Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jan 2023 at 10:37 PM
Default The Sims 2 series finally works on EA App
Yesterday I noticed that The Sims 2 got an updated logo in EA App and, to top it off, it looks like EA took Greatcheesecakepersona's custom Ultimate Collection logo (do y'all think they were compensated?).

Following this change, I looked for reports of other players' experiences with The Sims 2 in EA App, and it seems like the game is finally 100% compatible with the new launcher. I also heard from a user who used to get Store Edition instead of Ultimate Collection that they were finally able to install the game properly. It seems like TS2 has finally joined TS3 and TS4 in their new home.

The Sims Stories series has also been transferred for existing owners, and they can use EA App to get a download link for the games which will then download through a browser.

Since this is still EA we're talking about, if anyone has been downloading (or attempting to download) the game using EA App as of yesterday, how has your experience been?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 1st Mar 2023 at 7:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mate54
Yesterday I noticed that The Sims 2 got an updated logo in EA App and, to top it off, it looks like EA took Greatcheesecakepersona's custom Ultimate Collection logo (do y'all think they were compensated?).

Following this change, I looked for reports of other players' experiences with The Sims 2 in EA App, and it seems like the game is finally 100% compatible with the new launcher. I also heard from a user who used to get Store Edition instead of Ultimate Collection that they were finally able to install the game properly. It seems like TS2 has finally joined TS3 and TS4 in their new home.

The Sims Stories series has also been transferred for existing owners, and they can use EA App to get a download link for the games which will then download through a browser.

Since this is still EA we're talking about, if anyone has been downloading (or attempting to download) the game using EA App as of yesterday, how has your experience been?

Cannot play because of 'an error on their end'. Tried repair but no.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 1st Mar 2023 at 3:31 PM
This sounds promising. I still haven't switched to the EA app and haven't even logged onto Origin in over a month (meaning no playing Sims!) because I heard they are now forcing people to switch to the EA app and Sims 2 still wasn't working.

Hopefully they got it figured out now.

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#4 Old 1st Mar 2023 at 4:01 PM
You can load Sims 2 without Origin. I haven't been in Origin in ages.
Alchemist
#5 Old 1st Mar 2023 at 4:06 PM
I switched to the app last night, and the game was listed and it launched without any problems. I'm still going to continue to run the game through RPC, though.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 1st Mar 2023 at 6:10 PM
There were some issues with the games you had not transferring properly, and also the EA app using the wrong version of the UC, the one with the Store version (this one can cause some issues, especially if you want to be able to use a no-CD or the RPC or play with an older savegame, or similar) - instead of the one without that used to be the one up at Origin.

Not sure if they've fixed all of it, though.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 1st Mar 2023 at 9:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity

I tried a long time ago and was never able to get it to work.

My Simblr
He/They
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 2nd Mar 2023 at 12:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
There were some issues with the games you had not transferring properly, and also the EA app using the wrong version of the UC, the one with the Store version (this one can cause some issues, especially if you want to be able to use a no-CD or the RPC or play with an older savegame, or similar) - instead of the one without that used to be the one up at Origin.

Not sure if they've fixed all of it, though.

That's what this post was about. They fixed this back in January and you won't get Store Edition by mistake anymore.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 2nd Mar 2023 at 8:03 AM
- and it works with the EA app too.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 2nd Mar 2023 at 8:53 AM
I don't even know what the EA App is lol.
Alchemist
#11 Old 2nd Mar 2023 at 12:15 PM
It's what replaced Origin.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 2nd Mar 2023 at 5:42 PM
How does one play Sims 2 UC without Origin (or I guess the EA app now, i'm still afraid to try and log onto Origin only to be forced to download the EA app but right now I can't play Sims if I don't and it's been over a month of me avoiding it..)? I know I tried a long time ago but I couldn't get it to work. It always forced Origin to open.

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#13 Old 2nd Mar 2023 at 6:23 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 2nd Mar 2023 at 6:38 PM.
You can use a no-CD version of the Sims2EP9.EXE file. There's one in the first underlined link here (clickable line above the SFS/Dropbox links. It doesn't require the files in the SFS/dropbox links or the RPC mod to work).

Use the 4GB patch on the file, then replace it with the Sims2EP9.EXE in this folder
C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin
(path may be a bit different if you use the App version or have the game installed somewhere else thant he C drive, but the bolded part should be the same).

Also make sure the shortcut you use to start up your game points to the Sims2EP9.EXE file, and not anything else (right-click the shortcut, and check the "target" line under the "shortcut" tab).

---

Origin can be a drain on resources, and I always feel it's a bit risky to choose updates and such. I don't let it auto-update anything. Lately I've been avoiding playing TS4 because I've done some modifications in the TS2 files, and I don't know what switching to the App will do to all of that (but I also want to at least try out the TS4 infant update whenever that one releases, so... dilemma?). Preferably it leaves TS2 alone... Anyone having experience with what switching the app does if you use a no-CD? Does it try to reinstall the game? Or does it leave the game alone? Does it mess with savefiles or install files in other games?
Field Researcher
#14 Old 3rd Mar 2023 at 12:25 AM
They still don't actually sell it digitally, do they? I'm still using the CD/DVD version of The Sims 2, with individual expansion packs up to Apartment Life.
Scholar
#15 Old 3rd Mar 2023 at 12:29 AM
From my experience with the app it points to the exe file without checking which version it is, this includes opening and not updating the 'cracked'.exe version.
no auto updating, yet.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 3rd Mar 2023 at 12:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Anyone having experience with what switching the app does if you use a no-CD? Does it try to reinstall the game? Or does it leave the game alone? Does it mess with savefiles or install files in other games?

With RPC, EA App should ignore it as RPC uses Sims2RPC.exe and Sims2EP9RPC.exe to launch the game, so the original one should remain untouched.
I also tested a standard no CD, Sims2EP9.exe, from Leefish, and EA App didn't give me any trouble; I was even able to launch the game using the app. Of course, doing that is kinda pointless as the no CD exe allows you to bypass EA App completely. Of course, repairing the game will probably restore the original exe so keep that in mind if you need to repair.

Quote: Originally posted by Neverwinter_Knight77
They still don't actually sell it digitally, do they? I'm still using the CD/DVD version of The Sims 2, with individual expansion packs up to Apartment Life.

No, The Sims 2 for PC is not sold anymore. However, if you have disk packs and all patches installed, you're not missing out on anything aside from Mansion & Garden stuff and any other packs if you don't have them.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 3rd Mar 2023 at 8:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
It's what replaced Origin.

They replaced Origin lol? Shows how many new EA games I've bought.

Also, thanks to the person who disagreed with me not knowing what the EA App is. I'm glad that you know what I know better than I know what I know.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 3rd Mar 2023 at 12:51 PM
They replaced Origin lol? Shows how many new EA games I've bought.

Also, thanks to the person who disagreed with me not knowing what the EA App is. I'm glad that you know what I know better than I know what I know.

There is always a clown around. I only know what it is because Dragon Age Inquisition that I bought off Steam has to use it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~