Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#6051 Old 16th Sep 2021 at 1:38 AM
I often tend to rotate with the , . buttons instead of the mouse, and I make sure the mouse is completely still when clicking to place (mouse mat and big, steady mouse that doesn't move too easily on its own helps). If you hold down the button while rotating, the sensitivity goes up, it seems, so I select the item, let go of the button while moving and rotating the item, then click to place - instead of placing and rotating in the same go. That seems to help.

For windows and doors, it has to do with which way you're facing, I think (placing them while facing outside VS inside). They will rotate around to the other side if you nudge them a bit, but the "default" will snap them to whichever way you're facing (and don't ask me which is the "default" side, I always have to figure it out ingame... I'm pretty sure I often place windows the wrong way around )
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#6052 Old 16th Sep 2021 at 1:39 AM
@AndrewGloria Sometimes the problem is figuring out which part is for the outdoor and which is not.
Lab Assistant
#6053 Old 16th Sep 2021 at 3:34 AM
-Capp Manor intensifies-

Seriously though, the way you face does indeed help a lot with placement, as does having the walls cutaway or fully down and the angle of the camera. As for interior-exterior side, Maxis windows and doors tend to have their exterior on the correct side when placed facing inwards, with the exception of later EPs like AL and M&G. I believe this generally goes for all the generations of the series bar the 4th?
Mad Poster
#6054 Old 18th Sep 2021 at 6:46 PM
Trying to get the sun to be positioned correctly when you're putting together an SC4 neighborhood terrain for TS2. It's bad enough that it reverses the terrain, it shouldn't be so hard to figure out the sun position too!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#6055 Old 18th Sep 2021 at 7:30 PM
♪♫ Here I come to save the day, Mightycatz is on her way.... ♪♫

So. After that buildup you'd think I have earth shattering, life altering news but no. Just wanted to let you all who have problems with things changing direction when you place them know that holding down Ctrl while placing can help.

That's all. Thank you for reading. ♥
Lab Assistant
#6056 Old 18th Sep 2021 at 11:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
♪♫ Here I come to save the day, Mightycatz is on her way.... ♪♫

So. After that buildup you'd think I have earth shattering, life altering news but no. Just wanted to let you all who have problems with things changing direction when you place them know that holding down Ctrl while placing can help.

That's all. Thank you for reading. ♥

Oh yeah, CTRL does slow it down by a bit! Thanks catz!
Mad Poster
#6057 Old 5th Oct 2021 at 12:36 PM
I have now got two outfits I can't upload due to my inability to figure out bones. Why can't Milkshape have an easier way to copy bone assignments?
Mad Poster
#6058 Old 6th Oct 2021 at 8:16 PM
I've had to search for subliminals to fix my eyesight because It started to get so bad I couldn't see well enough to play and have been using a few of the ones I downloaded to get that fixed and can finally start building again.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6059 Old 6th Oct 2021 at 8:25 PM
Oh no @TadOlson what is causing your eyesight to deteriorate? I need glasses for distance and close up, but thankfully the computer screen is just the right distance away for me!
Forum Resident
#6060 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 2:24 AM
I use glasses too, but mainly to reduce migraines that occur due to eyestrain. I can see without them, but my eyes have to work much harder, which results in migraines, so whenever I'm reading or on the computer (which is all the time), I wear my glasses. To help with that, I also have my game resolution set to 1440x900 and that seems to make the UI easier to see, you can see if that can help you too if you haven't already.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6061 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 12:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CrystalFlame360
To help with that, I also have my game resolution set to 1440x900 and that seems to make the UI easier to see, you can see if that can help you too if you haven't already.

My monitor (which was £10 from a second hand shop) is native to 1440X900 so I use that already. What can I say, I'm cheap!
Mad Poster
#6062 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 12:47 PM
@Simsample -I just did a search for subliminals on YouTube that would restore my eyesight and the ones I'm using are starting to do that.It might be a great idea for you to follow me in doing the same.I also used ClipGrab to get the videos because my internet can sometimes cut out and sites do go down.
Forum Resident
#6063 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 3:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
My monitor (which was £10 from a second hand shop) is native to 1440X900 so I use that already. What can I say, I'm cheap!

Wow, that's a great price for a monitor as long as it works! My monitor is a hand-me-down funnily enough, so I guess you could say mine is even cheaper I don't know how much it was bought for originally, but I know for definite it isn't newer than 2017 as that's when I got it.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6064 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 4:29 PM
@CrystalFlame360 Yes, it had a six month 'warranty' on it and that was around six years ago, I think. Prior to that I was using my daughter's old monitor, which I bought new for her in 2005 and she discarded when she got a laptop for Uni. All I play on this particular computer is Sims, Sim City and Cities Skylines, so there's not much point having anything fancy! I only throw things out when they stop working, I built this current computer when Portal 2 was released back in 2011-ish because my previous processor wasn't modern enough to play it. Otherwise I would have carried the old one on for a bit longer!
Forum Resident
#6065 Old 7th Oct 2021 at 11:39 PM
I only throw things out when they stop working, I built this current computer when Portal 2 was released back in 2011-ish because my previous processor wasn't modern enough to play it. Otherwise I would have carried the old one on for a bit longer!

