Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#51 Old 21st Oct 2020 at 6:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Someone port it to PC?

No. You can't have it.

Wait a minute, you want a PC port of a second image of TS3 within Origin that leads to a download failure? Well okay, that I think we can manage even on a bad day.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 21st Oct 2020 at 10:58 AM
Do we know if it’s truly 64-bit or just a back door launcher? (Asking before I get excited/jealous)
Scholar
#54 Old 21st Oct 2020 at 11:31 AM
No, no one had given a real answer on whether it is true 64 bit or just capable of working with Macs 64 bit mandatory system while still causing constant error 12s,
I hope its a true 64 bit update, but I'm not holding my breath.

Wren-der Simblr // Sim Art // Pictures // Downloads // Random Nonsensical Rambling
Mad Poster
#55 Old 21st Oct 2020 at 2:25 PM
A whole bunch of Mac players on a more current version of the macOS are reporting in on EA's Answers.HQ that they are seeing the same thing I am. Thus far the new TS3 entry on Origin for Mac is apparently just a placeholder that leads to a download failure. There's no successful downloads reported yet.
Test Subject
#56 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 9:16 PM
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical...p/9636105#M8517
Quote:
FAQ

I already own The Sims 3 on Mac, how do I get the new 64-bit version?

The Sims 3 for macOS, 64-bit will automatically be applied to your EA Account and available to install from My Library at no additional cost.

I plan to purchase The Sims 3, which versions will I get?

Purchasing The Sims 3 through Origin will provide you access to previously existing versions on Windows PC and Mac as well as the new version for macOS.

I own The Sims 3 on disc, how do I get the new version?

To get the new version of The Sims 3 for macOS, 64-bit, you will need to register your game with EA and download the 64-bit version of The Sims 3 from Origin. You can register your game and packs at www.thesims3.com by logging in with the same account you use with Origin (EA Help). For any registration or account related issues, please contact EA Support by visiting https://help.ea.com/contact-us

I already registered The Sims 3 on the website but I don’t see it in Origin, what do I do?

If you have already registered The Sims 3 and any packs on www.thesims3.com but do not see it in My Library in Origin, ensure you log in to Origin using the same email and password you use on www.thesims3.com. The same applies for using The Sims 3 website, login using the same details you use in Origin to see all of your owned content. Do not try to re-register your code in Origin or on the website as it will inform you that the code has already been redeemed since it is already applied to your EA Account. For any registration or account related issues, please contact EA Support by visiting https://help.ea.com/contact-us

Is this a Remaster or Remake of The Sims 3?

This new version is a compatibility release which adds support for 64-bit, Apple’s Metal graphics API, and makes the application a fully native macOS app. It is not a Remaster or Remake of The Sims 3.

Is changing from 32-bit to 64-bit the only thing that has changed?

No. This update of The Sims 3 also switches from OpenGL to Apple’s Metal graphics API, changes significantly how data is managed with the game service, where files are stored within the macOS file system, and has been updated to be a native macOS application.

Will the new version of The Sims 3 on Mac be delivered as an update?

No, due to the changes, The Sims 3 for macOS, 64-bit is seen as a different game by Origin. That means you will need to install rather than update.

I have Save Game files, can I continue my progress in the new version?

Your Save Game files are compatible with the new version of The Sims 3 and you will be able to continue where you left off. Before uninstalling any version of The Sims 3, we always recommend backing up your Save Game files.

Can I go back to the old version of The Sims 3?

Yes, if your macOS supports 32-bit applications (support for 32-bit was dropped by macOS in the Catalina release in 2019, but earlier versions of macOS that still support 32-bit applications might still run on your Macintosh), you can install either release of The Sims 3 from My Game Library in Origin. However, if you have macOS Catalina (10.15.x, released in 2019) or later, which only supports 64-bit applications, you will only be able to use the new release of the game.

Can I install the older macOS version and the new macOS version together?

No, you will only be able to have one version of The Sims 3 installed at a time.

I own both a new and an old Mac, can I still play on both?

Yes, in My Library you will see both the older and newer versions of The Sims 3. Simply install the version of the game which suits the Mac you are using.

I have The Sims 3 DLC and/or content from The Sims 3 Store. Do I need to re-purchase them if I use the new version?

No, all of your existing packs, Worlds and purchases from The Sims 3 Store stay with you. To install your Packs, you will need to download them once you have installed the new version of The Sims 3. You can do this by selecting The Sims 3 (64-bit & Metal) from My Game Library in Origin and selecting each Pack type and clicking the Download button. For content purchased from The Sims 3 Store, login at TheSims3.com and go to Store > My Store Account > Purchase History and you will see your purchases ready for download.

