Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Meshing Toolkit - version 1.4.9 uploaded 12/20/2018

by CmarNYC Posted 26th Jul 2012 at 2:58 PM - Updated 20th Dec 2018 at 3:05 PM by CmarNYC

296 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 209 Feedback Posts, 86 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 5 of 12
Lab Assistant
#101 Old 24th Oct 2012 at 4:17 PM
may be you know why it is like this...
i use mesh with body and tail also only body, i combine them with your toolkit and asigned bones
and i get this... what is wrong?
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#102 Old 24th Oct 2012 at 7:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Assuming I've tracked down the error correctly, this is caused by the reference mesh having one or more faces with two of its vertex points in the same location. This probably shouldn't happen, but things aren't always ideal.

I changed the code to ignore the error and carry on - it shouldn't affect the outcome. Try the attached update - there's another couple of bug fixes in there and also the package file identifier function to name GEOMS, blends, etc in a package without file names that I'm working on. Please let me know if it works!

I plugged everything into the new version of Toolkit and got out some beautiful morphs with all of their bones assigned. Nicely done Cmar, I swear this is one of the tools I'd pay for if I had to. I couldn't mesh without it.
Odd that the problem was with the reference mesh -- it was one of my working meshes I've used in the past to copy bones from and create lower lod's (at least I thought it was anyway). Whatever happened, it's all more gooder now! Once I finish the lod's and save it with TSRW I'll let ya know how it does with ID'ing those pesky anonymous files.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#103 Old 24th Oct 2012 at 8:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Cat_Kira
Thanks! i hope it help me... but can you tell about conversion tool something? i mean what is it? =))

If you mean the Conversion Tools tab, all those are for converting pet meshes to a form that's compatible for editing in Milkshape without losing the second set of UV data. Pet meshes have two UVs and this takes one of them and stores the information in another field and then converts it back. At some point I'll do a tutorial on how to do this - it's pretty confusing even for me. I wrote that stuff mostly for myself for a project I was working on but it may be useful for other people too.

may be you know why it is like this...
i use mesh with body and tail also only body, i combine them with your toolkit and asigned bones
and i get this... what is wrong?

I worked a little with someone else doing a blanket who had similar problems. I think the problem is that the Auto-bone assigns bones to the belly since those are the closest vertices, and then the bottom of the blanket morphs along with the belly. You could try making the blanket mesh shorter (just scale it smaller in the Y axis and move it up), export and do the Auto-bone, import it again to MS, scale it back to full size, and move it to the right position. It's worth a try.

BTW, for your long mane, you could try the same thing - scale it short, do the bone assignments, then scale it down long again.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#104 Old 25th Oct 2012 at 5:42 AM Last edited by Cat_Kira : 25th Oct 2012 at 5:53 AM.
thanks, i will try.
but there is one problem< when i use autobone i get 44 bones for example.
when i import then export from milkshape i get 32 bones... so it is not good...
i have the latest dll for milkshape... but i use wso not geom... Do I need to use the geom instead wso?

about Conversion Tools
i have try to use it... but i didn't like that it use geom.... because i use wso more =)))
1. i have converted geom with save UV using your tool
2. i have converted geom to wso using your tool
3. i got the object same that imported from tsrw =))

what difficult is between keep uv1 save uv 2 and keep uv2 save uv 1? %(
is this tool help me to finish my creating devil tail for cats? =)))
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#105 Old 25th Oct 2012 at 8:51 AM
The WSO import/export may not be keeping all the bones. A lot of the pet bones are new. Have you checked to see if there's a new version of the WSO Milkshape plugin? Since they're doing horse meshes now i would think they've updated it. It would just be worse with GEOM for the same reason, since the import/export plugins are badly out of date.

For accessories like a blanket you shouldn't need to worry about the two UV sets. For a mane, I don't know. The difference between the options in the conversion tools is just what it says - you can keep the first UV set in the mesh as the UV and save the second in a converted form, or keep the second set as the UV and save the first in converted form. Then later you convert the saved set back to a UV. And yes, for a cat tail you probably need to do this. I really have to write that tutorial.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#106 Old 25th Oct 2012 at 12:46 PM Last edited by Cat_Kira : 25th Oct 2012 at 1:16 PM.
yes... you have to... i need it =)))
tsrw did horse meshes earlier... but i will check new version dll one more

UPD: i have updated dll but get the same results... bones count has decreased
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#107 Old 25th Oct 2012 at 2:07 PM
yes... you have to... i need it =)))
tsrw did horse meshes earlier... but i will check new version dll one more

UPD: i have updated dll but get the same results... bones count has decreased

Yeah, I'm getting the same thing. Unfortunately I can't do anything about the WSO plugins. You could try posting over at the TSRW forums - I got them to add my fix for tangent normals to the latest version that way so they do pay attention to those forums.

