Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 1st Jun 2008 at 3:25 AM
Hey duderocks. Great contest!! I have a quick question. Do you have to show the Curious family living in the house? as I killed them off a while back. could i just have no people in my house shots? is that ok?
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#52 Old 1st Jun 2008 at 3:31 AM
No, you don't have to have people there, as it's mostly a building and designing contest.
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 1st Jun 2008 at 5:05 AM
Application - Martin Thompson
Right I have re done my entry now. I hope the pics are better. I know they are not top notch but i think its my graphics card that is letting me down.

Name of designer: Martin Thompson
Speciality: nothing really, new to interior design, likes kitchens though
Expansion packs: Nightlife,Open for Bussiness and seasons. No stuff packs

Head shot of Designer:

Ok so When I saw the Curious household, I thought to myself that they needed something more modern. They are certainly a strange family and to make sure they stayed that way, most of the structure was kept. Infact all that was added were two small extensions; 1 downstairs for the bathroom. and 1 upstairs windowed room to allow as a science HQ for the boys to have fun in.

Here is an overview of the whole house:

Next is the floorplan(sorry it is not very high quality) showing how I have opened up most of the living space downstairs to make the room seem much larger. This really helps to make it more of a family home, and by removing the Old bathroom and walls the space made a nice living/dining room.

The Living room consists mainly of this cubic sofa which means all members of the family can gather and enjoy family bonding.

Here is a more general shot of the now opened up space downstairs:

Along with the Living/dining room, I needed to update the already modern kitchen with new counters that complemented the floorboards. I like the idea of having an island bar so simply left that there and just changed the workktops.

Here is the science room that has been added to the second story. It is perfect for keeping the boys entertained whilst giving them a chillout zone for enjoying their favourite hobby

And finally one last shot of the backyard, which still has an area where a barbeque can be held as well as implementing some new plants and statues. I also added lights to the pathways to make it seem less dark and daunting.

I really enjoyed making over the curious household and feel that it has gained more warmth as a result of the more subtle tones and wood flooring throughout.

I hope that i have done everything as i should if not tell me and i will put it right.
Instructor
Original Poster
#54 Old 1st Jun 2008 at 5:24 AM
simsimsims, I'll add you to the list, but please make your pictures bigger (and increase the picture quality options) of your pictures. Minimum is 500x450. I will ask the regular judges to comment on the apps so all contestants will know where to improve.

and kindly change the headshot as well, plain background please.

FOR THOSE WHO WOLD LIKE TO JOIN: Please indicate which EPs and SPs you have (added to application requirements).
Forum Resident
#55 Old 1st Jun 2008 at 6:05 AM
I'm working on it I swear... I don't have my computer tonight but I WILL have it tomarrow afternoon and it WILL get in then

~*I'm a she*~
The Booty calls to you, you cannot resist it
I use Target and Kodak Gallery for my pictures, you should too... :D
My MTS2|Livejournal|Yearbook|Facebook
Instructor
Original Poster
#56 Old 1st Jun 2008 at 6:21 AM
No problem. Hopefully, we will get a decent amount of contestants (10-15) by tomorrow. If not, apps will extend to round 1.
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 1st Jun 2008 at 8:25 AM
Default Application~ Curious House~Shannen Buttagig
Name of Designer: Shannen Buttagig (slightly tweaked female version of Noel byPeachT @dlmuslow)
Specialties: Bathrooms, dining rooms
EPs and SPs i have: All expansions. Holiday stuff, TSS, FFS, GLS.

This past week i have made over the curious house. This proved move difficult than i had expected, particularly the landscaping, but i'm always up for a challenge.
Since there are 3 men living in this home who are very much space geeks i tried to stay with the theme. Modern, tech, masculan. Clean lines, very sterile, very Sci Fi.

The house structure is similar to that of a space lab.

Aerial Veiw

Living area and work stations. Robot thingy is made from the robot making station.

Bedrooms x 4 inc Nursery (Giraffe matches the one on top of TSS cupboard)

Bathrooms x 2

Kitchen: Ugly as it is, this is exactly what i'd expect to see in a techno freaks home.

Dining

Difficult to get good shots with the odd angles of the house.

I think everything else is just recoloured maxis.
Instructor
Original Poster
#58 Old 1st Jun 2008 at 8:29 AM
great entry, starwyn! Added your avi on the avvies post.
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 1st Jun 2008 at 12:39 PM
Thanks. I hope there will be more entries soon. Which house is next? I might get a start on it.
Instructor
Original Poster
#60 Old 1st Jun 2008 at 1:56 PM
I will give the house to work on as soon as apps finish. There will be some requirements and a particular decorating style to be followed, so better wait until I give the house so your efforts will not be wasted.
Instructor
#61 Old 1st Jun 2008 at 2:11 PM
thanks romy for that site info. I so didn't feel like putting strangetown back in my game so this is a better compromise for me.
Field Researcher
#62 Old 1st Jun 2008 at 4:22 PM
I would like to join this. At first I was iffy because I'm not too good at decorating with maxis only stuff, but I figured why not if I can get the app done. I hope more contestants join! How many do you need as a minimum?

