Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
dodgy builder
#26 Old 13th Nov 2014 at 6:02 PM
Can't you just do your own thing, and just keep the inspiration sort of? Do they really have 2 places to dine in opposite corners?

I'm making a modern white mansion on a slope again. Doesn't that lamp look like it's much closer to the camera? It's hanging above the middle of the table.
Screenshots
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#27 Old 16th Nov 2014 at 4:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tsyokawe
@Volvenom : by the way, I think your patio is amazing. I like the way you incorporated the lights into the planter bed and the cfe of the sloped window. Great work.

I don't usually take request, unless it's something I like working on. I did a couple of times, but the last time the requester didn't like it I guess. I thought it was splended, but there you are

I have finished that house and now I'm supposed to go to TS4 and do the same house there. Bah ... I'm so not motivated to deal with downloads I have to use as is and struggling with endless swappes on wallcolors

Thanks Oh ... the sloped window is an object, I hardly ever use cfe these days, I prefer to be able to paint my ceilings.
Scholar
#28 Old 16th Nov 2014 at 5:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom

... the sloped window is an object, I hardly ever use cfe these days, I prefer to be able to paint my ceilings.

As to sloped ceilings - I learned the hard way that if I want my slope painted, I have to do it before it becomes a slope.

BUT, there is a trick you can use in most cases. It can be tedious to do...But if you can keep a temporary piece of the ceiling floor that is NOT sloped, but is CONNECTED to (i.e. touching) the sloped part...
you can usually change the ceiling paint/texture by selecting the un-sloped section of the ceiling, and changing IT.

First make sure that you CASt all those parts that you need to have ceiling paint...and cast them to be identical with the un-sloped, level piece of ceiling.

If you can change that one section later, any other sections that actually touch it (and also match its paint and texture) will change with it.

This has worked for me 5 out of the 6 times I tried it...under bridges, under arches, and in an attic with a sloped ceiling that was over the spiral stairs.

I just went in after I was certain I liked that particular ceiling, and just deleted the temporary piece of flooring that touched it. Magic. :D
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 7:57 AM
I've made my first lot for The Sims 4 - a Victorian Family home.
Screenshots
dodgy builder
#30 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 9:10 AM
As to sloped ceilings - I learned the hard way that if I want my slope painted, I have to do it before it becomes a slope.

BUT, there is a trick you can use in most cases. It can be tedious to do...But if you can keep a temporary piece of the ceiling floor that is NOT sloped, but is CONNECTED to (i.e. touching) the sloped part...
you can usually change the ceiling paint/texture by selecting the un-sloped section of the ceiling, and changing IT.

First make sure that you CASt all those parts that you need to have ceiling paint...and cast them to be identical with the un-sloped, level piece of ceiling.

If you can change that one section later, any other sections that actually touch it (and also match its paint and texture) will change with it.

This has worked for me 5 out of the 6 times I tried it...under bridges, under arches, and in an attic with a sloped ceiling that was over the spiral stairs.

I just went in after I was certain I liked that particular ceiling, and just deleted the temporary piece of flooring that touched it. Magic. :D

Have you then tried playing the house without floating tiles turning up everywhere? Do you play from below from the sims view point? It's several different types of bugs as well. When it comes to this sloped thing I'm not sure I would be able to make it looking like glass either. It would have to be espalier or some metal lookalike.

I was in a challenge or what it's called on this site once about cfe and even the judges had to learn how to use it before they could judge. I'm never going to join a comp on this site again.
Scholar
#31 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 2:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Have you then tried playing the house without floating tiles turning up everywhere? Do you play from below from the sims view point? It's several different types of bugs as well. When it comes to this sloped thing I'm not sure I would be able to make it looking like glass either. It would have to be espalier or some metal lookalike.

I was in a challenge or what it's called on this site once about cfe and even the judges had to learn how to use it before they could judge. I'm never going to join a comp on this site again.

I try to remember to "walk" around the building, in build mode, looking up. Then if there are any stray,
slanting ceiling pieces I use my sledgehammer to delete any floor pieces.

There are some that required re-adding a floor above them, but they've always been the level unsloped pieces...
so I added a floor, and then deleted it...and the ceiling below it disappeared.

I see what you mean about not having glass, though. I never thought of that...it would look different. Damn.

I've been in a couple of contests, and both times was one of the lowest scoring contestants in each...but it was still a lot of fun.
I'm still debating on the calendar contest...but they require a "single sim" in the picture. My Sims don't take such good photos in-game.
They seem to have dark splotches on their faces...shadows, or sumthin'
I'll need to experiment with invisible lights and see if they work in the daylight (with a setting of 5? I'm hoping?)
dodgy builder
#32 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 9:16 AM
I try to remember to "walk" around the building, in build mode, looking up. Then if there are any stray,
slanting ceiling pieces I use my sledgehammer to delete any floor pieces.

