MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

'Thornewood' Four bedroom Craftsman home

by calisims Posted 31st Aug 2009 at 1:21 AM - Updated 31st Aug 2009 at 4:57 PM by calisims : add link to related house
11 Comments / replies (Who?) - 11 Feedback Posts
Picked Upload! This is a picked upload! It showcases some of the best talent and creativity available on MTS and in the community.


Thornewood is the third and last in a series of houses I built to replace the condo style buildings in Sunset Valley. They can of course be placed anywhere you want in your neighborhood, but they are made to match and designed around the small community lot park that is behind them. (The park is a community pool in the original Sunset Valley. I have no use for more than one community pool in a neighborhood, so replaced it with a park and built family houses around it.)
The first two houses in the series are 'Rose Red Cottage ' and 'Briar Rose '

Thornewood is a four bedroom, 3.5 bath Craftsman style house with open plan kitchen/dining and living room, a covered porch that wraps around from the front to the left side of the house, and another covered porch in back.

First floor has two small bedrooms, one full bath and one half bath. The smaller of the bedrooms is just large enough for a single bed, the larger one is furnished with two singles. The larger also has a door leading out to the rear porch.

Second floor features a large master bedroom with en suite bath, and a small bedroom furnished as a nursery, just large enough to hold a single bed when you no longer need a crib, and another full bathroom. There is a large loft area that I've furnished as a studio/play area, with computer desk, easel, bookcase, toy chest, peg box and blocks table. Since the nursery is so small, I thought this was a good place for a toddler to play. The loft could be closed off to make another bedroom if needed.

Large yard has a driveway for two cars, and plenty of space in back for a vegetable garden or a pool.

Custom Content not included:

by Jane Samborski
Bull nosed Dado wall

By Plum:
Stucco and Discrete Concrete
TS2 Conversion patterns 2
Natural Pine and It's Plushie carpet
TS2 conversion patterns

by Srikandi:
Plain Mission Kitchen

by Corrie:
A Rose is Red pattern
8 new patterns

by Sunken-Woglinde:
'Cause I'm Awesome' and 'Omigosh' (modern frames)
Painting Extravaganza

From the EA store:
Some doors from the 'Hewsnman' set:
Private Study Arch
The Shhh....It's a library door
Not so private study door
Private Study Door

Lot size: 30x40
Furnished: 65,911
Unfurnished: 49,128

Here's a pic of the three houses in this series together:



Lot Size: 3x4
Lot Price: 65,911
Tags: #Craftsman, #cottage, #red

Number of bedrooms: 4 Bedrooms
Custom Content Included: None
Furnishings: Fully Furnished
Special Flags: Not Applicable

You must have the expansion or stuff packs listed below installed to use this custom content. Please see the post text for any exceptions.

Sims 3
Key: - File was updated after upload was posted
Filename - Tip: You can click the magnifying glass to see the archive contents Size Downloads Date
Thornewood.zip

Size: 3.66 MB · Downloads: 4,405 · 31st Aug 2009
3.66 MB 4,405 31st Aug 2009
Don't forget to Thank the creator after downloading! Use the Thanks button located above the screenshots above.
Quick Guide:

1. Click the file listed on the Files tab to download the file to your computer.
2. Extract the zip, rar, or 7z file.
2. Select the .sims3pack file you got from extracting.
3. Cut and paste it into your Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Downloads folder. If you do not have this folder yet, it is recommended that you open the game and then close it again so that this folder will be automatically created. Then you can place the .sims3pack into your Downloads folder.
5. Load the game's Launcher, and click on the Downloads tab. Select the house icon, find the lot in the list, and tick the box next to it. Then press the Install button below the list.
6. Wait for the installer to load, and it will install the lot to the game. You will get a message letting you know when it's done.
7. Run the game, and find your lot in Edit Town, in the premade lots bin.

Extracting from RAR, ZIP, or 7z: You will need a special program for this. For Windows, we recommend 7-Zip and for Mac OSX, we recommend Keka. Both are free and safe to use.


Need more help?

If you need more info, see Game Help:Installing TS3 Packswiki for a full, detailed step-by-step guide!
 
11 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 10 Feedback Posts
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 31st Aug 2009 at 5:31 PM
Very cute! I like it! Keep up the good work!
Test Subject
#3 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 5:50 AM
This is literally my DREAM HOUSE, down to a T! O_O Beautiful, I adore it!
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 4th Sep 2009 at 12:09 AM
This is very high quality stuff, thank you for uploading!
Field Researcher
#5 Old 11th Sep 2009 at 9:52 AM
Absolutely gorgeous! Very different than the sorts of houses I usually go for, but it's so well-done that I cannot resist. Thank you so much!
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 14th Sep 2009 at 9:40 AM
Vrey well done! Thanks for sharing!
Banned
#7 Old 7th Nov 2009 at 4:54 AM
I have been playing a sim family in this home after one of my simmies was moved into the home by Twallen's story progression. I have made a number of changes:

1. None of the kitchen counters show up in the installed version. A counter and sink, however are floating on the edge of the lot, about 1 story in the air. This just confirms that the moderators never actually look at things in game.

