Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Aug 2023 at 1:01 AM
Default 4t3 conversion hair fine in TSRW, but bald in game
I am trying to convert clumsyalien's Everett hair. I've got the mesh and texture, but it's not working properly. I use the latest TSRW. In TSRW, the hair is fine. But in game I can barely see the roots of the hair, the main part is invisible. I posted screenshots of texture and mesh in TSRW and what it looks like in game. How do I fix this?
Screenshots
Attached Images

Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 29th Aug 2023 at 1:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by makiura
I am trying to convert clumsyalien's Everett hair. I've got the mesh and texture, but it's not working properly. I use the latest TSRW. In TSRW, the hair is fine. But in game I can barely see the roots of the hair, the main part is invisible. I posted screenshots of texture and mesh in TSRW and what it looks like in game. How do I fix this?

@CardinalSims does hair, and should be around, but from what I see, your diffuse map is way too dark. I don't have the actual textures, but imagine the alpha channel is too gray (transparent) also. Not sure why images are blank in the mesh tab? Should not be. Hard to know more without seeing the package, to look at the meshes, textures, etc. If you wish to upload it, it may help finding your problem.

Shiny, happy people make me puke!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Aug 2023 at 2:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks
@CardinalSims does hair, and should be around, but from what I see, your diffuse map is way too dark. I don't have the actual textures, but imagine the alpha channel is too gray (transparent) also. Not sure why images are blank in the mesh tab? Should not be. Hard to know more without seeing the package, to look at the meshes, textures, etc. If you wish to upload it, it may help finding your problem.

I used another hair from the base game to upload my mesh. I removed all traces of the previous hair's specular. The file is attached
Attached files:
File Type: zip  4t3 Everett hair.zip (2.62 MB, 2 downloads)
Instructor
#4 Old 29th Aug 2023 at 3:10 AM
Thank you for the ping

I think it's a cloning issue with TSRW, as the CASPart isn't linked to the textures in the package at all. I had a look at cloning a hair in TSRW and it resulted in the same odd set of textures 1-7 instead of the proper hair texture section labeled with Control / Diffuse / etc seen if you open a hair from its package instead.

In the very least, I recommend using S3OC to clone the base hair and then you can open that in TSRW and import your meshes and textures.
Alternatively, if you convert your meshes to GEOM you can use Delphy's Barbershop to put it all together for you. Just make sure you include every texture it asks for, even if it's just a small blank one for face/scalp parts you don't want.
Inventor
#5 Old 29th Aug 2023 at 3:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by makiura
I used another hair from the base game to upload my mesh. I removed all traces of the previous hair's specular. The file is attached

Had a look. I guess this is a "Maxis Match"??? Never did one, but I guess it explains the odd diffuse map layout. I've done foreign game conversions that are similar mess, but the UV maps are closer to basic TS3 set up.

First thing, your textures are odd sizes. I do not think the game recognizes them. You have 1034 x 1036. Standard is 1024 x 1024. 2048 x 2048 for "HD", but usually not necessary, and can cause problems in some computers. A long time ago, I was making a garment... forget what the issue was, but in the end, I found that somehow my texture was 1022 x 1022. Not sure what I did. Anyway, when I made them as 1024 x 1024, everything worked.

Also, when you export your textures from your imaging program (I use GIMP) be sure to check to generate mips. Diffuse or multipliers are usually dxt5, as are normals maps. Speculars can be dxt1. Control maps or garment masks usually dxt5, but can be dxt1. Garment masks of 3 colors that are just block shape can be dxt1. Overlays and stencils are usually dxt5.

I have read @CardinalSims hair tutorials. Being that I am a dress maker, and my mentor used different tools than he, I often use TSRW for hairs that I try to do. Try both ways, and see which works best for YOU!

