Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#51 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 11:40 PM
I'd imagine it would provided you could find the texture for it. Some stuff seems to be linked to the neighborhood itself though. I've noticed there's billboards in Sunset Valley which don't appear in the Fullbuild2.package or at least I've yet to locate them using any sense of logic. You'd think they'd be with the rest of the billboard files. The only thing I can find for road is the sewer cover and grating. Although it does seem Sims 3 Package Explorer can open the .world files and there's a bunch of DDS files in there but they're not named anything that you can actually tell what they are without exporting and opening them.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 3:59 PM
Do you know what's the name of eyes on the list..or what's the instance number?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#53 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 4:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by senemm
Do you know what's the name of eyes on the list..or what's the instance number?

See post #17 HystericalParoxysm has already extracted them for you.

But no I don't know what they're called since my only attempt at eyes used the already extracted ones.
Forum Resident
#54 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 4:57 PM
Hmmm, ok, thanks. I'll download it and have a dig around then ; )

Disclaimer: These are the personally, personal opinions of me, myself and I. Yours may vary.
Terms & conditions do not apply
Test Subject
#55 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 8:23 PM
I got the texture to show up, but it overrides the original. Is there a way to make it not do that?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#56 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 9:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mr_morecoffee
I got the texture to show up, but it overrides the original. Is there a way to make it not do that?

No, not at this time. Maybe in the future though.
Test Subject
#57 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 9:20 PM
Oh, ok. Thanks much. I thought I had goofed something.
Test Subject
#58 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 6:05 PM
Hi again Do you know if there's any option to remove eyebrows ?
Just because I made a new face texture with my own eyebrows and it looks really ugly when those came with game cover mine on the texture..

And one more question
Can we edit the texture of sky // I mean is the sky on S3PI's editable objects list? ..or is it much more complicated to edit because of its continuous change?

Thanks
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#59 Old 3rd Jul 2009 at 12:09 AM
I've never actually seen a texture for the sky but there are several sky related ini files in C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Ini pertaining to different sky states. It looks like the sky colors are defined by RGB based on the various times of day. Depending on what you want to do it'd be a rather length process since there are alot of settings to edit some of which I'm not even sure work and may just be placeholders for a probable weather addition in an expansion pack.

Good luck if you try since they're not as user friendly as the XMLs. There's a few tidbits of information here and there but it's not as well spelled out as it is in most XML mods.
Mother Function
retired moderator
#60 Old 4th Jul 2009 at 7:23 AM
Thanks for the great tutorial! But....(and there's always a but)...I'm having trouble trying to replace that dreaded green alien milk baby bottle with a nice normal looking white milk texture. Is the milk bottle one of those textures that are un-replaceable or something? Or is there something special I have to do?

I extracted the dds file, made a new texture in photoshop, saved it as a DXT1 1bit alpha, imported it into a new package and installed it in the mods folder...

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Test Subject
#61 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 5:25 PM
Very good tutorial!

But I can't get my texture modifications to show up ingame.
I am using Photoshop CS and NVIDIA DDS Plugin and the tools mentioned above for extracting.

I bet it has something to do with the settings in Photoshop when I save the .dds file.

I have a Resource.cfg in my Sims 3 main folder with this content:
Priority 500
DirectoryFiles Mods/Files/... autoupdate
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*.package

I have put my created bunny.package in the "/Mods/Packages/" directory.
It should replace the texture of that painting with the bunny on it.

I have first opened the extracted dds file in photoshop:
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1049/error1ydx.jpg

and made some changes as you can see. Then I'm saving it like this:
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1299/error2r.jpg

Then I make the .package file. I just import and do not change anything on the settings. Then I save it in the "/Mods/Packages/" directory.

Then I start Sims 3 and buy the picture with the rabbit. But it is still the original one without my changes. Why?

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you so much for your help!
Test Subject
#62 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 8:44 PM
Hi again!

I have some trouble with S3PI when saving a file.. actually this problem occurs at few files only and it seems at all files in FullBuild0 too. - But I would need it definitely because I found the sky textures in it

Until this problem isn't fixed can someone plz save me and upload 3 files from FullBuild0 if it works for you (Just because I found out that this saving problem doesn't occur if I save an already edited and saved file by someone)

and the 3 files I'd need:
-moon /instance:0x83BD784917E7485F
-NightSkyStarsFlat /instance:0x08D39108DC211DC6
-Sky_SunHalo /instance:0x51EAD515780CFC7D

Thank you :lovestruc
Mother Function
retired moderator
#63 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 9:22 PM Last edited by daluved1 : 5th Jul 2009 at 9:42 PM.
Senemm - i'm on it!

