Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jun 2005 at 9:10 PM Last edited by eric etc : 1st Aug 2005 at 7:55 AM.
Default Tutorial - Custom Television Channel
Hi everyone,

I put together an example television channel and a simple tutorial on how to create and add your own custom television channels to the Sims 2...
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Custom Television Channel.zip (412.0 KB, 17256 downloads) - View custom content

Download the InSIMenator at InSIMenator.net
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#2 Old 2nd Jun 2005 at 9:11 PM Last edited by eric etc : 18th Jun 2005 at 9:05 AM.
Let's open the Custom Television Channel.package file in SimPE and begin with the "Object Data" file...
Screenshots
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Jun 2005 at 9:12 PM Last edited by eric etc : 2nd Jun 2005 at 9:19 PM.
Next let's choose what we want our pie menu caption to say...
Screenshots
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 2nd Jun 2005 at 9:13 PM Last edited by eric etc : 2nd Jun 2005 at 9:23 PM.
now let's change the text value from tvstation_insimenator to what you want your channel pointer to be called in the Broadcast.ini file....
Screenshots
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Jun 2005 at 9:13 PM Last edited by eric etc : 2nd Jun 2005 at 9:24 PM.
now, we will add a new television station directory to our game and name it whatever we want it to be called... in this case I named it TvInsim
Screenshots
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Jun 2005 at 9:14 PM Last edited by eric etc : 1st Aug 2005 at 7:56 AM.
Now let's finish up and add our new channel to the Broadcast.ini file...

NOTE: If you try modifying the Broadcast.ini file in "My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Config", it will be overwritten to default configuration by the ini located in "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 University\TSData\Res\UserData\Config" and the custom channel will not work correctly.

EDIT: If you do not have University Expansion Pack installed, please read post #32 (t.styler) and #39 (Dan&Mel) on Page 2 of this thread. Thank you.
Screenshots
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Jun 2005 at 9:15 PM Last edited by eric etc : 2nd Jun 2005 at 9:36 PM.
Now all you have to do is make your own .movie files (.avi files might work also?) and place them in your new channel directory... load your game up and have fun

NOTE: place the .package file in your "My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Downloads" directory for it to work

Test Subject
#8 Old 2nd Jun 2005 at 9:46 PM
awesome!! thanks
Forum Resident
#9 Old 2nd Jun 2005 at 9:55 PM
You can use .avi clips but they shouldn't be larger that 128x128 pixels and shouldn't have more than 15 fps.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/thesims2/hints.html
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 2nd Jun 2005 at 10:00 PM
thanks eddie.... I was not sure what other filetypes that the channels would play and I have no idea what software that someone would need to use to produce new .movie files
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#11 Old 3rd Jun 2005 at 1:27 AM
Thank you for the tutorial, Eric. I've seen a few people asking how to do this. Hehe... and by now I'm surprised there hasn't been a Sim-mutiny because they have to watch the same dumb shows over and over.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 3rd Jun 2005 at 2:12 AM
Thanks so much Eric, you are the master.
Ice Princess
#13 Old 3rd Jun 2005 at 2:40 AM
Oh god please don't call him master..He already has a big enough head lmao
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#14 Old 3rd Jun 2005 at 12:21 PM
Yeah, but if we call him the slave, then your head will get all puffed up too. We should all go back to worshipping cats. There's really not a chance in hell they could get any more full of themselves.
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 4th Jun 2005 at 7:26 PM Last edited by eric etc : 4th Jun 2005 at 7:37 PM.
RGiles, her head is already puffed up... except it is from the hot air balloon effect (it goes well with the empty head effect :D)
Test Subject
#16 Old 6th Jun 2005 at 6:14 AM
Thank u!!!!now, i can create my hot channels
Test Subject
#17 Old 7th Jun 2005 at 3:18 PM
Perhaps could you also make a Tutorial in which it is explained how one can make transmitters of his own in the radio?
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 7th Jun 2005 at 4:25 PM
ohmigod!!! :jaw: thank you so much!!! this is what i really wanted and now i have it. yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Test Subject
#19 Old 10th Jun 2005 at 3:36 PM
i still dont under stand. what is that program you are using in the pictures. sorry, im a bit dim
Ice Princess
#20 Old 10th Jun 2005 at 6:47 PM
TK_GUY, the program that Eric is using, to open and modify .package files, is called SimPE. You can download SimPE at http://sims.ambertation.de/ and familiarize yourself with its use.

Home of the Sims 2 InSIMenator.net

Stroke my Llama
Instructor
Original Poster
#21 Old 18th Jun 2005 at 9:09 AM Last edited by eric etc : 18th Jun 2005 at 9:12 AM.
In the Object Data image in post #2, I made a mistake. It is not necessary to click a yes or no after clicking Commit, the change is committed automatically. I have corrected that error... my apologies.

Eric
Test Subject
#22 Old 30th Jun 2005 at 1:04 AM
WOW! this is easy and it works! thanks a bunch eric etc!
Inventor
#23 Old 1st Jul 2005 at 11:23 AM Last edited by jms : 1st Jul 2005 at 1:38 PM.
:confused: whats a directory pointer. i also dont understand what to do in the 5th screenshot step 3 at the bottom of the page it says now add your directory pointor (directory poitor is located in "my documents/ea games/the sims 2/movies/broadcast"directory)
how do i add it to my config.
plz help :confused: :D
Instructor
Original Poster
#24 Old 2nd Jul 2005 at 4:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jms
:confused: whats a directory pointer. i also dont understand what to do in the 5th screenshot step 3 at the bottom of the page it says now add your directory pointor (directory poitor is located in "my documents/ea games/the sims 2/movies/broadcast"directory)
how do i add it to my config.
plz help :confused: :D

Hi jms,

the directory pointer is the target directory (the new folder that you create to hold the movies that are used by the new channel) for the new channel....

In the image that you are referring to, pay attention only to the second line
Folder =Broadcast/TvInsim ...change the word TvInsim to the name of the folder that you created in the 4th image posted above.

Eric

Field Researcher
#25 Old 2nd Jul 2005 at 4:58 PM
i got it to work as far as showing up on the pie menu, but the channel is just flashing blue. is anyone else having this prob? does anyone know where i can get a few .avi files to test? i used the ones off this site and they are the ones flashing blue.
Page 1 of 11