Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Remove stencils/overlays from build/buy/CAS objects in game (edited 01/16/2014)

by velocitygrass Posted 9th Jun 2012 at 11:59 AM - Updated 16th Jan 2014 at 5:25 PM by velocitygrass : Note about patch 1.66

238 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 98 Feedback Posts, 139 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 10
Eminence Grise
#26 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 9:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sfwmd825
I could be wrong, but if I've read this correctly, then you would have to CAST the object and select a stenciled version in order to get it back. You could also save the stencil free version in there as a preset as well.

Ah, very good point, yes this works d'oh!

Edit: Playing with CaSTable paintings now You can replace the "art" with a pattern, most effective where there's more than one CaST channel so the frame (if there is one) remains separately colored. Capital City Skyline works great
Inventor
Original Poster
#27 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 9:48 PM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 10th Jun 2012 at 4:30 AM. Reason: Please use queue to share unrelated uploads.
@divalbw2: Oh yes, the Pharaoh's Stone Railing. Definitely one of the objects I wished I could de-stencil. I think the script has problems with (some) multi-part objects. I did notice the corner counter while testing, now stairs/railings too. Since it's recolorable, the railing has to have a preset that stores that color info, but it appears that selection by GUI doesn't work, maybe because it stores this information in a group object or something which in itself has no geometry to select. I noticed that the "Delete it" and "Clone" interactions that I have on all objects in Build mode (with cheats on) also don't work on the railings. I'll have to investigate if there's a way around that. Thanks for the feedback!

@Srikandi: Thanks for the thorough report On to some answers/questions:

Frameless oriental painting: Could it be that it's not recolorable since it's frameless? I make changes to the preset that is stored with the item with the CAST info, so if an item is not recolorable, there is no preset to change.

"Remove stencil" option remaining: Actually, the option doesn't check if if the stencils are disabled and overlay overriden, so it always remains on, though that should be an easy change to make for a future version.

Some objects not changing: I noticed this too right now in some tests. My first tests before posting were in a base game environment only (because it loads so much faster, which is very helpful when repeatedly restarting), so the number of test items were limited. Thanks for listing various examples. I'll have to take a look at where the information about their stencil/overlay is and if it can be overridden somehow.

Undo: As sfwmd825 said, a simple recast by clicking on a preset should be enough.

@sfwmd825: That's correct on both accounts. Thank you.

@Iggysaurus & MiniMimi: You should probably check first if destenciling works on those particular objects since there are some limitations! Thank you.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#28 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 10:18 PM
@velocitygrass Thank You very Much!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#29 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 11:35 PM
YOU ARE AN ABSOLUTE GENIUS! This is just inexplicably helpful! and will DRASTICALLY reduce the amount of custom content in my game! You cannot be thanked enough for this!

Best.
Mod.
Ever!
Test Subject
#30 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 11:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AnnaIME
Oh, I wish I could click "Thank you" more than once!

Ditto! I'm trying it out now.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#31 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 1:16 AM
Yes. Yes! I'm so excited about this: I have a ton of destencils, but this will be a wonderful replacement and I can use it for the things I don't have mods for (that darn Store Dr. Pepper folding chair, for instance). This will be insanely useful in lot-building, and I LOVE that the changes stick around for downloaders who don't have the mod. This will help me clean up my catalog and my downloads, and will increase the versatility of tons of objects that I only used sparingly until now. Very cool.

I'd be thrilled to see something like this for stenciled clothing as well, if it's possible (and if you wanted to do it, of course).
Mother Function
retired moderator THANKS POST
#32 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 1:44 AM
Holy F-ing Christ! Nuff said.
Test Subject
#33 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 1:55 AM
This is just awesome! Trying to remove some stencils with S3PE made my eyes cross.

Thank you very much.
Mad Poster
#34 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 3:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daluved1
Holy F-ing Christ! Nuff said.

Heh! The words that popped into my head were: Holy Crap BATMAN!!!