I want to use the new version of The Sims 3 on my Mac. What specs do I need?

You will need a Mac which has support for Apple’s Metal graphics API and be on macOS High Sierra (10.13.x, released in 2017) or later. For Minimum and Recommended specs, you can find them listed below and on The Sims 3 (64-bit & Metal) page on Origin.com.

MAC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

MINIMUM SPECS:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Processor or better

RAM: At least 4 GB RAM

HARD DRIVE: At least 15 GB of free space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680, AMD Radeon RX 560, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 or better

INPUT: Keyboard and Mouse

ONLINE REQUIREMENTS: Internet connection required for product activation.

RECOMMENDED SPECS:

PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5 or better

VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680, AMD Radeon RX 560, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 or better

MEMORY: 8GB RAM

HARD DRIVE: 18 GB of Hard Drive space

Apple has recently announced that the Mac platform is moving to ARM based CPUs. Is this release of The Sims 3 for macOS, 64-bit optimized for this new architecture?

This release of The Sims 3 for macOS, 64-bit is optimized for macOS running on Intel x86 CPUs. It is not optimized for the Apple ARM CPU architecture.

I don’t want to see two versions of The Sims 3 in My Game Library, what can I do?

If you want to keep your My Game Library tidy, you can hide the version of The Sims 3 which you do not use by highlighting The Sims 3 and right click and select Hide. You can view your hidden games at any time and unhide them where necessary by using the Hidden Games filter in My Game Library.

When will The Sims 3 for Windows be updated to 64-bit?

The Sims 3 for Windows PC works on both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows. We do recommend players on The Sims 3 version 1.67 or earlier update to version 1.69, which is available to download through Origin if you have registered your game and packs against your EA Account.

The Sims 3 for macOS is in my Origin library, but I can’t download it! Is something wrong?

Nope, nothing is wrong. Beginning on October 20 we began adding the entitlement for this version of the game to all Origin accounts that own any release of The Sims 3. This means that the game is showing up in your library, but that the game itself is not yet available for download. This is expected! The game will be available for download soon.
Test Subject
#57 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 11:32 PM
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical...ight/true#M8522
Quote:
I also know a lot of you are wondering if this release will also include a 64-bit update for Windows players. No, it won't.
And that's the other question I can't and won't answer: "When, or will, there be a Windows 64-bit update?"
We can't comment on rumors and speculation nor can we comment on unannounced roadmaps that may or may not exist.
If there was more I could tell you about this - I would.

Mad Poster
#59 Old 24th Oct 2020 at 1:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
What is the point of a 64-bit version with 4GB of RAM?

To allow the game to run. There aren't any new Macs models shipping with only 4 GB that I know of, but if anyone upgraded a Mac with 4 GB so that it's now running Catalina or higher, let's remember that they can't currently run the original version of TS3 at all precisely because it is 32-bit. These players want their games back, in whatever form they can get them.

The other point would be the improved features of the new version, although we don't yet quite know what they all are yet. Metal graphics processing is known to be one. We hope the EPs won't be such a pain to install as they are now on the older version. And maybe the 2 GB RAM limit will be lifted, although yeah with 4 GB total the player will only be able to take that so far depending on which macOS they have and whatever else they have running.
Smeg Head
#60 Old 24th Oct 2020 at 11:19 PM Last edited by coolspear1 : 24th Oct 2020 at 11:33 PM.
"nor can we comment on unannounced roadmaps that may or may not exist." Errr, I'm pretty sure you can comment on anything that does exist, should you have need to quell any disgruntled stirrings. So reading between the lines, it does not and probably will not exist.

If I'm going to have to constantly load up Origin, to see a 64bit TS3 - of which I have long hoped for like so many - be greyed-out that I cannot have on my PC, I am going to frikken-well uninstall Origin and all EA games that come with it! The damn mindless nerve to thrust it in my face like that, then say nope, not for you, no plans for that, so dream on. Like I'm going to quietly hide it from my library panel and happily ignore it exists at all. The damn nerve. If they can strip out bowing to a shrine in upcoming TS4 EP because of complaints, then this is going to spill over them like molten lava if they don't soon find a way to appease the Windows massive. And I don't mind if I'm one of the ones doing the pouring of lava because the decision to make it 64bit should have been across the board, irrelevant of coming to the rescue of Mac/TS3 users. For same reasons, they released TS4 as 64bit for Mac. Imagine them leaving the Windows version in a 32bit hell all this while? Total uproar if they did! The same uproar they'll now be facing over this TS3 Mac upgrade.

