Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Dec 2021 at 7:28 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 24th Dec 2021 at 8:37 AM. Reason: more info
Default recolour doesn't show in-game
Hello...I'm trying to do some recolours - haven't done this in many years, so using a couple of tutorials. Should be easy! I am recolouring the basegame Club Counter. But nothing shows up in-game, as though the package doesn't exist. In SimPE, the file parts are not named uniquely - I think - I know other recols have the creator's name built into them, and I can't see any way to achieve that.

(e.g. - mine has
##0x1C050000!counterloft-daac2169-9715-484b-8324-d32da7c49eb5_countertop_wood_clean
where another recolour has:
##0x1C050000!counterclub-[shastakiss-22.3.2016-1079]_countertop_redspeckle_clean

The only hints I can find:
- This post on Leefish. Looks like the correct problem, but I can't understand how to fix it. My file paths for SimPE look correct. I changed my xreg for the one linked in that post.

- I also found this, from MLC, looks like a hint towards my issue. I can quote this one since it's shorter:
"You CAN do recolors this way. In SimPE you need to open the MMAT and change the family (dString) line - the line with the long number. If it's not changed the game won't see your recolor as a new package. You do that by clicking Tools, then Object Tools and select the Hash Generator. Check the GUID button then copy/paste that number into the family (dString) Value box. Commit and save. Your recolor should show up as a new option in game. (Close the Hash Generator box when you're done too!)"

So, I think it is a problem between UC and SimPE. Can someone tell me how to fix this, please?

ETA: My SimPE doesn't have a file path for Store Edition...but I don't have Store Edition (do I?), so how can I indicate a path for it?

My new downloads are on my Pillowfort
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 24th Dec 2021 at 12:09 PM
Could you attach your recolor package? What I'm seeing between your recolor name and shasta's is you appear to have recolored the loft counter and shasta did the club. Does your recolor show up for the loft counter?

The loft counter is the Chicelettina Fjourd Counter and the club is The Club Room Counter.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Dec 2021 at 12:27 AM
I noticed that too, but I certainly am choosing the Club Room Counter in Object Workshop. Maybe SimPE points the wrong way?
I didn't look at any other counters in-game. I can check that, but while i was trying to figure this out, the new(!) computer died. Being Christmas, it could be a while before it can be looked at by the shop.
Luckily, we still have the old computer, so I will re-make and try it that way. SimPE on that computer is a slightly older version, but seems to be producing the same results. I'll finish the test and report back later... thanks!

Alchemist
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Dec 2021 at 1:01 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 26th Dec 2021 at 1:35 AM. Reason: added file
Okay, that's weird. My recolour DOES show on the Fjord counter, looking a bit weird because it's presumably mapped differently.
A Fjord recol has the same filenames. So where have the Club files gone??
I suppose someone clever will have to fix SimPE, or no one can make Club colours any more.

Attaching my latest file, in case that is helpful.

ETA...I looked at the Club Island files, and they seemed like they should be counter files - no 'island' written anywhere I could see. I thought the island was repo'd to the counter? Anyway, recolouring that file gives me recols for both the island and the counters. Is there some reason not to do this, or can I go ahead and make my set?

I would still like to know why my files don't have my identifier in them. It seems like that must happen automatically for other people.
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  AE-ClubLoftCounterCluedo-2.7z (158.8 KB, 3 downloads)

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#5 Old 26th Dec 2021 at 7:24 PM
So I found an oddity with SimPE. I thought the issue was my new CEP I was working on, but maybe not? Notice the first texture option for both subsets is the loft counter? So if you choose one each of the club one, it should work fine. Not really sure why SimPE is pulling for both counters, because as far as I know, counters are not linked at all.
Screenshots
Alchemist
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Dec 2021 at 1:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
So I found an oddity with SimPE. I thought the issue was my new CEP I was working on, but maybe not? Notice the first texture option for both subsets is the loft counter? So if you choose one each of the club one, it should work fine. Not really sure why SimPE is pulling for both counters, because as far as I know, counters are not linked at all.

Weird. After you suggested it was the wrong counter, I saw that the textures my package had pulled matched the loft counter rather than what I had (Shasta kindly gave me the textures, so I didn't have to make them and knew they should match).

I'll have another go and try to choose the Club texture options. I'd like to share my recolours, and I'm not sure the island-based files will be good in others' games.

In case you are looking into this further, the recolouring problem happened with SimPE QA 75.68.22, and with the newer SimPE on the other computer - I think that version is Chris Hatch's current latest (69?), though I can't check because broken.
Thanks for your help!

Alchemist
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Dec 2021 at 5:03 AM
I tried that suggestion...it does work, but I think is still picking up double files. There's the box labelled "Autoselect Matching Textures". With that ticked, the package gets four textures, two each for clean and dirty for both top and base of the counter. SimPE is autoselecting two loft textures as well as whatever I actually select.

Unticking the box, and manually selecting my two 'club' textures, works to get just the two images. However, the MMAT and TXMT both have doubled files for each part of the package.

Another oddity which may be somehow involved...I am getting a popup "Loading Slave Subsets" while working. This comes while it is creating the recolour package, seems fair enough, but also at other times when I am not creating a package. I can keep working around it, building textures, saving etc., but it seems like a glitch.

This thread is becoming a 'weird stuff in SimPE' thread instead of recolouring issues. I do have another recolour-centric issue though - I tried to recolour the One Complete Diner food stand, but the subset window doesn't load, so the package is never properly created.

I'm attaching one of the counter packages with doubled files, and a picture of the non-loading food stand.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  AE-ClubCounter-CluedoMustard.7z (154.9 KB, 3 downloads)

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#8 Old 27th Dec 2021 at 10:59 AM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 27th Dec 2021 at 11:36 AM.
I use SimPE version73.44 and 75.69. Sometimes I have issues with the updated version by Chris Hatch and use the last stable version.

As for the club counter, I think the reason it pulls double the amount of mmat's is because it actually has two counter meshes. If you look at the mmat's, half have one guid and the other half has another. Looking at the CEP documentation, those two guid's are for each of the counter meshes.

The Food Stand was made recolorable with the cep, so make sure it's installed and that the two files are in the file path in simpe. https://hugelunatic.com/getting-cep-extras-to-work/

eta: so the CEP extra for the witches lamps actually conflict . I've attached a fixed one, place in the CEP extra folder in program files, then reload file table (or restart simpe), and it pulls the right subsets.
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  CEP-EXTRA_WitchesLamps.7z (1.3 KB, 2 downloads)
Alchemist
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Dec 2021 at 3:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
eta: so the CEP extra for the witches lamps actually conflict . I've attached a fixed one, place in the CEP extra folder in program files, then reload file table (or restart simpe), and it pulls the right subsets.

Aha! changing that CEP file made no difference, but it made me look at the File Table...which wasn't finding the CEP at all, because I had renamed my Downloads folder in the move to the new computer. Fixing the name back to 'Downloads' was what was needed. Now I get the right files for the food stand, and presumably lots of other things I hadn't noticed so far.
Thanks for all your help on this.