Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 11th Nov 2020 at 2:17 PM
I've bought new laptop several months ago, so I'll write down specs for both of them. I'd bought old laptop in 2015, (I think?) so both of them should be good for this questionnaire.

Version of TS2 you use (Disks, Digital, UC, unofficial digital bundle)
Disks

Operating System
old: Windows 7
new: Windows 10

Desktop or Laptop
laptop

Graphics Card/Chip
old: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470
new: Intel HD Graphics 4000

RAM
old: 4 GB
new: 8 GB

Size of Downloads Folder
1.8 GB

Can your computer run the game?
The game runs smoothly on both laptops.

What problems have you encountered and were you able to fix them?
-Pink Flashing/Purple Soup
-Access violation crashes
-Too Bright CAS
-Other (explain)

On old laptop I had had no problems. On new laptop I had to disable UAC to install the game. After re-enabling UAC, I start my game from Sims2EP9.exe, because launcher gives me "This app has been blocked for your protection" message. What's interesting, my sister also uses Windows 10, but she's never got that message while using launcher. That's the only problem I recall having.

Which Fixes are you currently using
-Graphics Rules SGR edited by hand or downloaded at leefish
-Graphicsrules.sgr edited by Graphics Rules Maker
-DVX9/DVXK
-Jessa's memory allocation fix
-Hardware Rendered smooth edges for NVIDIA users

I'm using Graphicsrules.sgr edited by GRM with some more edits made by hand and 4 GB patch on my new laptop. On old laptop I haven't used any fixes.

Have you tried any post-processing mods (Reshade/Pineapple5050's mod)?
-If you have, did it work for you?

I haven't.

Have you tried any water shaders (Voeille's pond/sea overhaul, niol's moi terrain water mod)
-If you have, did it work for you?

I haven't.

Anything else you'd like to add?
My sister gets pink flashing on her Windows 10 laptop, but I think it might be related to the fact she likes to decorate lots and neighbourhoods heavily. I've never encountered this issue. Honestly, I'm quite surprised my game runs so nicely on Windows 10, having read so many threads about problems it caused.
Advertisement
Theorist
#27 Old 12th Nov 2020 at 12:47 AM
Version of TS2 you use (Disks, Digital, UC, unofficial digital bundle): Discs (all EPs and SPs)

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64)
Processor: Intel Core i7-9700KF CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs)
Drive: 1TB SSD
DirectX version: 12

Desktop or Laptop: Desktop (custom - from late 2019)

Graphics Card/Chip: NVIDIA RTX 2060 Super 8GB GDDR6

RAM: 32GB (originally 16GB)

Size of Downloads Folder: I make a separate DF for each of my 'hoods so I don't have extra content installed that might not be needed. They are all normally under 11GB (with small themed 'hoods coming in under 4GB). Also, currently have just under 1GB of content that I don't ever want to remove stored in the 'Bins' folder in the game's Program Files, and use more than 1,000 game enhancing mods/tweaks, a camera and lighting mod too.

Can your computer run the game? Yes, with ease. All of my 'hoods load in well under a minute as well.

What problems have you encountered and were you able to fix them? None, as of yet. *keeps fingers crossed*

Which Fixes are you currently using? I am not using any programs, as I'd much rather manually edit the game files myself so that if a program stops working for whatever reason, I don't have to deal with having to troubleshoot it in order to play my game. So, when I switched to using this computer from my Windows 7 Pro one earlier in the year and re-installed the game on it, the only things I had to do were manually edit the Graphics Rules.sgr(s) and Video Cards.sgr in the game's Program Files to get the multiple screen size options back and turn smooth edges back on (everything else was automatically set at the highest setting already), add my graphics card to the list since it's too new to be recognized, set the texture memory and remove Securom ('cause disc install).

Have you tried any post-processing mods (Reshade/Pineapple5050's mod)? Nope, not interested in using those.

Have you tried any water shaders (Voeille's pond/sea overhaul, niol's moi terrain water mod)? I use Voeille's pond mod in some of my 'hoods, and Niol's Moi mod in others... without issue. I've never used the sea mod mainly because 98% of the time I use terrains that have no sea water anyhow, and even when they do a sea water mod is just not something I care about having.

Anything else you'd like to add? I'm not sure if I've just gotten lucky with the lack of game issues over the years, or if it's because I'm super picky about what I add to it combined with how obsessive I am about maintaining my computers, but will say that while newer computers should be able to handle such an old game (which I see people say quite often), the amount of content and what type of content we add does still matter. If your system is constantly overloaded by trying to render high-poly and high-res items, it will cause computer hardware and game issues in the long-run.

