Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

HoodReplace 2.3: Replace Neighborhood Terrain (Updated Jan 24, 2010)

by Mootilda Posted 31st Mar 2008 at 10:03 PM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 4:45 PM by Nysha

195 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 176 Feedback Posts, 18 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 8
Sockpuppet
#51 Old 29th Apr 2008 at 11:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by michelle hilbrands
I went ahead and used the file that Maxis made because I figured that I was changing it so much that it didn't matter if the roads were the same. Thank you so much for this. It was so easy and even easier doing another one. I was able to add roads to Strangetown and change it from the desert to grass( I always wanted to be able to do that). Thank you!

You've got the cheat codes terrainType temperate or nhdregiontype temperate in order to change a desert to a lush neighborhood !
Test Subject
#52 Old 30th Apr 2008 at 1:07 AM
Tested switching Life Stories to Free Time terrain and it works.
Test Subject
#53 Old 30th Apr 2008 at 11:21 AM
This program has been such a useful tool for me already. I do have a question though, perhaps even an idea for a future update- is there any way that it would be possible to have this program also change the borders around the roads?

For example, if I changed a temperate terrain to dirt, using either the terrain cheat or this program, the roads still have grass borders even if I choose to export roads over using this program. Or, if using custom terrains/roads, the roads keep the texture of the old hood (such as the dirt or cobble roads found here at mts). Would it be possible to somehow change the texture of the roads and the borders to where they match the new terrain?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#54 Old 30th Apr 2008 at 5:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by autumnwish
is there any way that it would be possible to have this program also change the borders around the roads?
I'll have to look into this.
Test Subject
#55 Old 2nd May 2008 at 2:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
I'll have to look into this.

Thank you very much.
Test Subject
#56 Old 8th May 2008 at 1:37 PM
Thank you for this wonderful tool - it really makes things much easier.

Could get one like CleanInstaller or SimPE.
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 8th May 2008 at 9:35 PM Last edited by Sweet&girly : 8th May 2008 at 9:44 PM.
okay I understand a lot of English, but this :S.... is just too much
Can anyone translate this into simple English (or even better, Dutch)?, because I really want this download
Site Helper
Original Poster
#58 Old 9th May 2008 at 3:50 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 9th May 2008 at 11:20 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Sweet&girly
Can anyone translate this into simple English (or even better, Dutch)?
Are you talking about the HoodReplace program itself, or the tutorial?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#59 Old 10th Jun 2008 at 12:43 PM
I can't believe I have only just found this! Thank you very much!

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Sockpuppet
#60 Old 5th Jul 2008 at 11:36 PM
[...]

2) Added the ability to copy from a Castaway Stories neighborhood to a second CS neighborhood or to a Sims 2 neighborhood. CS neighborhoods are larger than the standard TS2 neighborhoods: 256x256 instead of the standard 128x128.

If you are copying from CS to TS2, then you cannot copy trees or decorations (yet). You will be asked to specify the starting coordinates and HoodReplace will copy a 128x128 section of the CS neighborhood.

[...]

Thank you very very much !

This feature is the one I'm waiting for !
Alchemist
#61 Old 12th Jul 2008 at 1:24 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 12th Jul 2008 at 1:26 AM. Reason: typos
Default Map glitch
Hi Mootilda!

I've struck a possible glitch with HoodReplace. I used the program to adjust the terrain of a hood, and parts of the roads disappeared. The missing bits seem to be sloped roads beside intersections, although in one area the missing bit is between two angles rather than actual intesections. I'll attach a screenshot.

I copied just the terrain from one map to the other. The terrain should have been practically identical - it's the same map; I was trying to repair my coastline after placing nasty square beach lots.

I ran the program again, ticking both terrain and roads this time, and the map seems to be fine now.
Screenshots
Site Helper
Original Poster
#62 Old 12th Jul 2008 at 11:56 PM
It looks like the terrain was just different enough that the old roads ended up underneath the new terrain. I guess that the beach lots moved the roads when they were placed. Since HoodReplace doesn't (currently) attempt to fix the elevation of roads, this is "expected behavior". You did the right thing by replacing both the terrain and the roads.
Alchemist
#63 Old 13th Jul 2008 at 2:07 AM
Okay, just thought I'd report it in case you needed to know.

The missing bits of road were not near the beach, as it happens, but I have been moving lots around in general in the neighbourhood, so that could still be the reason.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#64 Old 13th Jul 2008 at 5:58 AM
When you place a lot in a neighborhood, it can affect tiles which are quite far from your lot. For example, I placed a lot at the top of the road going up the hill in Pleasantview and it changed all of the tiles to the bottom of the hill.

