Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#451 Old 5th Feb 2023 at 12:17 AM Last edited by daisylee : 5th Feb 2023 at 12:34 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Sokisims
... it would be better if the game was for adults. ...

That will never happen though. Sims is very clearly targeted to young players and is getting even more so when we look at 5 being playable on phones for example, by 8s probably. They would need to create a whole new game. And that is not the market they are aiming for now. Odds are 5 will be even more dumbed down from 4 than 4 was from 3?

IMO the inclusion of some of the more adult things in 4 has been for some quick bucks and to wave we are PC flags. But overall, EA is still looking to capture the 12s the most, and not players like most of us on this site. Adults.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#452 Old 5th Feb 2023 at 12:23 AM
I don't know, things have changed and maybe a public of 20-35 who works isn't such a bad deal. Also when I was a teenager, what I liked about the sims 2 was that it had a rather mature and acid point, I don't think that if I had been a teenager today I would have played the sims 4... XD
Mad Poster
#453 Old 5th Feb 2023 at 12:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sokisims
I don't know, things have changed and maybe a public of 20-35 who works isn't such a bad deal. Also when I was a teenager, what I liked about the sims 2 was that it had a rather mature and acid point, I don't think that if I had been a teenager today I would have played the sims 4... XD

I would love to see a more adult game, but just do not think it will come from EA. And from what I have seen, Paralives is rather blah. I think one thing maybe is that developers want the Teen rating so that restricts them a lot as to what can and cannot be done.
Mad Poster
#454 Old 5th Feb 2023 at 2:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
Sims is not therapy

girl what

Quote: Originally posted by xSwitchback
It's terrible that we can't have a rational discussion without someone being labelled homophobic/transphobic to have their voice cancelled out, simply because people disagree. Hence my earlier comment about being friends with someone who's trans. I said it to ensure I didn't come under this fire, because I'm none of those things and it's such an easy way out for people.

These comments are like men telling women what to do with their uteruses. Why are cisgendered people dictating what transgendered representation should look like? You, and even myself, are not the target audience. I saw trans people happy about receiving this content. Those are the voices that matter.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
#455 Old 5th Feb 2023 at 2:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
... You, and even myself, are not the target audience. I saw trans people happy about receiving this content. Those are the voices that matter.

Sims does not exist to make people feel better. It is not therapy as I said, and not to be validation for who we are. It is a PC game. Period. Will did not create it to do those things. And to say that people who are whatever are the only opinions that matter about something is totally off base.

Back to the absurd serial killer input, you would not say that if that was in the game that their voices would be the ones that matter? That their being happy about having that in the game was great? Note: I am not comparing serial killers to trans people in any way, but the point is the same.

But this discussion has gone on WAY too long and nobody is gonna change the mind of anyone else. EA is doing what it is going to do and does not really care about our thoughts about it.
Mad Poster
#456 Old 5th Feb 2023 at 3:04 AM
I wouldn’t be upset if serial killer was in the game because I can separate fact from fiction. I would considerate it inappropriate, given the rating, but not again be offended by it. Sims can already murder Sims.

Just like I’m not offended by trans sims… because transpeople exists.

Some of y’all are REACHING for the STARS to mask homophobia and not call it what it is. it's cute. Saying think of the children for ADULT surgical scars and binders. It’s safe for a woman to have massively inflated and unnaturally large breasts with surgery, but when a person wants to remove their own, for whatever reason, they’re hurting children?

Kids don’t even care. They’re watching cartoons. Make sense.

Field Researcher
#457 Old 5th Feb 2023 at 3:14 AM
Okay, sorry to be rude but can we just SHUT UP ALREADY about this? It's gone on way too long. This is a forum for Sims. People on both sides are gonna be mad no matter what, so let's just drop it already, seriously. This thread is to discuss lackluster EPs for a lackluster game or hype for EPs, not politics or societal issues.
Mad Poster
#458 Old 5th Feb 2023 at 3:16 AM
I wouldn’t be upset if serial killer was in the game because I can separate fact from fiction. I would considerate it inappropriate, given the rating, but not again be offended by it. Sims can already murder Sims.

Just like I’m not offended by trans sims… because transpeople exists.

I am not offended either, but we are adults, and that is the difference. The people discussing this here are adults. The people with young children though, make choices about how they want to parent, and that is why IMO some of the things should be available to those who want it in the game and when is appropriate for the players. Make it optional content. Not automatically included with the base, EPs, or patches. Each person and each parent if that is the case can make the decision.
Lab Assistant
#459 Old 5th Feb 2023 at 3:54 AM
Sims does not exist to make people feel better. It is not therapy as I said, and not to be validation for who we are. It is a PC game. Period. Will did not create it to do those things. And to say that people who are whatever are the only opinions that matter about something is totally off base.

