Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#51 Old 8th Nov 2015 at 6:53 PM
Oh, I thought it was Tuesday!

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Advertisement
Theorist
#52 Old 9th Nov 2015 at 2:35 AM
This is probably late but for those who haven't gotten it spoiled yet... AVOID SOCIAL MEDIA. Spiteful people are posting spoilers in the titles on relevant boards, possibly even at the Bethesda Official Forums. Also stay away from YouTube videos.
Test Subject
#53 Old 8th Dec 2015 at 2:04 PM
So... Been enjoying Fo4 so far? Of course, this is of itself a form of social media, so the previous poster didn't help the life of this thread much.. lol

Its involving, to say the least... A number of ways to build settlements... etc....
Scholar
#54 Old 8th Dec 2015 at 4:15 PM
I decided not to buy it the coming time. Maybe when a GOTY version is on sale or something. Anyway, I watched some vids and playthroughs and I saw some great things and some very bad things. I like the new graphical style , I like the modifying of weapons, I like the idea of building settlements that draw settlers, and I read that combat is improved.

But these below are main points that I don't like:

- Preset background (father who lost wife and starts out searching for his kid) and preset voice, so you are quite limited in creating a toon imo. I think adding just the one voice to your character was a bad idea.
- Meaningless dialogue options, you cant really be evil for example. And so far I didn't see any interesting sidequests.
- Followers don't have character like in FO 3/NV. Factions have their lore, but don't really act on it or seem to have their own agenda. You can't even seem to kill certain quest npcs.
- New skill system and no max lvl, means you become master of all trades in time. No trade offs, like investing in strenght at the cost of intelligence etc. The stats also don't really influence your dialogue options. This is another factor that would destroy replayability for me.
- Combat, combat , combat. Any other skill tends to be meaningless.

So far my impression is that it is more like an action game with some rpg elements. One of the main reasons why I love FO3/NV and Skyrim is creating new characters with very different skills and character and then progress in a very different way. This seems to be destroyed in FO4. Maybe this gets addressed with DLC or mods, but so far I am not impressed. I am still hoping for a 3d version of Fallout 1 and 2. And not just another action rpg light.
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 9th Dec 2015 at 4:20 PM
The preset background for the PC has kinda made me lose interest. If I get to customize the character, but they're already married, that feels like a huge disconnect from the type of character I'd want to RP.
Mad Poster
#56 Old 9th Dec 2015 at 4:41 PM
Yes, but Skyrim had the jack-of-all-trades element too without the usage of any mods. Personally decided to wait on getting FO4 until all DLC, official patches and unofficial patches/community fixes are made. The game seems a bit broken in some areas, and as Bethesda custom, community mods will help put a bandage on the wounds.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#57 Old 9th Dec 2015 at 6:40 PM
Well, I'm enjoying it so far. I've really got into building the settlements. I'm playing a female character. The dialogue options are somewhat limited but recede in importance to getting my tower right.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Field Researcher
#58 Old 12th Dec 2015 at 7:14 PM
FO4 is fun, I am running some mods, not many, just a map mod, texture mod, dialog mod(I still got the voices) and that config tool

I am MOHAAPlayer on Discord
Scholar
#59 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 9:52 AM
Okay, long story short my shitty house, a long-standing Queenslander that had been meticulously renovated, has only been lived in by garbage dicks and apparently I'm the only one who ever thought "Hey you know what would be nice? A fucking phone line." Yes, apparently nobody prior to me wanted one and so I'm forced to use a dongle which is like internet on a USB that runs off of a mobile network. Fun fact: It's capped at 25 gigabytes.

Now Bethesda, incapable of ever once releasing a finished product, have partnered up with Steam to release a mandatory 24gb patch for god knows what reason. And it's mandatory. So I have a stupid question but whatever: Will a 24gb patch use up 24gb worth of downloads? I don't want to be over-charged for going over the limit.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Field Researcher
#60 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 9:06 PM
Err, find free wifi, also Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!

I am MOHAAPlayer on Discord
Test Subject
#61 Old 18th Dec 2015 at 5:49 AM
A good mod for the sims series would be a gameplay clip of killing deathclaws, raiders etc and uploading it so your sim can play fallout.
Scholar
#62 Old 18th Dec 2015 at 5:55 AM
If you thought the sims sucked at routing, play this game and you'll see the nadir of pathfinding in gaming.

Still fun though.

Heaven's Peak, my CAW WIP
Theorist
#63 Old 18th Dec 2015 at 7:54 AM
Dear Bethesda: There is a critical, game-breaking bug that must be fixed with all haste. Ceiling fans stop working.
Theorist
#64 Old 4th Jan 2016 at 6:00 PM
I've been enjoying FO4 to the point of unhealthy addiction.
I find it's for the most part, very much like FO3 and FONV, but with the huge addition of settlements which could allow the game to continue long past the storyline and quests.
Settlements is a major addition, like adding a whole other genre of game into it. I've never played sim city, but it makes me think of that type of game where you create little societies or communities. You can build up little settlements with buildings, resources, assign people to tasks, etc. There are categories like Food, Beds, Defense, etc. that if you keep them satisfied for the population, your settlement's overall happiness increases. I find myself spending a LOT of time working on settlements between quests, and the settlements actually give you a reason to collect, hoard, and scavenge useless loot: it can be processed into raw materials for creating things for your settlements (and also for chem, weapon, armor, or food crafting).

There's no construction physics like on Sims games though. You can have floating stairs, roofs attached to a single wall, and buildings can float above the ground if the surface is uneven. One thing I think they could have done is use a random name generator to name the spawned settlers instead of just naming each one "Settler".

Also, a little spoiler about the character customization.

