Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Aug 2019 at 11:12 PM Last edited by XuXiang : 8th Aug 2019 at 11:23 PM.
Default A (maybe stupid) question about polygons for cc creators
I am not a cc creator and i have no skills in this. I see lots of very high quality good cc (not maxis match) with very high poly lately. I also see some creators who make cc at same standard but is very low compared.

I would just like some creator to explain why some people can make very good quality cc with low poly but a lot of other creators do most of the same but very high poly.

I have seen a breakfast clutter of 47000 poly and it is no better to look at than some people who can do this for 1000-2000.

Some people, like MJ95 on TSR (as example) make detailed, good quality shoes for 1000-2000 poly (sometimes under 1000) but RedheadSims shoes can be 28000 and are not looking much better.

I don't criticise, just would like to understand.

Please explain.

Thank you

~(=^—^) (â—• ˬ ◕✿)
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 9th Aug 2019 at 6:21 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 9th Aug 2019 at 6:53 PM.
CC is often created using tools that produce unnecessarily high poly meshes, at least when used without taking precautions that would prevent it. It may also be created using existing meshes for other games or whatever that are high poly. Some creators don't know how to reduce the polys with decimation or retopology, or don't bother to do it. Likewise, some creators don't know how to add visual detail to a lower poly mesh with a normal map, or don't bother.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#3 Old 9th Aug 2019 at 7:19 PM
Yep, what Cmar said. And I just wanted to add - although it has nothing to do with TS4 really - that I hate all the TS4>TS2 conversions coming out lately. A lot of them are Leosims stuff and she does not make her own meshes, she uses high poly meshes from other... places. Then that stuff gets converted and it's just ridiculous. If I still played TS4 there is a lot of cc that wouldn't get anywhere near my computer because of the polycounts.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 6:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
Yep, what Cmar said. And I just wanted to add - although it has nothing to do with TS4 really - that I hate all the TS4>TS2 conversions coming out lately. A lot of them are Leosims stuff and she does not make her own meshes, she uses high poly meshes from other... places. Then that stuff gets converted and it's just ridiculous. If I still played TS4 there is a lot of cc that wouldn't get anywhere near my computer because of the polycounts.

Yes, I wondered why leoSims cc is so high - like 7000 for a slice of watermelon clutter!

~(=^—^) (â—• ˬ ◕✿)
Mad Poster
#5 Old 10th Aug 2019 at 5:51 PM
I always attempt to keep my creations as low poly as I can without them looking blocky.
A lot of creators don't seem to bother creating lower poly versions for the lower detail models either which really adds unnecessary strain to a player's computer making it try and render details that can't even be seen.
If a flat surface can be given the appearance of 3D details through the use of textures that is a LOT better than trying to sculpt and mesh all of those details.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu