Quick Reply
Search this Thread
#26 Old 18th Aug 2008 at 5:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FurryPanda
Apps are due for points by 8:12 GMT-4.
Round One will be posted sometime in between 8:15 and 8:30. All times are in GMT-4.

Ok, so it's 12pm for you right now?

If so, that means I have plenty of time. :D

EDIT: Woo, I've finished in time.

Ok, so here's my app. It's probably not what you'd expect for a contest like this. I was aiming for a darker, more realistic fairytale, rather than the stereotypical cheerful kind.

----

Name: Valentine [Ace] Tyler
Setting: New York City, USA, circa 1950

Ok, listen up. If you’re looking for some silly little fairytale about princesses, dragons and fairies, then you’ve come to the wrong place. I’m about the farthest thing from a knight in shining armor, and I’m not about to run off to slay some crazy monster to save some stupid little kingdom on sugar candy mountain, or any of that crap. The story I’m about to tell you is reality. Cold, hard, brutal reality. And boy, does it make one hell of a story. So if you could just ignore Mother Goose, or whatever the hell her name is, for a little while and start listening to a real human, then maybe you’ll learn what it really means to live “happily ever after.”

‘Scuse my little rant up there. I don’t think I’ve introduced myself. The name’s Valentine, but folks round here call me Ace. Call my by my real name and I’ll beat your face in; I’m not even kidding. My dumb-as-dirt parents thought it’d be clever to give their kid some fancy name, probably to make up for the fact they were about as broke as it gets. It didn’t make a single difference. They might as well have called me Oliver Twist, or something.

[[Headshot]]

Alright, I’ll just make all the long, boring history crap quick, so we can get to the good stuff. To make a long story short, the two nincompoops I mentioned up there put me through 17 miserable years of school, until I got the guts to drop out. Ok, so maybe I got kicked out, but I was planning on leaving myself anyway. My folks pretty much deserted me after my eighteenth birthday rolled around, and I had no place to go from there. Y’see, I’m not the kind of guy who’s all into that working business, so I couldn’t be bothered to get a job. Waste of my time, as I see it. So I spend most of my time with my poker buddies, to rack up some cash every now and then. I’m the best poker player you’ll ever meet, no kidding. That’s how I got my nickname, after all. I might as well have been a pickpocket, I was so good at stealing the money right out of those fools’ wallets on a bluff.

Cards obviously don't cover all my expenses, and I don’t have enough dough to buy me my own place. So I just kick back outside the bar, and let the world hit me as it goes. I’m not a real picky person, so I don’t mind it out there, really.

[[Bodyshot]]

When I’m not out with the guys, I’m normally out cruising the town, loitering and all that good stuff. Life’s pretty damn easy when you’re homeless; and that’s a fact. Plus, most of the time one of the guys will let me kick back on their couch for the night, which is just as good as any old crumby apartment. But if they have their lady friends over for the night, I have to go back to alley to get some shut-eye, but it’s not as bad as it sounds, y’know.

[[Freeshot]]

That’s another thing I’ve never been any good with; the ladies. Me and girls have never seen eye-to-eye, and most of ‘em think I’m a slob, anyway. Hah, what do I care? I don’t need me a chick. Just another mouth to feed.

At least, that’s what I thought up until a few weeks ago. That’s when everything changed.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 18th Aug 2008 at 11:38 PM
Blast The Stereo :O nice entry.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#28 Old 18th Aug 2008 at 11:47 PM
Blast the Stereo: Love it! thanks so much for applying, and I will add your name to the list now. I can tell that yours is gonna be a great read, I'm much looking forward to seeing how you do in the rest of the contest!

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#29 Old 19th Aug 2008 at 1:24 AM
Default Round One: The Prize at the End of the Quest
Want. The primary force for everyone is want. The nobler brand of hero wants to protect the people of his kingdom, the more common type wants to marry the princess and bring wealth for himself, and the ones that are questionable as heros want to take the gold, the kingdom, and not wind up attached to the princess. Gotta love those questionable heros.

So, for your fairy tale, what is your hero/heroine striving for? Do they want to save thier town, marry the prince/princess, get lots of money, get away from their annoying parents, get a puppy, or something else?

In this round you will need to tell what your hero is struggling toward, and why they want it. Include at least three pictures, and no more than eight.

BONUS:
Every hero needs a little help sometimes. Whether this help is in the form of a sidekick, a magical doohickey, or something else, tell us a bit about what kind of help your hero may have on his/her quest. Include at least two pictures, and no more than five for the bonus.

Any questions, ask in the thread or PM me.
As for scoring for the apps, since I only have three apps, it will be bonus points. The application round will be worth twenty bonus points, and they will be added to scores only if the score is less than 100/100 including the bonus task for that round.

Applications will still be taken through Round One.

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#30 Old 19th Aug 2008 at 4:10 AM
Sorry for the triple post, but I realized I hadn't posted the full judging criteria... meant to do this much earlier.

Creativity: /20
Storytelling: /40
Pictures: /30
Followed Round: /10

Creativity: Is the entry original? Is the general idea clever? Do the pictures look like they required significant creative work to make? Does the story seem to be different from ones that've been done to death?

Storytelling: Is their story coherent? Is it interesting and does it seem like the sort of thing that can develop?

Pictures: Are the pictures aesthetically pleasing? Does the scenery work with where the characters are supposed to be? Do the pictures compliment the story?

Following Round: varies

#31 Old 19th Aug 2008 at 2:43 PM
My scores are in! Good luck everyone.
Top Secret Researcher
#32 Old 19th Aug 2008 at 2:44 PM
Mine are in as well.

I would like to clear up the little matter of my sanity as it has come into question. I am not in any way, shape, or form, sane. Insane? Hell yes!

People keep calling me 'evil.' I must be doing something right.

SilentPsycho - The Official MTS2 Psycho
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#33 Old 19th Aug 2008 at 4:35 PM
Default Application Scores
As I explained above, these thirty points will be general bonus points available to you for the rest of the contest. The round scores are averaged, and are rounded up.

Hazel Spruce
Judge 1:

Hazel Spruce
Creativity: 4/6
Storytelling: 3/12
Pictures: 6/9
Followed Round: 3/3
Comments: There really isn’t much of a story to this one. Work on expanding the story a bit more in order to score higher. Your picture composition was good, although it could be improved more by placing decorative objects in the forground.
Total: 16/30
Judge 2:
Creativity: 6/6
Storytelling: 12/12
Pictures: 9/9
Followed Round: 2/3
Comments: I wish you would've told us a little more about Hazel's life and history, and more about the village. It's okay if you want to save it for later rounds, but a little foreshadowing or allusion to what is to come would've been nice. Otherwise, very creative! I love that she's already married! Great pics!
Total:29/30
Judge 3:
Pictures: 8/9
Headshot is not a headshot in the true sense.
Total: 29/30
Grand Total: 74/90
Score: 25/30

Robin Fields
Judge 1:

Creativity: 4/6
Storytelling: 5/12
Pictures: 4/9
Comments: There really isn’t much of a story to this one. Work on expanding the story a bit more in order to score higher. Also, I wouldn’t crop pictures like that as it took away a lot of potential for higher marks in the pictures section. Focus a lot more on the backgrounds of your pictures, the bedroom scene is fairly bland.
Total: 16/30
Judge 2:
Pictures: 6/9
Followed Round: 2/3
Comments: Again, a little more in the bio would've been nice. What happened to his mother? What brought about the witches? Has it always been this way? Also, I'd like to see some more creative backgrounds in your pictures. Otherwise, great story line! I can't wait to see how things end up with his sister and the witches.
Total: 26/30
Judge 3
Creativity: 5/6
Total: 29/30
Grand Total:71/90
Score: 24/30

Valentine (Ace) Tyler:
Judge 1:

Storytelling: 11/12
Pictures: 8/9
Comments:Great entry! Definitely original, and you really get a feel for his character. I love the backgrounds, nicely details, although a variety of location would have been better.
Total: 28/30
Judge 2
Comments: This is the kind of biography I wanted to see. Something detailed, giving me a history, and some suspense in the end. Interesting pictures, and beautiful storytelling.
Total: 30/30
Judge 3:
Total: 30/30
Grand Total: 88/90
Score: 30/30

#34 Old 19th Aug 2008 at 5:41 PM
Oh, wow.

Are you for real?

I'm completely and totally flattered, guys.

Thanks soooo much. :D
#35 Old 20th Aug 2008 at 4:04 PM
Sorry to double post, but it's been a while since my last post.

I was just wondering if in the event that we don't get any more applications, or just one or two, will the contest still continue with the three of us?
#36 Old 20th Aug 2008 at 4:08 PM
It's against the rules, Blast the Stereo. A contest must have a minimum of ten contestants. I really hope more people join.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#37 Old 20th Aug 2008 at 4:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Blast the Stereo
Sorry to double post, but it's been a while since my last post.

I was just wondering if in the event that we don't get any more applications, or just one or two, will the contest still continue with the three of us?

No.
As is prominently displayed in the contest rules, there need to be 10 applicants for a contest to go out of application stage. It would be a bit fruitless to have a competition with only three contestants. If five more people apply I will talk with bP about it, but as of right now (11:12AM GMT-4) we need seven more people to apply for the contest to continue.

