MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Skylines Rentals (starter apartment)

by Flora2 Posted 10th Oct 2015 at 9:07 AM - Updated 1st Dec 2016 at 8:07 AM by Floraflora2 : EP requirements feedback
32 Comments / replies (Who?) - 12 Feedback Posts, 13 Thanks Posts
I've purchased the Cities: Skylines game at the latest sale, and of course I couldn't resist to recreate a building from that on my first day of gameplay. This small apartment lot reminded me of those cheap, rundown rentals that can be found in poor gangbanger outskirts of big cities, so I thought it would fit into my Los Santos neighborhood "nicely".



I changed the original model a little bit: I "rubbed its wallpaint down" to make it look more rundown and in need of renovation. Also, the rent is furnished only how one would expect a real-life apartment to be: fixtures only (few counters, fridge, stove, bathroom plumbings and fixtures), but no furniture or decorative items - that's why it is a starter lot. It means, when a sim moves in, he/she has to begin with a "renovation" (re-paint, re-wallpaper, etc.), real-life-likely. The rent has one bedroom and one bathroom only, so it's for a single sim or a starter couple.



The building has two rentable apartments only: the one on the second floor is for the active household, and the one on the third floor is for the NPC neighbors. I placed a table tennis set (University Life EP) on the third floor for a bit of socializing, and also a kung-fu training dummy (World Adventures EP) on the second floor, just in case - learning martial arts can be useful in this district.



PLAYTEST: It depends on your neighborhood how much time it takes for NPC neighbors to move in: the less number of apartment buildings you have in your 'hood, the faster they will move in. In big cities like Bridgeport, full of apartments, it might take a long time to see neighbors popping up. Also, I couldn't figure out why, but in some neighborhoods the Junk Pile at the back of the lot (Ambitions EP) takes a lot of time to become active (cannot be "Digged Through" at first).



WARNING: This is a Late Night EP type apartment. It means, the parcel on the Map must be zoned as Residential /Regular Lot - NOT Apartment Lot because that is for the University Life EP type of lots, and mixing the two types would lead to bugs, glitches, unwanted roommates all over your home.

No CC, no Stuff Packs, no Store items. Necessary EPs: World Adventures, Late Night, Ambitions, Generations, Seasons, Showtime, University Life, Island Paradise.
*Edit: User feedback: it works smoothly without Island Paradise, its few objects will be replaced by proxy ones.


Lot Size: 20x20
Lot Price (furnished): 8,703
Lot Price (unfurnished): 3,993

Additional Credits:
to Paradox Interactive for the exterior design of Cities Skylines buildings

Number of bedrooms: 1 Bedroom
Custom Content Included: None
Furnishings: Fixtures Only
Special Flags: Not Applicable

You must have the expansion, game version or stuff packs listed below installed to use this custom content. Please see the post text for any exceptions.

Sims 3 World Adventures Ambitions Late Night Generations Showtime Seasons University Life Island Paradise
Built with Game Version: 1.67.2
Key: - File was updated after upload was posted
Filename - Tip: You can click the magnifying glass to see the archive contents Size Downloads Date
Skylines Rentals.rar

Size: 2.35 MB · Downloads: 4,463 · 10th Oct 2015
2.35 MB 4,463 10th Oct 2015
Don't forget to Thank the creator after downloading! Use the Thanks button located above the screenshots above.
Quick Guide:

1. Click the file listed on the Files tab to download the file to your computer.
2. Extract the zip, rar, or 7z file.
2. Select the .sims3pack file you got from extracting.
3. Cut and paste it into your Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Downloads folder. If you do not have this folder yet, it is recommended that you open the game and then close it again so that this folder will be automatically created. Then you can place the .sims3pack into your Downloads folder.
5. Load the game's Launcher, and click on the Downloads tab. Select the house icon, find the lot in the list, and tick the box next to it. Then press the Install button below the list.
6. Wait for the installer to load, and it will install the lot to the game. You will get a message letting you know when it's done.
7. Run the game, and find your lot in Edit Town, in the premade lots bin.

Extracting from RAR, ZIP, or 7z: You will need a special program for this. For Windows, we recommend 7-Zip and for Mac OSX, we recommend Keka. Both are free and safe to use.


