Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jul 2019 at 12:06 PM Last edited by Victor_tor : 5th Mar 2020 at 7:23 AM. Reason: renaming
Architect newbie's vocabulary
Hi all. This thread is about right architectural names for house pieces. I have a lot of misunderstanding about right English names of architectural elements after I noticed the 'gallery' in Russian means 'terrace' in English, and 'gallery' in English means just a roof for portrait display. %) I thought to write at journal but it has less settings for reply then thread. I can't find much suitable place so decided to start here. Tell me what do you think of that in comments

My first discovers was about facade additions to house. All names and its meanings under pictures:

Stoop - short piece of floor with foundation level, house door addicted, connected to terrain with stairs. Usually is covered by roof piece and has any walls from full glass to solid. Placed by front of back door at ground floor with foundation. It can be small or large so the main property is its size.

Veranda - long piece of floor at any level of the house. Covered by roof and having walls with half-wall windows or columns with fence. Even can be all-facade, two-facade, three-facade length or surround house. The main property is its length.

Sunroom - a room at any level of the house. Covered by roof. Having great illumination through full-wall windows or solid-glass from three to all sides of the room. Can be used as greenhouse or place to take solar baths because of its main feature - light. It's a part of house so it has another feature - addiction.

Tent - a room at any ground floor of the house. Covered by roof or awning. Having great illumination too but has not full-wall windows or solid-glass but some supporting corset. Columns can be this corset. As Sunroom has a great light but in fact this room have much self-sufficiency and can be unbuild separated from all house. So the next feature is independence. Next pair has no covers.

Deck - piece of floor with foundation level, connected to terrain with stairs. Having walls with half-wall windows or columns with fence and, as said it has both features, of porch and veranda but has no covering at all. The main feature it is roofless. It can be small or large so its property is size.

Pier- piece of floor with foundation level, connected to terrain with stairs. Having walls with half-wall windows or columns with fence or no walls at all. Usually with no covering but can has awnings. Can be separated from house, but was a great wounder it can be a part of house as can be seen here. The main property is its length.
Additionly. It should have dead end any way. Any pier without dead end is already a bridge.

Hope that was useful. Regards. Vic ^_^
Screenshots

Here you can see more of my creations and conversions for sims 3. ;) I`ll glad to see your comments in.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 14th Jul 2019 at 12:46 AM
Theorist
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Jul 2019 at 5:02 PM Last edited by Victor_tor : 21st Jul 2019 at 11:15 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by TudorMan23
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portico

Think classic house features need to be much transcripted. But it's much difficult.

For example. I had some problems with attic (also masard) that is actually means a room under sloped roof.
In Russian language they are having different placement)) Mansard is a room, that separated with walls and shown in picture. Attic in russian is a facade half wall that using only in classical arthitecture. %)

Also mezzanine (or loft space) that is actually a low story between two others in a building, typically between the ground and first floors. Has another meaning in Russian professional language.
Screenshots

Here you can see more of my creations and conversions for sims 3. ;) I`ll glad to see your comments in.
Theorist
Original Poster
#4 Old 27th Jul 2019 at 8:51 AM
I found that I forgot something in previous and it was a terrace.

The word terrace means a level paved area or platform next to a building; and next to building usually means "on lot territory". It can have fencing or surrounded with plants. Roofless, partly or full roofed and at any house level. This word is very popular and already become a cliche. No wounders, because almost every outdoor piece of floor could be named terrace)) That main feature is size.
Screenshots

Theorist
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Aug 2019 at 10:36 PM Last edited by Victor_tor : 2nd Aug 2019 at 12:15 AM.
Well I was failed in search of classic terms, so decided to say something about house level strusctures. This will be useful for houses made with CFE cheat. If you are bored af words house, home, maybe you'll find here something suits its status.

Split-level (or tri-level) is a style of house in which the floor levels are staggered. There are typically two short sets of stairs, one running upward to a bedroom level, and one going downward toward a basement area. The basement level is usually finished, and often contains additional living areas (most often, a family room, an office and/or a hobby or playroom), as well as frequently laundry facilities and other utilities. The basement level often also features a garage, and is usually level with the driveway. Beneath the main level (downward from the basement level) is usually crawl space, or sometimes additional basement space, which is frequently unfinished.

