Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Undead Molten Llama
#26 Old 14th Jul 2019 at 12:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
I so get your point and maybe I'll change my mind when it comes out. But, I bought sims 3 and some expansions and sims 4 and some expansions and I play sims 2 exclusively, so...

Yeah, I'm kind of the same way. If the gameplay is significantly different than the EA games, then I might be more interested, depending on what that gameplay is like, but it doesn't seem like that's what this person is going for. I skimmed through the longer thread over on the TS4 forum, and it seems like the developer's trying to do a "mash all the good Sims-game things together" kind of thing. I'm not sure I'd be interested in that. If I'm going to play a different game, I want...a different game. Granted, it's not like you can do something really astoundingly different with a life simulator....which is probably why I don't feel a need for another one. TS2 and TS3 fill my needs, I guess.

Regarding the textures, though: I read on the TS4 forum thread that the developer is going for a cel-shaded look, which is interesting. I like cel-shading so long as it looks "layered" enough and doesn't look too flat. But on the whole, I don't play a game for its art style, though that can be a turn-on or a turn-off. For me, the most important thing is gameplay, and for me to be really interested in this it'll have to be more than an amalgam of EA's "greatest hits," so to speak.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Advertisement
Theorist
#27 Old 14th Jul 2019 at 1:00 AM
Quote:
"mash all the good Sims-game things together"

This is a similar thought to the one behind Stardew Valley, in the fellow wanted to take what was the best from all the different Harvest Moon games and build them into one. He did a pretty fair job of it too but one thing an HM game has going for (or against, depending on your perspective) is that it doesn't have the longevity of playing a Sims game. I've always enjoyed them for a while but once I hit a point I'm tired of the same thing over and over. That doesn't mean I've never got tired of Sims but it happens with less frequency.

smorbie, at least I'm with ya on TS4. Maybe if they paid me to try it I'd download it on a virtual machine but otherwise no thanks. To me, though, TS2 and TS3 are both great games--not without their share of problems but both great games nevertheless.
Field Researcher
#28 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 4:08 PM
Reading the description of how to play, I'm wondering if this isn't more like playing one avatar and exploring and meeting others, instead of building a family or controlling several Sims. (first post description)
Mad Poster
#29 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 4:46 PM
I wonder if things like patterns won't be possible because of the cell shading. WIth single-colored cell shading, making items smaller or larger would be easy since you're not that bound to an UVmap. But when you mix in patterns, you need UVmapping or some other way of applying patterned materials without them getting stretched. Areas with just one color al over are much easier to stretch and animate.
Forum Resident
#30 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 5:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
^ The Mac version has fewer EPs included, so I wouldn't be interested in it even if someone gave me a Mac for free. Never was much fond of Macs, and that's not about to change.

But I'd be jumping with joy if they did it for the full UC, though. That would've been absolutely awesome.

I play UC on a Mac

I use a bootcamp partition - super easy to install, and with the SSD it's actually performed better than my PC

I love Macs <3
Mad Poster
#31 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 2:08 AM
I know you can technically play the full game on a Mac, but I don't like Macs in general. Hate the file/folder setup, hate the overpriced hype, hate the "macs have fewer bugs than WIndows" myth, because the amount of bug wrestlng and freezeups I had to deal with over a year back when I did photography school was ridicolous compared to the much lower amount of bugs I experienced on the Windows laptop I owned at the time (possibly the entire time I owned it, save for the last year or so), so I "swore" I'd never use or own an Apple product unless there was no other option available. To this day I've never even owned an iPhone... Windows PCs have their faults, but so does Apple products, so it's the matter of choosing the lesser evil, or at least the one you're most comfortable with. I happen to prefer Windows.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 5:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by terula8
I play UC on a Mac

I use a bootcamp partition - super easy to install, and with the SSD it's actually performed better than my PC

I love Macs <3

I love macs, too. I've thought about getting one and using the partition for my sims. But, my son said he didn't think it would be worth the money. I don't think he's crazy about the partition thing. But, I'ma look into it more. If it's that easy to partition, that is.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Forum Resident
#33 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 5:48 PM
Finally! Some competition!

Time for the free market to finally kick in for the life simulation genre. The Sims has had a monopoly for way too long and has gotten way too comfortable with being the only option and therefore not having to try.