You need to start with a new clone donor in TSRW. Fixing yours is more work than it is worth. Do NOT simply delete textures! Do NOT import the same texture twice!!! Example: Import your diffuse texture. In the next one, instead of import again, click "browse". A new window opens, with all textures you have already imported to the project. This also goes for textures in the mesh tab. Just use browse, and use the textures that are already in your project to replace those. You only need to replace the diffuse in the mesh tab. TSRW automatically uses it as the alpha. If you save, and reopen, you will see this. Unfortunately, you need to repeat doing this for each LOD. Some do not bother, but I do.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Aug 2023 at 8:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks
Had a look. I guess this is a "Maxis Match"??? Never did one, but I guess it explains the odd diffuse map layout. I've done foreign game conversions that are similar mess, but the UV maps are closer to basic TS3 set up.

First thing, your textures are odd sizes. I do not think the game recognizes them. You have 1034 x 1036. Standard is 1024 x 1024. 2048 x 2048 for "HD", but usually not necessary, and can cause problems in some computers. A long time ago, I was making a garment... forget what the issue was, but in the end, I found that somehow my texture was 1022 x 1022. Not sure what I did. Anyway, when I made them as 1024 x 1024, everything worked.

Also, when you export your textures from your imaging program (I use GIMP) be sure to check to generate mips. Diffuse or multipliers are usually dxt5, as are normals maps. Speculars can be dxt1. Control maps or garment masks usually dxt5, but can be dxt1. Garment masks of 3 colors that are just block shape can be dxt1. Overlays and stencils are usually dxt5.

I have read @CardinalSims hair tutorials. Being that I am a dress maker, and my mentor used different tools than he, I often use TSRW for hairs that I try to do. Try both ways, and see which works best for YOU!

You need to start with a new clone donor in TSRW. Fixing yours is more work than it is worth. Do NOT simply delete textures! Do NOT import the same texture twice!!! Example: Import your diffuse texture. In the next one, instead of import again, click "browse". A new window opens, with all textures you have already imported to the project. This also goes for textures in the mesh tab. Just use browse, and use the textures that are already in your project to replace those. You only need to replace the diffuse in the mesh tab. TSRW automatically uses it as the alpha. If you save, and reopen, you will see this. Unfortunately, you need to repeat doing this for each LOD. Some do not bother, but I do.

I'll try resizing the hair's UV map to 1024x1024 and restarting with a new clone. I also don't think I exported the textures properly last time. Thank you!
Instructor
#7 Old 30th Aug 2023 at 12:58 AM
Ah, I should have caught the texture size. Perhaps that is why TSRW didn't assign them properly?

I'm still very unfamiliar with the layout it chooses for cloning hair, it looks like it's doing more harm than good. It could be fine, but either way using a S3OC clone will simplify the process.
Example, in version 2.0.86:

Left is how a base game hair opens; right is how it opens my own replacer of the same hair, displaying a much more logical set of options.

If you're most comfortable using Workshop I'm sure the other steps will work just fine, it was just that caught my attention as out of place.
Screenshots
Inventor
#8 Old 30th Aug 2023 at 2:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims
Ah, I should have caught the texture size. Perhaps that is why TSRW didn't assign them properly?

I'm still very unfamiliar with the layout it chooses for cloning hair, it looks like it's doing more harm than good. It could be fine, but either way using a S3OC clone will simplify the process.
Example, in version 2.0.86:

Left is how a base game hair opens; right is how it opens my own replacer of the same hair, displaying a much more logical set of options.

If you're most comfortable using Workshop I'm sure the other steps will work just fine, it was just that caught my attention as out of place.

I am primarily a dress maker. But, I dabble in almost everything to some extent. Hair is something I have only worked with the past few years, off and on. Usually, for characters that I make the garments for, and involves converting from XPS or MMD.

Other is shortening the fronts or adding bones, and a few 4 to 3 conversions. Yes, the layout is very different. Never really understood why so different. Just figured, hair will be hair! TSRW 2.0.86 is a good one. It is my number one back up when things don't go well in 2.2.85.
Screenshots