Back to the absurd serial killer input, you would not say that if that was in the game that their voices would be the ones that matter? That their being happy about having that in the game was great? Note: I am not comparing serial killers to trans people in any way, but the point is the same.

But this discussion has gone on WAY too long and nobody is gonna change the mind of anyone else. EA is doing what it is going to do and does not really care about our thoughts about it.

Then what pray tell is the purpose of the game then? It’s entertainment. Entertainment is supposed to make people feel better and have fun.

Would you say all of this if it was about gay sims? How about sims of color? Or female sims? Matter of fact let’s just cut everything out and have all of our sims be plain mannequins since we’re not supposed to see or represent ourselves in a life simulator. It’s not therapy, right? No fun for anyone over some scars and a top. I’m sure Will Wright is pulling his hair out about this as we speak, never mind he hasn’t had a hand in the sims in close to 20 years now.

Your point about serial killers is one hell of a reach and yes, you have compared them to trans people. Like multiple times now… The point is not the same. Your point is asinine and ridiculous.

At the end of the day, the game is rated T for Teen. If parents don’t want their children exposed to scars and binders in a game they technically shouldn’t be playing in the first place, then they can take the game away from them. Problem solved.

There’s always so much talk about how TS4 is too squeaky clean and not the realistic or “adult” enough, but when something that people swear should be an “adults only” topic gets added in, then suddenly it’s not what they want any more. It’s “think of the children!!1!” and for some reason the grown adults that can make their own decisions.
Lab Assistant
#460 Old 5th Feb 2023 at 4:42 AM
The Sims 4 has become a clown game for me, and I don't care what EA adds.

Taiwan Soul!
Lab Assistant
#461 Old 5th Feb 2023 at 9:07 AM Last edited by xSwitchback : 5th Feb 2023 at 9:19 AM.
Sims does not exist to make people feel better. It is not therapy.

Well, I mean, I feel better when I set people on fire. Joking aside, The Sims is really helpful for my Mental Health, so it can be therapeutic in some ways. But I know what you mean, you're referring to it on a professional level.

These comments are like men telling women what to do with their uteruses. Why are cisgendered people dictating what transgendered representation should look like? You, and even myself, are not the target audience. I saw trans people happy about receiving this content. Those are the voices that matter.

Some of y’all are REACHING for the STARS to mask homophobia and not call it what it is. it's cute. Saying think of the children for ADULT surgical scars and binders. It’s safe for a woman to have massively inflated and unnaturally large breasts with surgery, but when a person wants to remove their own, for whatever reason, they’re hurting children?

Kids don’t even care. They’re watching cartoons. Make sense.

Don't read between the lines of my comments. There's also lots of Transgender people unhappy with this update. One of the Twitter comments I posted highlighted that. No, none of what you said is okay to me, so don't write about it as if it is because of my opinion on one topic. If you want to brand me as hateful for speaking out about my concern and wanting to protect more vulnerable people, while you think they're doing nothing but watching cartoons all day, then by all means.

As you say, 'Cute'.

Quote: Originally posted by kiddypatches
Okay, sorry to be rude but can we just SHUT UP ALREADY about this? It's gone on way too long. This is a forum for Sims. People on both sides are gonna be mad no matter what, so let's just drop it already, seriously. This thread is to discuss lackluster EPs for a lackluster game or hype for EPs, not politics or societal issues.

Agreed x 1000. I never meant for it to get so out of hand bringing it to attention. It's been an insightful discussion that started cordial but now it's borderline insulting and hateful. Let's direct that to EA for being hypocritical moneygrubbers, not towards each other.

New pack looks underwhelming, babies are revolting, and I'm going to change my postal address to a treehouse.

Eternally skipping life's jump rope.
Mad Poster
#462 Old 5th Feb 2023 at 12:54 PM
If you want to brand me as hateful for speaking out about my concern and wanting to protect more vulnerable people, while you think they're doing nothing but watching cartoons all day, then by all means.

As you say, 'Cute'.

I will because the age group your discussion shouldn’t be playing the game for a variety of other reasons outside of a small set of optional content a child probably won’t even understand if they saw it because children don’t think like adults.

They’ll probably see the top surgery scars and think it’s from something ENTIRELY UNRELATED to being trans because children have different priorities.

Teens are different. A teenager Can discuss gender because they’re also discussion puberty around this time. They’ll be able to understand this content, and are the intended age group.

This is why I’m here arguing, because the counter arguments genuinely don’t hold water. The children were protecting shouldn’t be playing the game and none of the reasons why were brought up until now for some strange reason…

It’s hateful. You can say it’s not but we had the same discussion when the last set of trans content dropped. Just like "All Lives Matter" wasn't said until Black Lives Matter was mentioned. "Mens rights" wasn't a thing until women got theirs.