Also, so you can use any custom wall/floor you want? Or am I misreading that?
Instructor
Original Poster
#63 Old 1st Jun 2008 at 4:28 PM
Ideally, I need 15 contestants, but 10 is the bare minimum. Also, you can use any wall/floor you want.
Field Researcher
#64 Old 1st Jun 2008 at 4:46 PM
I'm working on my App now, I'm just downloading the house, I'll edit this post when I'm done, however, I will be out of town and have no access to the game starting Wednesday morning, and coming back home late Sunday afternoon. If that's a problem I won't enter, thanks duderocks!
Instructor
Original Poster
#65 Old 1st Jun 2008 at 5:12 PM
I'll probably extend apps to round 1, but I think that's a problem because Round 1 ends on Monday evening here. All of the houses are pretty big, so you won't have much time to work on them.
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 1st Jun 2008 at 5:51 PM

Name of Designer - Brent Codash
Age - 29
Specialties - Exterior Design
EP's + SP's - Nightlife + Seasons (nothing else :P)

This being my first house contest, I can admit I was very nervous. I had no general ideas except for one, which was to make the entire stairs to the observatory indoor. I thought it just made more sense. From there I got inspiration. I thought with a baby on the way it would be much more ideal for the 3 men to settle down to a less hectic style but still retain some of their fun-loving charm. As we paneled up the house with the finest wood I made a very tough desicion that would essentially change the whole entire look of the house. And that was to make a modern "boat-house."

aerial view

back view

Living Area

Kitchen Area

Bedrooms

Bathroom

Other Features

green house

patio

first deck

upper deck

jungle garden

I felt that I still had to leave some remnants of their quirky personalities. In each bedroom I created some whacky combonations of color and left a couple funky pictures and sculptures. No custom content was used in this house other than Desert Plants used throughout the front lawn of the house. Hope you like!
Field Researcher
#67 Old 1st Jun 2008 at 8:33 PM
Default Lilah Fulton-Application
I hope I did this right.

Name of Designer: Lilah Fulton
Specialties: Childrens/Infant bedrooms, kitchens
EPs and SPs i have: All expansions. Holiday stuff, TSS, FFS, GLS, and I think one more SP but I can't for the life of my think which one.

Hello, I am Lilah.

I just recently had the job of redoing the Curious house, in Strangetown. Here are the finished results:

Overhead:

Exterior: As you can see, I added a pool in the back so the boy's can get cool on a hot day. I also added more deserty landscaping and an outdoor chess set!

this is the nursery: (The changing table got cut off because of the horrible angles in this house) Pascal just welcomed twin girls and asked me to make them a girly nursery. He said this is the only place in the house that you'll find pink, haha. It is also my favorite room.

(I used a recolor of one of the maxis rugs and then placed two side by side)

Bedroom One:
This is also one of my favorite rooms, can't you just imagine it being in a spaceship?

Bed recolor used

Bedroom 2:
(Sorry for the walls, like I said..the angles were tight

Bedroom 3:
(I'm linking it because its a really bad picture because the room was so small.)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y2...91/bedroom3.jpg

Bathroom:

Living Room: They asked for it to be a multipurpose space, so that is what I gave them =]

And last but not least, the kitchen:

I was a little wary at first when I received this job, but it ended up being really easy and fun! I tried to incoorporate each of the guy's personality into the house. They seem to love it!

The only custom content I used was walls and floors and an occasional recolor of maxis items. I don't think I used anything else.

Once again, sorry for the horrible picture angles, it was an odd shaped house and the angles were tight.
#68 Old 1st Jun 2008 at 8:51 PM
Name of Designer(s): Charlie Sharwen
Age(s): 21
Specialty(ies) Bathroom
EPs and SPs you have: University, Nightlife, Pets, Kitchen & Bath
HEADSHOT OF DESIGNER(S):

Lab Assistant
#69 Old 1st Jun 2008 at 9:43 PM
Default Lyran Wuppie app.
Name of Designer: Lyran Wuppie (yes!! Like the AH ones)
Specialty: Living rooms, that's where everything happens (except it)
EPs and SPs you have: Uni, NL & OFB (I want more!!)
HEADSHOT OF DESIGNER:

The Curious house is a challenge, it has strange angles and extraordinary people living in it. I didn't want to make huge changes in the building so the structure is very like the original. The interior of the house was way to much steel and stone, no place where you can raise a baby. So I wanted to mix wood, steel, retro, modern and red all trough each other.

I replaced the little white stones by putting a lot of wood on it, and around the house a lot of plants and trees have been placed. I also added a garage and simplified the strange lookout on the roof.
CC:Fence by Holy Simoly, plants by some person

Aeriel, the house it shape hasn't chanced that much. I added a extra place for the dining area and placed the front door somewhere else.