The fact they cannot comment one way or the other, no idea of their own plans, or lack thereof, on a matter that an ant could have had the foresight predicting it will become a very sore spot for Windows players, is just mind-boggling. They are not some medical emergency team, in the middle of a major crisis, never knowing if they'll have enough medicine day after day. Yet to ask them, they go on frustrated like that is the way their workload goes. BS. They should make proper plans to satisfy everyone on these types of matters. None of this "we just don't know" crap. Highly unprofessional. And now just watch how an animosity between Mac and Windows players starts to grow, and hellfire soon starts being unleashed on forums across the galaxy. That's what they'll instigate, which they have now set in motion. An ant could have seen it coming.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Mad Poster
#61 Old 24th Oct 2020 at 11:37 PM Last edited by igazor : 24th Oct 2020 at 11:52 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by coolspear1
Errr, I'm pretty sure you can comment on anything that does exist, should you have need to quell any disgruntled stirrings.

Hey, shouldn't you be busy serving tea to some sisters who died a hundred thousand years ago or something? (my memories of that show are beginning to fade and yikes somehow I got three series/seasons behind, but I still remember laughing an awful lot for years there...)

MaxisJoe did not mean that the team is physically unable to move their vocal cords and form the words players want to hear. He meant that, even if there is more information about projects being considered, rejected, or already under way, they are all under a Non-Disclosure Agreement that prohibits discussing them.
Smeg Head
#62 Old 25th Oct 2020 at 12:07 AM Last edited by coolspear1 : 25th Oct 2020 at 12:58 AM.
Oh yeah, that episode with one of the best gags. While off making tea, returning to the Dwarf Boys, only to hear said sisters are all dead. What, I've only been gone five minutes?! Are you sure they're all dead? Classic.

But regarding a Windows 64bit TS3, the current "mum's the word" attitude will certainly pass as acceptable for the short term. But if and when those reports from Mac TS3 gamers come in, of just how much better the game is. Just how much more fantastic and liberating an experience it has become, then for their own sake they'd better not stay so close-lipped and undetermined. More to the point, they'd better be saying the Windows upgrade is in the pipeline and soon available for download. Nothing else will do, if they truly want to keep the peace - and customers.

Edit: And if there is one thing they'll be watching like hawks over the coming months, is the percentage of TS4 Mac players trailing off, as many make a happy return back to play TS3 in a way they have been so longing to do for years. And for as long as they'll be studying this dynamic, we Windows players will get no word at all. Particularly if the shift from Mac TS4 to TS3 is more than just a fad to see what all the 64bit fuss is about. That if it's ongoing and makes a noticeable dent to TS4 pack and base game sales, then we Windows players will get nothing at all till TS4 comes to the end of its run. If even then. Much how I see the evolution of the Mac had brought this necessity about, it will be downright unfair to leave Widows players out in the cold, who would happily shitft back over to TS3 from TS4 if they too were given the opportunity. After all, they would not have wanted to make TS3 64bit for anyone while TS4 is still trying to sell. But they did, evolution demanded. So then do it for all, if fairness be the main objective, or at least the pretense EA wants to invoke.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Scholar
#63 Old 25th Oct 2020 at 12:28 PM
Did I miss where they said it was going to be an actual 64-bit game and not just 64-bit compatible, because I still haven't seen that. There is no point in getting all upset over something that isn't confirmed imo.

Wren-der Simblr // Sim Art // Pictures // Downloads // Random Nonsensical Rambling
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 25th Oct 2020 at 3:24 PM
I was wondering the same thing. We have no idea if it will acualy run better then the current version on pc. The very least we know is it can now utilize atleast 4 gigs of memory which is good since the normal mac vistion can only use 2. Whether or not it can use MORE we won't know until someone trys it out and reports back.
Smeg Head
#65 Old 25th Oct 2020 at 6:18 PM Last edited by coolspear1 : 25th Oct 2020 at 7:17 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by MurderPrincessK
Did I miss where they said it was going to be an actual 64-bit game and not just 64-bit compatible, because I still haven't seen that. There is no point in getting all upset over something that isn't confirmed imo.

That is very true, taken on the value you are expressing.

However, if it was just a a rework of the game to run as 64-bit compatible on a Mac, - nothing to write home about for Windows players and "glad you can join us again, Mac players" - rather than be a fully fleshed-out 64-bit upgrade - filling Windows players with jealousy that can lead to rival rage if left out in the dark long term - then would it not be better for those devs to just say that period, definitively. That it will only open access to modern Mac users once again, but no difference to the game performance and certainly no differences compared to the long-standing Windows version. (And the new stuff added, whatever that is, is nothing that you'd actually want, so no need to yap over that either.) You see how that can nip all potential confusion and jealous stirrings right in the bud.

