Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Aug 2019 at 6:56 AM Last edited by leontinees : 17th Feb 2020 at 3:54 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Something is suddenly not working in SimPe
Hello nice fellas, I'm back with another of my inane problems!

This is about the SimPE program. I barely know anything about it so I used it very little, and only for recategorizing CC. Just lately I dared to use the Memory Manager part (or whatever you call it) to get rid of a couple of memories and sort them in a more orderly fashion. Everything was good in game, so I did again with a few other characters. But then, from one try to another, every single character in list became "Unknown" and uneditable (see picture).

Characters are still fine in game, they work properly and I couldn't find any sign of corruption (not that I'd know what to look for...). Every time I did the same thing, nothing differently, so I can't understand what happened from one try to another for this to happen
I tried removing all CC, just in case. Issue persist.
Also tried the typical uninstall/reinstall SimPe. Issue persist.

So please, any ideas or solutions?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 11th Sep 2019 at 9:22 PM
... Anyone?
Mad Poster
#3 Old 11th Sep 2019 at 10:27 PM
Can't help you with the SimPE issue, but as general advice, always do a full backup of your game before you start messing aroun with memories, relationships and other kinds of SimPE Neighborhood/sim editing. It's easy to make mistakes, and it's always good to have something you can go back to in case you mess up something.

Occasionally, SimPE can cause strange errors if there is a memory/RAM usage issue (for instance SystemOutOfMemory error). Neighborhood editing can sometimes be a resource intensive task.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 11th Sep 2019 at 10:55 PM
Silly question, but you are leaving SimPE enough time to actually load the wntire neighbourhood before opening the Sim Browser? I often find myself with a list of Unknowns if I zone out and open the browser immediately, because of course, if it hasn't finished loading, of course it doesn't know who they are! I've started trying to get into the habit of leaving the whole thing alone as soon as I open the hood; that is when I switch back to Firefox and browse Tumblr, so when i switch back, it's all done.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 12th Sep 2019 at 5:03 AM
I am another who agrees with sushigal007's observation. You mention you haven't used the program much, so it's worth saying also that SimPE doesn't stop you in any way from trying to load the Sim Browser before it has the neighborhood fully loaded, not even by asking you to wait...therefore as she says, it must be on you to be sure you wait until it finishes loading the 'hood, or you get exactly the issue shown in your pic.

You can tell it's finished loading because it will no longer show, in italics at the bottom of the Plugin View window, "Loading [anything]", including any percentages. IIRC, if I've opened the Sim Browser window too early, before the hood is actually loaded by SimPE, it never works right at all, and I have to shut down SimPE and open it again, this time waiting patiently for it, before I can get the sims all displayed correctly. Perhaps others are more lucky than I in that regard, though.

On my SSD system, the time that SimPE requires to load the neighborhood is about 1/3 the time that it takes my actual UC game to boot up when I am wanting to play...so the amount of time SimPE needs to start properly is not insignificant!

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Feb 2020 at 9:28 PM
Yes, that's not the issue. I knew about letting the green bar alone until fully filled, it never took more than one minute. But now there's not even a green bar loading, at any moment??? It's like the program isn't even trying anymore, as silly as that sounds.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 15th Feb 2020 at 10:14 PM
It's because the partially loaded neighborhood gets cached and then reloaded from the cache. You need to either completely delete SimPE from your computer and reinstall it, or reboot your computer.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 15th Feb 2020 at 11:49 PM
^ You don't have to do anything that drastic, at least not to begin with. SimPE has cache files. Try moving out/removing this first. One grows pretty large and is called "objcache.simpepkg" (I also have one named "objcache_01.simpepkg" which is 106 MB, so... possible problem waiting to happen. I've had one grow to maybe 1 GB before).

They're in the Data folder in whichever location you've installed SimPE (I've put mine in Program files so I remember where it is, but I have the noinstall version: "C:\Program Files (x86)\SimPe_(version)\Data")
Mad Poster
#9 Old 16th Feb 2020 at 3:03 AM
It's cached in the page file, not in SimPE's caches. It's something Windows does, not SimPE.
Scholar
#10 Old 16th Feb 2020 at 1:43 PM
You can clear SimPe's Caches within SimPE in Extra - Preferences... - SimPE Setting - [Clear Cache] button, it is worthwhile to that occasionally if you edit memories or use object workshop as the caches can become quite large and full of junk.
When you open a neighbourhood open another file first, and in the object tree select a resource type that a neighbourhood only has one of like the catalogue description or directory of compressed files, then when you open the neighbourhood it won't be trying to load everything at once. As soon as the 'hood opens select any family which will cause it to load all of the sims for that 'hood. You will find it is much faster and more stable that way.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 16th Feb 2020 at 2:48 PM Last edited by leontinees : 17th Feb 2020 at 12:44 AM.
To kestrellyn:
I said at the beginning that I had already tried the uninstal/reinstall thing and it didn't work. Though, just in case, I did it again and made sure that absolutely everything from SimPE was deleted before creating anew.
It didn't work, issue persist. Also, how could it Windows be causing this? I don't understand, time ago it worked fine.

To simmer22:
There was no "objcache.simpepkg" file in my SimPE folder. Anywhere.

To Chris Hatch:
Oh hello, I remember you from the CAS thing! I cleared the cache in the settings, but it didn't help. The "Unknown" character issue persist.
The only thing in the 'hood resource tree that I ever opened was the Sim Description, in order to edit memories. Never loaded anything else.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 16th Feb 2020 at 3:24 PM
If you have a recent backup (which you should always make before messing about with neighborhoods SimPE), try restoring this. Should in theory take care of the problem.
Scholar
#13 Old 17th Feb 2020 at 3:13 AM
You don't have the 'No Meta Informations' option ticked under the Extra tab do you? Having that option set will prevent SimPE from loading any extra files and will cause the exact problem that you have. I can't see any other reason or option that will cause SimPE to be able to find the neighbourhood file but not the character files.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 17th Feb 2020 at 3:46 PM
To simmer22:
Restoring a previous back-up did nothing. Even if I'm sure that at the moment of the back-up SimPE worked fine, it still didn't now.

To Chris Hatch:
Okay, I tried cleaning the cache again, this time making sure to un-tick the meta informations. And... YES, IT WORKED! I can finally see again the sims info. Thanks a ton again!
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#15 Old 17th Feb 2020 at 3:49 PM
I meant a backup of your game, to restore the files that were most likely changed.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 17th Feb 2020 at 3:53 PM
Yes, I understood you. I copied back the whole neighbourhood, with all the un-edited sims, but there was no change.
I still thank you for trying to help (and for all the times your help actually solved my problems! )
Mad Poster
#17 Old 17th Feb 2020 at 4:28 PM
The way you phrased it made it sound like you meant a backup of SimPE, so I just wanted to make sure you hadn't misunderstood anything