Having a new game enter the market with pretty much everything that The Sims doesn’t allow should be pretty interesting.

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Mad Poster
#34 Old 20th Jul 2019 at 2:45 AM
Meet Me In My Next Life
#35 Old 20th Jul 2019 at 3:15 AM Last edited by Simonut : 20th Jul 2019 at 3:29 AM.
From the looks of the furniture I saw and outside trees etc. it look really cartoon looking. ( I know that is only an example ) All those some people may say Sims 2 is cartoonish.
I don't see anything to jump joy about, in my opinion Sims 2 is still on top. Unless things get far better I am sticking with Sims 2 If it turn out to be better than the Sims 2 I might be interest.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Mad Poster
#36 Old 21st Jul 2019 at 3:40 AM
As several people have said in the other thread: the game is still in a very early stage of development and the developers have more important things to work on right now. Don't judge the graphics until they're actually finished and finalized.
Instructor
#37 Old 21st Jul 2019 at 4:21 AM
They have tried this before and all have been terrible.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#38 Old 21st Jul 2019 at 7:23 PM
It would be nice if Sims 2 simmers could sat down with the developers and give ideas on how to build an even better Sims game build off of what make Sims 2 great.
Even if they take the time to find out with die hard Sims 2 fans, I think they would have a better Sims game base off what Sims 2 fans would say.

As to what is needed to really bring the game up to a "Super Level" of game play, through the years from Sims 1 Sims 2 really up the game. Sims 3 and Sims 4 all I see was open world and rabbit holes. Sims 4 seem like it was trying to climb the mountain with bit of game play here and there,somewhat of an improvement but to be real Sims 3 and 4 did borrow things from Sims 2.

I may sound a bit biased here over preferences, but if truth be told the developers or engineers sometime can be hand and hand on a project.
I think what is needed is to ask the question within the Sims community of players what did we like or did not like about Sims 1, 2, 3, 4 producing a game and actually playing the game is a different ballgame. Question need to be ask among people who is still playing Sims 2 after 10 years or more, question like WHY?

If this was done before, the developers would know how to build Sims to even a higher super level of new Interactions. Better yet they need to ask our Sims "Modders" who really help and improved on many areas of the Sims game that Maxis fail to not do or add. How many of us right now is using game play that was created by Modders? Count me in Modders who was just like you and me who just regular Sims players, who did mods for the game that even professional developers over look or did not do, modders who listen to our voices and investigated within the core the game and made changing.

With modders help added we still today are still playing Sims 2. But to be fair even with Sims 3 and Sims 4 still the modders are improving the game base on those two version, but still it go right back to taken or borrowing mods from Sims 2 that was converted for 3 & 4 .So tell me who is still the SUPER STAR ? :lovestruc Ok that my rant for today. folks. lol

Instructor
#39 Old 21st Jul 2019 at 7:27 PM
I never got 4 as it requires Origin and I will NOT put that on my computer.
Mad Poster
#40 Old 21st Jul 2019 at 7:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MattGo74
They have tried this before and all have been terrible.

The Movies was kind of a cousin to The Sims, and I found many features delightful. The ability to make your own movies (mine stunk, but that's another topic!), deal with divas and divos, build your lot and upgrade it was quite fun. I gave up, though, when actors kept quitting left and right and no matter what I did, they KEPT quitting. It got annoying after a while, and playing sandbox all the time became boring. (If this were The Sims, I wouldn't have been surprised if someone cooked up a mod for quitting.)

I had been hoping that we'd get a Sims 2 version of Sims 1's Superstar, and it would have several of The Movies' features, but alas ... didn't happen. (For those who have no idea about this game ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTIES4BLOSs)

Anyway, I'd give Paralives a try when it comes out on Steam. If I get a month's entertainment out of it for ten bucks (of COURSE I'd wait for a sale!), it would not be wasted money.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#41 Old 21st Jul 2019 at 7:56 PM
Hey girlie. How's tricks?

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Theorist
#42 Old 21st Jul 2019 at 8:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
I may sound a bit biased here over preferences, but if truth be told the developers or engineers sometime can be hand and hand on a project.
I think what is needed is to ask the question within the Sims community of players what did we like or did not like about Sims 1, 2, 3, 4 producing a game and actually playing the game is a different ballgame. Question need to be ask among people who is still playing Sims 2 after 10 years or more, question like WHY?

