Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#26 Old 6th May 2008 at 11:44 PM
Yay, I'm glad you joined Issy! Your entry looks great! I love the bedroom and little girls room (I use most of that furniture for my own little girls lol)
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#27 Old 7th May 2008 at 2:01 PM
Very awesome entry, Issy! Now we're down to needing 4 contestants. I will probably extend the deadline for applications to Sunday, to help that issue out.

You can keep your knight in shining armor. I'll take my country boy in turn-out gear!
Proud single mom, firefighter's girl, and beautifully imperfect person.
Avatar is me (tall girl), my Abbi (short girl in hat), and my boyfriend James (lone man) at Abbi's Kindergarten Graduation last May.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 7th May 2008 at 3:22 PM
i'd love love love to participate in this but i don't have my desktop right now [with my Sims stuff..]

if i go back home by then, or if i get my desktop here, i'd LOVE to. :]
#29 Old 7th May 2008 at 4:45 PM
Love the entry Issy!
#30 Old 7th May 2008 at 8:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chelleypie
Very awesome entry, Issy! Now we're down to needing 4 contestants. I will probably extend the deadline for applications to Sunday, to help that issue out.

It would be great if you could do that as I've only just seen this but I'm at work tomorrow and I'm really interested in joining
Test Subject
#31 Old 7th May 2008 at 9:00 PM
Question: Is it okay if (for the room designed for a client) I use a room I put pictures of in the Favorite Rooms thread?
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 7th May 2008 at 9:31 PM
Just to let you know, I'm entering tomorrow, jyst need to take pictures of my sim's office - I've been waiting for a contest like this for some time now =) And btw. The entries look great so far!
Instructor
Original Poster
#33 Old 8th May 2008 at 2:00 AM
Yes. The applications will now be extended until Sunday NIGHT. Really Monday morning, because I will be with my little one on Sunday as it's Mother's Day in the US.

And so far as I know, using a room that's already in favorite rooms is okay. I've never heard otherwise.

You can keep your knight in shining armor. I'll take my country boy in turn-out gear!
Avatar is me (tall girl), my Abbi (short girl in hat), and my boyfriend James (lone man) at Abbi's Kindergarten Graduation last May.
Test Subject
#34 Old 8th May 2008 at 4:50 AM
Default Application
Name: Carolyn Green

How did you start designing? Growing up, my mother was constantly changing/perfecting the layout and design of our house, so from an early age I was exposed to design techniques. Eventually I convinced her to let me help pick fabrics, wallpaper, that sort of thing; I suppose that was the start of my life's work! I've since teamed up with an architecture graduate friend, Jim Adams. He and I have a small office downtown (Adams&Green, 105 7th Ave if you'd like to stop by!); I handle most of the interior design needs of our clients, he does most of the exterior and structural work. Although we do switch or work together on some projects.

How do you describe your personal design style? Elegant and inviting. Generally I go for rich fabrics, textures, and colors--I'm currently addicted to burgundies, greens, golds, and dark woods. But my style goes through phases (last year, for example, I was into everything nautical), so my tastes are pretty diverse.

The Office: Since Adams&Green is right in the heart of Sim City, parking can be hard to come by, making most of our clients either arrive super early or run in just in time. For those early birds who still have time after checking in with our secretary, I designed a little waiting area, with framed architecture prints hanging on the wall and some catalogues on the end table for inspiration.

Here is where we show clients our plans and previous works. (My desk is the one with interior design magazines everywhere.)

And lastly, this room off of our main office is where I get most of my work done. You can see my fabric addiction is starting to overwhelm my workspace.

Previous Work: My last major client was a company that rents out beachfront houses and condos. They wanted me to design a few beachy, airy condos. Here's the living room and dining area of one.

My Bedroom: I've always wanted a sort of romantic getaway feel for our bedroom, but my husband "put his foot down" and insisted we not have anything too feminine. So I like to think this was a nice compromise: the woods and outlines are rustic and masculine, but the color choices and accents (the candles, elegant curtains, and framed flower prints) brighten the room and add that romantic touch.

Instructor
Original Poster
#35 Old 8th May 2008 at 2:46 PM
Thanks, blueforred! Great entry!

