Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
#26 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 8:25 PM
You're basically telling me I can't install a new expansion pack without having to update my game to some crappy EA move at the last minute. Unbelievable.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 8:27 PM
Explain further by "uncheck expansions in the launcher". I don't really catch it. Now I am a bit wary of downloading mods and if it deletes all my expansions I'm beeped over.

great start guys. I clicked sunset valley and it loaded up isla paradiso. Nice patching ,EA.
Test Subject
#28 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 9:21 PM
Seems like EA in their infinite wisdom have made acquiring unregistered copies of this game even more attractive now. Even for those that own the original, if they foolishly bought through Origin.
Classic case of punishing those that are honest...
Theorist
#29 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 9:24 PM
I get what you are saying totally,but FYI you can get banned for mentioning that "p" word, flammen. You might want to rephrase that post.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Test Subject
#30 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 9:28 PM
How would I rephrase this? I neither offer illegal content, nor do I condone using it. I merely state the obvious. Hope my modifications are sufficient.
#31 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 10:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mordecai and Rigby
You're basically telling me I can't install a new expansion pack without having to update my game to some crappy EA move at the last minute. Unbelievable.

Unless there is a tool out there that will install .a Sim3Pack, or can convert a Sim3Pack to a .package file, I was thinking the same thing.

I can never look to see what Origin has for sale again! If I do, it's all bugs, crashes, slow performance, and Sims 4 advertisements.

I'm kinda bitter about this. Unless Origin/EA does right by their customers, I'm never buying from them again.
One Minute Ninja'd
#32 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 10:35 PM
So, when is the next patch coming out to fix all the shit they broke with this one?
Test Subject
#33 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 10:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stuart-grey
Unless there is a tool out there that will install .a Sim3Pack, or can convert a Sim3Pack to a .package file, I was thinking the same thing.

I can never look to see what Origin has for sale again! If I do, it's all bugs, crashes, slow performance, and Sims 4 advertisements.

I'm kinda bitter about this. Unless Origin/EA does right by their customers, I'm never buying from them again.

There are several tools, that can convert Sims3Pack to package. See here for example.
Field Researcher
#34 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 10:44 PM
I wish I had saved all the installers from Origin (I foolishly only saved Pets, since I kept having problems with it). I bought them all before they started shoving the Origin crap in the base game, so I never had any issues.

I'm in the process of building out a new PC, so I'll need to re-install. I guess I'll have to find some used game discs for sale somewhere and just use my product codes. Le Sigh.
#35 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 11:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by flammen
There are several tools, that can convert Sims3Pack to package. See here for example.

I think it's working! Thanks! Stupid me didn't even think to look for such a thing... I guess because it seemed like such a wondrous device!

So, basically, I can take at least some of my downloaded Sims3Pack downloaded content (that without DRM I presume) and covert it to .package files so I don't need the launcher to install.

I only lose the Sim3Packs I paid for. Yeah, thanks EA.
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 11:19 PM
I feel kind of bad for those who went and update but this move by Origin is similar to what happen in simctiy 2013.I believe that EA should left this update on the shelve in the back room
Theorist
#37 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 11:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HWBandit
1. Every time you want to play the Sims 3 you NOW need to login and have the launcher PLUS origin running in the background.

Hell no.
OK, first of all I NEVER use Origin to start my Sims 2 UC or Sims 3 games. EVER. Secondly, I never use the launcher unless I'm installing Sims3packs or Store content - which I may never do again unless I still can do this without having to login to Origin before launching the launcher.

The only time I ever use Origin is when I have to play SImCity2013 and I've not done that in at least a year and probably won't since I now play Cities:Skylines.
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
You can still download the 1.67 superpatch manually and I recommend everyone to download a copy for backup. It is approx 1.7GB in size.

1.67 Super Patch

Thanks for the link. I always download the manual patches and update later. However, given that this patch is basically evil - it's going to make me login to Origin AND use the launcher - it'll just be sitting in my TS3 Patch file folder forever.

As for installing a new EP, I have all the EP's I want in my game so I'm good. No need for this silly patch.
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
So, when is the next patch coming out to fix all the shit they broke with this one?

We really want a patch for the patch? You know they'll break even more things trying to fix it right?

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Test Subject
#38 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 11:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lisfyre
Thanks for the link. I always download the manual patches and update later. However, given that this patch is basically evil - it's going to make me login to Origin AND use the launcher - it'll just be sitting in my TS3 Patch file folder forever.

