Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th May 2015 at 11:42 AM
Default Custom bone weights to Milkshape?
Hello guys, it's me again.

I have a question concerning bone weights in general. I have troubles to rig some meshes I made, especially skirts. I tried a lot of reference meshes to copy the bone data from, but none of them worked for my meshes... Picture below shows my struggle:

So I exported in Milkshape to Blender via the ms3d script and finally had the armature file and the vertex groups in Blender and started repainting the weights. Well, I took a look at the weights from EA, they look kinda... weird... But I thought well, that's maybe the export from Milkshape that messed up the data... See what I mean: weird bone weights for the belly bone ehem

Especially the thigh, spine and breast bones were incorrect, so I focused on repainting them.

After repainting the bones quickly I exported back to Milkshape (I exported with the blender to ms3d export script). And after opening in Milkshape, I had no more joints or bone weights. Yay. I tried 3ds and fbx export too, but I loose my weights everytime

Anyone ideas how to get the bone data to Milkshape? That would be a huge step forward for me. Rigging new meshes from scratch is way better then transferring bone data from existing meshes...imao. I see so many meshes that get fucked up in game due to false rigging. Has anyone the same problems?

Thanks for everything guys

♘ visit my tumblr here
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 28th May 2015 at 1:06 PM
You can do manual joint weighting in Milkshape using the Joints tab or the UniMesh Bone Tool, but I don't know how to fix your Blender problem, sorry.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th May 2015 at 3:22 PM
Thx for replying :*) Milkshape can only assign weights to selected verts as far as I know. The result is always ugly clipped rigging and unreal looking mesh distortions. No 'smooth' weights. Like they can be drawn in 3ds or Blender ( What exactly is the unimesh bone tool?

♘ visit my tumblr here
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#4 Old 3rd Jun 2015 at 4:49 PM
You can assign fractional weights to selected vertices in Milkshape, so smooth weighting CAN be done. I haven't used Blender but maybe it's easier. According to the documentation for the Blender MS3D plugin, it doesn't do joints.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Jun 2015 at 11:43 AM
Oh noo there is no way around Milkshape, a nightmare. Sorry for the noob question, but are joints and bones the same? Is there a way to import joint/bone/whatever-data into Milkshape via common file types like fbx, dae etc.? I guess not, otherwise someone else would have already done this. I'm always wondering how ppl can 'ruin' their meshes (esp. dresses and skirts) with bad weights... asakldnhaskldfj

I mean I started as a total noob, now I'm somehow able to make my own meshes, proper uvs and stable textures BUT weighting is still a huge problem... especially for 'extraordinary' meshes. Ugh.

I'm very uncomfortable with Milkshape... I did some custom meshes for Skyrim, Dragon Age and Fallout and the weighting was not a big deal. I painted the weights in Blender or 3DS Max and this was a 10 min thing. Now I have to mess with Milkshape again oh lord, my faith is leaving me :'//////////////////

♘ visit my tumblr here
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 11th Feb 2019 at 8:24 AM
Hi, what is the script used to export from milkshape to blender? Thanks