I appreciate you reporting the issue. Changing the elevation of all of the elements is top of my to-do list.
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#65 Old 3rd Aug 2008 at 6:35 AM
I have a question. I just created a new version of one of my custom hoods, I edited the terrain file in SC4 and only lowered the land. I made sure all of the roads got put back in the exact same place. If I use your program to replace my old hood with my new lower one will that work? I imagine I would have to pick up and plunk back down all my houses, but would it work? Your tools are all so spiffy, but I'm afraid I don't comprehend them all all the time. I used your Lot Adjuster for the first time the other day and it worked beautifully. Thanks!
Site Helper
Original Poster
#66 Old 3rd Aug 2008 at 12:23 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 4th Aug 2008 at 4:30 PM.
This should work; however HoodReplace will not change the elevation of your houses or any neighborhood objects. You should be able to pick them up and then place them down again to fix this. Be sure to backup first, just in case there are problems.
Test Subject
#67 Old 6th Sep 2008 at 6:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by autumnwish
For example, if I changed a temperate terrain to dirt, using either the terrain cheat or this program, the roads still have grass borders even if I choose to export roads over using this program. Or, if using custom terrains/roads, the roads keep the texture of the old hood (such as the dirt or cobble roads found here at mts). Would it be possible to somehow change the texture of the roads and the borders to where they match the new terrain?

I'm having trouble with this too, and ideas how to change the border texture?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#68 Old 8th Sep 2008 at 4:11 PM
I'm sorry, this isn't something that I've investigated yet.

Have you tried this:
Quote: Originally posted by Kabuto
You've got the cheat codes terrainType temperate or nhdregiontype temperate in order to change a desert to a lush neighborhood !

Since this isn't directly related to HoodReplace (except as a feature request), perhaps you could post your question more widely. If more people see your question, you have a better chance of getting an answer.
Field Researcher
#69 Old 9th Sep 2008 at 9:56 PM
Has this been tested with AL yet?

(Sorry I'm paranoid.)
Site Helper
Original Poster
#70 Old 10th Sep 2008 at 4:35 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 11th Sep 2008 at 2:46 AM.
No, I haven't tested it yet. The structure of the neighborhood records has been pretty consistent through all of the EPs and SP, so it's likely to just work.

I'll test it today and get back to you.

[Update:]
Updated for Apartment Life. Only update needed was to add the Apartment Life neighborhoods to the listboxes. If a neighborhood doesn't show up in the listboxes as expected, you can always use the Browse button to find the neighborhood.
Test Subject
#71 Old 5th Oct 2008 at 9:11 PM
Creative little program

I get an error message when I try and load the program

"Fatal Error!
Cannot find any Sims 2 neighborhoods in game folder: C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\EA Games"

I have Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installed and the neighborhood folders are definitely there. I run XP Pro x64 - could that be the problem?
#72 Old 5th Oct 2008 at 10:20 PM Last edited by GeneralOperationsDirector : 5th Oct 2008 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Updated Information
Crash On Launch -- Sort Of
I seem to be having a problem with your program:
Quote: Originally posted by Dialog Box On Launch
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: path
at System.IO.Directory.GetDirectories(String path, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption)
at HoodReplace.HoodReplace.NeighborhoodScreen()
at HoodReplace.HoodReplace.HoodReplace_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
HoodReplace
Assembly Version: 1.3.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.3.0.0
CodeBase: file:///F:/Program%20Files/EA%20GAMES/MTS2_Mootilda_812438_HoodReplace13/HoodReplace.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
After clicking Continue, the program starts up fine. I don`t know if it actually works yet, though.

Edit: Nope; it doesn`t work. I just get similar requesters when I click on the Browse buttons.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#73 Old 6th Oct 2008 at 6:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sharon
I get an error message when I try and load the program

"Fatal Error!
Cannot find any Sims 2 neighborhoods in game folder: C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\EA Games"

I have Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installed and the neighborhood folders are definitely there. I run XP Pro x64 - could that be the problem?
I'm not sure whether 64-bit is the problem or not. I'll have to look into this and see whether I can figure out what's going on. Just to confirm: your game files are actually stored in the directory shown in the error message, not in some other directory?

Quote: Originally posted by GeneralOperationsDirector
I seem to be having a problem with your program: [...] After clicking Continue, the program starts up fine. I don`t know if it actually works yet, though.

Edit: Nope; it doesn`t work. I just get similar requesters when I click on the Browse buttons.
Can you tell me which operating system you're running? XP or Vista? 32-bit or 64-bit?
Test Subject
#74 Old 6th Oct 2008 at 7:05 PM
This is the complete path to the neighborhood folders, but yes they are in there. C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods

I don't know if this info will be helpful, but, my sims games are stored at C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES and not the traditional C:\Program Files\EA GAMES because Sims 2 does not run under 64 bit.

Thanks for looking in to this.
#75 Old 7th Oct 2008 at 3:21 AM
Can you tell me which operating system you're running? XP or Vista? 32-bit or 64-bit?
XP Professional. Not sure 32 or 64, but I think 32. Can you tell me how to check? For what it`s worth, my Windows directory has several *32 subdirectories, but no *64 subdirectories. Does that help?
Page 3 of 8