There are a lot of types of that style. I just understanded three of them.

A sidesplit is a split-level home configuration where the multiple levels are visible from the front elevation. Typically, the garage is on one side of the house and there is a floor above the garage housing the bedrooms. The other half of the house is the main living area, part of a story above the garage level and part of a story below the bedroom level. Grading or steps connect the exterior street to the front door on the main level.

A backsplit splitlevel house where the split level is only visible from the side elevation. The front elevations shows only a single story and the two stories are in the back.

The stacked split level has four or five short sets of stairs, and five or six levels. The entry is on a middle floor between two levels. The front door opens into a foyer, and two short sets of stairs typically lead down to a basement and up to a living area (often the kitchen or the living room). Another short set of stairs typically leads to at least one bedroom, located on top of the first living area. Often additional bedrooms are "stacked" on top of the second living area, hence the name "stacked split level". This type of construction is typically used for townhouses.

The last one picture belongs to multilevel house. Actually not having any common with split system this is looks more like experiment. Main idea here that all types of rooms are at diffenent heights. Looks more concept, but I saw already such type of house here. Such kind of houses needs planning very particular, but maybe this is exactly what your sims need. Here at picture is NA house made by Sou Fujimoto Architects.

All info fas drown from en.wikipedia.org More of split-level types you can find here
Screenshots

Theorist
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Aug 2019 at 9:53 AM Last edited by Victor_tor : 2nd Aug 2019 at 10:05 AM.
Some words based on lawyer aspects of building.
Next mostly suits for all properties fer rent:
Shell (core) - the degree of readiness of the premises — rough finishing with utilities to connect air conditioning, ventilation and heating systems, telephone networks.
Basic - furnishing that adds to shell. Means all items that goes with property for rent and need to checked out by a houselord. Usually plumbing, kitchen, electricity, laundry items, shutes and gutters.
Turnkey - means fitted-out and fully furnished property for rent.

There are allso different abbreviuatures fer owners to mark their apartment. You may come across these kinds of it in newspapers that publish real estate listings. “BD” means “bedroom,” the bedroom, and “BA” means “bathroom,” the bathroom. In our example, the house or apartment has 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.

“We have three kids so we want four bedrooms and two bathrooms. We are only looking at the adds that say, 4BD / 2BA. ”-“ We have three children, so we need 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. We pay attention only to those ads that state: 4BD / 2BA. "
0.5BA usually adds to full number and means an addition of separated toilet room.

Also there are some meanings for properties depends of ditterent upgrades or aspects decreasing its price:

Amenities [əˈmiːnɪtiz]
Additional benefits in an apartment or apartment building. A pool or gym is an example for a residential building. A fireplace or a jacuzzi is an example for the living area itself.
“This apartment complex has a lot of great amenities. They have an indoor pool, a basketball court and a game room. ”-“ This apartment building is very well equipped: there is an indoor pool, a basketball court and a games room! ”

flipped house [flɪpət haʊs] means reselled house
This expression is used to describe the act of buying a home with the intention of selling it profitably in the near future. Usually, the buyer acquires a dilapidated house, repairs it and tries to sell it for a higher price. This is called reselling a house - “flipping a house”.
“How long do you think it would take to flip that house?” - “What do you think, how quickly will it be possible to resell this house?”

Ghetto [ˈgɛtəʊ] / Slum [slʌm]
The slang name of poor high crime areas.
“There is a lot of crime in the ghetto.” - “There are many crimes in the slums.”

Curb appeal [kɜːb əˈpiːl] - attractive appearance
The outdoor appeal of the house in terms of its sale, from curb - "curb" and appeal - "attractiveness".
“If you want to sell your house you need some curb appeal.” - “If you want to sell a house, he needs an attractive look.”

Run down [rʌn daʊn]
Dilapidated, old, crumbling home.
“My home is old and run down. I need to make some repairs and paint the exterior. ”-“ My house is old and dilapidated. I need to repair something and paint it outside. ”

Fixer upper [ˈfɪksər ˈʌpə]
An old and dilapidated house, if it is repaired and renovated, can again turn into a pretty dwelling. Such houses can often be seen near the business center of the city. It was here that many years ago the first houses in the city were built. Old houses take on a new life and, due to their good location, can be quite expensive.
“If you are going to buy fixer upper you better have some money for repairs.” - “If you are planning to buy a house for repairs, you will need money.”