I'm the exact same actually. Before one of my phones bricked itself five months ago (this same phone also had my Sims 2 notes on it, so I wasn't happy), I'd had it for seven years. I'd gotten it for my 14th birthday and it lasted me until this year, where I'm 20 turning 21 this month. I'd gotten really attached to it. Currently, I'm using a phone that was handed down to me about two months after I'd received the now dead one in 2014. My sister had it for 2 years, I think, before she gave it to me, making this phone 9 years old! I'm overdue an upgrade, and plus the phone seems to be on its way out too... Issue is I'm too sentimental to get rid of it!

On the topic of The Sims 2, it's less of a "pet peeve" and more of something that makes me laugh. When sims roll the want to "Learn How to Make TV Dinner." Yes, the fine art of placing a frozen meal in the oven and waiting for it to cook. I love that want a lot. An actual pet peeve is when my sims get lectured and fined if Bigfoot scares off the burglar, like it's not my sim's fault the car alarm went off and Bigfoot took the situation into his own hands before the police got there

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6066 Old 8th Oct 2021 at 12:10 AM
I love Bigfoot! Never had a burglar in the same house though. My peeve of the day is- why do all of the teenagers turn up to pick up my sims in a limo, when they are sneaking out? They don't own a limo, their parents don't own a limo- did they hire one especially so they could go out at 1am?

@TadOlson I know what subliminal means, but I'm not sure what subliminal has to do with eyesight?
Top Secret Researcher
#6067 Old 8th Oct 2021 at 1:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CrystalFlame360
On the topic of The Sims 2, it's less of a "pet peeve" and more of something that makes me laugh. When sims roll the want to "Learn How to Make TV Dinner." Yes, the fine art of placing a frozen meal in the oven and waiting for it to cook. I love that want a lot.
Well they do often burn it, so apparently it's not so obvious how to prepare it right. Maybe the instructions on the box are lacking or wrong!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6068 Old 8th Oct 2021 at 1:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lili975
Maybe the instructions on the box are lacking or wrong!

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
Mad Poster
#6069 Old 8th Oct 2021 at 5:13 PM
My peeve of the day is- why do all of the teenagers turn up to pick up my sims in a limo, when they are sneaking out? They don't own a limo, their parents don't own a limo- did they hire one especially so they could go out at 1am?
When I discussed it with Freefalldreams a few years ago, she was convinced they were joyriding.

I've only done the sneak out/go out thing once, and I found it so unsatisfactory that I've never done it since. I did it with my original and favourite teens Andrew and Julian. Since it was Andrew it was of course "Go Out", not "Sneak Out", as Andrew tells his mum EVERYTHING. (He might of course forget to tell her he was going out, but that's not the same as "sneaking out" -- there's no intention to deceive.) I had no idea what to expect. Andrew asked his mum for permission to go out, got it (of course -- would Gloria refuse permission to her wonderful son?), and phoned Julian. Julian said he'd come round during the night. Andrew waited expectantly. Eventually -- I think it was around 1 or 2 a.m., Julian came round, not on foot as usual, but driving a little sports car. Now the Moltke's didn't have a car. in fact none of my Sims has ever had a car -- because I hate the smelly things! So it's a bit of a mystery where Julian got the car from. Freefalldreams suggested joyriding, and I think she's probably right, although it seems totally out of character for Julian, who comes across to me as eccentric (he doesn't like textiles next to his skin), but very considerate and helpful. Both his parents are police officers, and they'd be very concerned if they thought he was stealing cars.

Well, I didn't enjoy it because I didn't get to join them on the trip and see what they were up to. Andrew didn't enjoy it either -- he spent all his time worrying about getting "busted". Well, if I don't enjoy it, and my Sims don't enjoy it, I don't see any point in doing it at all!

What I do now about "Go Out" wants (and maybe occasionally "Sneak Out" wants too) is I send my Sim on an unscored outing with the Sim concerned, and manually fulfil the Go Out/Sneak Out want. That way both my Sims and I get something that we actually enjoy.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6070 Old 8th Oct 2021 at 6:06 PM
@AndrewGloria My sim had a want to sneak out, so I fulfilled it (but he does have a good relationship with his parents and they would have given him permission to go out, I'm sure ). The limo was almost as wide as the building, and he sneaked out wearing his pyjamas! Gideon, who is the friend driving the limo, lives on a lot that probably isn't even big enough to fit a limo on- and there are no limo hire shops in the town and nowhere to steal one from so... who knows?

By the way, did you have a good birthday? Was I the first person to wish you a happy birthday here? I'm in the same time zone as you of course, so I set an alarm on my phone to remind me!
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#6071 Old 8th Oct 2021 at 6:39 PM
My peeve of the day is- why do all of the teenagers turn up to pick up my sims in a limo, when they are sneaking out? They don't own a limo, their parents don't own a limo- did they hire one especially so they could go out at 1am?

They have to impress their friends somehow and what better way than to steal a limo for the night! Admittedly, it is beyond extra, though.
Quote: Originally posted by Lili975
Maybe the instructions on the box are lacking or wrong!