It's been asked and it doesn't work and the reason is because you ask a hundred different people and you'll get a hundred different answers.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#43 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 12:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Misty_2004
It's been asked and it doesn't work and the reason is because you ask a hundred different people and you'll get a hundred different answers.

Yes so true agree, but what need to be ask is what make the Sims 2 game still awesome to play? And why are die hard Sims 2 players still playing that version.
All those there are other versions like 3 & 4 I only mention this because there is always a reasons. There may be different answers when ask yes, some may like open world or may not find it good to have a neighborhood of Sims aging all at once. Some may like the graphics better in Sims 4 or even how they look or the little things that was added. There are many do's and don'ts
The cost of the game when it come to your pocket to continue to add more EPs or stuff pack with newer versions. I remember Sims 2 being very affordable, but nothing stay the same.

Undead Molten Llama
#44 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 12:54 AM
Short answer: EA (and other large game publishers; it's not JUST EA) is not interested in what people who want to cling to the old think.

Longer answer: Generally speaking, PC gaming is on its way out, at least for the mass market. (There will, of course, always be a group of people who will tenaciously cling to older things, as we here cling to TS2, but they are a niche market, and large corporations do not generally cater to niche markets. That is more the domain of smaller/indie outfits.) The trend is toward mobile gaming, stuff that people can play on tablets and phones instead of only on a computer in their home or a clunky laptop that they have to lug around. Mobile games are big money-makers because of microtransactions. They reel you in with a free/cheap game, you play it and get hooked, and then you find that you can go no farther with it until you cough up some cash. Even if there is a PC version of such a game, it will still involve stripped-down play that will nickel-and-dime you with microtransactions and "game packs." Witness: TS4. That's how things are going to be. The "game packs" might get cheaper than TS4's, but I would lay odd that that's going to be the general model going forward. Why? Because game publishers make more money this way than they do by selling a game for a chunk of cash and then possibly seeing no more money from it after that. They're going to go where the money is, and it's the publishers, not necessarily the developers, that call the shots here. (Remember: EA is a both a developer AND a publisher, but it's always the publishing "arm" that makes the financial decisions, including what games to develop and how to develop them, not the "development" arm.) So, I highly doubt that you will ever see a game as elaborate as TS2/TS3 again unless/until mobile technology is at a point where it could run such a thing. And even then, it'll be riddled with microtransactions and it won't be the same.

So really, if you care about TS2's style of play, then your best bet is to support small, independent developers like the person behind this game, people who do this sort of thing more as a labor of love than as a "what's going to make me the most money" thing. Competition may or may not wake up the large developers but either way, you might get a game that's much more to your tastes out of it.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Instructor
#45 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 1:05 AM
There's a lot of those sort on Patreon. And not everyone has a fancy-ass phone.
Undead Molten Llama
#46 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 1:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MattGo74
There's a lot of those sort on Patreon. And not everyone has a fancy-ass phone.

I don't. The only cell phones I have at all live in the glove compartments of my vehicles, for emergencies. And they ain't smartphones. I hate phones, personally, regardless of type. I do have a tablet, but I don't play games on it, aside from, like, Sudoku when I'm sitting waiting in a doctor's office or something. Nevertheless, there are probably more people who do have a smartphone nowadays than don't. So, the market is what it is.

Mad Poster
#47 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 2:17 AM
My cell phone is old, like really old (in today's standard, anyway - I've had it for roughly 8 years). It doesn't have internet (or it technically can have internet, I've just never connected it). Playing games on it? Even the pre-installed ones are awful quality, so I don't see the point. It would probably crash and die if I so much as tried to open the Candy Crush loading screen on it. but I don't mind. It's a hardy little thing (it's met the floor or asphalt 20+ times, has a few minor scratches but that's it, and battery time is getting low but not too bad), I only use the basics anyway, like calling/texting/alarms and such. Any internet and gaming is done on my larger gadgets, and my addiction to those is already bad enough, so having a phone with internet access would probably keep me permanently occupied with a screen. I actually appreciate having some screen-free time while I'm out and about, while still being able to call/text if need be. The only thing I sometimes miss is a proper camera (it has a camera, but it s*cks - it's just a few steps up from the first camera phones so everything is rather grainy). I do have an old "pro" camera, though (but I don't carry it around much). It is getting slower and sometimes a bit less reliable (sometimes needs a restart - but it can still be fixed by "turning it off and turning it on again" which surprisingly still works on a lot of gadgets when they do a dumb), but until it stops working I'm not interested in getting a new one, because I like this one for what it is (a technological timeout ).

