Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jul 2019 at 8:34 PM
Sidewalk Intersections -- Unveil their Mysteries to Me!
I've always tended to avoid using sidewalks (apart from the ones that are attached to the roads by default), but recently I have had a change of perception and wish to utilize them. Specifically, I wish to connect the sidewalks to the roads that have sidewalks attached to them.

My problem is this: The intersection pieces for sidewalks look identical to the sidewalks attached to the roads.
I can create a sidewalk and have it end right at the sidewalk-attached road and it looks fine. But does it route properly? Does it need an intersection piece to connect to the road-sidewalk? I guess what I am asking is, do I have to place a sidewalk intersection piece on top of the road-sidewalk in order for it to work? Or is it okay to drag the new sidewalk right down to the edge of the road-sidewalk and leave it be? Will sims recognize it as connected?

I can create screenshots if needed.

A fool and his money are soon parted. ~ Thomas Tusser
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Jul 2019 at 8:37 AM
Do not put any roads or sidewalks on top of each other. I have heard this can totally corrupt a world. I just drag my sidewalks to where the road ones are and make sure there are no gaps. No intersections are needed. Routing has always been fine with doing this in my worlds.

TBH I am not sure if they are "connected" or not as do not watch other sims that much. I do know my sims drive to a location where a sidewalk joins a road and then take that sidewalk to the target location using the sidewalk when I send them to a wanted end destination. Such as up a hill to a pond lot.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Jul 2019 at 5:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
Do not put any roads or sidewalks on top of each other. I have heard this can totally corrupt a world. I just drag my sidewalks to where the road ones are and make sure there are no gaps. No intersections are needed. Routing has always been fine with doing this in my worlds.

Thank you. That saves me a lot of grief.

I'm considering making a new thread for another question related to Create A World, but I'll type a mini version of it here in case you happen to return.

In short: Is there something special about Isla Paradiso that makes the dive lots brighter? You can see much further in the dive lots native to Isla Paradiso, yet in other worlds, dive lots have very little view-distance and are murky. It's proving very difficult to decorate them and place spawners. Example: I look to the right, blue fog creeps in and obscures all that was previously visible to my left. In Isla Paradiso, you can see to your right and left and straight ahead of you with no "fog".
I tried changing the colour of the water and the lighting of the custom world to match Isla Paradiso's, but dive lots are still murky.

Any insight would be welcome.

Edit: I've added two pictures. The dark blue murky one is from a custom world. The brighter picture is from Isla Paradiso. I don't have any pictures from the time when I gave the custom world the same ocean colour and lighting settings as Isla Paradiso, but be assured that the results were the same...the dark blue fog was merely turquoise and just as obstructive.
Screenshots

Mad Poster
#4 Old 7th Jul 2019 at 8:09 AM
I have never done a dive lot and this is totally totally totally a maybe totally wrong guess. If you look at a dive lot have they been able to place lights like in the tombs? The ones in debug?
Have you looked at one of the EA ones in build mode if we can do that?

Someone else probably can advise far better than me about this. For sure!

Glad to be able to help some about sidewalks.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 7th Jul 2019 at 10:11 AM
You may want to play around with the WaterDepthFactor that can be found in the D89F9D186B7BB372%% ini-file (Tunable Parameters Related to Sea). Isla Paradiso has set that value to 0 which seems to make the water crystal clear. Not sure if this is the only parameter to make the water so clear though.

I haven't played around with that so I can't give you a "how to". More information is in this thread: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=459198
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Jul 2019 at 4:11 PM
I have never done a dive lot and this is totally totally totally a maybe totally wrong guess. If you look at a dive lot have they been able to place lights like in the tombs? The ones in debug?
Have you looked at one of the EA ones in build mode if we can do that?

Yes, I did experiment with those, but they don't seem to cast any light underwater. I also tried the spawner for the wavy light effect made specifically for dive lots, and while the wavy ray effect looks cool, it does nothing to brighten the area up.

Quote: Originally posted by Norn
You may want to play around with the WaterDepthFactor that can be found in the D89F9D186B7BB372%% ini-file (Tunable Parameters Related to Sea). Isla Paradiso has set that value to 0 which seems to make the water crystal clear. Not sure if this is the only parameter to make the water so clear though.

I haven't played around with that so I can't give you a "how to". More information is in this thread: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=459198

I'll give this a whirl once my brain fully wakes up. Thank you for the link.

Mad Poster
#7 Old 10th Jul 2019 at 11:12 AM

TBH I am not sure if they are "connected" or not as do not watch other sims that much. I do know my sims drive to a location where a sidewalk joins a road and then take that sidewalk to the target location using the sidewalk when I send them to a wanted end destination. Such as up a hill to a pond lot.

I've actually heard that there aren't really any issues of corruption, but that it may cause some routing issues due to your sims not quite knowing what to use.

Like what you said, intersections are not necessarily needed for the ends of roads and sidewalks, which allows you to make things like driveways.
Instructor
#8 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 11:22 AM
Quote:
In short: Is there something special about Isla Paradiso that makes the dive lots brighter? You can see much further in the dive lots native to Isla Paradiso, yet in other worlds, dive lots have very little view-distance and are murky. It's proving very difficult to decorate them and place spawners. Example: I look to the right, blue fog creeps in and obscures all that was previously visible to my left. In Isla Paradiso, you can see to your right and left and straight ahead of you with no "fog".
I tried changing the colour of the water and the lighting of the custom world to match Isla Paradiso's, but dive lots are still murky.

I had the same problem in my custom world so I tried to compare its ini files with ones from my friend's world where the visibility on dive lots is great and found out that my files were missing these lines in the sky parameters:

[UnderSeaFog]
UnderSeaFogStartDist = 10.0
UnderSeaFogEndDist = 82.1
UnderSeaFogFalloffPower = 0.42

So this is what influences the visibility on dive lots. If it is missing in your files, copy it at the end of the "Tunable Parameters Related to Sky". If it is already there, you have to adjust it for greater visibility.

Visit my Tumblr for more creations http://crowkeeperthesimmer.tumblr.com :)
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 4:15 AM Last edited by Dixieland : 22nd Jul 2019 at 6:05 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Crowkeeper
I had the same problem in my custom world so I tried to compare its ini files with ones from my friend's world where the visibility on dive lots is great and found out that my files were missing these lines in the sky parameters:

[UnderSeaFog]
UnderSeaFogStartDist = 10.0
UnderSeaFogEndDist = 82.1
UnderSeaFogFalloffPower = 0.42

So this is what influences the visibility on dive lots. If it is missing in your files, copy it at the end of the "Tunable Parameters Related to Sky". If it is already there, you have to adjust it for greater visibility.

:lovestruc THANK YOU! :lovestruc

Your words make sense to my whirling brain, but I must readjust and try this later. I am at this very moment in Creation Kit making a mod for Skyrim and I dare not entangle myself within the intricate vines of Create A World just yet.

Long story short: I'll be back! (And thank you so much!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edit: So I did exactly as you suggested and--BINGO!

I can finally see the whole of the dive lot and some of the ocean floor beyond. It is wonderful.
I truly cannot thank you enough! I've been trying to get an answer to the dive light visibility issue ever since Island Paradise released! I spoke to a couple of worlds creators a few years back, and they basically looked at me like I had ten heads attached to my body. They seriously could not fathom what I was describing. Even screenshots did not help. Ah, no matter. What's done is done.

Thank you again, Crowkeeper.