Resident wet blanket.
Scholar
#65 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 10:05 AM
How many pre-existing, populated towns are there? All I've found is Diamond City and Covenant.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Theorist
#66 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 6:24 PM
There's 2 more, 5 if you count faction hideouts. This is not counting the settlement outposts, of course.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#67 Old 6th Jan 2016 at 6:42 PM
I went to the Glowing Sea last night.

Scholar
#68 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 11:46 AM
Ah, yep. Goodneighbor and Bunker Hill? Pretty lame, i like the pre-existing settlements, i don't want to have to build my own.

Anyway, I just had my first encounter with an assaultron. Fuck that. Fuck that shit. I was heading to the island Croup Manor is on and it was on the bridge with another robot guard. It's terrifying. It actually threw a car in a water though this might be a scripted thing. I had to sneak away from it and it was following us. Luckily the chem dealer Stash and her guards were with us and together, with Codsworth, we killed it. Stash is now my fave NPC and now, with the way cleared, I'm outside Coup Manor debating whether to take over it.

But I'm low on ammo and my guns are shit. Any easily obtainable guns you can find early in the game? I thought it was like Fallout 3 where everything levels with you but even basic bitch wild mongrels are a pain.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#69 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 12:07 PM Last edited by maxon : 7th Jan 2016 at 1:15 PM.
There's a trick (cheat) to getting a Cryolator early on but I went with (and still have) a souped up shotgun and a rifle I was given by an NPC. I made the shotgun (crafting) which is pretty easy to do. I'll spoiler the location of the rifle:

Also, Danse's laser rifle is pretty good for a while. Also get the increased ammo perk as soon as you can.

Scholar
#70 Old 7th Jan 2016 at 12:50 PM
Croup manor is full of ghouls, I know there is a glowing one behind a locked door upstairs, with more in a basement.

When I was getting started, I cleared the Wreck of the USS Riptide repeatedly for gear, since a lot of the raiders walk in the open, making it easy to get headshots. Even the guy in power armor doesn't take many headshots to put away, and once you clear them, there's at least one good trunk of loot on the deck, not to mention whatever they were carrying themselves.

Heaven's Peak, my CAW WIP
Theorist
#71 Old 8th Jan 2016 at 8:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12
Anyway, I just had my first encounter with an assaultron. Fuck that. Fuck that shit. I was heading to the island Croup Manor is on and it was on the bridge with another robot guard. It's terrifying. It actually threw a car in a water though this might be a scripted thing. I had to sneak away from it and it was following us. Luckily the chem dealer Stash and her guards were with us and together, with Codsworth, we killed it. Stash is now my fave NPC and now, with the way cleared, I'm outside Coup Manor debating whether to take over it.

I got killed repeatedly by that exact same assaultron on the way to Croup Manor at level 22. After about the 4th or 5th time, I said fuck that shit and just ran like hell. That seemed to work.

I'm also starting to wonder if the spawned Settlers on settlements are invincible, as well as the named settlers. On those random settlement raids, nobody ever seems to get killed except the enemies. If that's the case, I may have been wasting my time micromanaging their armor and weapons. There's one definite exception though, Arlen Glass of The Slog. He was getting killed every single time in a Super Mutant raid. I quicksaved before the raid and had to redo that one maybe 12 times before I managed to have a successful run where Arlen Glass didn't die. He's also one of the only settlers in any settlement that won't let me trade him armor or weapons.

Resident wet blanket.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#72 Old 8th Jan 2016 at 10:47 PM
They can die but I'm suspecting it's only at your hands.

Scholar
#73 Old 9th Jan 2016 at 11:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
I got killed repeatedly by that exact same assaultron on the way to Croup Manor at level 22. After about the 4th or 5th time, I said fuck that shit and just ran like hell. That seemed to work.

I figured it being there when I was at a low level means it'll always spawn. But I tried running and it followed, even in caution. Raiders lose interest fast and most creatures will leave you alone but that assaultron followed me all the way down the bridge. It was actually a bit scary.

I took over Croup Manor. I'd say with ease but that's a lie. The ghouls, including the reavers, were easy enough. The two boss level ones killed me and required a bit of strategy. (Thank God I save my game frequently and before starting fights with the high level enemies.) The one on the top floor I lured out onto my bottlecap mine. The one in the basement I spammed with molotovs. Now I have my own mansion to summer at, Hamptoms style. I'd make it a settlement but every follower seems to feel the need to insult the place when we approach. Hurtful.

One thing though, when I fast traveled back a random feral ghoul had spawned. Not sure if this was meant to be an attack, a bug or what.

I went for a walk up the beach and had my first encounter with a mirelurk queen and promptly found myself fleeing the island all together.

I later ditched Codsworth. Our relationship was shit and I found him pretty useless. I've got Piper now, we're besties. I've got a hardened sniper rifle and a combat shotgun, both of which have kept me out of trouble so at least I'm not having to run away from everything.

I temporarily sent away Piper to do the Human Error quest. I knew she'd hate my choice but I didn't want to have to kill everyone at Covenant. It's now my most populated settlement. Pity the pre-existing turrets don't count to the safety rating. I've now got probably a dozen of them around the place. Someone on Gamefaqs mentioned the rating should be the food and warer score combined, then doubled. So my rating of 18 needs a defense of 36.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#74 Old 10th Jan 2016 at 12:21 AM
I think it's food and water combined and a bit more though it might depend on what level you're playing on. Having never played a Fallout game before, I'm just playing on normal. Pretty easy tbh - I play other games on higher settings. I murdered all of Covenant and have replaced them with my own people.

Also, just wait till you meet the kings...

Scholar
#75 Old 11th Jan 2016 at 10:03 AM
I was all "It's so easy now that I've leveled up and have a good follower and great guns" but then I ran into an assaultron and now I refuse to leave the safety of my newest settlement, Starlight.

Page 3 of 5