There are some that required re-adding a floor above them, but they've always been the level unsloped pieces...
so I added a floor, and then deleted it...and the ceiling below it disappeared.

They keep coming back in my experience, also for the downloader, but I guess it comes down to what you make and if it can work with white ceilings.

I've been in a couple of contests, and both times was one of the lowest scoring contestants in each...but it was still a lot of fun.
I'm still debating on the calendar contest...but they require a "single sim" in the picture. My Sims don't take such good photos in-game.
They seem to have dark splotches on their faces...shadows, or sumthin'
I'll need to experiment with invisible lights and see if they work in the daylight (with a setting of 5? I'm hoping?)

I had some suggestions from k4 and something, very good creator of poses if you know. I needed to have invisible lights above the sim, my black spot vanished then. I just don't think it can be a fair contest if the people giving out the points know less about the issue than the contestants with the lowest knowledge. I guess I didn't really fit in there either, following up on TeeHeeHee and Simsample's attempts to recreate that Korean's work some years ago doesn't make me into a contestant, more like a judge probably.

That could be something to try for you tsyokawe. I made a video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Z...4C2EE9FAD11D049

It's a very nice way to build ecohouses if you haven't tried it already. It's ages since I did it, but it still seems to work for some people in this thread: http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...9&goto=lastpost
Mad Poster
#33 Old 24th Jan 2015 at 6:06 AM
The tackiest Wedding Chapel imaginable. I've missed every holiday-appropriate opportunity for creating a lot so far (though I certainly hope to eventually have at least Halloween and Christmas-themed lots), but Valentines Day seems like an appropriate time to make a lot for your Romance Sims to have a terrible, cheesy wedding in, before breaking things off for a new flame halfway through the honeymoon.
Basically, I'm making a lot that if you just saw the foundation, the only conclusion you could draw would be a fast-food restaurant (dingy parking lot, big neon signs, dumpster with empty cardboard boxes in the back, etc...) and then a pretty normal shaped chapel (on the outside) that's bedecked in lots of neon. Inside, as much neon and fluorescent coloring as possible, giant stuffed bears to bear (hehe) witness, standard-issue wedding cake and champagne for a quick toast, and out front, a photo booth- saving your Sims the expense of hiring a wedding photographer as well as providing an on-site place to... ahem... consummate the marriage.
Hopefully I'll finish this around Valentines Day so your Sims can do everything they can to destroy the image of a wedding as a picture-perfect white-layer-cake affair, and find an excuse to bust out the powder blue tuxedos and Elvis wigs again!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Scholar
#34 Old 24th Jan 2015 at 1:16 PM
screenshots! screenshots! we want screenshots!
Mad Poster
#35 Old 24th Jan 2015 at 9:12 PM
OK, here you go! It's remarkably difficult to deliberately try to make something terrible, without it just looking like I don't know what I'm doing in the game!

Screenshots

Mad Poster
#36 Old 6th Feb 2015 at 3:27 AM
Other projects that I'm still fairly consistently working on are the Schinasi Mansion in NYC (June's House from the TV show White Collar, for those of you who watch it) (also, probably the next upload I'll have finished after my wedding chapel), a sleek black modern skyscraper, large enough (finally) to have a helipad on the roof, an early 20th Century tenement-style skyscraper, an Elvish castle build on the mountains above a pristine lake, a bed-and-breakfast in a faux-castle that was two doors down from my grandparents' house in Wichita, KS, a Saturn V rocket (which is giving my CFE fits right now at the top of the rocket), Hatley Castle in British Columbia, Wayne Manor/Wollaton Hall (hopefully @Fergus' Mind has photos of the interior at some point?), a residential cemetery for a more traditional Vampire, another mostly-abandoned warehouse that will have an illegal stolen art exchange on the upper levels, and a new Dark Tower for the Ivanoviches of Darkwood Hollow (not sure if that's gonna be an upload, or just one for my own gameplay)...

Yeah... I'm pretty bad at staying focused on one project...

Mad Poster
#37 Old 22nd Apr 2015 at 3:00 AM
A variety of Mars colony bases and a Earth Mission-Control building, both just to upload, and also for a challenge I'm working on writing for other members to create an off-Earth subhood.
Screenshots

Scholar
#38 Old 8th May 2015 at 5:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
A variety of Mars colony bases and a Earth Mission-Control building, both just to upload, and also for a challenge I'm working on writing for other members to create an off-Earth subhood.

