Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!

Servo from The Sims 2

by Esmeralda Posted 21st Feb 2010 at 9:19 PM - Updated 6th Feb 2015 at 10:55 AM by Esmeralda : Some changes to text
 
252 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 212 Feedback Posts, 32 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 11
Mad Poster
#26 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 12:28 AM
wtf? why isn't this featured? truely baffling.

This is some truely AMAZING work. I appreciate all the time, effort and frustration you put into making this. I agree with someone above who said this has to be one of the greatest creations on the site. Excellent job, I can't thank you enough!

Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the ingame maids with these servos? I don't know much about modding so forgive me if I sound ingnorant, just wodering
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#27 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 12:35 AM Last edited by EsmeraldaF : 22nd Feb 2010 at 10:24 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCat007
I mean they do not bend when he uses something, look at a screenshot where he cleans a toilet. If you'll cut them off, there will be normal sim hands visible at the end of the sleeves. Then you can put gloves on them (from accessories page) and they will look right and bend normally. Hope this is more clear :P


If I cut his hands off, there will be NO hands at the ends of the sleeves! A body mesh includes body, hands, neck, everything except head and feet (although I left the shoes attached in this case), and they all have to have their bones assigned to relevant joints. If you cut a part of the body off, it doesn't make the part that's been cut off bend normally, because it won't be there and so there will be no joint assignments! (And I suspect that may also crash your game, although I haven't tried it!)

There isn't a joint assignment that enables a sim to bend its hand, at least not in Milkshape which is the program used for meshing The Sims. You assign the whole hand to 'Hand' and then you can map each finger separately, but when I tried to map this body's fingers separately, the hand/finger animations looked terrible in-game, hence in the end I had to assign it all to 'Hand' and therefore the fingers don't bend. There are a couple of parts of the body I had to assign less than ideally, as they looked bad in motion otherwise, so a few compromises had to be made to get this to work. I'm actually surprised it came out as well as it did.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 12:38 AM
Holy wowwww...this hurts my brain, the amount of work you must have put into this...

Most excellent!!
Test Subject
#29 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 12:39 AM
I can not tell you how thankfull I am for this. I have ben waiting for this for a LONG long time. If only it was an item instead of an actual sim though. :\
Ms. Byte
#30 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 12:49 AM
A beautiful job - really amazing work and I shudder to think of the amount of time and effort you must have put into this.
Test Subject
#31 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 12:50 AM
You are amazing! I was just saying that I missed my servo from the last game.
Instructor
#32 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 1:04 AM
What will happen if a female "servo" gets pregnant. Is the robot mesh enabled for pregnancy?
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 1:11 AM
Omg This Is Awesome Thank You
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#34 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 1:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simtastic2
What will happen if a female "servo" gets pregnant. Is the robot mesh enabled for pregnancy?


It's not, as I hadn't envisioned the idea of robots getting pregnant! I don't know for sure what would happen, I haven't played a pregnancy in TS3, but if it's the same as TS2 where the game replaces the normal body with a default pregnant mesh, the servo will become a pregnant human body for the duration, I guess! (With blue skin, which is what I set the underlying skin to.)
Scholar
#35 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 2:25 AM
Wow, this is outstanding! When I first saw this I literally said out loud, "Wow, that is soo cool!" . Haha, this is just great!

Thank you
Field Researcher
#36 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 3:20 AM
So is it a full outfit or a top and a bottom? Could I have a normal human with robot legs or a robot with human legs?

Human beings are a very irrational species. Some of them are even afraid of pickles.
Inventor
#37 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 3:35 AM
Ahahahaha awesome! I LOVED Servo! It's great to see him again! Great work :D
Theorist
#38 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 4:09 AM
Oh I love you so much right now!!!

I probably would have given it the Hydrophobic trait though!

Hi I'm Paul!
Test Subject
#39 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 4:37 AM
OMG, I use servos regulary in my sims 2 legacy, now i can completely bring back my core 4 sims back to sims 3, thanks!!
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 5:18 AM
This is amazing! Thanks a lot! Wouldn't it be awesome if there were NPCs with this outfit that acted like Servo too? XD

My experimental TS3 Tumblr: Aeschere - Sims³
Test Subject
#41 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 5:58 AM
I don't have a saved Sims folder in Documents -Electronic Arts The Sims. What do I do?
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 6:36 AM
how sweet! Yessss, HAS to be featured!!!