However, a bunch of people told me they would apply in PM. I may get in touch with them again sometime in the next few days.

#38 Old 20th Aug 2008 at 7:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FurryPanda
No.
As is prominently displayed in the contest rules, there need to be 10 applicants for a contest to go out of application stage. It would be a bit fruitless to have a competition with only three contestants. If five more people apply I will talk with bP about it, but as of right now (11:12AM GMT-4) we need seven more people to apply for the contest to continue.

However, a bunch of people told me they would apply in PM. I may get in touch with them again sometime in the next few days.

Ok.

I hope this pulls through. D:
#39 Old 22nd Aug 2008 at 4:55 PM
Right i am going to try and get an entry in but i will be away for 2 days so does this mean i will not have enough time to get in and application and round one???
Sorry i haven't put an application in sooner i have been really with school at the mo!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#40 Old 22nd Aug 2008 at 7:11 PM
Nicole- Since you told me in advance I'm more than willing to let you have a small extension, especially since I really need apps and you should be back in time anyway. So yes, you can apply after you get back.

#41 Old 24th Aug 2008 at 7:31 PM
Default Poppy Hill - App
Character's Name: Poppy Hill
Character's Age: 16 years
A little bit about her world: This story is set in a land far away from here called Moonorana. It is a very peaceful place and always brings the good side out of people.
Short biography: Poppy was brought up by her mum. She has never known her dad but has always wanted to meet him.

-Headshot-

-Bodyshot-

-freeshot-

This is one of poppy and her mums favourite places to go - The Wishing Well

Hope this is okay please tell me if anything needs changed
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 24th Aug 2008 at 10:39 PM
Is there a certain time tommorow that round 1 will be closed? Because, I'm gonna try to work on it tonight and, I will most likely finish it tommorow night.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#43 Old 25th Aug 2008 at 1:48 AM
Due to logistical concerns (namely I don't ahve enough applicants) I'm moving everything back another few days.... and then if I still don't then I'll arrange to have this closed. So anytime really... unless five people (other than you) apply and get round one up before 8o'clock GMT-4.

Top Secret Researcher
#44 Old 25th Aug 2008 at 10:03 PM
i hope this contest dos'nt have to close. i wish i could pull out as ej and apply but i have no time to get ingame till about 5pm(uk time) tomorrow, plus i don't know if you would allow me to pull out being ej and apply -
I hope you get more apps!

Previously known as 'simcharley1990'
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#45 Old 26th Aug 2008 at 2:14 AM
Charely- I'm moving all the dates back three days, and so far the regular judges have been excellent in keeping up with things, so if you do want to apply, I have no objections. I really hope this gets more apps as well, ah well, three days for it. And no one's put up thier round one either, which is another problem entirely.

All dates are being moved back three days. Round One and Apps will close August 28.

Top Secret Researcher
#46 Old 26th Aug 2008 at 7:53 PM
ok thanks i'll either do it tonight or tomorrow as i don't think i'm busy.. but i wont be on for 29th or 20th because my birthday and stuff so if anything's wrong i'll just have to loose points ... i now have just got to think of a idea for story...

also i put link in my siggy so people see it and hopfully enter! hope thats 'kay

Lab Assistant
#47 Old 27th Aug 2008 at 1:27 AM
Default The Prize At The End Of The Quest
It took me awhile, but I finally finished round 1. I hope this contest pulls through, I love it. Sorry if it is too long I get carried away with these types of things...

Once upon a time, in a land not so far away, lived Robin Fields, and his family. They lived in a small cabin at the edge of Soville Hill. Everything about this family was normal, until his sister Katie, changed, she started wearing darker clothing, darker makeup, and became distant from the rest of the family. Robin, who had been close to Katie all his life, knew something was wrong.

“Dad, we need to talk, now.” Robin mumbled as he stepped out of his bedroom. His dad mumbled something under his breath, and put his newspaper down. “Come and sit here.” He stated calmly.

“Dad… have you noticed, uh…changes in Katie?” Robin stuttered trying to find the right words. “Yeah”. “Well, don’t ya find it weird?” Robin questioned. “No, she’s just going through a phase, all girls do at one point.” His dad replied, not seeming too concerned.

Robin shot up from the couch “A PHASE? DAD, LOOK AT HER, SHE IS ACTING WEIRD, DRESSING WEIRD, AND… WHAT IF SHE’S WITH THE WITCHES?” He screamed. “You actually believe in that witches crap? Son, there’s no such thing as witches, they are just…” “Dad, it’s a possibility.” His dad chuckled under his breath, “Why don’t you go and talk to your sister, then you’ll see she’s not a witch.”

