Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Remove stencils/overlays from build/buy/CAS objects in game (edited 01/16/2014)

by velocitygrass Posted 9th Jun 2012 at 11:59 AM - Updated 16th Jan 2014 at 5:25 PM by velocitygrass : Note about patch 1.66

238 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 98 Feedback Posts, 139 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 10
Tartan McBadgerface
THANKS POST
#2 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 12:35 PM
Thank you so much! I'll be trying this in about five minutes!
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 12:40 PM
@Hellfrozeover: Thank you. I'd love to hear if it works as expected.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#4 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 1:28 PM
Oh, I wish I could click "Thank you" more than once!
Instructor
#5 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 1:33 PM
Wow, this is awesome!!!

I tested it in game with a few store items (I realized afterwards that the african table already had a stencil-free preset, durr, but this was using your mod) and a couple of my own custom items and it seems to work just fine!

(You can find the rug here and the small painting here )

Great job, thank you for sharing!
Screenshots

"Deep down I'm pretty superficial"

Scholar
THANKS POST
#6 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 2:01 PM
Love it, thank you!!
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#7 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 2:07 PM
You are a GENIUS! Just what I always wanted! Thanks!
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 2:09 PM
@alexpilgrim: Thank you very much. The usefulness really depends on the item. E.g. the pinboard probably makes little sense without overlay, though maybe for post-apocalyptic/grungy looks it could work. The little rolling box and the hexagonal endtable look a lot more neutral though. I'm really happy that this will open up some objects for wider usability. Thanks for the feedback and the example pictures.
Instructor
#9 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 2:22 PM
@velocitygrass You're welcome! Yes, I realized as I was taking the screenshots that the usefulness on some decorative items may seem more limited (though, who knows what one might want to use it for, right?), but I couldn't find in the CC I have in my game other items (chairs, counters, whatever) with stencils to show as examples... On the other hand it might make a whole lot of custom paintings castable as long as what's behind the stencil/overlay is an independent channel.

"Deep down I'm pretty superficial"

Inventor
Original Poster
#10 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 2:36 PM
@alexpilgrim: Oh, that wasn't a criticism of your selection. I also had a picture in my example. I think in most cases the area behind overlays belongs to one of the existing channels, but even that opens up some opportunities if you don't mind CASting the frame along with the back.

And as you said, one never knows when it might come in handy. I'm always blown away by the creativity of builders in the community, so I'm happy to contribute this little tool.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#11 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 2:37 PM
Brilliant!! Thanks for sharing
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#12 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 2:56 PM
This is too good to be true, I never think that would be possible, ever, in my game. I'm just in awe of your creativity and talent. Thank you.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#13 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 3:13 PM
thank you very much. appreciate you sharing your talents and creativity with the sims world!!
Scholar
THANKS POST
#14 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 3:22 PM
Wow! You have made my day! Thank you so much for making this genial mod. So many ea objects are ugly because of their stencils and will now become nice.... Thanks again.
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#15 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 4:22 PM
Oh. My. God!
Alchemist
THANKS POST
#16 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 5:22 PM
This is just *so* awesome. There are so many things just don't use because I hate the stencils.
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#17 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 6:35 PM
Wonderful! Velocitygrass, I don't know what we'd do without you.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#18 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 6:39 PM
hi, could you upload the sim on the screenshot, please?
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 7:42 PM
Thank you so much! This is so very useful and should really be a decorating option for all objects with a stencil. I wish however, it would work on the Pharaoh's Stone Railing. I tried it on this first but it didn't work. Maybe that design is not a stencil? It did work on the Rustic column. Good job!!
Eminence Grise
THANKS POST
#20 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 8:09 PM Last edited by Srikandi : 9th Jun 2012 at 9:05 PM.
Oh... My... ok somebody already said that.

Seriously, though, this is BRILLIANT There are a million mods that remove stencils from things (I made one as my first test of S3OC when it came out), but who wants to have to get a new one every time a new object is put in the game?!

Never even occurred to me that an approach like this could work, you're a genius :D

Edit: Been testing it in my game, mostly works exactly as expected! A couple of comments:

I used it on the domino table (fancy scrollwork be gone), and the castle-style bunk bed (ugly shield decals eradicated), Sunny Bungalow Slide (painted on window eliminated!), ugly base game stenciled shades Cortinas Festivas and Traditional Curtains (now non-ugly)!

Some objects didn't have the "remove stencil" option where I would have expected it... one frameless oriental painting for instance (was just messing around, obviously as you said you don't really WANT to remove stencils from paintings )

Stained glass windows become solid wood, obviously, like the door example in your upload... ok for doors, not so useful for windows, I understand why this is though However, on the windows with soap bubble decals from Town Life stuff, the bubbles stayed solid but the bubble stencil was removed, making em recolorable, which is great.

I found a couple of objects where apparently nothing happened, but the "remove stencil" option didn't go away... they're complex and/or scripted objects, might there be multiple stencils on them? Not sure. Extraordin-AIRE-inator lifetime reward object, Princess and the Pauper Treehouse, pet toy crate, Class-E Bookcase. Tried "remove stencils" multiple times on each of these with no change. Not a biggie, just thought you'd like to know

Anyway, I think this is possibly the best TS3 mod EVER, since it multiplies the number of objects I am able to use in my game without fear of kitsch Thanks a zillion!
Eminence Grise
THANKS POST
#21 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 8:44 PM
BTW, question... any way to undo it short of re-buying the object? If I understand how you implemented this, probably not, but just checking. The effect it had on the turtle play table was not exactly what I expected
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#22 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 9:10 PM
What a fantastic idea, thank you!
Test Subject
#23 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 9:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
BTW, question... any way to undo it short of re-buying the object? If I understand how you implemented this, probably not, but just checking. The effect it had on the turtle play table was not exactly what I expected

I could be wrong, but if I've read this correctly, then you would have to CAST the object and select a stenciled version in order to get it back. You could also save the stencil free version in there as a preset as well.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#24 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 9:21 PM
Holy shit, this is AMAZING! I can get rid of a bunch of my destenciling mods now (some of them are even standalone objects, causing dupes in the catalogue), not to mention, I don't have to go hunting for destenciling mods for new objects anymore! This is a huge, game-changing mod.

And by the way, I love all the mods/apps you create! You make stuff that allows noobs like to me to mod my own game; you make us self-sufficient! Thank you, velocitygrass! :D
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#25 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 9:46 PM
Amazing! How is that even possible?! Are you a code god or what?
Oooh why didn't you upload this wonder last week, that is, before I install a gazillion of un-stencilized game and store stuff! *facepalm*
Off to try your mod and track down all the now useless files to remove, YAY!
Page 1 of 10