and scrolled down to that point in the page) and the time you clicked the "agree" button.

It does make sense to do it this way, it's just kind of wonky from a user perspective, sometimes. :wtf:

There may be some kinks to iron help. Detailed bug reports - especially with browser version numbers - are really useful, guys. ;)

Tashiketh
1st May 2010, 8:32 PM
Okay couple of changes:

1. The buttons now show bold if you have clicked one previously, or normal if you have not
2. Clicking a button will turn it temporarily italic. Once the process has completed, it will return italics to normal

Also, another note: The button values are populated as you scroll down. If you go too fast, the servers have to play catch up, so it can take a second or two to update. :)

Srikandi
1st May 2010, 11:27 PM
Hmm... when I first read HP's first post, it had Love (2). I clicked her love button four times, and it went 2 - 1 - 0 - 1 :/ In other words, it SUBTRACTED points until it was 0, then added one. After that, additional clicks didn't change it.

Sorry HP! Didn't mean to reduce your Love total!

Overall I love this idea! Though I would have added "verbose" and "argumentative", just so I personally could clean up on points ;)

Simonut
2nd May 2010, 2:24 AM
Oh Goodness :turtle: everytime I crawl out of my hole there is another idea, being that I am a turtle, and very slow I can not keep up with all these good ideas. I like the fact because I am on the slow side of the world, I can now just hit the tab "DISAGREE" For everything new and fast, So with that said I will now crawl back into my hole. :turtle: lmao hahahaha

I'mSimalicious!
2nd May 2010, 5:10 AM
Haha, now not only do we have to compete for the most downloads and the most thanks, now we have to compete for the most agrees and helpfuls and funnys and loves. Ouch.

Lol jk. :)

arathea
2nd May 2010, 6:16 AM
Will there be post buttons for the Moddeth Thine Sims style, too? I had to change the style to see them.

HystericalParoxysm
2nd May 2010, 8:01 AM
Srikandi - We got a -1 once in testing and couldn't figure out why. Not sure why it seems to sometimes do that - if it's a display glitch or if it's -actually- counting as -1 on the server. If you see it again and it stays -1 even if you refresh the page, copypasta the post ID and D can check that particular post.

I'd kinda like "wtf" and "incomprehensible" buttons. :D

arathea - Yes, there will - hehe I had the same problem at first as Moddeth Thine Sims is my preferred theme now. As such, I will nag Delphy until he makes it work for that theme too. ;)

Tashiketh
2nd May 2010, 1:00 PM
Moddeth Thine Sims now has the buttons.

Sri: Thats actually technically possible to see - if multiple users unclick at the same time, then it can appear to reduce, then increase. The only possible issues would be when it goes to negative values. :)

Springbunny
2nd May 2010, 1:14 PM
Really neat! :)

Vampire_aninyosaloh
2nd May 2010, 2:07 PM
I just noticed it and fastly went to Site News to learn more about it =) It's a really nice idea! ^^

tlynnjpeg
2nd May 2010, 3:04 PM
Thanks for the Moddeth Thine Sims addition!

But when I clicked a button, it went from helpful (1) to bolded helpful (1). The number didn't change. Even after a page refresh.

Using Firefox 3.6.3 (in Moddeth Thine Sims, in case that wasn't clear).

Tashiketh
2nd May 2010, 3:06 PM
tlynnjpeg: On which post did you click that? Remember, it's possible somebody else toggled *off* thier own Helpful click between the time of your seeing the original values, and you clicking on them.

NixNivis
2nd May 2010, 3:33 PM
Love the idea!! :D

I have the same type of bug as tlynnjpeg above, though: If I click "funny" on a post - any post - that already has at least 1 funny (i.e. does not say just "funny", but has a little number after it), "funny" goes bold, but the number remains the same, it doesn't increase. It does decrease if I click "funny" again, though - which seems a bit mean since I didn't add anything to the count to begin with. :)

If the post doesn't have any previous funny clicks (i.e. does just say "funny"), then it works like it should and goes to "funny (1)". All the other buttons work just fine - I just can't add any funny if somebody else thought the post funny before me. :(

I also run Firefox 3.6.3.

arathea
2nd May 2010, 7:39 PM
Ah, buttons! Thank you! :D :beer:

Tashiketh
2nd May 2010, 8:01 PM
Okay I tracked down and fixed a bug with user clicks not registering (The click on Agree (1) and it would bold and turn to Agree (1)). I've also recalculated all button values based on user clicks so now they all should work ok. :)

Please let me know of any further bugs.

Randir
2nd May 2010, 8:38 PM
That's a very nice addition to the site.

