Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th May 2019 at 6:53 PM
Default SimPE - remove gray hair textures
I'm sure this is a dumb question so please bear with me. I did try searching the forum, but maybe I'm using the wrong keywords. Anyway....

I used Wardrobe Wrangler to bin all my hairs. I know there are other tools out there, but I already did 95% of my hairs that way so I'm not looking for a binning tool to redo those. If I look at some of the hair colors in SimPE, I see a gray texture in there, even though I removed the Elder age using Wardrobe Wrangler. Is it as simple as deleting the gray texture in SimPE? For example, if I click on Texture Image and see a gray texture in there, can I select it and delete it without screwing anything up?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 4th Jun 2019 at 10:38 PM
Default You can.
Quote: Originally posted by venusking
I'm sure this is a dumb question so please bear with me. I did try searching the forum, but maybe I'm using the wrong keywords. Anyway....

I used Wardrobe Wrangler to bin all my hairs. I know there are other tools out there, but I already did 95% of my hairs that way so I'm not looking for a binning tool to redo those. If I look at some of the hair colors in SimPE, I see a gray texture in there, even though I removed the Elder age using Wardrobe Wrangler. Is it as simple as deleting the gray texture in SimPE? For example, if I click on Texture Image and see a gray texture in there, can I select it and delete it without screwing anything up?

Running a test shows deleting (unchecking) an age doesn't delete anything. The Property Set age is set to zero. No other changes to the package are made.
However, it's nice having all ages for a hair, this is how it should be done. Even if 1 or 2 ages can't use the custom mesh, they should be tied to a default and the family flag tied to the group.
Why? If you play with how aging looks, taking your sim from toddler to child to teen to ....Elder. You may lose your custom hair and need to "locate" it again. Which can be a real pain!

So yes, you can delete the Elder texture. The other involved files I wouldn't worry about, they're such a small size.

SG
Mad Poster
#3 Old 4th Jun 2019 at 11:11 PM
Personally I prefer using Cat's binner, because it properly removes unused resouces.

You should not skip ages, because then the game gives the sim a new hairdo when the sim grows up.

If I want to hide but not completely remove an age/gender from a hair or accessory recolor, I tend to put 0 in the age and/or gender category of that age. This hides it ingame, but it's very easy to change it back if you change your mind.

If you want regular hair colors for your elders, you can set the adult age to 18 and delete/hide the elder age - this makes the adult color hair show up for elders too. Or you can copy the texture name of the adult hair and paste it into the elder TXMT, and then delete the grey texture.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 5th Jun 2019 at 6:28 PM
Thanks for the answers! I love how everyone is always so helpful on this forum :lovestruc

I will check out Cats binning tool for future binning. For now...

I have an elder texture/age already for the hair. What I did was this:

I downloaded a hair mesh and 5 colors. For example: Dynamite (black), Nesert (brown), Explosive (red), Sequet (blonde) and Mailbomb (gray). I binned them accordingly and the gray (mailbomb) is tied to the family with only the elder age ticked for this color. This seems to work as the elder gets the correct hair. I unchecked the elder age on the other colors, so the elders category wouldn't have colors other than gray in there. The problem is that (sometimes) the other colors have a gray texture in them, which is useless to me as I already have a gray texture familied to the hair. The only other time I uncheck ages is if the hair doesn't have a texture for that age. In that case, I don't want to see the hair in that age as it is usually a game texture and just clutters up the category.

Why do I care? Well, my downloads folder is (ahem) rather large. I'm trying to pare it down a bit. Maybe the extra gray textures aren't that large, but when I think of all the hairs I have, every little bit helps. Or maybe I just have OCD (ha ha).
Mad Poster
#5 Old 5th Jun 2019 at 10:48 PM
I forgot to say - if you want to delete something from the file, skip the 3DIR files. In hair files these seem to sometimes screw up the ages when they're not removed properly (I think Cat's binner removes them properly). They don't take up much space, and are less harmful to leave in than to delete. The only thing you actually need to delete to remove an age completely is the PropertySet (and unwanted TXTRz if you want to reduce the filesize, just make sure you don't delete any you want to keep, since SimPE puts all identical textures into one TXTR).
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Jun 2019 at 2:44 PM
So here? It has 3 txtr files. I have gray selected. The 2nd one is just black/white dots. I assume I leave that alone. The 3rd is the actual color (in this case brown).

Mad Poster
#7 Old 6th Jun 2019 at 4:10 PM
The blank/dotted one is for the head texture. Should stay put.
The grey one you can probably delete if you've already removed the elder stage.

If you don't want the hair for elders, you're done.

If you want elders to have the same color as adults, and the PropertySet (age 10) is stll available, you can link it up to the brown texture by copying the TXTR name and switching it out in the elder TXTR (there may be a prefix you need to keep in the name)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 6th Jun 2019 at 5:00 PM
Thanks so much!! Now...off to work on my hair folder I go.