Replies: 704 (Who?), Viewed: 179706 times.
Page 29 of 29
Theorist
#701 Old 22nd Nov 2021 at 4:42 PM
The Haunting in Connecticut (2009) - 5/10
Not to be confused with A Haunting in Connecticut (2002), from two posts above, this motion picture version is gorier, but not overall better. I think the TV version might be a bit more suspenseful, and not just because I knew what to expect with this one. I think it's because what the TV version has in suspense, the movie version has in gore, because they probably can't show as much of the latter on TV. I give this one the same rating.
Lab Assistant
#702 Old 23rd Nov 2021 at 12:41 AM
Apex (2021) - 1/10

Boring, Has been done many times before with much better results.
I am a Bruce Willis fan, But in this he does nothing but walk through some woods on an island with a few crazy people who are out to kill him for sport.
They kill themselves while Bruce is getting high on berries he found and that's about it.
Lab Assistant
#703 Old 24th Nov 2021 at 5:14 PM
The Breaker Upperers (New Zealand, 2018) 10/10 for this joke:

"- Just because I don't have a boyfriend does not mean I'm gay!
- I'm just saying, you already live together, you might want to consider it.
- I'm not sure it's something you can actually consider, Shoz. I think it's more like something you're born with, like, a genetic mutation, like X-men, but, like, in vaginas.
Like, boom (forming an X with arms), Vulvarine!"

Ah, I love Wolverine.
Test Subject
#704 Old 26th Nov 2021 at 7:37 PM
Moon (2009)
9/10
This movie was amazing. Sam Rockwell really plays the main character well (or should I say characters without spoiling too much)
It was truly a hidden gem for me as I didn't expect much of it as it was a movie made with just 5 million dollars.
Theorist
#705 Old 27th Nov 2021 at 7:42 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : Yesterday at 2:05 AM.
Something Wicked This Way Comes (1983) - 1/10
In a small American town, a diabolical circus and its demonic proprietor prey on the townsfolk.

Something stupid this way comes. The premise of this "Mystery Thriller" never grabbed me, which is why I never watched it until now - and I really had to force myself to see it through, over the course of three evenings. Ughh. Just goes to show how bored I am sometimes.
It's set in the 1920's, an era I find decidedly uninteresting. The fashions are ugly, the technology is ugly - cars, telephones, radios, etc. - and American small town society still has many of the trappings of the late 19th century, with gas-lit streetlights and some homes still using candle power. After all, this was just 50 years after cowboys on horseback still rode through most towns in the Midwest and West. Just an ugly era, in my opinion, in many different ways.
Another thing that irritates me is that this is one of the countless movies of the 1980's that had child characters that were smarter than the adults, which is why I've never watched E.T., The Goonies, Poltergeist or similar Spielberg garbage. In this movie, this is exacerbated by the Jason Robards character, a septuagenarian, or nearly so, who is the father of a 10-year-old boy. Now, just doing the simple math means that the father character was around 60 years old when the boy was born, presumably to a woman of child-bearing age, so no more that 40 at most. That's a 20-year age difference between husband and wife, if not more if she was younger. In order to make the plot work, they needed an old man with a very young son, but the somewhat weirdness of it really irritates me.
Then there's Jason Robards, one of the most overrated actors, in my opinion. Every movie I've ever seen him in he plays the same, plodding, monotoned, excruciatingly boring characters. I'm really starting to despise this guy.
Robards is similar to Jack Klugman in this regard, who, no matter what type of character he played, always came out as Oscar Effing Madison, from the Odd Couple TV show - very irritating to see. Even before The Odd Couple, he exuded Oscar Madison when he was in a few Twilight Zone episodes, always reverting to the same obnoxious demeanor and mannerisms. Maybe Klugman's excuse was that he had a face like a chewed piece of bubble gum, so he was never suited to play a leading role opposite a beautiful woman, or any woman really. I can't think of a single example of him kissing a woman on screen. The mere thought is cringe-inducing and at once laughable. Even in real life he was married to a hag, although she at least had a pleasant personality and sense of humor. Oh well, tough luck on him and I'm digressing anyway.
Anyway, this movie sucks.

Why always the long effing face?
He'd probably make a good match
for Sarah Jessica Parker.
Page 29 of 29