Nouk
2nd May 2010, 9:50 PM
Yeah click a love button baby! .... 0_0

Srikandi
2nd May 2010, 10:39 PM
Okay I tracked down and fixed a bug with user clicks not registering (The click on Agree (1) and it would bold and turn to Agree (1)). I've also recalculated all button values based on user clicks so now they all should work ok. :)

Please let me know of any further bugs.

Thanks for the fix -- everything seems to be working right now :)

tlynnjpeg
3rd May 2010, 4:57 AM
Yay! Yeah, whatever you fixed seems to have been the problem, because it works fine and dandy now. (And it was one of your posts, #12 in this thread.)

fragglerocks
3rd May 2010, 5:13 AM
At first I was like "Oh YAY, how FUN!"

Then someone clicked disagree on one of my posts and then I was like "NOOO! These SUCK!"

:rofl:

Just kidding. I think they are a wonderful addition to the site and have drawn me here a few more times a day than I normally would come. Way to keep me addicted! :up:

GeneralOperationsDirector
3rd May 2010, 6:37 PM
Interesting idea. I reserve judgement, however, on if I like or dislike it. ;)

rainbowtwilight
3rd May 2010, 11:49 PM
Having a lot of fun with these, they're rather addictive :lol: I think it would be cool if we could use them on download comments

Ghost sdoj
4th May 2010, 12:30 AM
They are kind of fun, at least until the novelty wears off.

Fun new game: Find a friend and click "love" on all their posts! :rofl:

kiwi_tea
4th May 2010, 2:30 PM
I think these are great in the general forums, but I already suspect they're a nuisance in the debate forum. People are able to click their disagreement without making a coherent case at all, and they really have no use in that forum except to muddy the waters or provide an ego boost. I strongly recommend a vote or something on whether we keep them in debate or not. They're still great elsewhere.

HystericalParoxysm
4th May 2010, 2:50 PM
kiwi_tea - I have to disagree. I think they're actually quite useful there - if someone agrees or disagrees but has nothing more coherent to say or doesn't add anything to the discussion that hasn't already been said, they can just click agree or disagree. Or if they do want to make a point, they can say "I agreed/disagreed, and here's why:"

kiwi_tea
4th May 2010, 3:53 PM
I suppose you're right. But I tend to think debate should be something quite removed from 'which ideas are most popular' or 'agreed with', and far closer to 'who lays out a coherent case'. But this is internet debate, after all, and there aren't exactly winners or losers. Have you considered, though, that they're going to work like the 'worm' in political debates, insofar as fence-sitters are concerned:

http://www.theonion.com/video/new-live-poll-allows-pundits-to-pander-to-viewers,14350/

I imagine a little bit of this happening. :P Then again, I may be overestimating how much attention people will pay to them. :)

Honoria321
4th May 2010, 5:58 PM
As a Rav user, I am so excited to see these adopted here! I always miss them when I am in other forums. Great job Delphy and HP! :up:

NixNivis
4th May 2010, 6:16 PM
The bug fix seems to have done the trick - everything works like a charm now for me as well. :D Thanks!

Nysha
4th May 2010, 9:41 PM
kiwi_tea, I agree, debate is about, well, debating. A lot of people tend to post just because they see the topic and think "Yes!" or "No!", though, without actually having a firm opinion or any rationalisation for it. If they can click a button instead of trying to eke a post out of not very much at all, that's probably a good thing.

Of course we can turn the feature off in any area of the site if it becomes a problem, but hopefully we won't have to do that. :)

mangaroo
7th May 2010, 3:25 PM
Would it be possible to add an "unhelpful" or "hey, did you even read the post you're responding to" button? For brevity's sake, we could call it something like bacon "left field." It's not so much that people are posting off topic (I have a mod hammer for that, and I'm not afraid to use it). Rather, they are ignoring the specifics of the post they are responding to. I have a couple of examples from WCIF and discussion, if that would help clarify my suggestion.

CatOfEvilGenius
7th May 2010, 7:09 PM
By far the best use of these buttons is in the Graveyard forum. The ban notices there are effin' hilarious, and now we can applaud the creativity of the ban notice writers. I want to mash agree, funny, and love, but somehow limit myself to just funny. ;) If there were a "sympathise" button, I would click it for poor HP each time a crazy glomps onto her. I am glad the buttons are not in in Downloads, good decision, hope that will continue.

* hands HP can of spray-on crazy deterrent *

radiochu
8th May 2010, 6:08 AM
haha! I too am a Raveler, so when I saw these buttons, I was like, YES! way to take over the internet! I have the same problem with looking for them on other websites and not finding them. :P

shweet.

fthomas
9th May 2010, 7:02 PM
I love the new post buttons! <3

Ghost sdoj
16th May 2010, 6:27 PM
It seems to do an excellent job of keeping track of which threads we have already clicked the "love" button in... I suppose it would probably slow the servers down too much if it kept track in our profile of how many times we have clicked it, though?