I downloaded this as soon as it got uploaded. Thank you very much. This fits in very well amongst my working class area around the city. I might just convert it to be a business lot and add a tonne of telescopes and microscopes, so it becomes a Sims 2 Nasa Station.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Banned
#39 Old 10th May 2015 at 11:29 AM
I have this thing where I build city halls the same way. I'm building one, albeit smaller than the one that was lost, right now. Kind of looks like NYC City Hall in a way.
Scholar
#40 Old 12th May 2015 at 5:54 PM
I'm working on an old, defunct signal tower for my next Dinky Dwelling.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#41 Old 6th Jun 2015 at 3:09 AM
Because I am completely incapable of focusing on one Sims project at a time, my current slate of ongoing projects include a Far Eastern monastery, a NASA training facility, my Wayne Manor lot (still gradually filling that in... that's been on the list for probably the longest time), the S.H.I.E.L.D. Triskelion from Captain America: The Winter Soldier (which will be a two-lot upload), a Romanesque colonnade and bath, a few more Martian colony structures (I'm still trying to get the challenge I'm working on to come together too), a grand palace theatre for Jambalaya Quarter, and of course my usual blend of various downtown skyscraper projects.

No, I am never going to finish everything on my "to-build" list- why would you ask such a ridiculous question?

Theorist
#42 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 3:35 AM
Projects I've had on the front or back burner. All these are all for TS2:

1) Concrete House #04 - Part of my series of concrete houses. A modern mansion, loaded. It's essentially done, including testing, but there's just something off about it. I might make some minor changes, especially since I now have a new CC Discrete Concrete fence set. Or maybe I'll keep it NoCC, I dunno. 4 bedrooms, swimming pool, jacuzzi, steam room, game room, music room, etc. Like I said, loaded.

2) White Stucco #05 - Part of my series of white stucco houses. Another "round" house, like my White Stucco #03, but smaller. Done, except for a few minor touchups and testing. 2 bedroom, with swimming pool, fruit trees and greenhouse.

3) El Dorado Court - A new and much improved interior layout for this uploaded apartment Lot, one of my more popular ones. Done, except for testing, which I don't expect to reveal any problems.

4) El Dorado Place - Identical to El Dorado Court, above, in its interior layout and exterior looks, but with an added story and placed on a larger Lot that includes a driveway. It's not the sort of driveway to goes into the Lot, but skirts by on the front of it. Done, except for testing.

5) El Dorado Towers - Two circular shaped, modern apartment towers (similar to my uploaded El Dorado Court, above), about 7-8 stories high, with a single, large apartment on each floor. Will include a parking garage, swimming pool and other common area amenities. The tower shells and apartment layouts are done, but not anything else. This won't see the light of day for months yet.

6) El Dorado Terrace - Future anticipated apartment building, which will be the most luxurious of the El Dorado series.

7) Oak Pass Guesthouse - A TS2 version of a real house in California. 2 bedroom with pool. Done, except for minor finishing touches and testing.

8) Cobblestone Tower - Very loosely based on a large upscale apartment house in Brooklyn, NY. 23 apartment units of various sizes and layouts, on 6 floors. Done, except for about half the furnishings and testing. This Lot used up all but about 100 of the available wall sections. It's only on a 3x3 lot, but it's monstrously huge. Don't know when I'll get back to this.

9) MIT House, aka Monsanto House - My TS2 version of a concept house that sat at Disneyland during the 1960s. Early stages of construction, although a previous version was completely done when I mistakenly deleted it. I wasn't entirely happy with that version anyway.

10) Concrete Apartments #03 - Modern/futuristic apartment building, with about 20 very small apartments on 5 floors. Players would need certain mods to play this, because the Sims are expected to eat in the common areas. The tiny apartments are basically just for sleeping and bathing, with everything else in the common areas. Includes many common area luxuries, like swimming pool, spa, doggie baths, game room, lounge, hobby room, etc. Also includes a parking garage. Done, except for testing and minor touchups.

11) Concrete Apartments #04 - Same as above, but with fewer, normal-sized, fully functional apartments. Not started yet, but will use the one above as a starting point.

12) About another half-dozen previously uploaded Lots, which I plan on re-uploading. They are obviously done, but will undergo minor changes and improvements and probably some required re-testing.

I'm probably forgetting a couple.
Mad Poster
#43 Old 27th Jul 2015 at 8:52 PM Last edited by gazania : 30th Jul 2015 at 6:07 PM.
I'm finally finishing a house that's based on a so-called "Prairie"-styled architectural plan. Based on. I did not nail it.

While working on said building, I found out the joy and frustration of CFE. Quite a few times. I've used it before, of course, but not this often, and not with different heights and sizes of roofs. In doing so, I found out that CFE on multiple overhang roofs can be a nightmare, and leave some awkward gaps. I've been wracking my brain for several hours trying to figure out how to cover them (Of course, they're not of uniform size and location .... that would be easy, even for an advanced-beginner like me.. Nope. Different sizes, different locations.) I finally settled on using a Jope backsplash recolor, move_object and snap_objects to make a sort of "frieze" between the two gaps in front. (Not really.) None of the art I had could cover them well. Not sure if I like the particular recolor I used on the "frieze", but I must have tried at least a dozen recolors, and this one was the only one I could more-or-less successfully match up. I might change it, though. I covered the back gaps the best I could, using a plant to at least minimize the effect in one area. (Cheap, tacky trick, I know, but I must have tried at least three-dozen objects. Not an exaggeration here!)