Walking trough the modern front door, you end up directly in the living room. I used red, wood and some strong shapes. I used the original little white bricks in 2 rooms so that the Curious family would still remember something from the past.
CC: Curtains by Holy Simoly, floor and wall by ??

Other angle and surprised Lazlo
Clickie!! (Stairs form Holy Simoly)

At the left of the livingroom is the diningroom. It's not that special but fun.
CC: Floor by ?? Maxis-match Table by ??

And connected with the diningroom is the kitchen. It's sober and simple, you want be distracted while cooking.
CC: Floor&Wall

The first room on the right is Lazlo's room, Lazlo described himself as a person who loves the supernatural and calls with his future-teller every ten minutes. And I know a guy from an antique shop who had a wonderful phone for me. Put a chair next to the phone and Lazlo will be happy for the rest of his life.
CC: Wall&Floor, recolor of maxis wardrobe, recolor of maxis bed and bedding

Behind Lazlo's room, Vincent's room is situated. Because he has come out that he likes flowers, I gave him a peaceful green room with the family-flower-thingie.
CC: Bedding, Wall&floor

And then we have Pascal's room, it's full with baby blue since the gynecologist said it was going to be a boy.
CC: Baby stuff recolors in bleu and white, curtains by Holy Simoly and maxis wardrobe recolor.

At the end of the house is a little cozy bathroom.
CC: Wall&Floor

Inside the garage

On the roof is a dining table if they want to dine under the star heaven and 2 treadmills to do whatever you want.
Maxis-match table

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h...reenShot012.jpg
And last but not least: the garden with swimmingpool. And a lot of scrubs and trees!!
CC: Plants from somewhere

Excuse for the strange use of pictures (most big, 2 small and 2 links)
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 1st Jun 2008 at 11:38 PM
hey guys, i am having problems with photos and was wandering if anyone could help? When i take snapshots in my game they are saved as 400x300(size) when i try to make them bigger in photobucket the image becomes more distorted/fuzzy. What is the best was to enlarge my pictures without distorting them? I dont have photoshop or anything so how would i do it? thanks
Forum Resident
#71 Old 1st Jun 2008 at 11:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsimsims
hey guys, i am having problems with photos and was wandering if anyone could help? When i take snapshots in my game they are saved as 400x300(size) when i try to make them bigger in photobucket the image becomes more distorted/fuzzy. What is the best was to enlarge my pictures without distorting them? I dont have photoshop or anything so how would i do it? thanks

Use Gadwin and a no red lines hack from insiminator.

http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 1st Jun 2008 at 11:54 PM
You can use paint also simsimsims. Just hit the alt key and the prtscr key and paste it into paint. You have to do it one at a time though.
Ice Angel, did curious have twin girls???
When i first loaded their lot i walked away to do something and forgot about it until one of my kids ran in to ask me what i wanted to name the new baby girl LOL. I ended up not saving and bulldozing the house because it was taking too long to delete everything (hence why the lot is not longer in the exact same position) and sure enough he went into labour and had another girl.
Field Researcher
#73 Old 2nd Jun 2008 at 12:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by starwyn
You can use paint also simsimsims. Just hit the alt key and the prtscr key and paste it into paint. You have to do it one at a time though.
Ice Angel, did curious have twin girls???
When i first loaded their lot i walked away to do something and forgot about it until one of my kids ran in to ask me what i wanted to name the new baby girl LOL. I ended up not saving and bulldozing the house because it was taking too long to delete everything (hence why the lot is not longer in the exact same position) and sure enough he went into labour and had another girl.

Yes he did have twin girls, but I may have used a hack for that, it was over a year when I last played them so I don't remember, lol. All I know is I went into the lot and there were two infant girls so I made a nursery for twins,hah.
Lab Assistant
#74 Old 2nd Jun 2008 at 12:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by duderocks
I will give the house to work on as soon as apps finish. There will be some requirements and a particular decorating style to be followed, so better wait until I give the house so your efforts will not be wasted.

I don't mean to be pushy but since we're all going through to round 1 can we have them a day early? The reason i ask this is tonight is the only good chance i will have to go in game. Meaning i will have a few hours i can get to work on it whereas the rest of the week would be in dribs and drabs.
No worries if you can't though i just wanted to use this rare free time i have to get a start on it
Field Researcher
#75 Old 2nd Jun 2008 at 1:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by starwyn
I don't mean to be pushy but since we're all going through to round 1 can we have them a day early? The reason i ask this is tonight is the only good chance i will have to go in game. Meaning i will have a few hours i can get to work on it whereas the rest of the week would be in dribs and drabs.
No worries if you can't though i just wanted to use this rare free time i have to get a start on it

I'd like that too, as tomorrow I'll be busy all day and I'm in the mood for decorating right now, lol. Plus my computer with the sims on it isn't being an idiot, haha. But I too can totally understand if you can't.

Page 3 of 13