This is why I tend to prefer low to medium poly objects, but with high-res textures to freshen them up. My only exceptions for higher poly objects are Sun&Moon's crafting stations/objects from PBK and some 'hood deco buildings... 'cause those things are my *must have*. :lovestruc Clothing is normally under 6,500 polys for full outfits, and close enough to the Maxis standard for separates. And as much as I love, love, love a lot of the hairs that are out there, 14,000 polys is my max, and I still keep a nice mix of retextured under 6,000 polys hair in the mix as well.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Test Subject
#28 Old 12th Nov 2020 at 2:07 AM Last edited by DeepBlueSouth : 12th Nov 2020 at 5:06 AM. Reason: Update
Version of TS2 you use (Disks, Digital, UC, unofficial digital bundle)

Mr. D.J.'s Ultimate Collection Download [full disclosure, I own all of the discs, though 'Open for Business' was lost when my old laptop was stolen, however this new laptop doesn't even have a disc drive]

Operating System

Windows 10 Home - Version 20H2

Desktop or Laptop

Laptop

Graphics Card/Chip

Integrated video card [-sigh-] AMD Ryzen 3 3200U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx - 2.60 GHz

RAM
12 GB [upgraded from four]

Size of Downloads Folder
444 MB

Can your computer run the game?

Yes*

What problems have you encountered and were you able to fix them?
-Random crashes [few are "access violations"] seemingly mostly from overloaded video memory*
-Tried editing the Graphicsrules.sgr file so as to use better resolution, but this crashes my game 90% of the time [and lags the other 10% of the time], so I just keep it at 800x600 [and use a large widescreen monitor on my laptop to artificially stretch the graphics.*
-Unable to set all graphics to top levels [except for textures and lot views, both run maxed], HOWEVER for large lots with lots of playable sims this lags a bit and/or crashes after 24-48 sim hours, so setting lot view to nil on big/crowded seemingly keeps game running smoothly, but keep in mind that I am really into neighborhood deco and I enjoy seeing it from playable lots, really aids in the illusion of my sims being part of their larger neighbourhood "world". The lagging and crashing does NOT occur on community lots somehow [thank the Maker], it only seems to happen with lots of more than three stories and more than four PLAYABLE characters, NPC's somehow seem immune to this issue for me. Would love to run great resolution and not worry about extended lot views [on a handful of my lots], otherwise quite happy with it.*

*UPDATE:Ms. Jessa's tips and the 4GB patch saved the day [since I first posted this]! I am able to run without rolling back anything and no more crashes, even on my largest mansion with eight family members.

Which Fixes are you currently using
-Graphics Rules SGR edited by hand and....
-Graphicsrules.sgr edited by Graphics Rules Maker
-DVX9/DVXK
-Jessa's memory allocation fix

Have you tried any post-processing mods (Reshade/Pineapple5050's mod)?
-Other than expanded camera views/angles from here at MTS, not really.

Have you tried any water shaders (Voeille's pond/sea overhaul, niol's moi terrain water mod)
-Not yet, but I've thought about it. I did upgrade the night views with a mod for lighted windows in neighbourhood deco [from Psychosim or Dee Dee, I think?]

Anything else you'd like to add?[/QUOTE]
-Special thanks to MTS and my wonderful fellow users, without whom I could not have run the full graphics for the best-looking gameplay I've EVER enjoyed for TS2.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 12th Nov 2020 at 5:27 AM
I just added the first born syndrome fix and got the 4GB patch without intending to and my game load loading up way too fast so I'll have a new problem which is spending too much time in my game and be able to load it more often since it's been loading in 30 seconds after that happened.I didn't even need the 4GB patch and it's just going to drag me into playing more.It's also likely that my computer is going to last longer which is crazy since I've been taking such good care of it that it's running more like an almost new computer after 8 years of heavy use.
Forum Resident
#30 Old 13th Nov 2020 at 4:52 PM Last edited by foxmanic : 20th Nov 2020 at 8:54 PM.
Version of TS2 you use (Disks, Digital, UC, unofficial digital bundle) UC
Operating System Windows 10
Desktop or Laptop Desktop
Graphics Card/Chip NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB dedicated memory)
RAM 16 GB
Size of Downloads Folder I have multiple for different themes but they're about 4-8 GB each
Can your computer run the game? Yep, never had problems with it *knocks wood just in case*
What problems have you encountered and were you able to fix them? None so far *knocks wood just in case*
Which Fixes are you currently using edited Graphics Rules; downloaded the basic one for nvidia from Leefish and did couple extra tweaks to it, changed allowed memory and did this edit to it + of course added my graphics card to the database so it's recognized + 4GB patch. I'm pretty sure I never did anything more than that and then all I had to do was turn the game on and change the settings high there to be able to happily play. Oh and I've also bypassed Origin, that thing can go to hell.
Have you tried any post-processing mods (Reshade/Pineapple5050's mod)? No, I'm not fan of those
Have you tried any water shaders (Voeille's pond/sea overhaul, niol's moi terrain water mod) Yep, they work fine.
Anything else you'd like to add? Possibly important: I'm still using 1903 version of Windows 10 since I'm allergic to updates. I know I should update but that version just works so why ruin things? Edit: updated it finally to 1909 version since the 1903 is soon unsupported and so far the game works fine on it too.
Page 2 of 2