As mentioned - remove ANYTHING that will be a hard discussion. People of color. Same sex relationships. Hell, take the women out, too. Let’s have marriages be arranged and let the brides be mail order. Children won’t even be conceived - they pop out of thin air.

The wildest part of this discussion is that this is a game, played predominantly by adults. Let a fake simulant change their gender.

None of these arguments hold any water. It’s hateful. my goal isn't to change anyone's minds, but to let you know why the arguments make no sense. The children will be fine, as they were before the patch when this issue wasn’t mentioned.

Lab Assistant
#463 Old 5th Feb 2023 at 1:35 PM
I saw that. @SneakyWingPhoenix posted it earlier up top. I really hope the author takes it to Twitter, probably the only way they're going to gain a legitimate response. Just more Pinkwashing from corporations. What can you do?

Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
In regards kinda-to-the-topic, EA slip ups again: https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/co...nt=share_button

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#464 Old 5th Feb 2023 at 1:50 PM
Just a quick note to say we are watching this thread, and having discussions is healthy (from all sides), especially to come to a consensus (whatever that may be), but please keep personal attacks away from here. Thank you.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Lab Assistant
#465 Old 5th Feb 2023 at 2:57 PM
I will because the age group your discussion shouldn’t be playing the game for a variety of other reasons outside of a small set of optional content a child probably won’t even understand if they saw it because children don’t think like adults.

They’ll probably see the top surgery scars and think it’s from something ENTIRELY UNRELATED to being trans because children have different priorities.

Teens are different. A teenager Can discuss gender because they’re also discussion puberty around this time. They’ll be able to understand this content, and are the intended age group.

This is why I’m here arguing, because the counter arguments genuinely don’t hold water. The children were protecting shouldn’t be playing the game and none of the reasons why were brought up until now for some strange reason…

It’s hateful. You can say it’s not but we had the same discussion when the last set of trans content dropped. Just like "All Lives Matter" wasn't said until Black Lives Matter was mentioned. "Mens rights" wasn't a thing until women got theirs.

As mentioned - remove ANYTHING that will be a hard discussion. People of color. Same sex relationships. Hell, take the women out, too. Let’s have marriages be arranged and let the brides be mail order. Children won’t even be conceived - they pop out of thin air.

The wildest part of this discussion is that this is a game, played predominantly by adults. Let a fake simulant change their gender.

None of these arguments hold any water. It’s hateful. my goal isn't to change anyone's minds, but to let YOU know why the arguments make no sense. The children will be fine, as they were before the patch when this issue wasn’t mentioned.

I really want to drop this discussion, I've already made that clear because it's causing more harm than good at this point. I was going to ignore your post entirely. But I'm feeling personally attacked by yourself at this point, and I've highlighted exactly why by bolding certain comments you've made in this quote. Whole lot of hate.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong here. People have brought up really great points. But you're telling me I'm transphobic/homophobic because I'm concerned about body mutilation and self-harm scars. I'm not hating on any one or any thing. You're right, teens are most likely able to make their own decisions regarding this topic. Adults, too. But this game, as stated above many times in other posts I've hoped you've read, is aimed for 12 year olds and even younger given the new mobile route EA is taking. That does concern me.

No, I don't expect kids to see this and go out to have transgender operations. Goodness. I can't believe people assume that's how I see this given earlier posts. Words in mouth much?

It's more that this can be a foundation for them asking very mature questions to their parents at a young age, and can lead to altering their appearance down the line in a misguided fashion. Not one on an educated and considered level. As someone earlier mentioned, where's the line for indoctrination? Sometimes I feel all of this 'inclusivity' and 'awareness' can twist a developing mind. It's one thing to be that way inclined naturally, and that's okay, but another to feel forced into it cause your friends are this, that, the other. No wonder so many young folk I've seen online are genuinely gender-confused. I've seen many on Discord actually giving voice to their confusion.

I don't see how my view makes me a ringleader of hate speech, as some of the posts here seem to make me out. If I truly was these things people claim, I wouldn't play The Sims period because it has LGBTQ+/Black/Women etc. I'm sorry but what I said before about labelling me this as an easy out still stands.

I have not hated on anyone during this entire discussion. Please read ALL of my posts before you start claiming as such.

Lab Assistant
#466 Old 5th Feb 2023 at 3:03 PM
I'm checking out. I'm gonna go hang with Bonehilda cause I feel like she's the only one who understands me. ⚰️🧹

Forum Resident
#467 Old 5th Feb 2023 at 3:18 PM
xSwitchback Don't be sad, we've all made our points, and that's okay. It is obvious that we are not going to reach any agreement. But it's still okay that we've all put forward what we believe. I have had moments in which I have gotten angry, but luckily it has passed. I have also felt bad for all of us who are commenting. Behind each user there is a life and these issues can affect.
Lab Assistant
#468 Old 5th Feb 2023 at 3:51 PM
Quote:
It's more that this can be a foundation for them asking very mature questions to their parents at a young age, and can lead to altering their appearance down the line in a misguided fashion. Not one on an educated and considered level.