I'd imagine the instructions would be as follows:

"Dinner has never been so easy to make! No preparation is necessary! Just throw into the oven and hope. Make sure you have the fire department on standby. We take no responsibility for scorched kitchens."

That would explain it. I guess preparing a microwave meal is more difficult in the sim world than I give it credit for.

Mad Poster
#6072 Old 8th Oct 2021 at 11:53 PM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 9th Oct 2021 at 2:45 AM.
@AndrewGloria My sim had a want to sneak out, so I fulfilled it (but he does have a good relationship with his parents and they would have given him permission to go out, I'm sure ). The limo was almost as wide as the building, and he sneaked out wearing his pyjamas! Gideon, who is the friend driving the limo, lives on a lot that probably isn't even big enough to fit a limo on- and there are no limo hire shops in the town and nowhere to steal one from so... who knows?
The boy looks cute sneaking out in his pyjamas (though he might not take that as a compliment the way Andrew would.) What's his name. The sports car was probably better for Julian's purposes than the limo. There's not a lot of opportunity for intimacy in a stretched limo -- well not intimacy between the driver and the backseat passenger anyway!

By the way, did you have a good birthday? Was I the first person to wish you a happy birthday here? I'm in the same time zone as you of course, so I set an alarm on my phone to remind me!
Yours were the first birthday greetings to reach me on the day. May I ask who that fine lady and gentleman are toasting my health? And where is that restaurant. I'd like to book a table for two there for my 80th birthday -- for me and Chester Gieke. You may recall Andrew paired me up with Chester in his role as self-appointed matchmaker. Maybe a decade will be long enough to turn that relationship into a reality.

[EDIT] I accidentally posted this too soon, before I'd finished, so I'll continue writing it. Please come back in an hour or so and read the rest.

I wanted to go out to our favourite ice cream restaurant for a birthday treat, but my mother didn't want to go out again. But at least that meant I had plenty of time to spend with my Sims. As promised I went to Chorus Court to hang out with Andrew, Julian, Gloria and Garry. I've moved most of what I was going to post here to the What's Happenning in Your 'Hood thread since that's where it really belongs, but I must mention what happened almost at the end of the play-session:
Andrew decided that he wanted to phone his friend Jihoon LeTourneau, who shares a little downtown house with Jamie Siddons, and is in a committed relationship with Ralph Enriquez. When he ended that call, Andrew dropped an absolute bombshell. He told me that he wants to flirt with Jihoon LeTourneau! Of course I said, "Andrew, that's a terrible idea!" I think I'm going to have to have quite a conversation with him.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
#6073 Old 9th Oct 2021 at 8:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
The boy looks cute sneaking out in his pyjamas (though he might not take that as a compliment the way Andrew would.) What's his name. The sports car was probably better for Julian's purposes than the limo. There's not a lot of opportunity for intimacy in a stretched limo -- well not intimacy between the driver and the backseat passenger anyway!

Yours were the first birthday greetings to reach me on the day. May I ask who that fine lady and gentleman are toasting my health? And where is that restaurant. I'd like to book a table for two there for my 80th birthday -- for me and Chester Gieke. You may recall Andrew paired me up with Chester in his role as self-appointed matchmaker. Maybe a decade will be long enough to turn that relationship into a reality.

[EDIT] I accidentally posted this too soon, before I'd finished, so I'll continue writing it. Please come back in an hour or so and read the rest.

I wanted to go out to our favourite ice cream restaurant for a birthday treat, but my mother didn't want to go out again. But at least that meant I had plenty of time to spend with my Sims. As promised I went to Chorus Court to hang out with Andrew, Julian, Gloria and Garry. I've moved most of what I was going to post here to the What's Happenning in Your 'Hood thread since that's where it really belongs, but I must mention what happened almost at the end of the play-session:
Andrew decided that he wanted to phone his friend Jihoon LeTourneau, who shares a little downtown house with Jamie Siddons, and is in a committed relationship with Ralph Enriquez. When he ended that call, Andrew dropped an absolute bombshell. He told me that he wants to flirt with Jihoon LeTourneau! Of course I said, "Andrew, that's a terrible idea!" I think I'm going to have to have quite a conversation with him.

Happy Birthday! (late)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6074 Old 9th Oct 2021 at 11:08 AM
@Andrew Gloria

My in-game peeve of the day- When you are in Neighbourhood view, why do you have to click the Lot bin button before you can enter a community lot to build? If click on an occupied lot at any time, it takes me straight there. But if I click on a community lot I need to first click the Lot button before it will let me go there!
Mad Poster
#6075 Old 9th Oct 2021 at 10:47 PM
My in-game peeve of the day- When you are in Neighbourhood view, why do you have to click the Lot bin button before you can enter a community lot to build? If click on an occupied lot at any time, it takes me straight there. But if I click on a community lot I need to first click the Lot button before it will let me go there!
Clicking on the Family Bin button also allows you to go to a community lot to edit and build there. I think I'll try to answer the other matters in a PM. - AG

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Page 243 of 274