Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jul 2019 at 2:06 AM
Default Please help me understand XML!
I am trying to learn how to mod, but have been struggling for months with the XML files and tdescs. I have the tdesc browser and have read every forum post and tutorial I could find, but I feel like they all assume a level of knowledge that I'm nowhere close to. I don't know what the tdescs are actually referring to, and there seems to be a lot of TS4-specific terminology, which makes it really hard to google. What am I missing? Do I need to know more about XML itself, or more about how TS4 works - and if so, are there any tutorials written for babies like me?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 14th Jul 2019 at 3:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lucrass
I am trying to learn how to mod, but have been struggling for months with the XML files and tdescs. I have the tdesc browser and have read every forum post and tutorial I could find, but I feel like they all assume a level of knowledge that I'm nowhere close to. I don't know what the tdescs are actually referring to, and there seems to be a lot of TS4-specific terminology, which makes it really hard to google. What am I missing? Do I need to know more about XML itself, or more about how TS4 works - and if so, are there any tutorials written for babies like me?

Forget about learning xml itself, it is how you see it. You need to know more about how TS4 works and a little of termology but you will be used to it time to time, see the structure of the xml files of the game with a program like sims4studio. I learnt to read it by myself without any tutorial because there isn't exactly a specify steps to do a mod, because it depends on what you want to do. With tdescs will be easier to guess what the tunning files do (this is like a dictionary). So you can start by exploring the xml files first, using tdescs as guide and try to read them, try to start by making a simple mod like tweaking something you want.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 3:03 PM
I agree with Itsmysimmod. Do you want to write mods for the Sims 4 only (as a start) ? Then look at other mods, find out what makes them tick. Download the Sims4Studio, extract all the files, download some xml-mods and compare the modded files to the original ones. I started by doing just that. The good thing about coding and programming is: It is incredibly logical. So, don't get lost in trying to find out how it's all called. It's irrelevant if you know or not how to write your own xml-files, xml-mods only chance or add a few lines and disable some enabled commands and vice versa.

The Sims4Studio and Notepad ++ also show you if there are any erros so, I highly suggest that you download them both while you're figuring out how to make your own mods
Test Subject
#4 Old 19th Aug 2019 at 12:52 AM
When you're trying to make a trait, can you just use a random number? Or do the TS4 tdescs each have a specific reference number?
Test Subject
#5 Old 30th Aug 2019 at 9:05 AM
If you're new to creating mods or coding, then I'd suggest downloading the Sims 4 Mod Constructor V4.
Link: https://zerbu.tumblr.com/post/18178...-constructor-v4
It's the easiest way to make a simple trait, and it walks you through it. I'm also more than happy to help you with it as well!