Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Feb 2022 at 1:06 AM
Default Default - invisible group
Hi!
I thought I would make a maternity default...
The mesh I am using has two groups, body and noblend. I am using Moogle's tutorial (https://mooglesims.tumblr.com/DefaultTutorial), and I think I have updated the groups as they describe. But there's something not right! The top part of the outfit (the noblend group) is invisible.

Can someone tell me what I am missing, please? It's probably obvious, but I'm beating my head against the wall.

(I tried Malvern's default using the same mesh - same problem! Invisible top.)

My new downloads are on my Pillowfort
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 3rd Feb 2022 at 7:14 PM
You have enablers or recategorizers for the original maternity outfits that are conflicting with your default replacement.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Feb 2022 at 10:17 PM Last edited by aelflaed : 3rd Feb 2022 at 10:48 PM. Reason: tried it, no dice
I'm in my test game and tried with nothing else in Downloads...will check if there's something stashed in my Program Files.

...Nope, don't think so. I removed everything from TSdata/Bins except globalcatbin.bundle. I have some CEPExtras, but those are objects, not clothing. I took out LazyDuchess's separates enabler. I left in Motoki's maternity clothing enabler, because otherwise I can't see the outfit in CAS.

I don't think there's any other CC in my Program Files. The top of the outfit still doesn't show up.

Other maternity defaults are working. I think the only thing I can try now is to make a pregnant test sim, and force them into the correct maternity outfit to test without the Motoki mod.

Did the file work in your game?
Screenshots

Alchemist
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Feb 2022 at 11:37 PM Last edited by aelflaed : 4th Feb 2022 at 1:57 AM.
Aha! Double post because I got the outfit to show! Tips for future searchers:
In-game, used Motoki's buyable maternity mod, the Hacked Coat Hook and TJ's SimBlender. Made pregnant sim, accelerated the pregnancy so she spun into maternity clothing, pushed her into the suspect outfit. Result - invisible, as in CAS. Save, quit.
Remove Motoki mod, restart. Sim was back in EA maternity. Plan Outfit again to put her into the replacement. This time it worked! So the Motoki mod is interfering, but without it, I can't see the default in the catalogue at all.
However, I didn't have that mod in-game when I began this project, so it looks like I may have two mods interfering. And why just this default? Maybe none of the others have two groups?
Thanks for your suggestion, I have made some progress at least.

Mad Poster
#5 Old 4th Feb 2022 at 12:33 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 4th Feb 2022 at 12:43 AM.
See if it works with the mods if you change the "noblend" TXMT from "SimSkin" to "SimStandardMaterial" in the cMaterialDefinition tab. Could just be a matter of groups having identical names as a default, and changing the shader should in that case go around that issue.

(This only works for textures where skin doesn't show. Don't change the "body" TXMT, that one should be set to "SimSkin" or it won't pick up the skintone).
Alchemist
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Feb 2022 at 1:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
See if it works with the mods if you change the "noblend" TXMT from "SimSkin" to "SimStandardMaterial" in the cMaterialDefinition tab.

No, that doesn't seem to help. I even pressed 'Fix TGI', which I am careful with because I have had that mess things up before, and you didn't say to do so. Still invisible with Motoki's mod in. (Well, actually Gdayars' mod at this point, which includes Motoki's. I have Gdayars' in my main game, which must be why the default didn't seem to work from the start.)

Since my default works without the buyable mod, maybe we're trying to fix the wrong file. Although finding a way around it for the clothing files would be great, and someone else would have to find out what to update in the mod.
Screenshots

Mad Poster
#7 Old 4th Feb 2022 at 2:37 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 4th Feb 2022 at 4:09 AM.
Looks like Motoki's mod uses the PropertySet files to make them buyable. Pretty sure that's why your file isn't showing up, since it would conflict with the "noblend" group, especially if it loads after the default. I couldn't find Gdayar's mod, so can't verify it's the same with that one (but most likely)

What you can do is to take out the mod and instead make buyable versions of your defaults by changing the same categories lines as the ones in the mod (most likely just Flags, but possibly others). Would work the same way, but without conflicts.

(Edited to clarify, since there is a line called "categories" and that's not what I meant)
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#8 Old 4th Feb 2022 at 2:56 AM
I sent you instructions aelflaed
Alchemist
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th Feb 2022 at 3:43 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 4th Feb 2022 at 3:57 AM. Reason: success
I already tried changing the category for 107, Day/Preg, which didn't work - but gdayars has pointed me at the tute which says to ALSO unhide using flags, so I will try that now.

...Bless you all, it worked!

I've removed the GZPS from Gdayars/Motiki's mod, and unhidden the outfit/default with flags and category changes. I'll have to tidy up the other outfits to match, but this particular one is now showing properly in CAS, on my sim and in the (maternity-enabled) clothing rack catalogue.

And I've learned a few things about Property Sets. Thanks so much!

