Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Oct 2009 at 6:07 PM Last edited by j3nni : 5th Oct 2009 at 12:38 PM.
Strange shadow/shading problem with object in game
With a sofa i made when i am fully zoomed in on it in game it is almost completely covered with a shadow, and as i zoom out it gradually shrinks away.. No other objects do this and i'm stumped as to what the problem is.. Does anyone know what it might be? Are the shadow LOD files at fault? This is the last problem i'm having now after all problems being sorted thanks to everyone whos helped. Can't wait to get this final problem solved and stop being a pain!
Screenshots

<'',><
Just keep swimming..
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 6th Oct 2009 at 1:17 PM
j3nni, don't know if it will help, but these are the things you can try.
I asume you cloned a sofa to make yours and I don't know if that sofa had Sunshadow meshes, but I think it does, and you did not changed them at all or did not changed the scale and displacement your shadowmeshes to match the scale and displacement of the TS3 mesh.

Maybe it is a texture problem, I do not know much about that.

There also is an interesting thread, discussing Sun shadows here http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=372831

If you still need help, you can also add your package here to this thread, so someone can take a look at it?
Forum Resident
#3 Old 6th Oct 2009 at 1:25 PM
If the issue disappears when the object is placed indoors, then it's what Cocomama said, the sunshadow meshes are not right.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Oct 2009 at 3:10 PM Last edited by j3nni : 6th Oct 2009 at 3:22 PM.
Ah the issue DOES disappear when the item is indoors, at least as far as i remember, another check might be useful. I did rescale and move the new mesh where the other sunshadow meshes were though, unless i made a mistake and didnt save one right. I'll have a relook and if they appear right or i'm still stumped i'll post the package. Thanks for the replies, been waiting a few days for help on this one.

EDIT: one more thing i've wondered about, when i imported the sunshadow meshes to use them for reference when scaling my new mesh, they were inverted, so i turned all the faces of my new mesh to match, was this right or do you not bother doing that?

<'',><
Just keep swimming..
Alchemist
#5 Old 6th Oct 2009 at 4:53 PM
They are not inverted, they are all black because they have no normals... they are a stripped down version, because the game just needs the shape to make the shadow from.

If you want to, you can do a "smooth all" and you will see they turn gray like the other meshes. But when you export them and load them in again, they will still be black. It is OK, they are made that way, because they are not rendered directly.

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.