Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#51 Old 10th Nov 2013 at 6:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
you dont need phong alpha for this, phong will work aswell(atleast on most objects)

To fix your issue you most likly need to add a alpha map.
Open up the materials of your castable group(meshtab)
In the popup window in the top right corner there is a add button.
click it and add the alphamap.
click edit and link the alphamap to your multiplier.(with browse function)
HOWEVER....there is a bug/issue in tsrw were it will load the burnttexture as alphamap the moment you add it.
If your object does not have a burnt state then you can link that texture to your multiplier and all will be fine.
If your object does have a burnt state(you can check under +extra) the moment you link your multiplier as alphamap the burnt texture under extra will also be updated.....
not wat you want.

This often can be fixed by loading a diffrent shader+settings till it loads a alphamaptexture not related to your object.
You already changed shader so maybe it will give you another random texture that you can relink to your multiplier.
I hope this makes sence

After adding the alphamap, and then testing ingame, the problem persists. Except this time the transparent parts turn black and it happens with all patterns.

Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I have examined everything, and according to S3PE there is a broken TXTC. The textures look ok I am thinking it could be something to do with that TXTC. You may be able to fix it in workshop - Bloom can advise you on WS better than I can.

Could be whatever that is... I've looked around about how to fix TXTCs, but Google only brings up random threads not related to my problem. One thing interesting came up, and it was an archived MTS thread crinrict made warning everyone about the creepy doll from TSR.
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#52 Old 10th Nov 2013 at 7:00 PM
...which of course as you realise is absolutely nothing to do with your problem. I'd advise simply start your object again - save your texture images and mesh to use in the new clone, cos they're fine.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#53 Old 10th Nov 2013 at 8:44 PM
...which of course as you realise is absolutely nothing to do with your problem. I'd advise simply start your object again - save your texture images and mesh to use in the new clone, cos they're fine.

Well, I'm stumped. After cloning the dish again, the exact same happened as before. I managed to get some patterns to work by setting the alpha mask threshold to 120 again, but I'm basically back at square one.
#54 Old 10th Nov 2013 at 9:06 PM
Is your TXTC broken again, I wonder.... Maybe you could try doing the project using the s3pi toolset

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Sockpuppet
#55 Old 11th Nov 2013 at 3:30 PM
did you try adding a alphamap as i advised?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#56 Old 11th Nov 2013 at 8:10 PM
Is your TXTC broken again, I wonder.... Maybe you could try doing the project using the s3pi toolset

Okay, but it'll take me a little while to find my way around it.

did you try adding a alphamap as i advised?

Yes, and instead of showing the pattern in the transparent parts there was just blackness.
Sockpuppet
#57 Old 12th Nov 2013 at 12:53 AM
can i see the wrk file?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#58 Old 12th Nov 2013 at 8:28 PM
can i see the wrk file?

I haven't messed around with the .wrk file too much since I recloned, so the mesh group doesn't have an alpha map yet, but here you go.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Affluent Dish.zip (81.8 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Sockpuppet
#59 Old 12th Nov 2013 at 10:13 PM
not 100% sure but i believe but objects with transparancy use a 4 color setup.
You now have a object with a 3 color setup but are using a dxt5 mask(should be dxt1 by default)
You might want to try enabling it to 4 castable channels with tt3

Ill try to check out the file when i have more time.
Alchemist
#60 Old 13th Nov 2013 at 2:30 AM
not 100% sure but i believe but objects with transparancy use a 4 color setup.
Not all EA's objects with transparency have a 4 channel set up. Their SculptureTrellisWroughtIron has only 1 channel but it also has an alpha with transparency.

I agree with Inge...when making anything other than a pretty standard item you're usually better off using the s3oc/s3pe/tt3 combo rather than tsrw.
Sockpuppet
#61 Old 13th Nov 2013 at 2:39 PM
Doesn't matter wat you use as long as your setup is correct all will work fine.
And if your using s3Oc/s3PE/tt3 you are forced to use Blender and the whole bunch of plugins aswell as this object has geostates.
Not something i would advise to a beginner.
Alchemist
#62 Old 13th Nov 2013 at 3:21 PM
Doesn't matter wat you use as long as your setup is correct all will work fine.
And if your using s3Oc/s3PE/tt3 you are forced to use Blender and the whole bunch of plugins aswell as this object has geostates.
Not something i would advise to a beginner.
Wes fixed his Milkshape plugins to manage geostate items over a year ago so using Blender isn't obligatory. It is true that using Milkshape in this case would not allow you to use the different geostates but if you want the item to maintain the same appearance at all times this doesn't really matter.
Sockpuppet
#63 Old 13th Nov 2013 at 3:31 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 13th Nov 2013 at 3:51 PM.
Then the bowl is always full....
Seems the good old discussion about wats best.
I really cant be bothered OM, i am 10 times faster with tsrw adding a alphamap and managing the geostates.