Hoffnung ist nicht die Gewissheit dass etwas gut ausgeht, sondern dass es Sinn macht, egal wie es ausgeht. (W.Havel)
- I try to translate - who finds errors can keep them ;-) :
"Hope is not being sure for a good end, but that it has sense, whatever comes."
Pic by ebekastein @ yahoo.co.uk
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 6:38 AM
Perfect! Wow, wow, wow. I am speechless. Thanky you very much for converting and sharing. Luv it.
Scholar
#44 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 9:16 AM
Goodness Grief I love servo to death. it's perfect and you put your soul into this and a big round of applause for base1980 as well
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#45 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 9:57 AM Last edited by EsmeraldaF : 22nd Feb 2010 at 10:08 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoden
So is it a full outfit or a top and a bottom? Could I have a normal human with robot legs or a robot with human legs?


As I already stated in the Overview page, it is a full outfit, found under the Full Outfits category in CAS.

If you want a horrible human-robot hybrid, all you can do is give it a human head and robot body, or a robot head and human body! (But the head-to-neck attachment may have gaps in that case.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robodl95
I probably would have given it the Hydrophobic trait though!


You can *change* any trait you want to. Just not the 'Never Nude' one, though, if you don't want a horrible sight every time he bathes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoggerBut
I don't have a saved Sims folder in Documents -Electronic Arts The Sims. What do I do?


If you don't already have one, then you just make one. In the above-mentioned The Sims 3 folder in your documents folder, create a folder called SavedSims (no space between Saved and Sims) and put the .sim file in there.


To everyone else: Thank you for your thanks and comments, it's very appreciated - this was a real labour of love and so hard to get working, hope you have fun with it!
Field Researcher
#46 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 10:25 AM
Sorry. I must've skipped that line.

Human beings are a very irrational species. Some of them are even afraid of pickles.
Field Researcher
#47 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsmeraldaF
If I cut his hands off, there will be NO hands at the ends of the sleeves! A body mesh includes body, hands, neck, everything except head and feet (although I left the shoes attached in this case), and they all have to have their bones assigned to relevant joints. If you cut a part of the body off, it doesn't make the part that's been cut off bend normally, because it won't be there and so there will be no joint assignments! (And I suspect that may also crash your game, although I haven't tried it!)

There isn't a joint assignment that enables a sim to bend its hand, at least not in Milkshape which is the program used for meshing The Sims. You assign the whole hand to 'Hand' and then you can map each finger separately, but when I tried to map this body's fingers separately, the hand/finger animations looked terrible in-game, hence in the end I had to assign it all to 'Hand' and therefore the fingers don't bend. There are a couple of parts of the body I had to assign less than ideally, as they looked bad in motion otherwise, so a few compromises had to be made to get this to work. I'm actually surprised it came out as well as it did.


Wow, this is totally over my head. Thank you for all this hard job! The servo still looks amazing and its great to play with it in game! If anything else, his palms do look more robotic this way and I can pretend he has a special magnets installed to help him grab things :p

By the way, you are futured on My Sims 3 Blog and SimPrograms. Congratulations!
Forum Resident
#48 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 11:45 AM
WOW Esmeralda this is my fav download from you and no1 from ts3 downloads! awesome idea and love idea about changing colors! thank you so much for all the hard work!you are the best
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 12:20 PM
This is great, thanks a lot.
I remember sending my sims to that "robot table" all day back in TS2. =) Finally he mastered the skill and DUN DUN Servo!!!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#50 Old 22nd Feb 2010 at 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCat007
Wow, this is totally over my head. Thank you for all this hard job! The servo still looks amazing and its great to play with it in game! If anything else, his palms do look more robotic this way and I can pretend he has a special magnets installed to help him grab things :p

By the way, you are futured on My Sims 3 Blog and SimPrograms. Congratulations!


Thanks! Yes, I think stiff little metal robot hands look more authentic than fully-flexing human looking ones anyway. I knew about the My Sims 3 Blog feature but not the Simsprograms one, thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tish85
WOW Esmeralda this is my fav download from you and no1 from ts3 downloads! awesome idea and love idea about changing colors! thank you so much for all the hard work!you are the best


Thank you! I haven't seen any new stuff by you for a while, hope to see something new soon as I love your unusual creations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsin
This is great, thanks a lot.
I remember sending my sims to that "robot table" all day back in TS2. =) Finally he mastered the skill and DUN DUN Servo!!!


Ha ha, yes, in TS2 my sim-self was fully skilled in robot-making and she enjoyed making a few of these beauties!
Page 2 of 11