For your reference mesh, did you use a horse body you combined using Milkshape or using Toolkit? If you used Milkshape it seems likely some of the bones are missing or messed up. I've attached the horse body I put together with Toolkit - for some reason I haven't figured out it's got a different number of bones in the base mesh and the morphs, but that shouldn't matter for Auto-bone.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  ah_body.zip (787.6 KB, 16 downloads)
Lab Assistant
#108 Old 25th Oct 2012 at 2:57 PM
i combined it with your toolkit
i have made blanket shoter but i have problem with only back right side...
and no matter how much it is short
Screenshots
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#109 Old 25th Oct 2012 at 5:23 PM
Can you upload the blanket mesh?
Lab Assistant
#110 Old 25th Oct 2012 at 5:43 PM
sent pm (long mesh)
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#111 Old 25th Oct 2012 at 7:40 PM
It's both sides. The blanket bones are assigned to the legs, so the blanket moves with the leg. You're seeing the right side in CAP because the horse is posed with the right leg forward. There's nothing Toolkit can do about it, I'm afraid. Have you tried changing the bone assignments in Milkshape? I know it'll remove some of the bones but maybe it'll look okay?
Sockpuppet
#112 Old 25th Oct 2012 at 8:54 PM
i noticed they updated the plugin dll's, might have gone something wrong.
Try the older ones?
Lab Assistant
#113 Old 26th Oct 2012 at 4:50 AM
CmarNYC
i have tried changing the bone assignments without toolkit, but it did not make a smooth...too much bones =(

BloomsBase
how old they should be?
Field Researcher
#114 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 11:57 PM
I just tried out "Name Those Files" under the Package Tools tab in the unreleased Toolkit. VERY nice! I'm going to get plenty of use out of that one for sure. Will it be released soon? I'll update the post in the meshing forum as soon as people have access to it!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#115 Old 28th Oct 2012 at 1:58 AM
I want to include an 'Add morphs to package' before releasing it - assuming metro NYC has no power outages during Sandy, should be sometime next week. Been spending my time on Skininator (CC skintones) but getting close to wrapping it up.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#116 Old 1st Nov 2012 at 8:58 PM
I only use this for TS2 (thanks, Bloom), but this is excellent, brilliant, and a huge help in making morphs and assigning bones. Thank you very much!
Field Researcher
#117 Old 16th Nov 2012 at 5:00 PM Last edited by sciguy77 : 16th Nov 2012 at 7:58 PM.
I could be way off here, but it seems to me a logical thing to add to Toolkit would be an east fix for the waist seam issue. If Milkshape is responsible for the problem, could Toolkit possibly identify all the misplaced vertices at the waist, "snap" them into the proper location, assign the normals, and then fix the tangents all at once? If the problem is caused by a rounding error, the vertices won't be very far from their proper location -- possibly even always moved to the same incorrect location. Just a thought. That darn seam drives me crazy and I have WAY too much CC from lots of creators where it's visible.
I'm afraid I don't have the smarts to do any coding myself. The last time I wrote any code the popular languages were Cobol, Pascal, and Fortran. SAMOS was the stepping stone to machine language -- nothing like what its become today!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#118 Old 17th Nov 2012 at 12:06 AM
One of the things I want to add is a troubleshooter, and one of the things it could look for and correct is the waist seam thing. BTW, it's not the location of the vertices that's off, it's the bone assignments. The tool could have the standard sets of vertex data for each age/gender and apply them.
Field Researcher
#119 Old 18th Nov 2012 at 5:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
The tool could have the standard sets of vertex data for each age/gender and apply them.

That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about! I know you keep busy with all kinds of projects -- the Toolkit is the one I've taken such an interest in because I use it so often. I'll keep looking for updates to that FM tool as they come out.
BTW, I just got hold of a massive package with 180 different items in it. If it weren't for the Package Tools in V1.2.0.4 I'd never have been able to track down the essentials for the 2 or 3 specific items I was looking for.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#120 Old 19th Nov 2012 at 4:51 AM
Amazing!!!
Really good to use
Thank you a lot!!!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#121 Old 4th Dec 2012 at 12:23 AM
this is a very very helpful
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#122 Old 4th Dec 2012 at 8:13 PM
I just wanted to say, thank you very, very much. Something like this is invaluable and I really am appreciative of the generosity in sharing this. Thank you!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#123 Old 28th Dec 2012 at 12:56 PM
Thanks! BIG Thanks ^^
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#124 Old 3rd Jan 2013 at 7:02 AM
Oh wow... This toolkit fixes all the TSR importing problems that have plagued me for the last several hours! (First time meshing accessories) ^^ Great post!
Test Subject
#125 Old 8th Jan 2013 at 7:23 AM
Hello. Can I lengthen a hair with this tool? Thanks.
Page 5 of 12