Yet they put out this - as you have probably already read above -

I also know a lot of you are wondering if this release will also include a 64-bit update for Windows players. No, it won't.
And that's the other question I can't and won't answer: "When, or will, there be a Windows 64-bit update?"
We can't comment on rumors and speculation nor can we comment on unannounced roadmaps that may or may not exist.
If there was more I could tell you about this - I would.

Why leave it a mystery with ambiguous and provocative statements such as as this, if there actually is no big mystery to what the 64-bit Mac update entails. Especially when communicating with Windows users who see 64-bit and start chomping at the bit, but are spoken to in riddles because of gagging-orders. If the recent statements from Maxis are meant to mollify the community by saying they are going to be more open and transparent, well this is not it. That quoted statement is the very antithesis of transparency, especially if the Mac update is nothing more than a fixer-upper to get it up and running again, a little bit of spit and polish thrown in, yet the game is no more technically different than it was ten years ago, as such there is no need to do same to the Windows version. Yet why is everyone so uncertain about the upgrade? Mac players don't even know what it's actually about till they install and play the upgraded version and discover, while Windows players will be left hanging on the Mac players every reported word hereafter? Just what the heck is that all about? Transparency? I just don't see it - if you'll pardon the pun.

Lab Assistant
#66 Old 26th Oct 2020 at 11:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mac System Requirements
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680, AMD Radeon RX 560, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 or better

Wait! RX 560 is 2017 GPU, while GTX 680 is 2012 GPU. Why this discrepancy between NVidia and AMD GPUs. Does it have some reason or it is just EA throwing GPU names to annoy people?
Mad Poster
#67 Old 27th Oct 2020 at 12:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by peno
Wait! RX 560 is 2017 GPU, while GTX 680 is 2012 GPU. Why this discrepancy between NVidia and AMD GPUs. Does it have some reason or it is just EA throwing GPU names to annoy people?

The cards need to support Metal and need to actually have been used in a shipped Mac configuration. It does seem like some of the older but higher end AMD cards should suffice like the Radeon 7950 HDs, but they may never have appeared in a Mac that meets other requirements.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202239
Test Subject
#68 Old 27th Oct 2020 at 2:29 PM
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical...ight/true#M8594

Quote:
Hi Simmers!

EDIT: "SURPRISE!"

Looks like there's a date in your Origin clients! HOW EXCITING IS THIS, AMIRIGHT?

Yes THAT DATE IS CORRECT! We're hoping to get this beastie onto your hard drives this Wednesday, October 28! Who needs All-Hallows-Eve parties anyway (which - hey, we're not supposed to go to parties right now anyway)?

While I have your attention - thank you, everyone, for all of your appreciative posts over the last few days. I promise you they're not necessary. We think this game is awesome too and we're really thrilled to be able to get it back onto your Macs. What we're looking forward to the most is you being able to download it and play again.

Happy simming (in a few days), yo! Stay safe out there.
Forum Resident
#69 Old 27th Oct 2020 at 4:08 PM
The FAQ mentioned that it overhauls memory, so maybe this will be a real 64 bit update? Not counting on it though
Alchemist
#70 Old 28th Oct 2020 at 9:26 AM
pls dont make me buy a MacBook

... hypothetically, it should be possible somehow to make it run for a PC right? In some way

what does his name even mean?
Scholar
#71 Old 29th Oct 2020 at 10:08 PM Last edited by MurderPrincessK : 29th Oct 2020 at 11:21 PM.
So it's been released as of oct. 28th, but I've yet to see an update from anyone who has actually gotten it to work... All the notes seem to be copious amounts of errors/failures. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop and is it a true 64 bit update are things the world may never know...

Field Researcher
#72 Old 29th Oct 2020 at 11:26 PM
MaxisJoe has announced that they figured out how to fix it, and the fix will be rolling out over the next few days.
Mad Poster
#73 Old 30th Oct 2020 at 5:20 AM
EA actively fixing issues in The Sims 3. I never thought I'd see the day.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
#74 Old 30th Oct 2020 at 5:43 AM
I know that it's been stated time and time again that there will be no Sims 3 64-Bit version coming to windows, and yet my heart still has hope settled inside of it.

Oh c'mon. There better be a point to all this stress I'm under.
Test Subject
#75 Old 30th Oct 2020 at 4:06 PM
Page 3 of 4