#36 Old 8th May 2008 at 4:36 PM
Eeek, I'm getting scared. Great entry blueforred!
Field Researcher
#37 Old 9th May 2008 at 12:22 AM
Default Audrey DeBarbarak's Application

What’s your name? Audrey Hera DeBarbarak

Your occupation? Interior Designer

Your age? Twenty-one

Where are you from? New York, New York

How did you start designing? I graduated Summa Cum Laude from Sim State University with a degree in Art, and immediately after I took a job with Branson and Associates, an architecture firm here in New York. I’ve been working as an Interior Designer for eight months now, and I love it.

How do you describe your personal design style? I definitely have an eclectic sense of style; I love working with bright colors and fun patterns, but I balance them with clean lines and traditional styles of furniture. A lot of times my designs are influenced by the sixties and the seventies, but I also love incorporating different themes from around the world.

The Interior Design Office at Branson and Associates is messy, cramped and has a tendency of getting really loud at times, but it's become a second home to me. I thrive off the background noise while I'm working on a project, and I definitely benefit from working in such close quarters with so many talented sims. I'm still considered a newbie, so working in a communal environment has helped me learn a lot.

I spend the majority of my time in the office at my desk, working on sketches and fleshing out design ideas.

When I'm not at the office I'm out meeting clients, supervising renovations or doing the leg work part of my job, that is, hoofing it around the city looking for that perfect piece of furniture, like the vintage radio used in this room. It took me three days of searching every antique store in the Villiage but I finally found it, and the effort was completely worth it. This renovation was my favorite because it was for a friend, and she's absolutely ecstatic about the way it turned out.

And finally, for the rare times I am home, I can usually be found in this room. Sleeping!

[IntrepidLlama's note: I hope this is alright! I didn't see a limit to how much I could type but if this runs overly long, please let me know! I'd be happy to shorten it.]
Instructor
Original Poster
#38 Old 9th May 2008 at 2:20 AM
Thanks, IntrepidLlama! Applications will not be judged, they're just to show us all what you can do!

#39 Old 9th May 2008 at 4:55 AM
Default App. Tiffany "Koolaid" Burns
Be back with pics

What’s your name? Tiffany "Koolaid" Burns

Your occupation? Interior and Graphic Designer. Im also a work at home mom.

Your age? 22

Where are you from? T-Town(Toledo) Ohio

How did you start designing? When i was younger i was watching a tv show with my mother call Divine Desing. They were making over a bedroom in a moder style. The end look was soo Great that i looked to my mother and told her" one day I will do that." And ever sence then i have been workign twords that.

How do you describe your personal design style? I would have to say that my style is one that mixes Modern and retro . Yes i know there opposites, But i love the colors and feel of modern but yet the funkness of retro
Instructor
Original Poster
#40 Old 9th May 2008 at 2:18 PM
I'll put you on the list after you post pics.

I'll be in the pool tonight with my daughter for a while, then I'll come check the thread.

#41 Old 9th May 2008 at 7:06 PM
My application should be up tomorrow!
Instructor
Original Poster
#42 Old 9th May 2008 at 11:57 PM
YAY! That will give us enough. Just be sure your entries are all complete and in by Sunday! If need be, I'll extend it one more time to Monday.

#43 Old 10th May 2008 at 9:18 PM
Default Jaimee Liddell - Application
What’s your name? Jaimee Liddell

Your age? 23

Where are you from? London, UK

How did you start designing?

I fell into designing my accident really. I don't even have any Art or Design qualifications to my name. I spent my teen years in and out different of foster homes and was never really in one house long enough to call it my home. When I was 16 and able to move out into my own place it really meant something and although it was just a tiny little studio flat decorating and making it my own was something I put a lot of effort into. I really enjoyed finding appropriate pieces even if they were mostly from thrift stores or Camden Market.

My friends loved what I'd done with the place and started asking me for design tips for their own home. I was working as a waitress at the time and came up with a great idea to earn more money. I set up a website called Liddell Living where people who couldn't afford to have an interior designer come out and design their entire room for them would consult with me via email, giving me a budget and theme etc and I would suggest appropriate pieces and colour schemes to them for a fee.

