Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#26 Old 28th Jul 2006 at 2:37 PM
*sigh* if you were building from scratch and you didnt add a card it'd not show up. if you're using my template then a blank one will show!! you could have written the cards in the time you've spent asking questions here.

sorry not about much anymore
Advertisement
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#27 Old 28th Jul 2006 at 5:31 PM
If you don't add a card your computer will blow up into a hundred billion pieces and destroy humanity as we know it!

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#28 Old 28th Jul 2006 at 6:09 PM
ahh yes superfly, i forgot to mention that! lol

Test Subject
#29 Old 29th Jul 2006 at 7:28 PM Last edited by SpicyChocolate : 29th Jul 2006 at 8:41 PM.
Hey your tutorial is really good! But I have a question... For chance card results, why, in your example, do we have to type 50 in the 0x1 dec box for a bonus of 50$ in level 5, whereas for a level 4 bonus, we have to type the bonus into 0x5 dec box? Could you please explain...sorry I'm a bit dim...

Edit: I have a second question ... For family friends: if for example I needed 1 friend to get from job level 1 to job level 2, do I type 1 in the 0x1 dec box as for the skill points or do I type it in the 0x2 dec box?
And by the way, did you also translate the chance cards for your own servant career into german? I was a bit stupid and I typed into the English part although I have the game in German so when I tried out the cards, I got yours instead...
Test Subject
#30 Old 30th Jul 2006 at 8:19 AM
Thanks so much for this. I've been wanting to make my own career for ages - bring back the Music and Journalist careers from Livin' Large! Using it now, those chance cards are taking a while though, I'm running out of ideas!
Test Subject
#31 Old 5th Aug 2006 at 11:26 PM
Can someone please tell me what SimPE is, where I download it at, and how long it would take to download with a dial-up connection? I've soo wanted to create a career for like ever so I hope someone will answer me. Thanks much ^_^
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#32 Old 5th Aug 2006 at 11:40 PM
SimPE is the program used to mod all aspects of the sims 2, and you must have it to mod careers. It can be downloaded from here- http://sims.ambertation.de/en/download/. How long it will take to download I do not know- it all depends on what version you decide to install and how fast your conenction is.

Test Subject
#33 Old 6th Aug 2006 at 12:06 AM
Thank you sooo much, SuperFly! I'll start downloading it now. I cant wait to start building a new career. It sounds like a lot of fun even though it's going to take ages.
Test Subject
#34 Old 12th Aug 2006 at 1:21 AM
Well, in 1st place I would like to say "Thanks" for the users that have spent time making tutorials and helping other users, so people like me, can learn something ^^

But the reason of this reply is a question: I have installed The Sims 2 in portuguese (because I'm from Portugal ). So, I would like to know: When I'm adding the jobs and descriptions and also when I'm writting the chance cards, do I have to, beside writting it portuguese, select the language at SimPE?
(I'm talking about the selection box under the box were you can write the string)

(I hope you understand what I'm trying to explain, because I try to remember the words and I just...don't remember [i think it's because i need to sleep ])

Thanks a lot **
Test Subject
#35 Old 12th Aug 2006 at 7:38 PM Last edited by Leli490 : 15th Aug 2006 at 11:46 PM.
Thank you so much! This tutorial has really helped me . I made a career track from the original games (Im not sure if anyone's done it but I dont think I'll plan on sharing just yet) and it came out great! You dont have to do long chance cards either. I just did the shortest possible :P. It only took me about..5 hours? It's worth it once your all done! Kudos

Edit:
Quote:
If you don't add a card your computer will blow up into a hundred billion pieces and destroy humanity as we know it!

Hehe your very convincing .
Test Subject
#36 Old 21st Aug 2006 at 11:38 AM
Emma, this looks like a very useful tutorial, especially with the new picture additions.

I'm working on building my first career and with the help of your tutorial here and several others, I believe it's coming along very nicely.

However, I have a question, which hopefully someone here can answer. Regarding skill requirements, I'm making a career that could easily cover 4 skills (specifically Mechanical, Charisma, Body & Logic). The base game careers only cover 3 skill types while the university graduate careers include 4. Is it possible to make a non-graduate career that uses more than 3 skill types or does one have to make it into a graduate (and thus UNI-required) career? Ultimately I'd like for my career to be backwards compatible and could remove one of the skills if necessary but I'd like to find out beforehand.

Thanks a bunch!

~Cindy
Tradewind Sims Designs

"Nothing is more difficult, and therefore more precious, than to be able to decide."
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Test Subject
#37 Old 24th Aug 2006 at 12:14 PM
Great tutorial, it really helped as I had no idea what to do. I used a combination of this tutorial and Bidou's Career Editor, and everything is done, but I have two problems.

The first, is in Bidou's Career Editor, everytime I try to edit Level 10, the program crashes. It comes up with the message "Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection." All I did was click on the level...

Secondly, once I loaded the career into Sims, everything was fine, except that my person wouldn't get into the carpool. Anyone know why?

Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#38 Old 26th Aug 2006 at 10:53 PM
wildstar24, Emxemx- I'll try and answer your questions as best I can- if my spelling wavers a little, please forgive me- I've been awake for about 16 hours today, and my brain is not quite conencted to my hands.

wildstar24, careers can be made using any number of skill points. If you look at any of my non-graduate careers (i.e. all of them) you'll see that I use at least 4 or more skills in them, and all work fine with any EP combination.

Emxemx, your first problem- how high are level 10 wages? Any value above 10,000 causes errors. In fact, any value that the game cannot process will cause errors. If it's not the wages, posta copy of teh career here and I'll take a peek at it.

As for the carpool.... not sure. In fact, come to think of it, it'd be easier if you posted the file up so that I can tackle both problems at once. I'm a more hands on sort of guy- I find I can solve problems better if the problematic career is on my PC.

Hope I've helped a bit- I'm off for some snoozies

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#39 Old 27th Aug 2006 at 12:22 AM
ok ... thanks for answering the questions for me superfly i,m afraid i've been neglecting this thred a little! sorry! as for bidou's career editor, i had a look at it myself the other day and found the same sort of probs with it so i dont know! as for the carpool ... i noticed on bidous career you can change the carpool and stuff ...did you change that at all? i'm not sure of all the techical side of things so you really are best off posting it to superfly as he's a genius when it comes to careers!!

other than that just generally thanks for all the positive comments and hope to see some great new careers from everyone ... i'll try to keep a better eye on this thred from now on!

Test Subject
#40 Old 27th Aug 2006 at 6:26 PM Last edited by Emxemx : 28th Aug 2006 at 11:47 AM. Reason: adding file
Thanks, I'll put a copy of the career up as soon as I get a chance. My level 10 wage is put in as 1750 in the decimal box, so that should be okay, right?

And yeah, I did use bidou's career editor to change what type of car was meant to come along so I guess it could have been that.

Thank you for the help :-)

Edit: Here's the file :-) I know that the skill points need to be sorted out, I am planning on doing that, but of course, if they're causing a problem feel free to change them. Thank you!
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Rockstar Career.rar (62.2 KB, 57 downloads)
Test Subject
#41 Old 29th Aug 2006 at 5:50 AM
help
hey guys

I have got SimPE and all that stuff that i need to open that package with but when i open it it is in this random language thing and i dont know what it is.can anyone help me.Thanks? :D
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#42 Old 29th Aug 2006 at 6:31 AM
Is it opening in SimPE? It sounds like it isn't.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the appropriate thread.
Test Subject
#43 Old 29th Aug 2006 at 6:56 AM
it is opening in SimPE
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#44 Old 29th Aug 2006 at 6:58 AM
So, a box is popping up with a weird language?

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the appropriate thread.
Part-time Hermit
#45 Old 29th Aug 2006 at 9:38 AM
horsiegal14, can you post a screenshot of the window that pops up? That might clarify things
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#46 Old 29th Aug 2006 at 12:15 PM
Emxemx, I must say that your problem had me stumped for a while- nothing semed to correct the problem. However, I eventually found the problem- although you have 10 levels, you only have chance cards for 9- that is, there were not enough chance cards to supply the levels. I have added in some new strings, which has corrected the problem.

I can see nothing wrong with the vehicles- try testing your career with no other careers installed and see if that makes a difference.

I altered the skills a little- I don't know how well you understand career skill points, but I'll try to explain how they work-

The skill requirements at level 2 dictate what skills will be needed to advance to level 2, and will appear as requirements at level 1.

For example, if you put 10 body 10 logic at level 8, these would be skill requirements that appear at level 7. This means that any skills put at level 1 have no meaning. Understand?

Also, you may also want to change the image- it's still the one from the servants career, just in case you'd forgotten about it.

I hope I've helped you out here- I feel that this career has a lot of potential

SuperFly
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Fixed Career.rar (15.8 KB, 50 downloads)

Test Subject
#47 Old 29th Aug 2006 at 10:20 PM
Thank you so much. When I finally think up the tenth chance card I'll test it all out and make sure it's okay. I'll let you know how it goes!

I will try the career again with the others uninstalled, but when I tested it the first time, I'm pretty sure I hadn't installed any then. Meh...

And thank you for explaining the skill points, I wasn't quite sure, and wanted to get the other problems sorted before I tried to think about them.

And yeah, I did forget the image lol :-p I won't forget this time.

Thanks again :-D
Test Subject
#48 Old 2nd Sep 2006 at 7:54 AM
I guess i was wrong the package doesnt open in SimPE and i dont know how to open it in SimPE can you please help me
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#49 Old 2nd Sep 2006 at 8:50 AM
load up SimPE and click file,open and then navigate to where the file is saved.

Test Subject
#50 Old 3rd Sep 2006 at 7:35 AM
i have looked everywhere and i carnt find it any where
Page 2 of 17