I keep telling people it's a "half-smart" phone
(I used to have a couple really dumb ones before I had this one )
Instructor
#48 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 3:16 AM
Same way with phones. My old cell died, which I pretty much never used and was replaced with a tracfone (cellphones for poor people) smartphone. While I had no computer (It's complicated - week and a half from dead to new partly due to Best Buy how they are) I could only get on with it and it didn't know how to do half what I did on a desktop. Never figured it out. Read like 8 e books on my Nook.
I have $35 worth I sponsor on Patreon - all are adult games though. One has not updated since December so I could soon switch it from $5 sponsor to watch and go to $5 sponsor on this project. As long as it won't stay cartoonish, will get better and won't infringe on EA's copyright to get removed. The not updated one did suspend payment, but 7 months is long.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#49 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 3:56 AM Last edited by Simonut : 23rd Jul 2019 at 2:58 AM.
If you walk into any electronics stores for Computers desk top or laptop or tablet it will Not become obsolete they are selling computer with high amount of rams and better build and super hardware. You also have people privately or in the store that build computer from the bottom up. ( I have a custom made computer ) I don't think Mac or Window will stop producing computer there is a market out there. People are willing to pay for what they want for regular use or for gaming. Everyone do Not just want to play a game on a mobile phone. Most would want a screen with a large size to see and play.

Just as they are making larger TV bigger and bigger some people will use that for games. I don't play games on a phone except maybe a card game once in a blue mood, and sorry the same game look better on a larger screen computer. People I think will have a choice computer or mobile phone for game play, my bet is on computer that will even take us beyond HD but maybe up to 4K resolution as they are now presently doing with TV at this moment they are also working on 8K. Also you are lucky if a mobile phone last a few years they are always pushing for you to buy the next, as with computer. A well build computer with all the right stuff will last for years my custom build computer was made in 2011 and over the years I did a few changes to upgrade to even better hardware. And even before the upgrade it never gave me any problems.

Undead Molten Llama
#50 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 4:43 AM
I'm not really disputing what you're saying. As I said, yes, there will always be a market for games in a PC format. There will always be diehards and of course there will always be PC computers (of some kind) because gaming is not all that PCs are used for. It's not even MOSTLY what PCs are used for. But for gaming specifically...Well, since I tend to invest in tech/gaming companies (I hold a chunk of EA stock, for instance), so I kinda pay attention to this stuff. And for the past....Eh, let's call it 5 years, mobile gaming's market has increased dramatically while both PC and console gaming has remained stagnant (PC) or has shrunk (console). At this very moment, mobile gaming appears to be hurting console gaming more than it is hurting PC gaming, but that will likely change relatively soon, so that it is hurting both more equally. What this means is that, if the current trend continues (and there's no guarantee that it will, of course, but it likely will, given how technology is developing and what companies have in development in their hoppers), the market for mobile gaming will quite soon (in the grand scheme of things, not like next week or something ) be larger, possible, than the market for PC and console gaming combined. Companies -- particularly large corporations -- are going to follow and cater to the large/expanding market, not the stagnant/shrinking one, and they're going to do it in the way that will make them the most money.

As I said, large corporations like EA do not cater to diehards and niche markets. This is not an indictment of them, per se. In fact, it's a good thing because it leaves a market for smaller and more customer-oriented companies/individuals to step into the holes they leave behind. So as I said, going forward you will most likely need to look to smaller/independent developers if you want a complex life simulator that doesn't offer you a bare-bones base and then pound you with microtransactions. This Paralives may be exactly that; it remains to be seen as the game is developed farther and assuming that it makes it to release, of course.

In the end, I highly, highly doubt that EA will ever produce a game that TS2 diehards are going to like. That'll be up to the indies, I think, and that market's wide open. And that is, frankly, what you should support if you want the kind of a game that a TS2 diehard generally wants.

Page 2 of 7