MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Regul Save Cleaner

by Onebeld Posted 11th Feb 2021 at 3:38 PM - Updated 11th Jan 2022 at 5:28 PM by Onebeld : New version
137 Comments / replies (Who?) - 10 Feedback Posts, 3 Thanks Posts
[11-01-2022] Update to 2.3.0 Thanks to .NET 6 and AvaloniaUI, I made a version for macOS! This is currently an experimental version, as the program and its S3PI library will work with The Sims 3 1.70 64-bit files for the first time. Unfortunately, I don't have copies of this game to test it, and the virtual machine is very slow. Please let me know if the program works on this OS! I've taken all points into account here (for example, WorldCaches won't be cleaned), so everything should be safe. MUST make copies of your saves! (Ignore the exe file, run the one without the extension, it will have a terminal icon)
  • Since the first patron appeared, the About window has been changed, check this
  • Now you can set the cache cleanup (there will be a gear button next to the cache cleanup setting)
  • If the name of your save begins, say, with the letter S, and the city you visited begins with E, the portrait of the current family will not appear in the program. Here I have improved the algorithm and now it should find this family portrait anyway
  • Now you can create a backup without clearing, a new button has been added, and the path to save the backup is saved the next time you run the program
  • Slightly changed the location of the buttons in the main window to make it a little more beautiful

Regul Save Cleaner - program for cleaning save game The Sims 3. This program is a module for this project - Regul. When translating the S3PI library to .NET 5, I tested it with this tool. To avoid downloading Regul, I posted this program separately. Also, this program is being developed separately from Regul, so some features may not be added.

At Annie280's request, I have created documentation for creating my theme on GitHub.

Be sure to back up your save!

Why do we need another save cleaner?
  • Here you can choose what you want to clear. It identifies not only by type, but also by resource group. Your photos can be safe.
  • It is currently the fastest save cleaner. Compared to Kuree, the difference is more than 18 seconds on my computer.
  • Quite nice interface with support for localization and themes.

Supported localizations:


Requirements for net461 (For those who don't want to install anything extra):
  • OS Windows 7 SP1 or higher
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1

Requirements for net6:
Instructions:


What does each checkbox do?


Any ideas, all your problems, as well as help with translation are also welcome, just email me!

Previous versions:


Additional Credits:
S3PI (Peter L Jones)
Exotic language font
Microsoft Visual Studio 2022
JetBrains Rider 2021.1
AvaloniaUI
Tags: #savecleaner, #regul, #cleaner, #save

Operating System: Windows
Utility Type: Save Editors
Plugin Type: Not Applicable

You must have the expansion or stuff packs listed below installed to use this custom content. Please see the post text for any exceptions.

Sims 3
Key: - File was updated after upload was posted
Filename - Tip: You can click the magnifying glass to see the archive contents Size Downloads Date
RegulSaveCleaner v2.3.0-win-net6.zip

Size: 15.99 MB · Downloads: 3,094 · 11th Jan 2022
15.99 MB 3,094 11th Jan 2022
RegulSaveCleaner v2.3.0-macOS-net6.zip

Size: 10.02 MB · Downloads: 5 · 11th Jan 2022
10.02 MB 5 11th Jan 2022
RegulSaveCleaner v2.3.0-win-net461.zip

Size: 12.03 MB · Downloads: 648 · 11th Jan 2022
12.03 MB 648 11th Jan 2022
RegulSaveCleaner v1.4.1.zip

Size: 9.33 MB · Downloads: 452 · 27th Mar 2021
9.33 MB 452 27th Mar 2021
Don't forget to Thank the creator after downloading! Use the Thanks button located above the screenshots above.
Quick Guide:

1. Click the file listed on the Files tab to download the file to your computer.
2. Extract the zip, rar, or 7z file. Now you will have either a .package or a .sims3pack file.

For Package files:

1. Cut and paste the file into your Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages folder. If you do not already have this folder, you should read the full guide to Package files first: Sims 3:Installing Package Fileswiki, so you can make sure your game is fully patched and you have the correct Resource.cfg file.
2. Run the game, and find your content where the creator said it would be (build mode, buy mode, Create-a-Sim, etc.).