Need more help?

If you need more info, see Game Help:Installing TS3 Packswiki for a full, detailed step-by-step guide!
 
32 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 14 Feedback Posts, 17 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#2 Old 10th Oct 2015 at 10:48 AM
Thanks. Loving all your GTA inspired stuff, fits perfectly for what I need.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#3 Old 10th Oct 2015 at 3:29 PM
Great idea and execution as always! Would love to see more Skyline and Los Santos remakes from you, other than the ones you've already made, that I play already
Scholar
THANKS POST
#4 Old 10th Oct 2015 at 6:19 PM
I love all your conversions!
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#5 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 6:42 PM
I always like grungy lots- thanks!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#6 Old 12th Oct 2015 at 5:00 AM
thank you
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#7 Old 12th Oct 2015 at 4:32 PM
I seriously love this! The theme is done perfectly.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 13th Oct 2015 at 7:39 AM
Thank you for your thanks comments, guys, I hope it works without issues in your games!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#9 Old 13th Oct 2015 at 8:10 AM
Nice! Thank you.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 14th Oct 2015 at 3:04 PM
Honestly, I don't often download other people's lots (I prefer to make my own) but I just wanted to commend you on this design. It just screams "slum!" There is a sad lack of EA-made apartments/houses like these, which speaks volumes of their views on society, IMO--"If we ignore/neglect the poor people in the world, maybe they'll all just go away." This lot is perfect for people like me, who prefer to have a "poor" side of town and a "rich" side, just like in real life. After all, most of us have had to live in an apartment like this one at one time and this is a life simulator, right?

My TS3 Sims, patterns & recolors

Check out my Simblr! (TS3-focused, sometimes NSFW)
♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 14th Oct 2015 at 7:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chreai
Honestly, I don't often download other people's lots (I prefer to make my own) but I just wanted to commend you on this design. It just screams "slum!" There is a sad lack of EA-made apartments/houses like these, which speaks volumes of their views on society, IMO--"If we ignore/neglect the poor people in the world, maybe they'll all just go away." This lot is perfect for people like me, who prefer to have a "poor" side of town and a "rich" side, just like in real life. After all, most of us have had to live in an apartment like this one at one time and this is a life simulator, right?


Yes, I think likewise, I love social diversity in sims neighborhoods and the representation of all type of wealth status folks, from trailer parks to mansions; although, lately, I tend to prefer more and more the low-wealth segment, both in gameplay and building, somehow I feel it more life-simulating, more immersive. The lack of these kind of neighborhoods or districts in default EA worlds is perhaps not because this is how they see the world, but maybe simply because they think - and maybe rightfully - that their customers, or the majority of them prefer to play with those sims who prosper, and not those who struggle. ... Maybe if I live long enough, I will see one day the birth of a "more adult" micro-managing life simulator, that also will present social conflicts, poverty, addictions, illnesses, dysfunctional relationships, etc., so the other side of the coin, too.
Scholar
THANKS POST
#12 Old 15th Oct 2015 at 5:08 AM
Another great job, Floraflora!
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#13 Old 22nd Oct 2015 at 4:02 PM
I quite love the overall design of this replica. Even though it is a recreation of a building from Skylines, it resembles the apartments I see near my area.

In Short, thanks for another wonderful lot.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#14 Old 27th Oct 2015 at 7:38 PM
Ooh!! I'm totally loving the feel of this apartment. Definitely downloading this to try out. Thanks so much for creating this lot. ^,^
Mad Poster
#15 Old 4th Nov 2015 at 6:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floraflora2
Yes, I think likewise, I love social diversity in sims neighborhoods and the representation of all type of wealth status folks, from trailer parks to mansions; although, lately, I tend to prefer more and more the low-wealth segment, both in gameplay and building, somehow I feel it more life-simulating, more immersive. The lack of these kind of neighborhoods or districts in default EA worlds is perhaps not because this is how they see the world, but maybe simply because they think - and maybe rightfully - that their customers, or the majority of them prefer to play with those sims who prosper, and not those who struggle. ... Maybe if I live long enough, I will see one day the birth of a "more adult" micro-managing life simulator, that also will present social conflicts, poverty, addictions, illnesses, dysfunctional relationships, etc., so the other side of the coin, too.