Here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/?wnmyt1jthwc

Scholar
#64 Old 6th Jul 2009 at 1:16 AM
I think Thomas could be right about the sky files being there for a future game, I noticed a cloudy one, grey, stormy or something. As we don't have weather yet it isn't used in the game. I'd be hesitant to mess with those too much at this time, but then I'm a fuddy duddy
Test Subject
#65 Old 6th Jul 2009 at 11:33 AM
Thanks so much Daluved you're a miracle
btw I just want to edit few basic sky things like moon and starry sky so those which aren't connected to future weather features
Test Subject
#66 Old 6th Jul 2009 at 6:18 PM
Hi again

Finally here are the results of modding the moon
I replaced it with different planets, that's the jupiter one:
hope you like it :lovestruc
Scholar
#67 Old 6th Jul 2009 at 6:23 PM
Hey that's lovely. I have an idea for you, would it be posible to have more than one planet in the sky? I haven't event thought of modding something like that. For poeple who like to do sci fi themes in game a two planet sky could be just perfect for them
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#68 Old 6th Jul 2009 at 6:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mariahe
Very good tutorial!

But I can't get my texture modifications to show up ingame.
I am using Photoshop CS and NVIDIA DDS Plugin and the tools mentioned above for extracting.

I bet it has something to do with the settings in Photoshop when I save the .dds file.

I have a Resource.cfg in my Sims 3 main folder with this content:
Priority 500
DirectoryFiles Mods/Files/... autoupdate
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*.package

I have put my created bunny.package in the "/Mods/Packages/" directory.
It should replace the texture of that painting with the bunny on it.

I have first opened the extracted dds file in photoshop:
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1049/error1ydx.jpg

and made some changes as you can see. Then I'm saving it like this:
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1299/error2r.jpg

Then I make the .package file. I just import and do not change anything on the settings. Then I save it in the "/Mods/Packages/" directory.

Then I start Sims 3 and buy the picture with the rabbit. But it is still the original one without my changes. Why?

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you so much for your help!

I don't use Photoshop so I can't really tell you what settings to use for it. Hopefully, someone who does knows the answer.

Are you working with replacing the in game paintings in buy mode or are you working on paintings that they paint?

The problem with the buy mode paintings not working might have to do with your cache files so you could try deleting CASPartCache, compositorCache, scriptcache and Simcompositorcache from My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 and the two cache files in the thumbnails folder. Even then I've only managed to get it to replace 1 of the paintings with my own image with the others remaining the same. I know people have replaced the paintings but it just hasn't worked for me yet.

If it's paintings that they paint themselves then it's possible you only replaced one of the files needed to replace that particular painting and they're just painting it based off of their traits.
Mother Function
retired moderator
#69 Old 6th Jul 2009 at 11:07 PM
-raises hand- I still had a question

Lab Assistant
#70 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 11:05 PM
Thank you for this tutorial Thomas it helped me out so much creating my first set of default eyes!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#71 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 5:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daluved1
-raises hand- I still had a question

Sorry, it's been a hectic few days this week and I missed your question. There shouldn't be anything special you have to do but I'll look into it.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#72 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 6:24 PM
Thanks for the great tutorial! But....(and there's always a but)...I'm having trouble trying to replace that dreaded green alien milk baby bottle with a nice normal looking white milk texture. Is the milk bottle one of those textures that are un-replaceable or something? Or is there something special I have to do?

I extracted the dds file, made a new texture in photoshop, saved it as a DXT1 1bit alpha, imported it into a new package and installed it in the mods folder...

I see where you most likely went wrong. The baby bottle is actually DXT5 not DXT1. Mine turned out pretty good for something that was just thrown together to see why yours wouldn't be working. Try saving it as DXT 5, ARGB 8 bpp interpolated alpha which is what I used and see if that works.
Screenshots
Mother Function
retired moderator
#73 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 11:40 PM Last edited by daluved1 : 9th Jul 2009 at 12:30 AM.
Ah! I did dxt1...thanks

edit - still didn't work...did you new package only contain that one dds texture?

Lab Assistant
#74 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 9:11 PM
when doing the skin and eye replacemens do you have to replace the file or can you just save it to the mods/packages folder?

(\__/)
( ^.^)
(")__(")98% of teenagers do or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your siggy.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#75 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 9:59 PM
Ah! I did dxt1...thanks

edit - still didn't work...did you new package only contain that one dds texture?

Yes.

I'm not sure why it's not working for you. Unless there's more than one baby bottle texture. If you're deleting the cache files then it should show right up once you put it in the mods/packages folder.

The one I replaced is 34FD7BBB92E2204D 00B2D882 in FullBuild2.
Page 3 of 4