The 1.67 patch is the last good apple in the barrel. The new "features" aren't available for manual download.
Theorist
#39 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 11:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by flammen
The 1.67 patch is the last good apple in the barrel. The new "features" aren't available for manual download.

Good to know. I guess I'll be stuck with 1.67 then I can live with it.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Field Researcher
#40 Old 15th Nov 2015 at 12:24 AM Last edited by simb0t : 15th Nov 2015 at 12:56 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by simb0t
I wish I had saved all the installers from Origin (I foolishly only saved Pets, since I kept having problems with it). I bought them all before they started shoving the Origin crap in the base game, so I never had any issues.

I'm in the process of building out a new PC, so I'll need to re-install. I guess I'll have to find some used game discs for sale somewhere and just use my product codes. Le Sigh.

Hate to reply to myself on this, but I had to do some research since I'll be re-installing everything in the next couple of days and really don't want to deal w/ essential mods that are broken by 1.69 and the Origin stuff. Hopefully the instructions here work, and I'm posting this up in case anyone else is in the same boat.

Full page: http://help.ea.com/en/article/why-i...ame-installers/

From the page:

To backup your Directories for your DiP Titles:

1. Once the game is downloaded and fully installed, you can Copy the entire Directory to your desired backup location.

- You can locate the Directory where Origin Games are installed while inside your Origin client. Click Origin > Application Settings and it’s on the General tab under Downloaded Games.

- This will typically be C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\ , however, this may vary if you have chosen a different location in the past.

2. When you need to restore your Directories, copy those files to the Origin Games directory, run Origin and click Download on the game tile in My Games.

3. At this point Origin will check that all the files restored from the backup are in order, generate a new CRC file, and reinstall the game in the Windows registry. You should be able to click Play and launch the game normally.

Fingers and toes crossed!
Scholar
#41 Old 15th Nov 2015 at 1:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sbugg
... Origin patched the game without asking me...

Have you figured out how they did this? I would like to take measures to prevent them from doing this to me.

I had been told that by keeping the automatic update box UN-ticked, I was safe from this.

How do I stop Origin from raping my computer?

edited to add:
OH! You'e talking about ORIGIN. Sorry. I totally misread/misunderstood. I thought EA had patched your game without permission.
I don't have ORIGIN. Never did, never will.

whew.
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 15th Nov 2015 at 8:03 AM
Simb0t has an interesting idea with copying the installers, so I've tried it. Fortunately, I still have the old Origin installation of Sims 3 on my other HDD with Windows 10 Insider Preview, so I made backup of that installation. Then I unistalled The Sims 3 base game (did not bother uninstalling EPs and SPs this time), copied the backup to my Origin Games folder and tried what he suggested. Unfortunately, with letting Origin download the game, it downloaded the new patch, so I've got 1.69. So I unistalled that again, copied the backup to my Origin Games folder again and this time tried the "Sims3Setup.exe" in that folder, but I let it install to its predefined folder, which is not where the Origin games are installed. That gave me error when launching the game. Still, I tried to patch it with superpatch, but even after that, it did not work. So, I once again unistalled it. I was not ready to give up yet though. I found that the copy in my Origin Games folder is still there, so I once again launched Sims3Setup and this time did custom installation and let it install to my Origin Games folder. Then I applied the Superpatch and launched the game. And this time it worked. So now, I have download version of the base game which doesn't need the disk. That is important for my experiments with Any Game Starter. So, thank you simb0t for giving me this idea, even though it did not work the way you thought it should, but in the end, I found a solution.
Scholar
#43 Old 15th Nov 2015 at 10:28 AM Last edited by Elynda : 15th Nov 2015 at 10:40 AM.
Does any ot this relate to the fact that I can't currently connect with the Sims3 Store, which I have been happily doing up till today. Whatever route I take, from the Loader or from a bookmark on my browser I either get a cog-wheel thing revolving endlessly, or a message from Mozilla saying something about somebody 'impersonating' the site. Origin was installed on my computer at the time I installed my game (from disks), I have never used it, never needed it. Do I need it now? If so, will this mean having my game permanently screwed with?

EDIT: The technical info in that message reads "store.thesims3.com uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate expired on 14/11/2015 23:59. The current time is 15/11/2015 10:36".

