Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th May 2021 at 3:30 PM Last edited by Mie_999 : 31st May 2021 at 4:54 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default discolored beach - no nhood water in lot view
I'm sorry if my Google-fu has failed me, but I haven't found anything related to my question through Googling, or on the forum, so I decided to ask here.
This is my first post, and I am just curious if:

1. it is normal for the neighborhood water to disappear in lot mode/while in build/buy mode?
Sorry if I am unaware, but today has been the first time I opened my game after *gasp* 2 years without touching it. Been a lurker to check out the new downloads because I am old, but not a player for a while due to real life obligations. I miss playing my sims game.
2. I have custom shaders for lot water and neighborhood water installed, the ones that came with the shader fixes made by dreadpirate .
Is the issue caused by these things? If so, then I'll just revert back to Eaxis water, since I prefer to see the neighborhood water inside the lot while I play, even on regular lots. Feels more "open world" that way.
3. I am also in the process of following the flat beach tutorial by vimpse, so does that make my neighborhood water look the way it does?
4. This issue (more nit-picking than an actual issue, really) only ever happens on regular lots (non-beach lots). Whenever I go roam about in lot view, the water is just... gone. But not when I'm on a beach lot. And I want it back.

Some photos to better show you what I mean:
no nhood water in lot view 1
no nhood water in lot view 2
nhood water only visible in beach lot 1
nhood water only visible in beach lot 2

A simple answer will do since it's a trivial thing, I am sorry to be a bother. I just don't have anybody to talk about these things with at home. The pandemic is getting to me. But if I get my neighborhood looking pretty again, there's still a sliver of hope and peace of mind. Thank you for your time, and I hope the sims 2 game continues to be your little piece of happiness in the world, as it is with mine.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 11th May 2021 at 6:36 PM
The shaders would be the first thing I'd suspect, so I would recommend to make a safe backup of your neighborhood folder and then test the game without them.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 11th May 2021 at 10:04 PM
Following that excellent flat beach tutorial does not make the water disappear, I can tell you that.

Welcome back to TS2 !
Banned
#4 Old 13th May 2021 at 4:11 PM
thanks my issue has been fixed.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th May 2021 at 5:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
The shaders would be the first thing I'd suspect, so I would recommend to make a safe backup of your neighborhood folder and then test the game without them.

Thank you! Sorry for not being able to respond as quickly, as I have only managed to open my game again today, and only have a few hours of game time trial and error. It was indeed caused by the custom shaders. I was using the moi lot and nhood water shaders integrated into dreadpirate's shader fixes, for reference. I am now using the eaxis water shader fixes, which also comes with the dreadpirate fix, in the following captures, and it seems to be what I'm looking for:

a little bit better eaxis water 1
a little bit better eaxis water 2

Both captures taken while roaming around the neighborhood in a test lot away from the beach lots.
It's not as reflective as the moi shaders, and the pond water overhaul by Voeille is gorgeous, but a bit too dark for my taste. The eaxis water will do for now. (edited for spelling errors)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th May 2021 at 5:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lili975
Following that excellent flat beach tutorial does not make the water disappear, I can tell you that.

Welcome back to TS2 !

Thanks for the welcome, it's really nice to get back into making lots and decorating nhoods again. I don't actually play with sims much, but building and decorating can be therapeutic!
I found the vimpse tutorial I linked to very useful, and it's wonderful that they kept their blog open for reference.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 15th May 2021 at 10:58 AM
Good, glad you figured it out and have it looking good!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 31st May 2021 at 5:08 PM
I recently had time to run my game, was able to follow through with the lot shrinking and flattening of my beach lots, but there's still something bothering me...

The actual beach part of the lot has this discoloration in the ground... it has this red/pink highlight that won't go away, even if I try to spray on terrain paint. I have attached photos of said discoloration. It doesn't affect gameplay, but it does look odd and highly-distracting. I created these lots as templates to build houses/commercial lots, etc. for ease of use so I have a variety of lot sizes at my disposal, so they have no sims or objects in it. I could probably just start-over with the process if the red highlights can't be removed.

This only ever happened after flattening the beach lot, going through the steps of shrinking the lot in Lot Adjuster. The modifyneighborhoodterrain cheat is turned to false before I go into a lot, I often save small changes to the otherwise empty little space. I also use the maxis-match lighting mod, is that what makes the effect? The non-beach lots and other shrunken lots look pretty fine, though. I would like to know what causes this, and what I can do with it. Or is this a simple glitch that one just cannot avoid? Once again, my Googling skills have failed me. I appreciate input for this little pet-peeve.
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 31st May 2021 at 6:39 PM
I've never had that issue and I don't use lightning mods, or sky, or water changing mods, so I suspect that's not a vanilla game issue.