Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Dec 2021 at 11:03 AM
Default Troubleshooting the Compost Heap
Izenvy has reported a problem with my non default compost heap, which I am struggling to sort out. I have attached the error report, a copy of the package giving rise to the report, and the extracted unmodded BHAV.

It is a long time ago now, but I basically added in an extra line pointing to the GUID of my compost heap at node 7. As far as I can see, it should either error out all the time, or never. I admit I don't know how to extract and read the Luas, so don't know for sure exactly what they do.

If anyone could advise, I would be grateful?
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Controller-gardenmany(part).rar (358 Bytes, 4 downloads)
File Type: rar  ModgardenplotFT.rar (1.2 KB, 4 downloads)
File Type: txt  MTS_Izenvy_2064668_ObjectError_N003_t2523579.txt (130.9 KB, 7 downloads)
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 17th Dec 2021 at 6:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Aysarth
Izenvy has reported a problem with my non default compost heap, which I am struggling to sort out. I have attached the error report, a copy of the package giving rise to the report, and the extracted unmodded BHAV.

It is a long time ago now, but I basically added in an extra line pointing to the GUID of my compost heap at node 7. As far as I can see, it should either error out all the time, or never. I admit I don't know how to extract and read the Luas, so don't know for sure exactly what they do.

If anyone could advise, I would be grateful?

Hello @Aysarth
Your Non Default Compost Heap was uploaded initially 2016, then the garden plot files updated in 2017. In my opinion, if there was something wrong, I would have expected it to be flagged up shortly after upload.
It is possible that the issue is with Izenvy who could have other mods that conflict with it in their game.
Have you checked with Izenvy that only one version of the upload is installed in their game and the most recent garden plot file is being used?
In the meantime, I will install the Non Default Compost Heap and check it in my own game to see how it works and advise you.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#3 Old 17th Dec 2021 at 10:46 AM
Because you didn't add the bhav's to your package, this is going to conflict with any other mod that alters composting. Why not just add the bhav's to the package, make them local, and eliminate the check for the original compost bin GUID?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Dec 2021 at 11:16 AM
Thank you for looking at this for me. I will check with Izenvy whether they have any other mods which affect gardening.

HL, this was the first ever project I undertook that involved any BHAV editing, so I wasn't entirely sure what I was doing. If it worked, I was just grateful!
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#5 Old 17th Dec 2021 at 2:41 PM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 17th Dec 2021 at 6:03 PM.

... so I wasn't entirely sure what I was doing. If it worked, I was just grateful!

Yea, this I understand! LoL I don't know off hand what garden mods may interfere, and if it's the case, as when I tested in my game I got the same error. I would suggest maybe changing the mod part to remove any bhav's you didn't actually edit, for less conflicts.

So after checking the Sims_2:Object_Errorswiki page, Too many iterations description had a couple of things that might cause this. Either clearing the variable or adding an idle. I added an idle (being the easier option) between the GUID checks, and the errors stopped for me. Of course, this makes me wonder if a global mod could be made to accept all cc compost bins, rather like...the Christmas tree one by honeywell? Wonder if there is an operand to check for fallback GUID instead?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Dec 2021 at 5:44 PM
Thanks HL, I am giving it a try.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Dec 2021 at 10:30 AM
Seasons Greetings to you all. I am reporting back on my results.

Yes, adding the idle got rid of the error. Thank you, HugeLunatic . However, during testing, I discovered a new problem.

The Fertilise Many interaction completed correctly when the amount of compost exceeded the number of garden plots. It was also cancellable. When there were more plots than compost, the interaction worked correctly until the compost ran out, at which point the Sim just stands and waits indefinitely, with the interaction no longer being cancellable (it can be cancelled up to that point). The sim isn't frozen, their motives are dropping at the normal rate, and there is no error message. I have to exit the lot without saving (which the game is happy for me to do) to get them out of it. I have tried zeroing their fun, comfort and energy, to see if motive desperation will break them out, but no. On another lot, I have tried the fertilise many interaction with the in-game compost bin for comparison, and even with my mod in place, once the Sim ran out of compost they happily wandered off to do something else, as they are supposed to.

I am going to continue to look into this after Christmas is over. However, it is difficult to know where to start, since I don't have an error report. If anyone else would like to take a look at this, please do!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th Dec 2021 at 11:08 AM
Greetings All

I have followed the suggestion of @HugeLunatic and remade the mod to look for compost bins by category, rather than by GUID, so it should allow for other custom compost bins to use the fertilise many interaction. This time I have also included documentation of what the mod is.

I have attached the new mod and a correspondingly edited version of the compost heap to this post. I have it in my test hood and it seems to be working OK, though by the nature of the gardening system I will need to run it though several seasons for more than one household to be sure. Can anyone help out with the testing? @Izenvy would you be prepared to try it and report back?

In case anyone is using my Pumpkin Patch and Grow Your Greens custom garden plots, I have also attached edited versions of these. Please use them with the mod, as they may otherwise throw errors.
Attached files:
File Type: txt  Newgardenmod.txt (1.5 KB, 5 downloads)
File Type: rar  Newmodgardenplot.rar (834 Bytes, 5 downloads)
File Type: rar  CompostheapNDFT.rar (490.0 KB, 5 downloads)
File Type: rar  Gardenplot.rar (71.9 KB, 3 downloads)
File Type: rar  PumpkinPatch.rar (66.1 KB, 3 downloads)
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 30th Dec 2021 at 6:36 PM
Greetings All

I have followed the suggestion of @HugeLunatic and remade the mod to look for compost bins by category, rather than by GUID, so it should allow for other custom compost bins to use the fertilise many interaction. This time I have also included documentation of what the mod is.

I have attached the new mod and a correspondingly edited version of the compost heap to this post. I have it in my test hood and it seems to be working OK, though by the nature of the gardening system I will need to run it though several seasons for more than one household to be sure. Can anyone help out with the testing? @Izenvy would you be prepared to try it and report back?

@Aysarth Thank you for trying to fix this, I really appreciate it! I'm always ready, going to launch my game right away
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 30th Dec 2021 at 9:10 PM Last edited by Izenvy : 4th Jan 2022 at 4:32 PM.
Quick update: so far I tested it in one family over several seasons in a test neighborhood with testingcheats on - no errors whatsoever! In my testing I always had more garden plots than available compost and I got no errors or stuck sims. I'll continue my testing.