I think that's where parents ought to step in and be that nurturing guide as their kids navigate those mature questions and their insecurities.

As a simmer of color, the majority of customization options in the games were representative of the eurocentric standard of beauty. I'm sure it had some effect on my self-image as most western media did. I recall straightening my hair a lot as a preteen, damaging it horribly.

Should Maxis have patched out straight hair since my goofy butt was just going along with what was the norm even at the expense of my hair? No. I don't think so. I lived through the heat damage and learned how to properly care for my hair.

Do I look back and regret how easily I followed along with beauty standards? Sometimes but I found my way to a better self-image.

I think the kids who don't aren't around people who encourage critical thinking or self-love to begin with. I don't think you can blame a video game for that.
Mad Poster
#469 Old 5th Feb 2023 at 6:13 PM
I'm not saying anyone is wrong here. People have brought up really great points. But you're telling me I'm transphobic/homophobic because I'm concerned about body mutilation and self-harm scars.

This is exactly why I called what has been said hateful and transphobic. Mutilation and self harm are ABSOLUTELY NOT and SHOULD NOT be equated with body modification and surgical alterations to one’s body.

Field Researcher
#470 Old 5th Feb 2023 at 6:43 PM
Aaaand we're still complaining about it. oh my god, get over it. This has gone on for like 2 days already. Can we just get back to the real topic of the thread? I don't want to backseat mod since I'm just a regular user, but this is ridiculous. Even the freaking SITE OWNER commented about it.

This site should be for fun, not bawwwww'ing over different ideological opinions. One side feels strongly, the other also strongly. Nobody can agree. Move. On!!!

So, anyway, new EP looks like it'll suck and baby update is lame.
Forum Resident
#471 Old 5th Feb 2023 at 7:06 PM
I was looking at previous posts, about the heights and the growth system. I guess it would be nice for this game or the next one, If there were 3 or 4 heights for each age. With well configured animations.

Maybe that way they wouldn't have to rack their brains trying to do sliding heights.
Top Secret Researcher
#472 Old 5th Feb 2023 at 7:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
You're fine. I think you're more understood than you think you are.

Discussions like this always triggers a swath of reactions, over-reactions, ect... This has been happening as long as I've been around. I've been here since 2014 (?). I'm too lazy today to look at my profile to check.

Have fun with Bonehilda.

Been true as long as I've been here, which I think is 2007!

ETA: Yeah, I think a height slider would be a lot to ask for, but short, average, tall presets would be doable - probably for 5, though, not a decade-old game with more DLC than I can count. That would be a nightmare amount of animation work to add to 4.

As far as the addition of infants - I'm very much wait and see at this point.
Instructor
#473 Old 5th Feb 2023 at 8:24 PM Last edited by Dixieland : 12th Feb 2023 at 9:26 AM. Reason: typo
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG
Been true as long as I've been here, which I think is 2007!

I've got you both beat; my (original) account joined up in 2005.

I still remember when MTS made it mandatory to have an account in order to download mods--and then years later when they quietly removed the requirement all together.

___

Feast your eyes on this tree-house screen. That poor texture looks rather stretched over such a gargantuan object.
Screenshots

A fool and his money are soon parted. ~ Thomas Tusser
Field Researcher
#474 Old 5th Feb 2023 at 8:35 PM
What is it with Sims 4 and making objects' details super blurry looking??? I get its a more cartoon style, but it really doesn't look good. It's like they made a detail way too tiny in an art program, then blew it up 100x its original size. Sloppy, sloppy. (Like that bathroom clutter kit, I think it was? What a mess that was. and lest we forget the original Ballpit)
Lab Assistant
#475 Old 5th Feb 2023 at 9:20 PM Last edited by Casimir : 5th Feb 2023 at 9:45 PM.
Details in TS4 are not good-looking. Take a look of spaghetti as an example. It looks like yellow clay. The food just looks unappealing and the preparation time animations are also ridiculous. Who on earth throws knives around like juggling balls? It is unrealistic and especially if the supposed sim has a familly. You do not want your child to pick up that behaviour!

Have you seen that pink tree in Newcrest? I think that that is supposed to be magnolia.

Have you ever wondered why the grass (the ground) looks so flat and textureless?

I have a feeling like a lot of stuff and activities for infants will be locked behind this new EP. That is because we saw a lot of content regarding infants in the trailer.
Page 19 of 47