Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 8:11 PM
Default What kinds of parties would\do you throw.
For those with experience hosting parties, do you tend to have intimate get togethers for a round or two of video games or is it so wild that foot prints are on the ceiling

I never hosted parties due to lack of friends. My Vent entry was more a guess because I can be boring when something happens to me.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 8:19 PM
I've never hosted a party, my flat is quite small, especially with a wide-screen tv taking up almost half of the width of the room. but every once in a while, I invite 3 or so friends over and me or my boyfriend will cook a meal and I'd make red velvet cakes once every few months, but then one of my friends turned vegan, so we hosted 'vegan night' instead where we'd all have a vegan meal. Sadly two of my friends have moved back to their hometown so I don't see them anymore

I'd love to one day be able to throw a proper dinner party. I like dinner parties, they're all fancy-looking. I don't care for lots of alcohol and music and people getting drunk and vomiting all over my walls. I'd rather have a nice meal, maybe serve some wine and sit around talking.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#3 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 8:26 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 26th Sep 2015 at 8:38 PM.
I hate parties, except for calmer ones like family parties and informal dinner parties, or intimate get-togethers with a few friends. I'm not that big a fan of going to parties where I hardly know anyone (unless there's good food or cakes...)

I'm no fan of alcohol, noise and loud music, so I rarely go to those kind of parties unless I for some reason have to. Last time is several years ago, and only because my ex dragged me there.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 9:34 PM
I prefer to have smaller gatherings because I never feel that I've given people enough attention at larger gatherings. I love having a couple of friends over for potluck or a supper I've made and watching a movie or playing a table game together. When I had my own home and lived in a great neighborhood, I used to throw caroling parties around Christmas time. My boyfriend likes to throw feasts at ceremonial times and those are fun, too. Sometimes, he has a party of people over in the winter and we go cross-country skiing together.
#5 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 9:40 PM
When I lived in Ireland I used to have many dinner parties - 6 or 8/10 people. I used to try and invite people who would interest each other, perfect strangers who left as new found friends; I believe as a host, one has a duty to provide a little more than food and drink. I'd enjoy the planning of the menu and matching the wines and making the table as attractive as possible, but I'd enjoy the cooking most of all. My current society is a little too casual for European style dinner parties but one day, when I'm home in Ireland once more ... I'll do it again.
Test Subject
#6 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 10:35 PM
Ahhh man i love all parties. My house is very small, so only once i've managed to squeeze 15 people in my living room for my 18th birthday. My sister was 12 at the time had her best friend round and they hid everyone's shoes. I had a very disgruntled friend who was unable to find one shoe and walked home to the next town in the snow with one shoe >__<. We found it in the freezer the next day. Haven't tried again since.

I enjoy having board game nights with family or friends. Rapidough, cards against humanity, mario party and game of life are staples. I think of them more of 'gatherings' than a party. I don't go to many house parties now as all my friends are over 18 and can drink quite comfortably in a pub. My best friend was always able and it was a great way of meeting new people. I almost kind of miss it!
#8 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 11:16 PM
Long ago, I had D&D parties. Beer, Doritos, and play D&D. All guys, of course.