My daughter figured out how to recolor. Perhaps I should enlist her services in altering the hue on this makeshift frieze.

I had to separate a couple of the buildings, rather than connect them as shown in the architectural plans, because I could NOT get CFE to work on them while connected. At all.

I saw someone use a CFE wall between two stories successfully once. I have no idea how he or she did that. I tried and bombed. I got the stompy Sim (routing error). So I had to re-work a third of my building to at least get Don to go to the upstairs break room, including getting rid of that CFE between the stories. I reluctantly put it on top. At least Don L can go get his chips from the vending machine.

So far, I've spent more than 30 hours on this lot, and may spend a few more. This is straight gameplay hours, but including bathroom breaks. (I mean, one does need to use the loo SOMETIMES!) Lots and lots of trial-and-error and "oopses" ... it's not THAT elaborate a lot! It looks like it would be simple, actually. (Hah!) I'm still learning new methods.

Obsessive? Nah. Why would one say that? Would I tackle another project I find challenging?

You bet.

I pictured this as some sort of artist colony/showcase. I didn't put that much effort on the landscaping. I think I pooped out after just trying to get those roofs in order!

My previous lot was based on plans for a fire tower. in my backstory, the buyer converted it into a small nightclub. Right now, it's on my Uni campus. It has a storage shed in the back (the real plans show it a little closer, but oh, well), where a Sim couple can sneak in for a little alone time.

Here's a really bad picture of the first building. For some reason, of the picture editors I use, only MS Paint lets me do any editing at all to this picture, and I admit it's pretty shabby editing!. But it may give you an idea of what it looks like.

For those using photobucket ... is its refusal to let you edit new? You used to be able to easily do it.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#44 Old 21st Sep 2015 at 5:00 AM
While there are enough problems with this lot that I'll have to scrap it and start over, I'm very happy with the successful proof-of-concept for a space station! (Apparently orbital altitude above SimWorld is only about 250 feet... )
Screenshots

Theorist
#45 Old 23rd Sep 2015 at 7:56 AM
Interesting looking house, gazania.
Scholar
#46 Old 23rd Sep 2015 at 6:36 PM Last edited by tsyokawe : 23rd Sep 2015 at 6:57 PM. Reason: another attempt at coherence?
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
<snip>

While working on said building, I found out the joy and frustration of CFE. <snip>

I saw someone use a CFE wall between two stories successfully once. I have no idea how he or she did that. I tried and bombed. I got the stompy Sim (routing error). So I had to re-work a third of my building to at least get Don to go to the upstairs break room, including getting rid of that CFE between the stories. I reluctantly put it on top. At least Don L can go get his chips from the vending machine.<snip>

So far, I've spent more than 30 hours on this lot, and may spend a few more. This is straight gameplay hours, but including bathroom breaks. (I mean, one does need to use the loo SOMETIMES!) Lots and lots of trial-and-error and "oopses" ... it's not THAT elaborate a lot! It looks like it would be simple, actually. (Hah!) I'm still learning new methods.<snip>

@gazania

If you could take some screenshots of the spots that are giving you grief, maybe there's a solution that one of us other builders has stumbled onto. :lovestruc
Scholar
#47 Old 16th Oct 2015 at 4:42 PM
Most of my life, I've had a fantasy of maintaining a yard with many shrubs and flowers.

I can still spend hours looking at photos of gardens, both the itty bitty ones, and the overly grand.

This house is only large enough for one old, retired couple. I want to live here.
Mad Poster
#48 Old 16th Oct 2015 at 5:41 PM
Most of my life, I've had a fantasy of maintaining a yard with many shrubs and flowers.

I can still spend hours looking at photos of gardens, both the itty bitty ones, and the overly grand.

This house is only large enough for one old, retired couple. I want to live here.

I love small sim houses :lovestruc
Top Secret Researcher
#49 Old 17th Oct 2015 at 7:23 AM

Lovely! I want to live there and putter in the garden.

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Theorist
#50 Old 17th Oct 2015 at 7:41 AM

Why don't you get yourself TS2 Ultimate Collection for free from Origin? That way I could give you my built houses and let you do the landscaping, as I don't really like doing it and am not particularly good at it.
Question: When you make a Lot full of shrubs and flowers such as this for TS3, do you need a mod to keep the Sims from having to trim them, like in TS2? Or did they get rid of shrub trimming altogether for TS3?

Page 2 of 4