Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Feb 2015 at 12:58 AM
Default The realization I need a day job to help me through...
After assessing my life so far, I need to consider the fact my money can only stretch so far. After paying $250 in dues, $480 is my remainder of a pay check. I have to make tough decisions in my film career as an animator and live-at-home daughter.

It was upon the suggestion of my therapist, Liz, that I pursue a job as a snack bar attendant of my own snack bar. I researched that in most cases, I would get a 80% profit return if I pursued such an option.

It would be my first paying job. It is also the beginning of street fair season in Seattle.

So, I'm planning to get my food handlers' permit, order a ton of cotton candy flossing sugar and the machines and packaging, get set up at the street fairs and make money to offset my life and the cost of the equipment.

Wish me luck as I climb the mountain that is of the work-a-day Joe's 9-to-5

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Advertisement
Banned
#2 Old 6th Feb 2015 at 8:38 PM
Honestly, I'm getting worried, Panda.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 2:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Aaron4Ever
Honestly, I'm getting worried, Panda.

Well, I have experience cooking in high school, have made sure to watch cooking shows that feature food safety tips.

My mental stability has been strengthened by Liz, my therapist and she has seen me at the worst of it all.

What could go wrong?

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 11:07 AM
Are there legal requirements for food hygiene where you are? I'm asking because there are here.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 12:46 PM
Maybe that's why Panda mentioned a food handler permit? Here, you need that, and it encompasses food safety with health and safety Canada. My da had to take it when he opened a food truck. It was something like 50 hours of training to get certifications, but if you didn't have adequate funds, they would let you reimburse them over a year's time.

She was rouge and red lips, dark hair and soft hips, mischief and laughter - and she wanted you to love her faster.
Inventor
#6 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 4:43 PM
Sometimes I wish I could start a home business, possibly something where I make things then send them out. I can cross stitch, do basic to intermediary crochet and I'm pretty good at chainmail jewlery. I just worry that I wont have the motivation to keep stock up. I'd love to do personalised stuff too, but I would feel too pressured.

I've never had a job so I've never had to deal with "demand".
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 4:51 PM
... can you make a chainmail choker?

She was rouge and red lips, dark hair and soft hips, mischief and laughter - and she wanted you to love her faster.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 7:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Are there legal requirements for food hygiene where you are? I'm asking because there are here.

Almost every country that has restaurants and a legal system has them. In the USA, we have basic instructions on handling raw meat on the package.

Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 9:13 PM
Food handlers' license isn't too much of a big deal here. You can get it in just a few hours if you have a good enough memory; I've done the test twice (because I moved) and aced it both times. I don't think much of it applies to cotton candy besides the basic hygiene/sanitation stuff, since it's mostly "keep this at this temperature if it's going to be in the open, this can't stay at this temperature for too long" and I think cotton candy is shelf-stable.

PANDA, you seem to have thought through the financial aspects and how you're going to make this happen. Do you have a plan for dealing with the customers, though?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 9:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PANDAQUEEN
Almost every country that has restaurants and a legal system has them. In the USA, we have basic instructions on handling raw meat on the package.

But that's not the same as regulating restaurents or other food producers. I wasn't asking for information anyway - it was a polite way of saying are you sure you will conform with the law?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 10:08 PM
I only said that we as Americans have to abide by the rules whether cooking for ourselves and family or when strangers are part of the equation.

I will do my best to meet or exceed the laws on food safety. I will be a model employee.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#12 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 10:48 AM
I'm sure you will and I do wish you success - the reason for my caution is that I know that here (UK) people who prepare food for the public are under regulations not only to ensure food hygiene but also to show that they are doing so. Basically, I agree - if I were cooking for myself or for anyone else, I'd be keen to ensure I applied the highest standards but doing it commercially here means having to demonstrate you are following food hygiene laws not just following them. That requires extra effort.

Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 1:37 PM
Da's truck is for cotton candy, popcorn, and then straight up greasy, delcious food. If you need some answers about the cotton candy aspect you can't find online or through Liz, let me know. Da would be more than willing to help. I'm sure there's not much difference in food handling between here or the States, and cotton candy is pretty universal

Inventor
#14 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 2:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nymphetamine
... can you make a chainmail choker?

Yes.
Chainmail is really easy once you have the basics down, the hardest part is trying to make unique designs... It's easier just to find patterns to follow online. That, and it's time consuming and if you're not in the mood it can get tedious and frustrating pretty fast.
You should try it of you're interested in chainmail jewellery! It makes a great gift.
Theorist
#15 Old 9th Feb 2015 at 4:30 PM
Good luck, Panda!
A job is a good idea, because, well, money.
You're lucky your parents have been so understanding so far! When I graduated college, my mom pretty much said, "get a job, or GTFO", and she meant it, too.
I wonder where "9-to-5" came from. Did Dolly Parton make that up? Around here, it's 8-to-5 with an unpaid lunch hour. Did people used to get a paid lunch hour in the olden days? If so, I want to go back to that, dammit!

Resident wet blanket.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 9th Feb 2015 at 5:23 PM
They know that in order to survive, I need multiple revenue sources. A woman like myself, single, childless, disabled due to stamina issues and trained for various industries, can do it if the effort from mind, heart and soul are thrown into the endeavors. It is worth it if turned in the right direction.

Theorist
#17 Old 9th Feb 2015 at 6:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
Did people used to get a paid lunch hour in the olden days? If so, I want to go back to that, dammit!

Yes.

Income inequality means that companies have more leverage to force people to work longer hours for less pay. Basically everyone's fighting for a smaller slice of the economic pie than they did prior to the massive deregulation of industry, since the wealthy own such an enormous portion of all wealth. The only good thing about the situation is that theoretically the wealthy aren't actually sitting around in castles and we're not all actual peasants. On the other hand, as long as there are politicians and media outlets successfully snookering people into the notion that it's "immigration" or "Greek people don't pay enough taxes" instead of a bunch billionaires with their pants around their ankles doing the slow, painful screw on the world, we might as well be. Basically we've lost all the economic gains that we earned from the industrial revolution. No one's taken them from us, they've been successfully bartered and politically manipulated away from the populace.

This is what actually keeps me up awake at night.

/soapbox