Here is a WRK file with correct setup RP.
You must use a alphamap on this object otherwise the alpha channel of the dirttexture will overrule the alphachannel of the multiplier.
Pretty sure the pattern issue was cos of a incorrect mask texture(needs to be dxt1 instead of dxt5, i fixed that)
Has working Geostates.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#64 Old 13th Nov 2013 at 4:37 PM
Then the bowl is always full....
Seems the good old discussion about wats best.
I really cant be bothered OM, i am 10 times faster with tsrw adding a alphamap and managing the geostates.

Here is a WRK file with correct setup RP.
You must use a alphamap on this object otherwise the alpha channel of the dirttexture will overrule the alphachannel of the multiplier.
Pretty sure the pattern issue was cos of a incorrect mask texture(needs to be dxt1 instead of dxt5, i fixed that)
Has working Geostates.

You.. Haven't attached anything.
Sockpuppet
#65 Old 13th Nov 2013 at 5:14 PM
oops, forgot..
updated specular texture aswell
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  petBowlLuxury_Clone.7z (39.1 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#66 Old 13th Nov 2013 at 7:24 PM
oops, forgot..
updated specular texture aswell

Thank you so much! I'll definitely keep your changes in mind when making an object that requires an alpha mask etc in the future.
Sockpuppet
#67 Old 13th Nov 2013 at 11:26 PM
you only should need a alphamask if it has extra material states, you can check that in the meshtab.
Burn, dirt, light or watever extra material state.
You have to update both then with a alphamap.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#68 Old 16th Nov 2013 at 4:49 PM
Hello!

I'm back with another simple question... Why has a mesh randomly started appearing like this in Blender? It's fine prior to importing and still appears like this in tsrw.

I'm guessing I've accidentally clicked something I shouldn't have in Blender?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#69 Old 16th Nov 2013 at 5:30 PM
What's wrong with it? That looks normal to me, for a mesh which is being viewed in flat shaded, not smooth shaded, mode (those labels are from Milkshape, I don't know exactly what Blender calls those options).

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#70 Old 16th Nov 2013 at 5:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
What's wrong with it? That looks normal to me, for a mesh which is being viewed in flat shaded, not smooth shaded, mode (those labels are from Milkshape, I don't know exactly what Blender calls those options).

The mesh goes from this:

To this:
#71 Old 16th Nov 2013 at 5:49 PM
Nysha's explanation sounds right for what you are showing us.

Sockpuppet
#72 Old 16th Nov 2013 at 6:12 PM
Its not the view but the normals have been changed.
Could be a import setting or in the worst case all vertice are splitup(Blender will smooth each face independent then.)
CMO probably knows
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#73 Old 16th Nov 2013 at 6:42 PM Last edited by Retarded_Pig : 17th Nov 2013 at 12:05 AM.
I reinstalled Blender with hope of resetting all of the settings incase I'd messed anything up, but the mesh still imported like that, whereas other meshes like the Pet Pillow don't. I'm wondering why Blender would change the normals of that mesh alone, too, without changing the other ones?

[EDIT]
While I'm searching for an answer for this, I've begun playing around with modifying the light occluders. I've managed to figure out how to resize and transform the... Planes? But the yellow lines/normals I can not seem to move, only resize. I'm thinking this is why the shadow appears messed up in-game. Here is a pic:
Sockpuppet
#74 Old 16th Nov 2013 at 11:45 PM
Is that mesh a EA mesh or a custom one?
Can you upload it, think it has its vertice split(you can check yourself, should have a higher ammount of faces then vertice)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#75 Old 17th Nov 2013 at 12:08 AM
Is that mesh a EA mesh or a custom one?
Can you upload it, think it has its vertice split(you can check yourself, should have a higher ammount of faces then vertice)

It's an EA mesh, and the amount of faces does not exceed the amount of vertices.
Page 3 of 4