Robin sighed, and went into his bedroom, which he and his sister shared, but to his surprise, his sister wasn’t there. She must have climbed out the window while he was gone for that short amount of time. He didn’t want to tell his dad, because he knew that he would just come up with some lame excuse like “Oh, maybe she’s at her friends.” So, he just sat in his room and awaited his sister’s return.

About an hour into his wait, he dozed off. But, his sleep didn’t last long, as he was awoken by someone walking into the room.

It was his sister, carrying a weird book in her hand. What book is that? Robin thought, going through all the books he could remember from the bookcase. He hadn’t seen that book before, and he decided that tomorrow morning he would. He closed his eyes, hoping his sister didn’t see him awake, and quickly fell asleep.

The next morning, like every other morning for the past 10 years, Robin got up and made his family breakfast. And, every morning for the past ten years, Katie, his dad and himself would eat breakfast together. But, that day the tradition was broken.

Robin sat there, moving his spoon around the cereal pieces. Thinking. Thinking about his sister, and how she changed so drastically over the past few weeks, thinking about the book he saw her with last night, and wondering why she skipped breakfast.

“Son, you have barely touched your cereal, what’s wrong?” His father asked as he did the dishes. “Nothing.” Robin replied staring down at his cereal. “Is this about Katie?’’

"Kinda.” Robin said, even though he knew “kinda” wasn’t the word. More like “YES”. His father turned around, facing his son wiping his hands with the dish cloth. “Like I said before son, changes, if your mother…” Robin cut him off “Dad, don’t bring mom into this…” His mother had recently passed, about a year ago, but that’s another story to tell.
“Like I was saying, she’s going through changes. Don’t worry, she’ll get it over it.”

Robin disappointingly, walked out of the kitchen, and he decided that he was going to find that book that Katie had last night, and he had a hunch that that book would have a clue on what Katie had been doing.

And, being the typical annoying little brother that he was. He knew exactly where the book was, under her mattress. She always hid stuff from him under there, ever since their pre-teen years.

Robin lifted the mattress, and pulled out the book. He then sat on the edge of his bed, and attempted to read it. But, realized that it was in some type of foreign language that he could not understand. And, he knew that if he didn’t understand it, Katie wouldn’t. They grew up in the same school system, that only taught English and French, and he was sure as hell that Katie hadn’t learned this language in a few weeks, she still barely understands French, and that’s after years of people attempting to teach her.

Bonus

A few days after the book finding incident, Robin still wasn’t closer to finding what was wrong with his sister. So, he went for a walk to clear his mind.

But, this walk only made him think more. What can I do? He kept on saying in his mind. It was basically a chant going on in his mind, he sat on the ground, and chanted that phrase over and over again. “What can I do?” “What can I do?” Then, after about 10 minutes, of that same phrase going off in his mind, something caught his eye. Somebody was in an abandoned shack near the side of Soville forest!

It was Katie! He couldn’t mistake that tacky black bun from a mile away. Quickly, Robin got up, and ran home.

When he returned, his dad told him that his best friend, Joseph came over and was waiting for him in the kitchen.

“Hey man, what’s up?” Robin said as he walked into the room. “Not much, you?” Joseph responded. “A lot…” Robin mumbled as he got himself a chair and sat at the table with Joseph. “I think Katie is a witch.” Joseph laughed. “You’re worried about the “witches””.

“ That’s what dad said…” Robin responded “but, you gotta see this book, be right back.” Robin ran into his bedroom and got the book out of his sisters mattress. “Here” He said upon his return. “I can’t understand it.” Joseph said as he flipped through the pages. “Exactly, so, are you going to help me?”

Tina9340

Simmer for life. xP
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#48 Old 27th Aug 2008 at 1:42 AM
Gorgeous work, I'll update the list now,a nd thanks so much for actually getting your round one up! I hope this pulls through too, oh well, two more days before I have to close it.

Top Secret Researcher
#49 Old 27th Aug 2008 at 10:36 PM
sorry i hav'nt posted anything - i know i was'nt a full participant but i kinda feel bad jus letting you hang... i was really busy today i had to get everything ready for my party and then i had to see my friend woh i hav'nt seen for 5 weeks, but tomorrow i've got a free day so if i can finally think of a idea i will get started but i might not apply becuase my school is staring up again and its a really important year for me so i don't think i'd be able to give this contest my 100%, i think about it, sorry guys but even if i did apply you would still have to close beucase only 3 other apps so its not all down to me.

Lab Assistant
#50 Old 29th Aug 2008 at 10:03 AM
i want to donate a prize and just want to know if there's anything in particular that you would want.

Page 2 of 3