Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jul 2021 at 10:37 AM
Default Animation Issues with Repairable Car Mod
I'm working on a mod to make cars more interesting so that they can get dirty, require fuel, break down and get upgrades. I'm using the Store Fixer Upper car as the base since it already has all the animations I need and is a more interesting car than the ones provided in the game. So far the coding is going well (famous last words) though I've only so far added the ability to make speed upgrades and some small trait factors to the car. Where I am really stuck with the meshing part and am now convinced it's an animation issue rather than a joint/bone assignment problem.

I've updated the RSLT and Rig files in both the parent and child files (the Fixer Upper is two cars -- rundown and fixed -- with the animations contained in the rundown version and tied to the latter) and still run into the problem where the car "slots" back into the original mesh when a Sim interacts with it other than when driving. The doors and hood open fine (there's no deformation) but they just revert back to the location of the original mesh. (photos attached) The car I'm using is a slightly edited version of the Big Lemon in the game so it's wider and shorter than the Fixer Upper.

I'm not an object creator and new to animations but am happy to learn (Covid has me taking on new hobbies, lol) if someone could point me in the right direction of where the problem lies.

P.S. I recognize the easiest solution would be to just use a clone of the Fixer Upper car already provided but I personally find it really ugly and impractical and don't want it in my game.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#2 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 3:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by olomaya
I'm working on a mod to make cars more interesting so that they can get dirty, require fuel, break down and get upgrades. I'm using the Store Fixer Upper car as the base since it already has all the animations I need and is a more interesting car than the ones provided in the game. So far the coding is going well (famous last words) though I've only so far added the ability to make speed upgrades and some small trait factors to the car. Where I am really stuck with the meshing part and am now convinced it's an animation issue rather than a joint/bone assignment problem.

I've updated the RSLT and Rig files in both the parent and child files (the Fixer Upper is two cars -- rundown and fixed -- with the animations contained in the rundown version and tied to the latter) and still run into the problem where the car "slots" back into the original mesh when a Sim interacts with it other than when driving. The doors and hood open fine (there's no deformation) but they just revert back to the location of the original mesh. (photos attached) The car I'm using is a slightly edited version of the Big Lemon in the game so it's wider and shorter than the Fixer Upper.

I'm not an object creator and new to animations but am happy to learn (Covid has me taking on new hobbies, lol) if someone could point me in the right direction of where the problem lies.

P.S. I recognize the easiest solution would be to just use a clone of the Fixer Upper car already provided but I personally find it really ugly and impractical and don't want it in my game.

First of all this sounds really cool, and I am sure there are plenty of simmers who are dying to have this :p
Could you upload the file? I'm not really sure what the issue is but it can help to have a closer look.
@Lyralei when available might also be the best person to help with this, especially if it's a rigging/animation issue
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Aug 2021 at 12:32 PM Last edited by olomaya : 2nd Aug 2021 at 12:58 PM.
Thanks for the response. Sorry, I haven't had a chance to update on my findings after doing some digging. Here's the file. I discovered it is an animation alignment issue after doing some more testing in Blender. The start animation is set with the original mesh coordinates. I tested a couple of the animations and edited them in Blender and that solved the problem of the mesh snapping back but there are like 100+ animations for the car so I kind of screamed inside and took a break, lol.

As a cheap workaround (for now), I've just taken a few cars that are somewhat close to the measurements of the FU car (after weeks of working with it, that's what I'm calling it now, lol) and edited them heavily to fit so the animations are aligned. It's not ideal because the FU car has such a long overhang and short cabin but it's decent enough for now so I can focus on the script.

Edited: forgot to attach the file
Attached files:
File Type: zip  olomaya.biglemon.animated.zip (5.92 MB, 7 downloads)