The website really took off and one of my clients turned out to be related to Kate Williams, an actress in a top rated British soap opera. Kate asked me to design a nursery for her new baby from scratch myself rather than just give her tips via email. I did it thinking it would probably be a one off but when Kate's daughter Scarlett was born Hello magazine did an "At Home With..." spread featuring lots of photos of Kate and Scarlett in the nursery I had designed!

Suddenly I was inundated with requests from celebrities and wealthy professionals to provide them with a full service and so my business expanded. 5 years later I still give tips via my website but my main source of work is designing rooms from scratch,

How do you describe your personal design style? A modern contradiction. I like clean lines and neutral palettes with unique twists, splashes of bold colour and subtle hints of quirky patterns.

My Office.

My office is above a couture furnishings store in the centre of London. When client's first arrive I like to leave them to browse the design magazines in the waiting area for a few minutes in case anything inspires them.

The desk area of my office is where I do most of the website consultancy.

This seating area is where I get to know my clients and get a feel for their style.

If I need to present my designs to clients I set them up on the work desk in this area.

All my creative work is done in the design room which leads off my office through glass doors.

A room I designed

I designed this dining stroke relax room for a young professional couple who had just bought this villa overlooking Miami Beach. They wanted something light, spacious and appropriate for the area but they didn't want to go overboard with a full on beach theme.

My bedroom.

After a hard days designing there's nothing I like more than relaxing with a magazine or playing on my wii. My room is a combination of many pieces I've picked up over the years I've been designing.

Lab Assistant
#44 Old 10th May 2008 at 10:16 PM
Default Beate Broberg - application
Application Round

Name: Beate Broberg
Occupation: I work at an office as a secretary, but I use all my sparetime on freelance-decorating.
Start designing? It started out not that many years ago, when I moved away from home as 18-year old, I decorated my own appartment and got very interested in interior-design and began decorating in my sparetime.
Personal design style: I love using bold colours, colours in general. I love making interesting walls and floors.

Headshot:

My homeoffice.

A Diningroom I've designed for my sister and her husband. They asked for a classy, kinda luxurious room.

Me in my bedroom, with my two cats, Charlotte and Sofus, Charlotte is pregnant!

#45 Old 10th May 2008 at 11:38 PM
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I am very excited to see more applications, and can't wait for the first round of this. You are all so talented. :D
Instructor
Original Poster
#46 Old 11th May 2008 at 1:46 AM
Thanks, Sawcarn! I'll add her to the list. That leaves us with TWO applicants with no pictures. Please have them in by Monday morning. I'll be working all week, so the only time I'll be able to pop in at this point is in the evenings like this, while Abbi is in the bath.

#47 Old 11th May 2008 at 8:29 AM
What's your name?
Chloe Chanelle
What's your occupation?
Profressional Interior Designer, specializing in high-end residential homes
What's your age?
Where are you from?
Pleasantview
How did you start designing?
I graduated high school at the age of 16, and went on to study mathematics at Sim State University. After completing my bachelor degree there, I decided I needed an adventure. So I went all the way to Veronaville to continue my studies. The great architecture of the city inspired me to study art and design. However, I continued to study math just for fun, finally earning a doctorate degree. I have just recently started my own design firm, and rent out a small office in Sim City.
How would you describe your personal style?
My style is a mix of vintage and modern, with just a touch of funky flare. I love bright colors, bold floral prints, and as much sunshine as I can get.

My Headshot

My Office

A Room I've Designed

Shortly after starting my small firm, Nina Caliente approached me to redecorate her bedroom. She is expecting a new addition to the family, and wanted a room that would indulge her romantic sensabilities, while being child friendly.

My Bedroom
I often nap in my chaise lounge after a long day at work, or I might just catch up on my latest mathematic journals.

#48 Old 11th May 2008 at 6:49 PM
_OnTheRocks_: I love Nina's room! *rushes off to copy*
Scholar
#49 Old 11th May 2008 at 8:34 PM
Default Application - Adz Burnett
Headshot

My Office

A room I designed - my living room

My Bedroom

What’s your name
? Adz Burnett
Your age? 28
Where are you from? Scotland
How did you start designing? I studied Interior Design at college then set up my own business.
How do you describe your personal design style? A bit Bohemian.
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 11th May 2008 at 8:40 PM
I've never done a design contest before.
I think I'll give it a shot. This should be interesting lol. :P

Page 2 of 8