Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 7:02 AM
Default You and your cat
For you cat owners like myself, what sort of odd quirky behavior does your cat exhibit?

I have many going across multiple cats.

Nike, our oldest cat (1992-2013) had a habit of begging for corn off the cob and would paw at suitcases when a trip was in order.

Fox (2003-2011) had a bad habit of pooping outside the box and would play coy with you if you found it, to the point of playing "Who, me?"

Gemini is very feisty, licking the windows, enjoying belly rubs and making herself the center of attention, going as far as sitting on my smart phone

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Advertisement
#2 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 7:23 AM
Oscar ~ Jet black and sleek like a baby panther ~ I found him abandoned in the doorway of a theatre when he was a kitten ~ (circa the mid 80s). Most cats like to bring their owners gifts, deposited gently outside the front door - a decapitated field mouse, or maybe the hind quarters of a small lizard. Oscar would bring me raw sausages. I have no idea where he got them. Sometimes he obviously couldn't help himself, as on occasion, the ends of the sausages would be a little nibbled.
#3 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 4:56 PM
One of my cats, Gracie, is very grumpy most of the time. She doesn't particularly enjoy being picked up, because she seemed to have learned that my mom will clean up her face because it gets dirty. And another one of my cats, Regan, is very sassy. She will meow when you pick her up, and it sounds like she's saying "no" in a very sassy way and sometimes she'll lick your face. Then there's one of my fosters, Hugo. He's very lazy, and whenever he meows, it sounds like "mao".

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

"A thunderstorm breaks the wall of darkness." - Lyrics to Storm

"Meh." - me
#4 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 5:02 PM
I had this black cat, he was a born wild, but I we became friends when he was a tiny kitten. Even as a kitten, he showed no fear, and stared down our much larger dogs

He killed all the mice, shrews and even rats in our neighbourhood, and yes, nothing like finding a large, dead rat on your floor as a gift.

Frequently, I would find bits of tabby cat in my yard. Trouble was, my cat was not a tabby.

He was especially cruel to mice. The way he played with them gave me shudders.

I would pet him, but when he had enough, he would scratch me savagely.

He mellowed out once he got to middle age for a cat, and with his mellowing we became fast friends. He passed away at 14, which was a long life for an outdoor cat. I wept for days.

I'm sure he's ruling all the cats in hell.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 6:41 PM
Both of my cats chew on each others whiskers during their groom sessions to the point where it gets ripped off, and they don't seem to mind that at all while it happens (I did tried to stop them but it didn't work).

My black cat also often gather leaves and sticks from the "small garden" on the window and leaves it all on the hall.
Scholar
#6 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 9:48 PM
All my cats were inherited when my dad bought his house. Our neighbor also took care of them.

Martin AKA The "Zombie Cat" - One eye, patchy orange fur, once had mange. He looked like death on paws but was a complete sweetheart. He ended up getting super sick and my dad hat to take him out back and put him down.

Pudge - Got her tail caught in a freezer and was never the same since. We called her psycho cat. She would claw without warning anyone but me. Had to have her put down.

Bittie (Bits) - The princess of all the cats. Soft, fluffy, loved belly rubs. She had flabby skin and fur that hung low so she always looked pregnant even though she was fixed. But she gave birth to 60% of the feral cats in town before she got fixed. She went missing for an entire year. We gave up looking for her thinking she had gotten snatched up by a coyote. She showed up randomly on another neighbor's back porch unable to use her hind legs which were tore up. Had to be put down.

Rocky - My baby. My big dumbass. He looked fat but he was really muscular. Soft grey fur. He liked to stick his tongue out and look at you with his eyes half open. He was once the badass of the all the feral cats before he got fixed. His meow was the softest, sweetest thing in the universe. He bobbed his head and licked anything he could find when you scratched his butt. He got hit by a car. I miss him so much.

Bobbi Dylan - A female Snowshoe (like Grumpy Cat but with a cuter face) who gave birth to a litter of kittens in the bush behind my neighbor's garage. She's a lovebug but her kittens hate everyone. She has the prettiest blue eyes I've ever seen. She doesn't meow, she squeaks. She's alive. <3

The secret ingredient is phone.
Growing up means watching my heroes turn human in front of me.
Thank you, O Mighty Doom Deity! - BL00DIEHELL
#7 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 10:07 PM
Apparently, cats presenting you with a dead mouse/rat/bird that they killed is them showing you how to hunt. I personally think it's kinda useless if you don't need to hunt to get food.

