Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Aug 2022 at 4:17 AM
Default What version of Sims 3 requires Origin?
Hi all,
I hate origin and my connection isn't the best to begin with. I want to get the older version of sims 3 that I can install without Origin. What versions should I look for and what to avoid? From what I can tell anything after 2012 will stick you with Origin right? Or is it including 2012 as well? Or is it only the base game rereleases after 2012 that are a problem and the expansions are ok?

I keep finding conflicting info and trying to straghten it all out. But perhaps now Sims 3 requires Origin no matter what one does and I will just have to skip it. :/
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th Aug 2022 at 7:56 AM
My 3 is all disks so I do not go through Origin at all. I do not know, but maybe pick up a used set of them if you can???? I used my disks to install on this laptop about 2 years ago and it worked with no problems. And I have all my original install on my PC that is probably about 12 years old now and plays 3 beautifully on it.

My 3 is 1.67. I did not want to go to 1.69 and am very glad I did not.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 17th Aug 2022 at 7:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I've always thought any disc version will do as you can superpatch it to 1.67 without origin

We were posting at same time. IMO disks are the only way to go for 3 if possible.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 17th Aug 2022 at 4:14 PM Last edited by igazor : 17th Aug 2022 at 4:25 PM.
Yes, I'm afraid there is a lot conflicting information out there. And in here, apparently.

The base game disc must have been manufactured before Sept 2012 in order to allow a 1.67 non-Origin install. The ones manufactured on or after that month will not install without Origin. The boxes on the newer ones look different and have Origin logos on them someplace, if that's any help.

The vintages of the Expansion/Stuff Packs do not matter here no matter what their boxes look like, it's only the base game discs that impose the Origin requirement or not.

When installing from the older non-Origin base game discs, the player will be offered a chance to install the EA Download Manager (EADM). Always say no to that as the EADM was Origin's predecessor and will do everything it can to update itself to Origin. That's annoying, but at least one is offered the choice on those.

The other way to stay on 1.67 is to purchase the Steam version as that one has no Origin component and can run without the Steam client once it's all installed. But that would require a (re)purchase of the Steam version of the base game and all EP/SPs and can get pretty expensive unless you catch one of the few times per year Steam sales on TS3.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Aug 2022 at 4:33 PM
Thank you all. So the base game is all that matters? And patch it to 1.67 only. I thought the newer expansions would be a problem as well. Wonderful news.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 17th Aug 2022 at 6:22 PM
Base game is the only one that matters.

These two box arts are fine, and they should include the shiny green-ish disk manufactured in 2009 without Origin requirements.

Original release (2009) and 2010 box art update (disk is still the one manufactured in 2009)

This is the one you want to avoid: 2012 refresh with Origin
It has a white disk with similar artwork as on the box.

If you're looking into bundles, everything from The Sims 3 Deluxe up to The Sims 3 Plus Supernatural should be safe, but double check, if possible. I've looked on eBay and, although the TS3 Plus Supernatural box has the new artwork, all listings I saw had the green disk. Anything after that has the 2012 base game for sure.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 17th Aug 2022 at 9:29 PM Last edited by Vrman87 : 18th Aug 2022 at 2:47 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by mate54
Base game is the only one that matters.

These two box arts are fine, and they should include the shiny green-ish disk manufactured in 2009 without Origin requirements.

Original release (2009) and 2010 box art update (disk is still the one manufactured in 2009)

This is the one you want to avoid: 2012 refresh with Origin
It has a white disk with similar artwork as on the box.

If you're looking into bundles, everything from The Sims 3 Deluxe up to The Sims 3 Plus Supernatural should be safe, but double check, if possible. I've looked on eBay and, although the TS3 Plus Supernatural box has the new artwork, all listings I saw had the green disk. Anything after that has the 2012 base game for sure.

Thanks a million! I was looking at the base plus supernatural and wondering. Guess that is questionable. Will make sure I get a different one. Thanks again!