But yeah...this is so awesome!
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#35 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 4:20 AM
This is genius!! Seriously I can't even explain how genius this is. I don't think there isn't a mod you've made that hasn't went straight into my package folders...Lol Now I might have some use for the Katy Perry crap pack!! You do EA such a service!!! lol Thank you!!
Test Subject
#36 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 5:54 AM
I've been doing some experimenting with this awesome new mod, and I've been pretty pleased with the results:

I experimented with some store items, I'm particularly thrilled to be able to get rid of the shamrock on the St. Patrick's day flag found here . Now it can be used for all sorts of custom flag deco.

PS: it works on build items too... though the results are mixed...
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#37 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 6:27 AM
Works like a charm, the stencil flowers and bones on that one pet food dish always annoyed me, and now it's gone! I never thought something like this could be possible, especially with CC.
Inventor
THANKS POST
#38 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 8:26 AM
Thanks a million! There were so many items I wouldn't use because of the stencil.
Top Secret Researcher
#39 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 9:29 AM Last edited by MiniMimi : 10th Jun 2012 at 12:53 PM.
I was only able to test a bit yesterday and it's stunning! It works with most of EA's items, thankfully it works on most of the kids stencils EA slapped on the furniture like everywhere *happy*

What I noticed though is that the option don't appear on the items you can drag in live mode and don't appear either on the island counters. The country island only showed the option for the snack bowl.

Edit: a drag-able item showed the remove stencil option (the playable rabbit from the free store Chinese New Year set) and it works! You cannot imagine how that stencil annoyed me and how relieved I was to remove it!
Scholar
THANKS POST
#40 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 1:34 PM
Total awesomeness...you rock!
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#41 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 2:30 PM
You make the best mods... and this is no exception!
I'll be using this like ranch dressing (on everything).
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#42 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 3:56 PM
Today is a good day to be Sim'n!
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#43 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 7:02 PM
OMG THIS IS GOING TO BE MY NEW FAVORITE MOD!!! GENIUS!!!! You're my HEROOOO~!!!! :D
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#44 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 7:46 PM
Lovely mod. I swear that all of my recent sims 3 wishes have just been granted this one glorious day I decided to access this site. Thanks so much.
Inventor
Original Poster
#45 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 10:10 PM
@bitterquill: The same mechanism could work similarly for clothing. I've been thinking about that, but I wanted to keep the scope of the mod small for now. If nobody else does it first, I'll probably check how difficult this would be.

@slhancox: Yes, stairs and rails don't have the interaction, and I imagine other objects that consist of several parts (e.g. fences, fireplaces). I'm collecting the objects that are reported right now and then will do some tests.

@MiniMimi: Were the drag-able items where the option didn't appear recolorable? Because if they have no presets at all, the mod won't work for them. And thanks for reporting the island counter. I had only tried the regular one.

Everyone: Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad the mod is useful. Please keep reporting objects it doesn't work on. (Keep in mind that they have to be recolorable, though.) I'll take a look at them and see if I find a workaround for them.
Eminence Grise
#46 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 10:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by velocitygrass
@bitterquill: The same mechanism could work similarly for clothing. I've been thinking about that, but I wanted to keep the scope of the mod small for now. If nobody else does it first, I'll probably check how difficult this would be.

This is excellent news
Inventor
THANKS POST
#47 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 11:31 PM
This did not work at all on the bed or cabinets you posted pictures of (in my game). It did work on other stuff, even several things that didn't really have stencils.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#48 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 11:34 PM
This is great , thank you!
Instructor
THANKS POST
#49 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 11:47 PM
funny how I only see amazing creations only after they are featured >.>
do you know how space your gonna save on my computer, definitely less CC.
if only now this would work with clothing. still the possibilities are truly endless.
thank-you. and congrats on a truly revolutionarycreation!
Veteran Finn
retired moderator THANKS POST
#50 Old 11th Jun 2012 at 4:17 AM
This mod put me || <-- this close to wanting to update my game and start building again!

Absolutely one of the best mods in a long time - great job and well deserved feature! :lovestruc
Page 2 of 10