Renovated house [ˈrɛnəʊveɪtɪd haʊs]
Instead of starting repairs, you can buy an already updated, renovated house.
“A newly renovated house in the historic downtown.” - “Recently renovated house in the historic city center.”

Used this resourses.
https://abestate.ru/glossary_real_estate
https://skyeng.ru/articles/poleznye...ti-za-granitsej
Translated by me

Theorist
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Aug 2019 at 10:53 AM Last edited by Victor_tor : 17th Aug 2019 at 1:37 PM.
There are some words for traditional suburban residences but different called geographycally.

Villa - ITA
Manor - GBR
Chalet - SWE
Schloss - GER
Сhâteau - FRA
Hacienda - ESP
Estancia - ARG
Fazenda - PRT

Info collected from wikipedia.org
Screenshots

Alchemist
#8 Old 15th Sep 2019 at 7:53 PM Last edited by Johnny_Bravo : 16th Sep 2019 at 7:52 AM.
On request of @Victor_tor
Architectural style: 'CRAFTSMAN'

It's an architectural style which emerged in the early 1900's.

From Wikipedia:
´´The Craftsman style is defined by its low-pitched gabled roofs with broad eaves, large front porches, and exposed wooden structural elements. Houses were typically 1-1½ stories and of wood construction. Homes designed by Greene & Greene include the spectacular Gamble House.``
You can find these homes all around the USA.

The Gamble house (West Coast, California) mentioned above:

(East coast, Georgia)

(West coast/Pacific Northwest, Oregon)

And a Sims example:

I would also suggest to rename this thread to 'Architecture for newbies' or something similar since this could be useful for..well, newbies/youngsters who are starting to get into Architecture.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#9 Old 3rd Dec 2019 at 5:48 PM
A short story of some pavillion shapes for not to be mess

Gazebo is a separatete standed pavillion of free shape. Represented by roof supporting by columns. It's always on ground level.

Rotunda is type of gazebo special for classic architecture. Same overlook but has special requirements for classic: classic order columns and roof that usually dome. Also on ground level and even can be separated building. There is Radcliff Rotunde in Oxford on pic.

Belvedere is roof structure special for classic architecture. In simple words, rotunda placed on roof. Can serve as separated room as well as upper level top lighting if it has not floor.

Roof lantern can't be served as separated room but can use same structure as well. It's a flat roof enclosed opening ONLY that serves for upper level top lighting.

Wikipedia
Google translator
Google seach were used here
Screenshots

Theorist
Original Poster
#10 Old 24th Feb 2020 at 7:20 PM Last edited by Victor_tor : 26th Feb 2020 at 12:00 PM. Reason: semi-detached is added
I had few time today to meet new types of buildings that stack with side walls. I was found four types. Here they are:

Duplex are two houses in row that has one common wall. Duplexes are modern, beautiful, comfortable houses of various sizes, with any number of rooms. It can be both one-story and two-story buildings. Each owner receives for use not only half of the house, but also half of the land, which you can use at your own discretion. If you want to set up your own vineyard, and your neighbors want to take their part of the land under the lawn and flower beds, then each owner will carry out his plan.

Rowhouses are variety of residential building where the individual houses lining a street share adjacent walls in common and have a continuous stretch of roof. Same as duplex, each owner has a piece of land for own usage that is usually in front or from backyard of each rowhouse.

Americans call those types of buildings brownstones. There was a period in American architecture during which a lot of townhouses were built with brownstone. A townhouse made of brownstone, or with a brownstone facade can properly be called "a brownstone." People have then incorrectly applied this term to all townhouses built during that period, or built in the Academic French, Beaux-Arts, Neoclassical, Neo-Georgian, American Queen Anne, etc. styles.