It was quite toxic relationship wise.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9 Old 27th Sep 2015 at 12:09 AM
These days, dinner parties of refinement.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Scholar
#10 Old 27th Sep 2015 at 9:42 AM
I don't like parties. Besides i don't have enough friends near my home. xD'
Alchemist
#11 Old 27th Sep 2015 at 2:10 PM
Always a party with BlackJack and hookers! Nah. I like parties but rather with a small group of friends instead of clubbing, even though I sometimes go.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#12 Old 27th Sep 2015 at 3:13 PM
Besides missing the essential part of having friends, I'm not the person throwing parties. At best I would visit them. If I had friends and they would have thrown some parties.
Scholar
#13 Old 27th Sep 2015 at 3:47 PM
Parties are unappealing to me. I get uncomfortable around people who like drinking and drugs and stuff... The only party I'll attend are official work holiday ones (if I ever got invited to someone else's, my workplace doesn't really do them) or family get-togethers.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Theorist
#14 Old 27th Sep 2015 at 5:57 PM
I throw amazing events and parties, as long as I've got someone else to host it for me. 5-5000, I've done everything from intimate dinner parties to small convention planning, one offs to weeklies. I just don't want to have to smile and shake everyone's hand when they get there, I don't want to have to deal with the DJs or celebrities, I don't want to know if we've "got" to have drugs for people, and I don't want anyone to bother me for three days afterward.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 28th Sep 2015 at 12:37 AM
Only ever been dinner parties- while I was at university, me and most of the other members of my Model United Nations club all enjoyed cooking, so essentially every Sunday night we'd meet up at someone's house for a cooking/eating affair. The cooking was actually even more fun than the eating part, usually! I'd hoped to get the seasonal staff in the Park together to do a similar thing this summer, but there wasn't enough culinary enthusiasm... such a shame.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Theorist
#16 Old 1st Oct 2015 at 4:26 PM
In the past year, I've hosted several Dinner parties, House parties, a few Black & white parties, and a couple wedding parties. Birthday parties not so much because I have aging off. I think I do pretty good, got plenty of gold medals.

Oh, you mean in real life? Nah, never hosted a real party, kind of need friends for that.
Does telling someone there's a party in my pants count?

Resident wet blanket.
Theorist
#17 Old 2nd Oct 2015 at 6:36 AM
Seriously, parties are more about planning, time management, and organization than people if you're in charge. A well done event doesn't hardly require your actual presence and/or social interaction. It invites for itself, entertains for itself, and more or less occupies your time in a way that's less "on stage" as much as rolling out the meticulously timed interruptions to "people together" like food, music, lectures, movies, etc. It's more like doing a dinner rush at a restaurant than dancing.
Inventor
#18 Old 2nd Oct 2015 at 11:34 AM
The closest thing to a party I do is invite my two best friends over, kick my boyfriend out (he usually goes to his friends house or his brothers) and play SingStar and talk about... Stuff.

Me and my partner have been 'engaged' for about as long as we've been together, but the longer it goes, the less it seems we'll even bother getting married.
But everyone wants us to have a party. A reception. But neither of us want one, we won't enjoy it, and if we changed it to suit our tastes, no one else would enjoy it so there would be no point in having one. The thing is, when we said we would probably only have a ceremony then go home, his mum and step dad were like "You have to have a party after for your guests" and we were like "we don't want to pay for a party when we wont enjoy it" and then they were like "we'll pay for it" so now really, without looking like selfish assholes, we have no choice but to have a reception if we get married. They even tried to say we couldn't have pizza instead of a wedding cake, because "some people don't like/can't eat pizza" well fuck off, I don't like cake (like, I REALLY don't like cake) but I can still find something to eat at weddings, why should I suffer on my own wedding day?? If I have to sit in a smelly hall listening to music I hate "for my guests" the least I want is some pizza to help me through.

My perfect party would have NO music, or at least VERY quiet so that you can talk to people without shouting.
The food would be like a buffet but all the food would be covered, and someone wearing gloves and using the proper utensils would serve the food, because I've seen people cough into their hands then pick up a bit of food, inspect it then put it back and pick another bit, and I've seen people sneeze OVER the food...
There would be no entertainment, only the other guests to talk to. No children. No alcohol. No drugs.
But I know most people wouldn't enjoy that.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 5th Oct 2015 at 8:40 PM
For last 10 or so years, parties have just been dinner parties. People are my age, so educated and well-traveled. We all have known each other for years, so conversation is easy. I can only fit 6 people in the house, but 8 or so outside -- and I prefer a BBQ. I've had neighborhood dinner or finger-food parties that are more wild, and I like that TOO! Although I plan and cook everything for dinners (my favorite part), some people (like husband's ex-girlfriend) insist on bringing things. But sometimes it's just too much; the Christmas dinner, for the same people every year, was husband's idea, but it means 2 days of prep and cooking for me, and cleaning his huge greasy mess. And for some reason I always feel irritated and anxious. This year, even if he's around, I plan on being out of state.