Update: It seems that there are two versions of Sims 3 Plus Supernatural. One with the older disk with a lot of sim faces, and a newer version with only 4 sim faces which looks more like the box cover. I also I see the copyright on that one says 2009, 2012. Sounds like that version has Origin.
Inventor
#10 Old 18th Aug 2022 at 5:57 PM
Hello @Vrman87
Thank you posting this informative thread.
Personally, I did chose to install the EA Manager (I didn't know any better. )which later became Origin; and my version of Sims3 is 1.69. However I prefer this version as you can play the base game and pick a few expansion/stuff packs for better performance rather than play all expansion/stuff packs which can bring my computer to its knees. It also makes for a variety of Sim story lines.
If you wanted to do this with the 1.67 version you might end up installing/reinstalling several times a year, so something for you to consider.
May I ask you why you hate Origin?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 18th Aug 2022 at 6:58 PM
Welcome It has certainly helped me as well.
As for why I hate Origin, any system that requires a constant online connection to work is bad news. In the end the company can decide to no longer support it, and your games or whatever your purchased go poof. With Origin, you don't OWN the game you basically rent it. A rental agreement they can terminate at any point. And EA has a NASTY habit of terminating agreements or online offerings whenever they feel like it no matter what customers think or say.

Personally I have had several such agreements killed over the years causing me to lose items I purchased. Some were ebooks (anyone remember Microsoft .lit format? I lost a few there but most of them I managed to backup without their DRM through tools others had made), others were online games with a service that went poof. Now I don't BUY anything from such services or in general have anything to do with them. While I do have a steam and origin account, but I didn't buy a THING on them. They were all free or gifts/promotions. And I rarely use them unless I don't have a option. Where I buy my games is GOG or physical copies on disc.

I also don't buy software that requires a online activation because a some point you won't be able to use it. Either they will stop support of it, go out of business, or whatever. Unless there is a hack or bypass available to use if this should happen. Some companies are better than others. I know a few that have taken measures so if they go offline, out of business or such they will give everyone keys so that their content still works (such keys are held in escrow and the system all set up should it happen). EA is one company, in my opinion, that is the worst in this regard and would never even dream of doing something like this and don't care about their customers at all except to get more money from them any way they can and take away as much as they can in the process.

I am waiting for the day when one of these companies go down or otherwise take away all the games/content people purchase and people wake up that digital only is not a good idea unless you plan on throwing the game/content away after a certain point. Here is a even better example: Nintento's WiiU and especially the Switch. Many people have only bought games digitally and I have no doubt at some point in the future you won't be able to download those games any more. And once that happens you won't be able to move it to other console hardware should yours go bad etc. Essentially, Your library of games just went poof. It has sort of already happened with the Wii, you can no longer download system updates through the built-in interface. It gives a connection error. And how long before the game downloads fail as well? Granted only the Wiiware games were online, but still many people put a lot of money into those.

With the Wii and WiiU there are hacks and bypasses with mods to move content and do backups. It isn't the easiest thing and many won't be able to, but the options are there at least. Then again perhaps most people don't care and just throw everything away after a few years and buy new. But I for one, keep playing my old games and plan to for a long time to come.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 18th Aug 2022 at 7:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vrman87
Update: It seems that there are two versions of Sims 3 Plus Supernatural. One with the older disk with a lot of sim faces, and a newer version with only 4 sim faces which looks more like the box cover. I also I see the copyright on that one says 2009, 2012. Sounds like that version has Origin.

Interesting. Maybe it depends on the region? But yes, if the disk itself doesn't resemble the 2009 box art (tons of plumbobs with Sim faces) it definitely has Origin.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 14th Sep 2022 at 4:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Yes, I'm afraid there is a lot conflicting information out there. And in here, apparently.

The base game disc must have been manufactured before Sept 2012 in order to allow a 1.67 non-Origin install. The ones manufactured on or after that month will not install without Origin. The boxes on the newer ones look different and have Origin logos on them someplace, if that's any help.

The vintages of the Expansion/Stuff Packs do not matter here no matter what their boxes look like, it's only the base game discs that impose the Origin requirement or not.

When installing from the older non-Origin base game discs, the player will be offered a chance to install the EA Download Manager (EADM). Always say no to that as the EADM was Origin's predecessor and will do everything it can to update itself to Origin. That's annoying, but at least one is offered the choice on those.

The other way to stay on 1.67 is to purchase the Steam version as that one has no Origin component and can run without the Steam client once it's all installed. But that would require a (re)purchase of the Steam version of the base game and all EP/SPs and can get pretty expensive unless you catch one of the few times per year Steam sales on TS3.

Is EA download manager required to make store stuff work?
Field Researcher
#14 Old 15th Sep 2022 at 1:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by candyboot
Is EA download manager required to make store stuff work?

No. You only need The Sims 3 Launcher (included with the game) to be able to install Store content.