Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jul 2020 at 9:32 PM
Default Lot Adjuster Causing Weird Snow Effect Inside
I'm trying to build train car lots using Mootilda's lot adjuster so it will look like a long train of connected cars when the lots are placed side by side

I made the lots 2 stories tall with flat roofs, I have connecting walls at each end with floors and ceilings for every level. I shrnk the lots, go in and edit and move them like the lot adjuster says to do, then I move a Sim in. Everything's fine until it snows, and then I get this flashy white effect indoors

It always happens over 4 tiles nearest to an edge. Sometimes it's on the right side, sometimes the left, but never both. I've tried building without a foundation but it still happens on the upper floor and roof. I've tried using a bigger lot, building right in the middle, and then reducing by 10 tiles on each side, but it still happens. Is this a known issue with adjusted lots, or am I doing something wrong?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 2nd Jul 2020 at 2:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CreeSims
I'm trying to build train car lots using Mootilda's lot adjuster...

I've gotten to know the GA pretty well recently - but, I've never had this issue. Of course, that may also be because I don't have snow anywhere atm.

My first thought is - it's not the GA, per se... I think the snow falling inside is because the 'room' is not closed properly, it's not weather-proof. The area needs to be enclosed with full 16-click walls and have a ceiling, then it won't have snow inside.

This problem is in the 'connector' section - between the train cars, right? Sims won't be able to got there anyway, the door will be useless (except as deco, of course) This area only needs to be 1T at each end - when it 'connects' it will look like 2T - but, remember, sims can't go through the connection section to get to the next car.

Does that help any? Good luck!

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Jul 2020 at 6:01 PM
Thank you for the quick reply

I tried all your suggestions but no change

This room is completely enclosed, no doors, windows, or stairs. It has a ceiling too. The effect doesn't look like snow getting inside a house, it's a flashy white patch that happens only on the 4 tiles closest to an edge and only when it snows. It also only happens on raised floors. If I try building without a foundation the first floor is fine but the second floor and flat roof get this. I've also tried turning off snow on ground but that didn't help
Mad Poster
#4 Old 2nd Jul 2020 at 6:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CreeSims
...If I try building without a foundation the first floor is fine but the second floor and flat roof get this...

OH! Wait - derpy-me... you said Lot-Adjuster, not Grid-Adjuster. I know less about the Lot Adjuster than about the Grid Adjuster *sigh* LOL!

I still say it's probably weather related... but, maybe someone more knowledgeable about the LA will weigh in here?
I would say - the easy fix - "build without a foundation the first floor is fine" and don't bother/worry about a second story or what happens on the roof. Trains usually aren't 2-storys, right?

I am curious what would happen if you weren't in Winter-time at all. If the hood is in Summertime, and it still happens, then I'll be convinced it's not weather related.

If you want to change the grid to a 1-click or 2-click foundation, or add a no-slope basement - then I'm confidant I could help you ... I'm sorry I don't know more about the LA.
Goodf luck

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Jul 2020 at 7:52 PM
I was trying to build a hood for the movie/tv show Snowpiercer, which takes place in eternal winter on a 2 story train. To test it I was putting a Sim on the lot and using the weather controller to make it snow. The weird white flashy patch doesn't show up until it's been snowing for a few hours, and then it stays even if it stops snowing
Field Researcher
#6 Old 2nd Jul 2020 at 8:11 PM
I've never played adjusted lots through winter time (yet), but good to know this could happen

This is pure guessing on my side but the texture of the snow looks like that of the neighboring lot. Also you said turning off the snow on ground did nothing: maybe it is the neighborhood snow effect clipping through the active lot?
Alchemist
#7 Old 6th Jul 2020 at 9:52 PM
The flashy area looks like what you get if you overlap objects too closely. I don't think I've seen this with snow in my use of LotAdjuster, but I don't often have lots butting so close against each other these days, PLUS two-storey, PLUS several hours of snow. I am rather over snow, since my last Apocalypse challenge

I could try to reproduce the problem in my test game. It could always be that you have some mod or whatever that is causing it, rather than the LA.

My new downloads are on my Pillowfort
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Jul 2020 at 8:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aelflaed
The flashy area looks like what you get if you overlap objects too closely. I don't think I've seen this with snow in my use of LotAdjuster, but I don't often have lots butting so close against each other these days, PLUS two-storey, PLUS several hours of snow. I am rather over snow, since my last Apocalypse challenge

I could try to reproduce the problem in my test game. It could always be that you have some mod or whatever that is causing it, rather than the LA.

Thank you for offering, but it does seem likely that the problem is the game trying to render the stuff on the adjoining lots at the same time. It's odd that it always only happened on one side since both sides had the same setup but I guess it's just Maxis weirdness. I decided not to bother with the hood anyway. I thought it'd be a fun challenge but I do tend to get tired of snow
Mad Poster
#9 Old 9th Mar 2021 at 8:12 PM
I found this when looking for results for this issue. I am also finding this happens on any LotAdjusted lots.

If anyone ever found a fix for it, let me know!

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...