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

"A thunderstorm breaks the wall of darkness." - Lyrics to Storm

"Meh." - me
#8 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 11:22 PM
Mia would growl loudly and purr quietly. Her sister Puma was the other way around. XD
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 1:44 AM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 11th Jul 2015 at 5:30 AM.
Addendum:

Nike had a bad chewing habit: bread bags, nylon straps and even underwear elastic. She also would use her declawed front paws as a way of grabbing attention.

To be clear, we never ever declawed our cats, but spaying was part of it. So, usually the cats were in as-is condition when we received them.

Mitzi (1988-2003, adopted 1998) had a thing for GoldFish Crackers. It was weird.

Socks is scared of rustling plastic bags. She's not much a hunter. But she is a scavenger. Took 3 rashers of bacon from us 3 times. She even was ambushed by Nike after one too many ambushes. While Socks was pinned, Nike let out a long yowl, as if to say "I had enough of this shit, now leave me alone, I'm old!"

Fox, when she was a kitten, would fart as a defense mechanism when distressed by people holding her.

Gemini also loves to model and sleep on top of the vents of a cable box. She's a big Michael Jackson fan and like singing along when mom is working in her craft room.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Scholar
#10 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 5:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Graveyard Snowflake
Apparently, cats presenting you with a dead mouse/rat/bird that they killed is them showing you how to hunt. I personally think it's kinda useless if you don't need to hunt to get food.

None of my cats did this. They all detested hunting. Although one time Bittie acted like she was teaching me how to hunt dragonflies. When one would land, she's rub against me, look at me, look at the dragonfly, look at me again and then pounce.

"This is how you do it human. Now you will never ho hungry again. I take good care of my human." <3

The secret ingredient is phone.
Growing up means watching my heroes turn human in front of me.
Thank you, O Mighty Doom Deity! - BL00DIEHELL
Spice Pony
#11 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 6:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by IAmDeath
He bobbed his head and licked anything he could find when you scratched his butt.

That's apparently a common cat trait. To be honest, it kind of freaks me out; the way my cat twitches when that happens makes it look like he doesn't want to lick whatever's in front of him; he just has to, like it's a secret command code programmed into his nervous system or something.

Anyway, I'm kinda tired to be thinking much, but does hunting bats count? Our basement used to open up to a cave, so bats were always showing up. My cat, Ramu, the fat tub of lard, would leap ten feet in the air, straight up, to catch bats in flight. More than once I'd be moving furniture around only to find a mangled bat hiding under it in an attempt to escape the cat. I once saw him displaying similar hunting behavior to attempt to catch a helium balloon.

Actually, speaking of hunting behavior, back when he had all that body fat (before the dog chased it out of him, poor thing), he utilised it. I once caught him killing a mouse he'd caught by sitting on it. No joke.

When I was younger, and had friends over, he used to particularly enjoy sleeping on the face of one of them, in particular. This was when he was still overweight, mind you.

Back when I played the Nintendo 64 on a regular basis, he had an annoying habit of stepping on the cartridge right in the middle of a long and unsaveable game. This "affinity" for technology earned him the name "Technocat".

I've got loads more. Ramu's been with us for a long time. But I should really go to bed.

Oh, yeah. Not my cat, but there's another good story: I've always been good with cats, see? Once I was over at a friend's house, and he had this cat the whole family swore was basically Satan. He made used of his claws whenever possible, and he hated being held. So naturally, the first time we interacted, he walked right up to me, hopped up on my lap, and started purring.
Scholar
#12 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 7:29 AM
My cat Cooper is not very weird.
He is a grey cat with a white strip along his stomach.

Whenever him and my dog play fight they make sure that I are not watching, if I am they stop and stare at me. When I leave they resume, if I approach he goes and runs off to meow at me from the kitchen, the dog then becomes such an attention seeker.

He loves sleeping in my bed under my blankets. forget the face, the chest is what the cat sleeps on.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 12:20 PM
I have a cat named Cat. Rescued the bugger from an old race track that isn't used anymore, where there is a huge feral colony. Lucky for me she was one that was trapped and released when she was younger. She was supposed to be a foster, and almost a year later, she's still here. She has this really annoying habit of sitting on my stomach and mewing in my face until I wake up. And knocks everything off the counters. Nothing is safe. Of course, balancing all this is the fact that she is very protective of Eve, sleeping at the foot of her bed with her almost all night, and following her around all day. I kid you not, they are both sitting in front of me playing with a length of ribbon together. It's rather adorable.

She was rouge and red lips, dark hair and soft hips, mischief and laughter - and she wanted you to love her faster.