Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Sim Game Selector 3.0 Support for "Into the Future" and "Movie Stuff"

by ralphaelninja Posted 29th Mar 2013 at 4:52 PM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 2:43 PM by Nysha

149 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 90 Feedback Posts, 58 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 6
Test Subject
#26 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 3:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ralphaelninja
ok... lets try this last version (maybe last) I've reduced the 10MB buffer that was needlessly used on the other version to a 1mb buffer which might be the reason for the weirdness...

The Last Sim Selector Program in 32 bit

I'm baffled. Rebooted, tried again, the UI is still not coming up on the x86 machine.
Maybe there is just something weird/unique with this particular box.

Has anyone else with Win8 x32 given it a run and maybe NOT had this problem?
Maybe it's just me.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#27 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 4:26 AM Last edited by ralphaelninja : 30th Mar 2013 at 9:44 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by MaxQBaker
I'm baffled. Rebooted, tried again, the UI is still not coming up on the x86 machine.
Maybe there is just something weird/unique with this particular box.

Has anyone else with Win8 x32 given it a run and maybe NOT had this problem?
Maybe it's just me.

that is too bad... how far do you get? is the UI completely blank? or hunged? do you get any interface? blank window? clickable or unclickable icons?

thanks...

edit: Alright, after a full day of testing and replacing huge chunk of code, I've discovered something horrible and had to abort 32bit testing on a x64 system. I've changed all dll calls to external file services back to the default program coding of embedding resources; this should fix any potential OS problems. However I'm back to the standard compile which may or may not work with x86; however I dare not compile with x86 compilation since my system started showing symtons of strangness; backing up my files now just in case.

Give the following program a try and tell me if it works for you.

Thanks

Latest Sim Game Select
Test Subject
#28 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 1:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ralphaelninja
that is too bad... how far do you get? is the UI completely blank? or hunged? do you get any interface? blank window? clickable or unclickable icons?

thanks...

edit: Alright, after a full day of testing and replacing huge chunk of code, I've discovered something horrible and had to abort 32bit testing on a x64 system. I've changed all dll calls to external file services back to the default program coding of embedding resources; this should fix any potential OS problems. However I'm back to the standard compile which may or may not work with x86; however I dare not compile with x86 compilation since my system started showing symtons of strangness; backing up my files now just in case.

Give the following program a try and tell me if it works for you.

Thanks

Latest Sim Game Select

regarding the prior version, the UI never showed up. I saw the game in task Manager using about 25% CPU, but the memory kept increasing. I let it run for about 15 - 20 minutes and the memory usage crept continuously up to about 40MB before I killed the task. I also ran ProcMon while it was doing it and the same two lines kept repeating over and over, so it looked like it was some sort of memory leak; some process that was looping indefinitely perhaps.

Just tried this one and we are back to original message about not being able to run on this PC.

That's ok; all new computers are x64 these days. Just include a caveat that it might not run on x86.

Thanks.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#29 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 3:25 PM
regarding the prior version, the UI never showed up. I saw the game in task Manager using about 25% CPU, but the memory kept increasing. I let it run for about 15 - 20 minutes and the memory usage crept continuously up to about 40MB before I killed the task. I also ran ProcMon while it was doing it and the same two lines kept repeating over and over, so it looked like it was some sort of memory leak; some process that was looping indefinitely perhaps.

Just tried this one and we are back to original message about not being able to run on this PC.

That's ok; all new computers are x64 these days. Just include a caveat that it might not run on x86.

Thanks.

Thank you MaxQBaker for your testing; it has been appreciated.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#30 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 7:41 PM

so after scratching my head, I have compiled the program in x86 mode with as many failsafes that I could implement and there were no sign of the yesterday's errors. Although I'm perplexed at yesterday errors, I'm fairly certain that this version is as safe as I can make it.

I have removed all DLL calls that may have been win 7 x64 dependant except for the cursor hand and pointer calls and if needed they can also be removed. There is only one restart program call at the begining that prompts you for administrator rights and it restarts the program itself using a shell. So that is it... it should be as Win 8 pro x86 compatible as it can be.... and if this fails.....

The very last x86 compatible Sim Game Selector program
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#31 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 9:33 PM
I installed this being very happy there was a thing like this.. And now I find out it isn't updated for University Life and I can't Play University Life now, even if I reinstall it, it says it can't find the sims3launcher.exe ... I'm very upset.. And don't know what to do at this point..
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#32 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 10:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by princessbh143
I installed this being very happy there was a thing like this.. And now I find out it isn't updated for University Life and I can't Play University Life now, even if I reinstall it, it says it can't find the sims3launcher.exe ... I'm very upset.. And don't know what to do at this point..

download the one above…. and try again… you might have gotten a bad copy…

it should work… I'll walk you through if not…

and yes it supports university life...
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#33 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 10:08 PM
It says the item doesn't exist for the one above.. And what I meant by "Wasn't updated for Univeristy Life" was that it acted like it wasn't released yet, just like island paradise next to it wasn't either.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#34 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 10:15 PM
It says the item doesn't exist for the one above.. And what I meant by "Wasn't updated for Univeristy Life" was that it acted like it wasn't released yet, just like island paradise next to it wasn't either.

hopefully this should work..

download me

if the red circle with the bar comes up like paradise, then my program may have lost the link to the university life game. I know one of my versions here may have had a problem, but the original one did not.

re-install university if my program doesn't find it and run the new program that I just provided a link for. It doesn't delete the links, but … if it is unable to find the university life program then it will show a red circle. I will work with you to find out why…. don't worry…
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#35 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 10:35 PM
... I tried it.. And now it says I don't have World Adventures and the game launcher is acting like I dont have World Adventures.. Now I lost another game..?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#36 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 10:43 PM
... I tried it.. And now it says I don't have World Adventures and the game launcher is acting like I dont have World Adventures.. Now I lost another game..?

what windows are you running? and did you download the latest version which is the link above?

don't panic... I can re-write the program to allow you to restore the links.... in fact I'll do just that ....

but for now.... try re-installing university... or de-install university first then re-install?

last question... where are you installing university to? like is it the default drive or are you asking it to install to a separate hard drive.