Also known UK citizen calls such type of buildings terraced. A modern town house is often one with a small footprint on multiple floors. The term originally referred in British usage to the city residence (normally in London) of someone whose main or largest residence was a country house. The term terrace was borrowed from garden terraces by British architects of the late Georgian period to describe streets of houses whose uniform fronts and uniform height created an ensemble that was more stylish than a "row".

Townhouses (or townhomes) are generally two- to three-storey structures that share a wall with a neighbouring unit. As opposed to apartment buildings, townhouses do not have neighbouring units above or below them. They are similar in concept to row houses or terraced houses except they are usually divided into smaller groupings of homes. The first and last of the houses is called an end terrace and is often a different layout from the houses in the middle, sometimes called mid-terrace.
If land planning allows, townhouse can be built together to make a square structure with four townhouses at corners and two common walls each. Because there owners don't actually own a lot of land that nearby, townhouses are often occupies bigger area, having a garage inside the house plan and all terraced spaces that belongs to house are much fundamental.

Semi-detached house (often abbreviated to semi) is a single family dwelling house that shares one common wall with the next house. The name distinguishes this style of house from detached houses, with no shared walls, and terraced houses, with a shared wall on both sides. Often, semi-detached houses are built as pairs in which each house's layout is a mirror image of the other's.

Do you agree with all said?

Thanks @attuned for make my interest about brownstones and terraced houses
Info was borrowed from wiki and translated from russian articles with google
Screenshots

Alchemist
#11 Old 29th Feb 2020 at 4:37 PM
I just realized that 'Cabana' is missing. *I'm shook*

A cabana is a small construction close the a swimming pool, basically an extravagant changing room. It may include one room and a bath, some may even have a kitchenette/bar.

#12 Old 2nd Mar 2020 at 8:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Johnny_Bravo
I just realized that 'Cabana' is missing. *I'm shook*

A cabana is a small construction close the a swimming pool, basically an extravagant changing room. It may include one room and a bath, some may even have a kitchenette/bar.

There is a tiny house in Sims 4 Willow Creek named Crick Cabana
Guess that devs were probably meant such type of house you mentioned placed near the tiny, trickling stream. But since there is no such word in Russian, they called it Boar Shout. There's literal interpretation in russian translation from what it sounds in English.

Alchemist
#13 Old 3rd Mar 2020 at 5:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Victor_tor
There is a tiny house in Sims 4 Willow Creek named Crick Cabana
Guess that devs were probably meant such type of house you mentioned placed near the tiny, trickling stream. But since there is no such word in Russian, they called it Boar Shout. There's literal interpretation in russian translation from what it sounds in English.

Cabaña translates to Cabin, or Hut in English

#14 Old 25th Apr 2020 at 4:57 PM
I found a new word. Even it's not too much about architecture and more looking like periphrasis. It's cool. Now I know how to name all attics in Sims made with CFE. Thanks, Cat.
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
Bottlenecks? Where there is only space for 1 sim - a tight spot - like the 'neck' of a beer/wine bottle.

Theorist
Original Poster
#15 Old 12th Aug 2022 at 8:15 AM
Hello. I am learning now British English with Lucy. I am filling my vacabulary now with British words which sounds different from American English.
I found already aubergine, lorry, crisps but the most interesting was LOO.
I never met it here although I know there are so many British here. And I had never seen British use it in chat. Google describes it as british informal so I guees it is something similar to call firefighter bobby and this is not proper name to use on floor plans. But this word sounds so much fun and very clous to Lou or Louis, which reminds me of crowned person, a king of France Louis XIV and his throne. But in fact loo is just another name for the toilet.
Attached Images

Theorist
Original Poster
#16 Old 8th Jan 2023 at 1:52 PM Last edited by Victor_tor : 8th Jan 2023 at 3:31 PM. Reason: Picture(s) added

I have high interest in Victorian houses last two years and was very excited to learn about some types of rooms which are obsolete in modern houses. So I decided to make this article to let you know that types of rooms existed if you would like to make autentic Victorian house.

Chamber is known today as bedroom. It usually had a minimum of furnishing - single bed, fireplace and basin.

Lavatory is known today as bathroom. Bathroom also had basin and toilet or bucket in it. Tubes were existed but were remarkable symbols of wealth. Most of people washed themselves in larger basins or those they used to wash their hands.