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 15th Nov 2015 at 12:57 PM
It seem Origin did more than mess with people games they look like they mess with website too sims3 store I am getting (This Connection is Untrusted You have asked Firefox to connect securely to sims3 store, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.
Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.) sad
Mad Poster
#45 Old 15th Nov 2015 at 1:26 PM
Don't know if it'll help, but this one has found that by going to the "create a new account" page at the Store, and then logging in from there seems to work, where as logging in elsewhere on the site doesn't and simply times out.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Test Subject
#46 Old 15th Nov 2015 at 1:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HWBandit
So call it unlucky but I re-installed the Sims 3 today as I also reinstalled my computer and ended up downloading the "new" version of the Sims 3 launcher.

Well this turned out to be a horrible idea for 3 reasons. Reasons why YOU should avoid the new patch too.

1. Every time you want to play the Sims 3 you NOW need to login and have the launcher PLUS origin running in the background.

This means launching the Sims 3 has turned into a 3 step process from a 1 step. (I feel there is a joke here somewhere...)

aka Launch and login to origin - launch sims 3 launcher - launch sims 3.

EDIT: You CAN close the Sims 3 launcher after the game launches - however Origin can't be closed (unless you do it via forced task manager). If you force close origin it will reload itself for a few seconds after you exit the game - so I'm not sure what actually effects this will have (force closing origin) on the sim3.exe file in-game since its clearly doing more then just launching the game. I've also noticed the Sims 3 launcher sometimes closes itself and other times stays open. Not sure why so random.

2. The new launcher will DESELECT ALL my expansions/packs when I load it when I make any changes to my Sims 3 doc folder - meaning if I don't recheck them the game would load without them - a nightmare of epic "save" proportions waiting to happen. I now need to check this tab EVERY TIME I launch the game. (so actually a 4 step process to play the game...)

EDIT: This is directly related to deleting cache files, updating mods and sometimes (this is random) removing/adding store content. Doing so WILL uncheck all your expansions/packs in the launcher.

I REPEAT DELETING CACHE FILES WILL UNCHECK ALL YOUR EXPANSIONS/STUFF PACKS in the launcher. Make sure you recheck them!

3. Performance issues. This is a big one that directly effects the Sims 3 performance and goes back to reason 1. Origin and the Launcher now sit open in the background (though the launcher sometimes closes - sometimes doesnt) and don't they leave a small memory footprint as they are constantly "working' in the background (such as downloading thousands upon thousands of thumbnails that will fill your FeaturedItems folder and origin constantly calling home).

EDIT: So there might be more to this performance issue, after some trial and error it appears Origin is well and truly encoded into the new TS3.exe beyond just acting as a launcher (which the game runs from now - NOT TS3W.exe like it used to. Now TS3W launches the launcher) as Origin calls home to origin during and AFTER game play.

If you can play disconnected I HIGHLY advise it regardless.

EDIT: I've also noticed if you login to origin offline and load Sims 3 - Origin might crash after exiting the game. FUN!

Unlike the Sims 4, the Sims 3 was not built to work well with Origin and more so the Sims 3 is not optimized well - meaning any further layers on the basegame resource draw just slows things down.

IF you can avoid downloading the new patch I advice doing so at all costs, unfortunately if you just bought the Sims 3 or reinstalled it from Origin you will be stuck with it.

I originally posted this on the official forums, but thought it was worth sharing here.

that's what they did to the sims medieval. you used to be able to play it without origin on and now it has to be running in the background.
Scholar
#47 Old 15th Nov 2015 at 1:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
Don't know if it'll help, but this one has found that by going to the "create a new account" page at the Store, and then logging in from there seems to work, where as logging in elsewhere on the site doesn't and simply times out.

That worked! Thanks alot. Don't expect I'll be using the Store much now, but I had hoped to one day download Lunar Lakes.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Instructor
#48 Old 15th Nov 2015 at 3:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chakkraa
that's what they did to the sims medieval. you used to be able to play it without origin on and now it has to be running in the background.

Is this the digital version of TSM? I know that Patch 2.something (and Pirates and Noble's .exe file) introduced SecuROM, but I never heard about Origin becoming mandatory for TSM.

A fool and his money are soon parted. ~ Thomas Tusser
Field Researcher
#49 Old 15th Nov 2015 at 3:58 PM
Luckily my game was still on 1.67 when I checked the launcher. It also said there was no new patch though, which is kinda weird. This just really sucks because my copy of Season's is digital and by the time I have money to get a physical copy, EA might have already updated the disks.
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 15th Nov 2015 at 8:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chakkraa

would I did know,I just install the game and uninstall went i feel like
Page 2 of 3