Thanks
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#37 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 10:49 PM
Windows 7. And I tried reinstalling University Life, but it just downloads super fast, then when I click install, it does nothing. But then I got it to install a different way, and it installs only the support files and game/bin, but there's nothing in the game/bin. And when I click on the icon for University life to launch it, it says it cant find sims3launcher.exe cause it never installed that. And i'm installing university to the default area, and yes, I downloaded the link you gave me. But, only 3 of my sims 3 games are under program files 86>Electronic Arts. But all of them, including the 3, are under Program files 86> origin games. And they worked fine like that until now. Thanks for helping me though.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#38 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 11:03 PM
Windows 7. And I tried reinstalling University Life, but it just downloads super fast, then when I click install, it does nothing. But then I got it to install a different way, and it installs only the support files and game/bin, but there's nothing in the game/bin. And when I click on the icon for University life to launch it, it says it cant find sims3launcher.exe cause it never installed that. And i'm installing university to the default area, and yes, I downloaded the link you gave me. But, only 3 of my sims 3 games are under program files 86>Electronic Arts. But all of them, including the 3, are under Program files 86> origin games. And they worked fine like that until now. Thanks for helping me though.

alright... somewhere there had been a mixup. Origin games will go into the origin directory and if there are partial files, Origin may not re-install all the files, so you will need to de-install the games... at least the ones that you are having problems with...

then re-install them fresh....

now... I rewrote the program to include a complete restore.... once it backs up your game links...

so you will still need to make sure all that your normal sim launcher sees all the sims 3 programs.

so un-install, re-install and just launch the sims 3 launcher only to see if the launcher sees your sims 3 games. (don't launch my program at any time during this phase).

Once your sims 3 launcher sees everything and everything is back to normal.... then I have a new program for you.

This version has the restore all function so there should not be any lost of your links at all...
I'll upload the new program while you restore all your sim games

remember don't launch my program until you get everything restored.... using the sims 3 launcher to check....
Test Subject
#39 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 11:08 PM
I think the reason all of my games are under origin games is because I downloaded them all.. but not sure. I'll try getting university life to install, but I might have to contact support about that. (To get a new code to download)And all the files under origin games are full files.. which is the weird thing. Also, I forgot to add, that I did uninstall University Life, and it still won't let me reinstall it. Just doing the thing I told you.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#40 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 11:29 PM
I think the reason all of my games are under origin games is because I downloaded them all.. but not sure. I'll try getting university life to install, but I might have to contact support about that. (To get a new code to download)And all the files under origin games are full files.. which is the weird thing. Also, I forgot to add, that I did uninstall University Life, and it still won't let me reinstall it. Just doing the thing I told you.

you should be ok with the un-install using the "Control Panel" then select "Programs and Features" then find The Sims 3 University life and double click to un-install...

Then go to the origin orange icon and log in and check MyGames to re-install University life.

The normal sims 3 launcher will always show you what you have installed with the highlighted ep/sp icons

BTW here is my new program with the restore feature...

new sim game select with restore

if all else fails, you can give my program a try....

ps. all my EP's and SP's are from Origin too.... and yes they are also under Origin directory...
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#41 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 11:31 PM
Thanks.. lol. But thats exactly what I did. I'm talking to support right now though
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#42 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 11:40 PM
Thanks.. lol. But thats exactly what I did. I'm talking to support right now though

oh great.... now they will blame me don't say anything about ralphaelninja.... :P
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#43 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 11:42 PM
I'm not.. I'm trying to get them to give me a new code, but they're being dumb thinking its because of anti-virus and stuff.. ugh -.-
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#44 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 11:44 PM
I think I uninstalled it the wrong way though. I deleted it through the recycle bin, and then it popped up something about uninstalling it and I did. Wwwwhooops :P
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#45 Old 31st Mar 2013 at 12:05 AM
I think I uninstalled it the wrong way though. I deleted it through the recycle bin, and then it popped up something about uninstalling it and I did. Wwwwhooops :P

so here is the latest sim game selector program...

Best Sim Game Selector Program x86

sort out your eps and sps first... the latest program will not delete your links once you have everything sorted out.... I promise... but you do have to get it sorted out first... before running my program... although you could try it and use restore to see if it might help you....
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#46 Old 31st Mar 2013 at 12:49 AM
I got it all sorted out! I'll see if this one work. Thanks!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#47 Old 31st Mar 2013 at 12:51 AM
Ok, the one you just sent me works fine. Great!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#48 Old 31st Mar 2013 at 12:52 AM
Ok, the one you just sent me works fine. Great!

yay.... now I can relax.... another happy customer
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#49 Old 31st Mar 2013 at 7:25 PM
This is the latest version which should support 32bits also... Please report back whomever is running 32bit windows....

32bit Sim Game Selector

Thanks
Test Subject
#50 Old 31st Mar 2013 at 10:56 PM
Good news. The very last version you sent me via Private IM looks good so far on x86 Win8 Pro :-)
Page 2 of 6