2. I moved the door from the kitchen to the back hall one square using the moveObjects cheat. This allows me to put the counters and cabinets (and the refrigerator) along the wall next to the stairs.

3. I walled in the dining room and put arches leading to both the kitchen and living room. That way, the failure to clean up dishes in the dining room or a dirty counter in the kitchen does not ruin the mood for sims in other rooms.

4. The smaller bathroom on the ground floor was turned into a laundry room. (Yes, more decoration than function.) Having two bathroom next to each other just looked dumb.

5. The master bathroom was reduced to a 2x3 room -- perhaps one of the most efficient arrangements for a bathroom. This not only enlarged the master bedroom, but gave it a more regular shape.

6. The open nursery area on the upstairs was walled in to create another large bedroom.

Take the comments for what they are worth. For me, this was minor surgery compared with what I do with most Mod the Sims homes -- which often are spectacularly defective. However, this home was pretty good overall.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Nov 2009 at 2:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjstreak
I have been playing a sim family in this home after one of my simmies was moved into the home by Twallen's story progression. I have made a number of changes:

1. None of the kitchen counters show up in the installed version. A counter and sink, however are floating on the edge of the lot, about 1 story in the air. This just confirms that the moderators never actually look at things in game.

2. I moved the door from the kitchen to the back hall one square using the moveObjects cheat. This allows me to put the counters and cabinets (and the refrigerator) along the wall next to the stairs.

3. I walled in the dining room and put arches leading to both the kitchen and living room. That way, the failure to clean up dishes in the dining room or a dirty counter in the kitchen does not ruin the mood for sims in other rooms.

4. The smaller bathroom on the ground floor was turned into a laundry room. (Yes, more decoration than function.) Having two bathroom next to each other just looked dumb.

5. The master bathroom was reduced to a 2x3 room -- perhaps one of the most efficient arrangements for a bathroom. This not only enlarged the master bedroom, but gave it a more regular shape.

6. The open nursery area on the upstairs was walled in to create another large bedroom.

Take the comments for what they are worth. For me, this was minor surgery compared with what I do with most Mod the Sims homes -- which often are spectacularly defective. However, this home was pretty good overall.


I don't know why the counters failed to show up in your game. I'm currently playing a family in this house and the counters are fine.
All the other changes you've made are to suit your taste and your playstyle. I build to suit my taste and my playstyle. It's fine with me that you want to make changes to what I've built and shared, but I'm not going to take your changes into consideration when I'm building houses for myself. Your choices are take what I've given and change whatever you don't like, or don't download at all.
I've seen you posting complaints about houses on this and other forums, I take it you just like to complain about something.
Test Subject
#9 Old 19th Dec 2009 at 9:33 PM
Hola, Calisims!

Firstly, this particular home is probably one of my favorites amongst several of my CC downloads. However, I unfortunately have the same issue as tjstreak.

I have only just noticed (after several play hours) that there is in fact a kitchen counter floating on the outskirts of this lot. That is the only issue I seem to be having with this home, as everything else loaded perfectly.

Would you happen to have any idea as to why this is happening? I've also noticed trees on the outskirts of other lots that I've downloaded. I am unable to remove the objects by way of 'move objects' or simply attempting to select them in buymode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st Dec 2009 at 1:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPhigirl
Hola, Calisims!

Firstly, this particular home is probably one of my favorites amongst several of my CC downloads. However, I unfortunately have the same issue as tjstreak.

I have only just noticed (after several play hours) that there is in fact a kitchen counter floating on the outskirts of this lot. That is the only issue I seem to be having with this home, as everything else loaded perfectly.

Would you happen to have any idea as to why this is happening? I've also noticed trees on the outskirts of other lots that I've downloaded. I am unable to remove the objects by way of 'move objects' or simply attempting to select them in buymode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!


I'm sorry, I really have no idea why a kitchen counter would be appearing outside the kitchen.
The counter is CC, so I suppose it is possible that it may conflict with another piece of CC that you have and I don't. At least, that kind of thing used to occur in Sims 1. I don't know enough about Sims 3 object creation to know what kind of object conflicts are possible, but it's the only explanation I can think of.
I played that lot very thoroughly in my game without having that issue.
Test Subject
#11 Old 21st Dec 2009 at 1:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisims
I'm sorry, I really have no idea why a kitchen counter would be appearing outside the kitchen.
The counter is CC, so I suppose it is possible that it may conflict with another piece of CC that you have and I don't. At least, that kind of thing used to occur in Sims 1. I don't know enough about Sims 3 object creation to know what kind of object conflicts are possible, but it's the only explanation I can think of.
I played that lot very thoroughly in my game without having that issue.


No worries, and, thank you for responding!

I went through my CC yesterday evening and basically deleted everything. Once I get back to testing which CC lots are glitching I'm sure I'll figure this out.

Happy Holidays, all!
Test Subject
#12 Old 8th Jan 2010 at 10:07 PM
Again, thanks for creating this series of houses! Very excited to see them in action!