For Sims3Pack files:

1. Cut and paste it into your Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Downloads folder. If you do not have this folder yet, it is recommended that you open the game and then close it again so that this folder will be automatically created. Then you can place the .sims3pack into your Downloads folder.
2. Load the game's Launcher, and click on the Downloads tab. Find the item in the list and tick the box beside it. Then press the Install button below the list.
3. Wait for the installer to load, and it will install the content to the game. You will get a message letting you know when it's done.
4. Run the game, and find your content where the creator said it would be (build mode, buy mode, Create-a-Sim, etc.).


Extracting from RAR, ZIP, or 7z: You will need a special program for this. For Windows, we recommend 7-Zip and for Mac OSX, we recommend Keka. Both are free and safe to use.


Need more help?

If you need more info, see:
 
137 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 113 Feedback Posts, 22 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 6 of 6
Test Subject
Original Poster
#126 Old 17th Nov 2021 at 4:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime_Boom
Okay so i tested the newest save cleaner .net5 version with all my store content re-installed again first time using it it cleared what it was ment to with the chache files and the launcher was still reading the installed content. Second time i tried again this time the save cleaner deleted the files "nav.bin" ,"wl.bin" and "platform.bin", I re-opened the launcher and all my store content was missing after these three files were deleted. Hope this help!

EDIT: anything deleted in the sigschache file un-installs store content in the launcher if deleted can confirm I placed my backup folder over the one that has been cleaned and the issue is fixed.


Very interesting. Such files are deleted only in the Downloads and SigsCache folders. The last thing I wanted to ask: did this problem exist before (in the previous version/in the net461 version)?
Test Subject
#127 Old 18th Nov 2021 at 4:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebeld
Very interesting. Such files are deleted only in the Downloads and SigsCache folders. The last thing I wanted to ask: did this problem exist before (in the previous version/in the net461 version)?



I only starting having this issue with the latest version of the save cleaner .net5 version.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#128 Old 19th Nov 2021 at 6:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime_Boom
I only starting having this issue with the latest version of the save cleaner .net5 version.


Okay, I'll try to make it so that these files are not deleted. I'll also try updating to net6, I just updated all my tools to work with that.
Test Subject
#129 Old 20th Nov 2021 at 5:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebeld
Okay, I'll try to make it so that these files are not deleted. I'll also try updating to net6, I just updated all my tools to work with that.


I did find a kind of work aroud, when the files are deleted it still un-installs the content but on rare occasions openeing and closing the launcher several times the game picks up the installed content again sometimes. This is pretty rare however and can take several tries from my tests.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#130 Old 19th Dec 2021 at 10:03 PM
Please do not give up. This is the best thing that happend to Sims 3 in years. Luv
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#131 Old 22nd Dec 2021 at 3:32 AM
Thanks for the update!
Lab Assistant
#132 Old 30th Dec 2021 at 6:24 PM
Using the 2.2.0-net6 version, when I enable "Remove Family Portraits", it always removes the portrait that shows up in the list of saves for my current family.

Is this the intended behavior? The description on the help text when I hover the mouse over that option specifically says that it does not remove the family portrait for the current family.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#133 Old 31st Dec 2021 at 6:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyRufus
Using the 2.2.0-net6 version, when I enable "Remove Family Portraits", it always removes the portrait that shows up in the list of saves for my current family.

Is this the intended behavior? The description on the help text when I hover the mouse over that option specifically says that it does not remove the family portrait for the current family.


At the moment, yes. Identifying the current family portrait doesn't work very well - it doesn't always show up in the program and is accidentally deleted. I plan to change that, if it is possible, of course.
Alchemist
#134 Old 1st Jan 2022 at 1:07 AM
I'm experiencing a problem with this. .NET6 version, Windows 10, ticked all cleanup boxes except "Removing textures (experimental)", "Remove other types (experimental)", "Clear cache" and "Create backup".