Vampire_of_Death
29th May 2010, 4:02 PM
*is hoping for a "You're a frackin' idiot" button*

I love em all the same! :)

kiwi_tea
20th Jun 2010, 8:14 PM
Any chance of reconsidering the 'funny' button in Debate? It's being abused a bit to belittle arguments, and it's leading to all kinds of offense and defensiveness that just isn't warranted. It's a very passive aggressive button in that forum, and a bit unhelpful.

The others are working fine, and I'm willing to say my initial skepticism about them was pretty unwarranted. I don't think they're causing a 'worm effect'.

Cheers!

jhonkevin
22nd Jul 2010, 6:53 PM
These post is good and nice . Cute idea but the buttons dont seem to be working for me. When I click them, they don't do anything... or maybe I just don't know how to use them. The buttons now show bold if you have clicked one previously, or normal if you have not. Clicking a button will turn it temporarily italic.

Vampire_of_Death
23rd Jul 2010, 2:25 AM
jhonkebn, yep, thats how they work.

I just noticed the unhelpful button in CF and I LOVE IT! :)

Astraea Nevermore
30th Aug 2010, 6:50 PM
Mmmh... having problems with the post buttons.
I can't see anymore the numbers near to the buttons and, if I click on "agree", "disagree" or anything else, I just see the button's name in bold font with a "( )" near to it, still not showing any number.

It started yesterday. The first time, the problem disappeared when I closed the browser and re-opened it, now it still stays, even if I use different browsers :blink:

My main browser is Mozilla:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; it; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

...The other one I tried is Google Chrome, version 5.0.375.127

Anyone else with this problem? :blink:

Tashiketh
30th Aug 2010, 7:18 PM
Should be fixed now Astraea - was a site issue :)

Astraea Nevermore
30th Aug 2010, 7:56 PM
Thanks! Yep, it's fixed :)

kiwi_tea
17th Aug 2012, 3:24 AM
Dredging this post up to canvas the idea of removing the "Disagree" button from Creator feedback due to stuff like this (http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=3936692#post3936692).

I'm getting "disagrees" without any constructive feedback. I'm really not sure what they're even trying to tell me. The button serves no other purpose I can see than (a) an easy way of not giving specific critical feedback (b) abusing the creator.

I'd be interested to know if other creators feel similarly? I find it really unhelpful when I get "disagrees". They come in random ones and twos, and can't even be used as a reliable gauge of how good/bad a design is. They're extremely frustrating.

Edit: My impression of Kiwi_tea in this thread - "Blahblahblah. Remove this. Blahblahblah. Remove that."

Nysha
18th Aug 2012, 11:59 AM
Well, the thing is that disagree is useful when it's clicked on actual feedback. Creator posts, say, a lot; another member posts to say "I think the fence should be green", and a bunch of people click disagree. That's useful - it tells you what several people's opinions are briefly and compactly, which is the point of the buttons. That said, there will always be the potential for meaningless use of post buttons in any context. I don't think you're missing out on any feedback, though: if the people clicking the buttons had anything meaningful to say, they would have posted it.

Esmeralda
18th Aug 2012, 1:35 PM
@kiwi, I know what you mean, I've noticed an influx of random 'disagree' clicks throughout Creator Feedback the past few months or so. As whiterider said, a bunch of people clicking 'disagree' to one specific post might be meaningful, but there have recently been many that are just random one-offs that are usually even irrelevant to the content of the post.

For example, in my own experiences, I've had 'disagree' clicks where I've given just standard Creator Feedback advice on how we need to see in-game closeup pics of the sim in a neutral expression along with a reference pic of the person they're trying to sim (where the creator has only supplied tiny blurry CAS pics, or similar), or in another case, there was a sim who looked good from the front but in profile her nose was Pinocchio-length (the real person's was small), so I advised the creator to shorten her nose from the side - I got TWO disagrees for that! I was baffled at first, but now I think these 'disagreers' are trolls and can safely be ignored, so don't let it bother you.

I don't think you're missing out on any feedback, though: if the people clicking the buttons had anything meaningful to say, they would have posted it.
Exactly that.

ETA: Oh, I see I've now been given an 'unhelpful' for trying to help a creator decide which eyebrows to use on her sim, heh heh.

1Petula2
19th Aug 2012, 11:43 AM
I love them..Thanks, thanks, thanks ;)