Test Subject
#10 Old 4th Feb 2022 at 9:42 AM
I see you've already solved this, but in case anyone else stumbles upon this thread and wants a more thorough explanation. Attached is a screenshot of the property sets from your files.

Motoki's edited property set edits the age line to enable the outfit from (Y)AF-EF, and changes flags to 0x00000000 to make the outfit unhidden and towniefied. As this is meant to work with the original outfits, no other changes have been made. Here's where I'm kinda surprised, because you have also edited flags in your property set, which should make the outfit show up in catalog, but you say you didn't see it. It worked for me when I tried it, so I don't know what's up with that. Either way, you've edited numoverrides and override#... to work with the new mesh, but that doesn't matter because the game read Motoki's file last, and went to put together an outfit with only one group, body.
Screenshots
Alchemist
Original Poster
#11 Old 5th Feb 2022 at 6:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rudhira
I see you've already solved this, but in case anyone else stumbles upon this thread and wants a more thorough explanation.

Thanks, Rudhira, I do like to understand what I'm doing. At least a bit. Now that I know how to make this mesh work, I've done the next one, so I get more familiar with the process (and have nice defaults).

While I have everyone's attention, I am a bit nonplussed by these instructions (slightly different method, Poppet and a little Marja):
Quote: Originally posted by Poppet
11. Like you did with CRES and SHPE, click the “Package” button and drag each TXMT, **in the same order you set up in your resourcekeyidx**, into the same space you dragged CRES and SHPE. (...)

(Marja: Match all the 3D ID files with the TXMT's and then delete the TXMT files from the Resource List.)

13. Add all the TXTR and TXMT files you previously exported and the entire mesh file of the replacement mesh you’re using. Save. YOU’RE DONE.

Marja seems to be saying I can delete the TXMTs from the Resource list after connecting them in the 3DID, and if it's like the CRES file, I shouldn't need them in the final package. Poppet seems to want to add them in AGAIN after connecting. Unless they mean two different sets of TXMTs.
Obviously something doesn't match up here. Does the final package need those TXMTs or not? Am I doing it wrong? My files seem to work, but I'd rather learn the correct method now than have broken stuff to figure out later.

Mad Poster
#12 Old 5th Feb 2022 at 7:15 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 5th Feb 2022 at 7:32 AM.
This one? https://marja87.tumblr.com/post/148...nts-or-anything
Can't find the one by Poppet.

If you're looking at Marja's tutorial for hair, that's probably what's causing the confusion - the exact line is "Match all the black 3D ID files with the TXMT’s and then delete the TXMT files" and I'm assuming she means deleting the TXMT/TXTRs for all the EAxis hairs in turn by color, and then in a later step she says to add back in extracted TXMT/TXTR resources for one age (instead of separate resources for each age), since only one set is needed for a default. All the 3DIRs can use that MMAT/TXMT.

Moogle's tutorial is probably best to follow if you're defaulting clothes, and follow the hair tutorials for hair.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#13 Old 5th Feb 2022 at 8:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
This one? https://marja87.tumblr.com/post/148...nts-or-anything
Can't find the one by Poppet.

I made a text file for myself, since I can't rely on the internet being up all the time when I want to do something. I found it again:
https://pooklet.tumblr.com/post/987...rial-on-default

It's pretty much the same as Moogle's, a bit more streamlined (no pics) once Moogle has shown you where things are in SimPE. Does some things in a different order. Says to run the recols through Bodyshop to change the group numbers, so your new package doesn't need anything from the original recolour. I haven't seen that advice elsewhere.

I'm just confused about the TXMT doubling, and I want the new package to be as minimal as it can, so removing unneeded resources seems sensible. If the TXMT isn't needed once it's linked with the 3DID, great!

I tried deleting the 3DID from one of my defaults, and it still seems to work fine. So I'm floundering a bit, wondering which resources should be in the final package.

Test Subject
#14 Old 5th Feb 2022 at 9:46 PM
If you make a default replacement using a custom mesh and custom recolours, the final package needs to contain the 3D ID referencing file and property sets extracted from the game file, the GMDC, GMND, SHPE and CRES from the custom mesh, and material definitions (TMXTs) and textures (TXTRs) from the custom recolour.

Removing the 3D ID referencing file is not compatible with a functioning default replacement. Are you sure you didn't have another instance of that file?
Alchemist
Original Poster
#15 Old 6th Feb 2022 at 2:30 AM
Thanks, Rudhira, that seems very clear and sensible. I looked inside a few packages by other people - some have the resources for both the game mesh and the replacement. Moogle's is as you describe.

I wouldn't absolutely swear to the 3DID thing just now; I've mucked with so many files and opened the game so many times in the last couple of days! Maybe I did have another instance of it.

I think that answers my confusion, anyway. What's missing from the tutorials is a screenie (or a list, as you've given) of how the final package should look. Thank you!