I'm personally not familiar with the poorer side of life - I'm from a pretty good background, even for a Dutchman - but I do like how the poverty shows in your buildings. It's much harder to create something convincing when it's dirty, grimey or in a poor condition. When you do get it right (and you certainly do!), it makes the entire game look a lil' nicer. I've found that even my Sims' designer mansion looked better with a little rubbish and dirt here and there.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Test Subject
#16 Old 4th Nov 2015 at 11:03 PM
Hi! People upstairs cannot access their apartment so the lot litterally became a graveyard since they all starve to death in their own pee :S
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 5th Nov 2015 at 8:19 AM Last edited by Floraflora2 : 5th Nov 2015 at 8:54 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Translicious
Hi! People upstairs cannot access their apartment so the lot litterally became a graveyard since they all starve to death in their own pee :S


Hi, thank you for the warning. I haven't experienced this in my game, but next week I will check it again during gameplay. If I manage to identify the problem, either I will upload a corrected version, or delete the whole upload if it's beyond repair. On the other hand, if it works well in my game, then sadly I won't be able to correct what's wrong in yours, so I will leave the upload as it is. Thanks again for the feedback!
Test Subject
#18 Old 15th Nov 2015 at 7:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floraflora2
Hi, thank you for the warning. I haven't experienced this in my game, but next week I will check it again during gameplay. If I manage to identify the problem, either I will upload a corrected version, or delete the whole upload if it's beyond repair. On the other hand, if it works well in my game, then sadly I won't be able to correct what's wrong in yours, so I will leave the upload as it is. Thanks again for the feedback!


Thanks for your reply =)
What is the outcome, finally?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 21st Nov 2015 at 1:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Translicious
Thanks for your reply =)
What is the outcome, finally?


I managed to play about two sims-weeks lately in the house, and I didn't experience this routing/stuck issue. Actually I experience the contrary: I hardly see any remarkable traffic to the NPC apartment, although it's occupied by about 10-12 NPC sims (which is a large number), but I can only see one or two of them at the same time coming home or going to work, using the staircase, and disappearing "into the door" where they live. The NPC door itself is not blocked either because I can "Ring Bell", and an NPC comes out and my active sim can socialize with her/him. So unfortunately, I can't reproduce the issue in your game. Serious stuck-situations can be solved anytime by the resetsim cheat by the way, so you can prevent their death or hygiene issues by reseting them.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#20 Old 6th Dec 2015 at 2:11 AM
not familiar in cites skyline but the work is amazing
Test Subject
#21 Old 18th Dec 2015 at 2:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floraflora2
I managed to play about two sims-weeks lately in the house, and I didn't experience this routing/stuck issue. Actually I experience the contrary: I hardly see any remarkable traffic to the NPC apartment, although it's occupied by about 10-12 NPC sims (which is a large number), but I can only see one or two of them at the same time coming home or going to work, using the staircase, and disappearing "into the door" where they live. The NPC door itself is not blocked either because I can "Ring Bell", and an NPC comes out and my active sim can socialize with her/him. So unfortunately, I can't reproduce the issue in your game. Serious stuck-situations can be solved anytime by the resetsim cheat by the way, so you can prevent their death or hygiene issues by reseting them.


Oh.. Well, at least there's that! Thanks =) I'll definitely try!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#22 Old 10th Nov 2016 at 6:47 PM
can you make Trevor Phillip's trailer from GTA 5
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 11th Nov 2016 at 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assmunch123
can you make Trevor Phillip's trailer from GTA 5


I'm afraid I can't, especially not without CC, it wouldn't look like an exact replica. (Think about the diagonal wall of the trailer at its side, for example). BUT I created very similar trailers from Sandy Shores, you can check them or download them from here if you want:
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=558497
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#24 Old 12th Jan 2017 at 12:59 PM
Awesome!
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 26th Mar 2017 at 8:10 PM
Could I upload a Sims 4 version of this that I made?



Page 1 of 2