Scullery was the tiny room next to the kitchen where wemen washed dishes. The sinks in the kitchens had never existed. Even in tiny kitchens they were placed in the nook.

Parlor (either Parlour) was something between living or dinner. That was the most decorated room of all and could serve as guest room or private dinning. Depending on location there could be one or two parlors in the house. If there were two they called front parlor which is closer to enterance, and back parlor which is further.

Withdrawing room was the room for private meetings. The name was meant to mention that household could "withdraw" any of their guests to that room to have them in private. Withdrawing room was sitting room between parlor and bedroom.

After that the meaning of drawing room had been extracted. It was a room for guests' entertaining. That was a room in large houses. So I see it is almost like parlor but larger.

Library was a room for to read and store the books. That also used for write letters, prepare vexels and other paperwork. As no other sources of knowlege existed but books and newspapers, people tend to have a lot of books. That could also used as tasks room, reception room or men's morning room.

When talk about morning rooms those were rooms for daily morning routine. Those were the rooms in rich houses and were strictly gender restricted. Men's morning room could contain llibrary and rocking chair, wemen's morning room could contain vanity table and basin.

Salon was a reception room for large audience which I think existed only in very wealthy houses. That can be furnished depending on purpose of the gathering. Most notable for me was hall furnished like cafeteria with variety of different dinning tables, big and small, wich worked like restaurant. All guests were sitting in groups when invited and could ask servants to bring them the dish.

Servant's rooms were linen for servant's clothes and their chamber. They stored separated from household. They had no any more rooms.

Day and Night nurseries featured middle class house or higher. That was two separate rooms meant for different purpouse. Day nursery was the play room and room when toddlers spent their days. Night nursery had a crib and might have sleeping chair or recliner for nurse maid to sleep right beside. Either nursemaid had their separate room side-by-side.
Screenshots

Test Subject
#17 Old 1st Feb 2023 at 8:54 AM
Hello!

I was just browsing through and I thought that I would add some Japanese architectural/residential/home terms to the list
Hopefully, nobody minds my contribution to the thread and I am sorry if one or more of the terms have already been discussed elsewhere ( I am still new and haven't had a chance to view every thread or group yet )

I will start by describing what is called "Sliding doors" (fusuma)

Originally, Fusuma was invented to partition off the main room into smaller rooms.
It then has become standardized in Japanese architecture.
In contrast to a wall, a fusuma can be removed allowing for a change in room size.
Flexible space and layout is a unique characteristics of a Japanese home.
In many houses of Japan, Fusuma is used to create closets.
When it is humid, Fusuma absorbs moisture and releases it when dry.
They buffer the cold weather and create a climate-controlled closet.
These are the reasons Fusuma has been loved a long time in Japan.

Next I would like to share is Shitomi (蔀), also called hajitomi (半蔀).

The shitomi , is a movable wall with fine tiles specific to Japanese architecture, especially the wa-yô style .
It is installed at the opening of the building and is used to close it, or to regulate the light intake and the ventilation.
It is not translucent, because a wooden plank is either nailed to the tiles from behind or sandwiched between those inside and outside.
In most cases, the shitomi is divided into upper and lower parts, each of which is called " ha-jitomi ", or half shitomi .
The upper part, usually larger, can be hung horizontally using the hooks hanging from the roof, while the lower one can be detached. Thus, one can have a completely open bay of a large dimension.
This can be confusing to explain, so I have added an image to better help describe the working parts.

Last for now I will share about the Omoya (母屋) which is the core of a building In Japanese architecture.

Because of Buddhism being introduced in the 6th century, moya has been used to denote the sacred central area of a temple building. It is usually surrounded by aisle-like areas called "hisashi". In temples constructed in the hip-and-gable style (irimoya-zukuri), the gabled part usually covers the moya while the hipped part covers the aisles.

Yellow: moya, white: hisashi, red: mokoshi.