I cleaned a save using this and it won't let me enter Edit Town mode. The game just hangs indefinitely — doesn't freeze (the game's "loading" screen wheel (not the mouse cursor) keeps spinning), doesn't crash to desktop, and Task Manager shows the memory TS3 occupies fluctuating, so the game isn't stuck at a certain threshold either.
I know it's not a problem with the save itself because I used an uncleaned copy of the same save and the game entered Edit Town mode just fine in <1 second.

No clue what happened that caused this issue.

Tumblr - more downloads! | CC reuploads / creator backups | TS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#135 Old 1st Jan 2022 at 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdevil
I'm experiencing a problem with this. .NET6 version, Windows 10, ticked all cleanup boxes except "Removing textures (experimental)", "Remove other types (experimental)", "Clear cache" and "Create backup".

I cleaned a save using this and it won't let me enter Edit Town mode. The game just hangs indefinitely — doesn't freeze (the game's "loading" screen wheel (not the mouse cursor) keeps spinning), doesn't crash to desktop, and Task Manager shows the memory TS3 occupies fluctuating, so the game isn't stuck at a certain threshold either.
I know it's not a problem with the save itself because I used an uncleaned copy of the same save and the game entered Edit Town mode just fine in <1 second.

No clue what happened that caused this issue.


I literally just checked it out. It really takes a long time to load the city editor, but then it still loaded. I also did a test - run without cleaning, but with compression (which explains why without the checkboxes still slightly reduced save). Without cleaning with compression in the city editor goes without loading. Most likely the game is generating character portraits at this time, so you have to wait (and it's pretty slow until all ~60 sims have their portraits loaded).
Alchemist
#136 Old 1st Jan 2022 at 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebeld
I literally just checked it out. It really takes a long time to load the city editor, but then it still loaded. I also did a test - run without cleaning, but with compression (which explains why without the checkboxes still slightly reduced save). Without cleaning with compression in the city editor goes without loading. Most likely the game is generating character portraits at this time, so you have to wait (and it's pretty slow until all ~60 sims have their portraits loaded).

Thanks for testing this! I gave it another try and entered Edit Town mode after the game finished generating panel portraits for my active household. I let it process and the ET loading screen went away after about 5 minutes, but I was able to use ET mode normally after that.

One question: does this part:
Quote:
Deleting character portraits - removes portraits that are displayed in the relationship panel, in the CAS, when choosing clothes and in the panel of the selected active character
Types: 0x0580A2CE, 0x0580A2CD, 0x0580A2CF

also apply to deceased sims that are no longer being played, don't have urns/tombstones in the world, but still appear in family trees? And are those generated again?
I'm curious about this aspect since my current save is about 60 sim weeks old and there are quite a lot of deceased sims whose tombstones I removed, so they're not resurrectable anymore.

Tumblr - more downloads! | CC reuploads / creator backups | TS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#137 Old 1st Jan 2022 at 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdevil
Thanks for testing this! I gave it another try and entered Edit Town mode after the game finished generating panel portraits for my active household. I let it process and the ET loading screen went away after about 5 minutes, but I was able to use ET mode normally after that.

One question: does this part:

also apply to deceased sims that are no longer being played, don't have urns/tombstones in the world, but still appear in family trees? And are those generated again?
I'm curious about this aspect since my current save is about 60 sim weeks old and there are quite a lot of deceased sims whose tombstones I removed, so they're not resurrectable anymore.


Very interesting. The program removes absolutely all portraits. I assume that they are then re-created for deceased Sims without tombstones. Otherwise, how could genetics be passed on? A perfect example: let's say a green-haired girl takes in her adopted daughter. That daughter gets married and might have a child with green hair. In Sims 2 the Sims genetics are saved to the Sims, but in Sims 3 the genetics are taken from their parents and grandparents.

And if they didn't really exist, they wouldn't appear in the genealogical tree either.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#138 Old 1st Jan 2022 at 5:53 PM
Thank you for this tool! I hope you could create another easy CAS part editor like Kuree's Easy CASP in the future.
Page 6 of 6