Thank you for taking the time to learn about Japanese terms with me
I hope it inspires creativity and helps further your vocabulary
Screenshots
Theorist
Original Poster
#18 Old 1st Feb 2023 at 10:00 AM Last edited by Victor_tor : 1st Feb 2023 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Question
Hi! No we did not discuss architectural traditions yet. Many thanks for your input! I always interested in Japanese architecture. I think EA interested into eastern design too because they added oriental items into Sims from the very first game. Sims 1 got their items from their site and Sims 3 World Andventures Shang Simla has a lot of common with Chinese. Sims 2 made a fusion of Japan and China. And the Sims 4 is the first introduced their Snow Escape which I think is lack of Chinese and very much Japanese.

Could you tell then, when you have time, about tatami? I read some about tatami but did not figured. Is tatami a seating placed on top of the floor or tatami is flooring material which is floor itself? Is that mandatory and what will happen with no tatami in room? I have interested about this before and I think others will have their interest too. Once you didn't know, there is tatami in Sims 2 Bon Voyage.

Regards Vic ^_^

Test Subject
#19 Old 3rd Feb 2023 at 12:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Victor_tor
Hi! No we did not discuss architectural traditions yet. Many thanks for your input! I always interested in Japanese architecture. I think EA interested into eastern design too because they added oriental items into Sims from the very first game. Sims 1 got their items from their site and Sims 3 World Andventures Shang Simla has a lot of common with Chinese. Sims 2 made a fusion of Japan and China. And the Sims 4 is the first introduced their Snow Escape which I think is lack of Chinese and very much Japanese.

Could you tell then, when you have time, about tatami? I read some about tatami but did not figured. Is tatami a seating placed on top of the floor or tatami is flooring material which is floor itself? Is that mandatory and what will happen with no tatami in room? I have interested about this before and I think others will have their interest too. Once you didn't know, there is tatami in Sims 2 Bon Voyage.

Regards Vic ^_^

Ah! Yes I love the Sims 2 bon voyage expansion it was a great addition to the game.

I would love to share some things about tatami!

Tatami mats are a tradition that is unique to Japan. They are made with straw that is woven. In Traditional Japanese room, or washitsu (和室), will always uses tatami as flooring. New tatami mats are green, but as they grow older, they become yellow.
Fukuoka, and Kouchi are famous places for growing the straw that is known as rush, or igusa (イグサ) that the mats are woven from.
Tatami mats are made to fit the room so there is not really any standard size people will use most, but 4 sizes are called and kniwn as Kyouma (京間), Chuukyouma (中京間), Edoma (江戸間), and Danchima (団地間).

Tatami mats all began in the Heian period, from people piling straw up on their floors.
The word that is tatami actually comes from the verb tatamu (畳む) which means to pile or fold.

The ways the tatami is laid out is actually of significance, there are two ways the mats are laid out.
Shyugi Shiki (祝儀敷き) is the way done in normal households. The Tatami mats are placed in a way that the 4 corners of the Tatami don't gather in one spot.
Fushyugi Shiki (不祝儀敷き) is used for unlucky events such as funerals. It is a custom in order to avoid the bad luck.

Basically, floors throughout all Japanese history have had tatami. It is so common that, they came to be the standard unit for determining the size of a room. Instead of meters or feet, jo (畳) is used to measure the size of a room by calculating how many tatami will fit in it.
For example, a tea room of 4.5 jo is large enough to fit 4.5 tatami. Both full-size and half-size mats (半畳, hanjo) are common.

If you ever go looking for an apartment in Japan today, you’ll come across this measurement!

You asked about what happens if the floor does not have a tatami mat, and the answer is that nothing happens actually, the floor is usually not carpet so it is easily cleaned and the mats can be picked up or stored at any time.

Many bedrooms use them for the purpose of keeping the futon off the floor directly, since most of us sleep on the floor and not off the ground in a western style bed frame.

A fact about them is that they have a nice smell because of the material, and give a room "good vibes" we will put it as haha since going into Japanese superstition and tradition would take an entire book to write lol

I am glad you have taken the time to learn about tatami and I hope you found it interesting!
Thank you
Screenshots
Theorist
Original Poster
#20 Old 9th Aug 2023 at 11:29 AM
I searched recently some information about garrets( garrets are living attic spaces located directly under the roof slope) and found a little about dormer window species.
I decided to share here the pictures I found. Just in case anyone will find it useful
Screenshots