Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Derelict Dreamhome - Starter for the Brave - now in Seasons version too!

by aelflaed Posted 14th Jan 2008 at 10:30 PM - Updated 10th Feb 2014 at 10:06 PM by Phaenoh

113 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 104 Feedback Posts, 8 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 5
Alchemist
Original Poster
#26 Old 17th Jan 2008 at 3:10 AM
Jeka, the mess is partly time (my grotty sim made a lot of meals without eating them) and largely good use of Frillen's collections and putting leaking plumbing out in the yard to encourage weeds. I used TestingCheats to break and dirty the furnishings.

I only had to play the grotty sim for three days to achieve this shambles, but it took my neat sim a whole week, with some helpful neighbours, to get it clean. And I had to call the repairman to fix things, since she wouldn't repair anything at all. Apparently she didn't want any mechanical skills.

Glad people are enjoying the lot.
Test Subject
#27 Old 17th Jan 2008 at 4:21 PM
Thanks so much for this. I loved playing it! I plan to make and "abondoned neighborhood" and move my fresh from uni folks in to their bought at a song...fixer uppers! Its so funny to watch the reactions!!!!
Field Researcher
#28 Old 17th Jan 2008 at 11:25 PM
i stil havent managed to figure out why mine isnt working so i think ill make my own lol but yours was the inpiration :D

the amount of pills I'm taking, counteracts the booze I'm drinking
Alchemist
Original Poster
#29 Old 18th Jan 2008 at 1:39 AM Last edited by aelflaed : 18th Jan 2008 at 3:19 AM. Reason: added Seasons version.
Default Seasons Version available.
bassist, sorry it won't work for you, but if it inspires you to build something similar, all the better. Have fun!

Edit - I have just added a new version packaged from Seasons, which has the dirty kitchen and bathroom as intended. Hope this improves play for those with higher EPs.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 18th Jan 2008 at 9:27 PM
There seems to be a problem due to the pizza box when accessing the lot with a new sim. I had to reset the pizza box then it worked.

So I modified the lot by deleting the pizza box so it doesn't happen again.

It's a great challenge and I have a sim who's actually going berseck in it for the past weeks (sim time). The house in itself may be awful in the beginning but as it goes, it is becoming a great house.

Thanks for this idea!

"Life is a tightrope walker who eventually has to fall.
Life is a racer rife with anger and time is a wall."

-Martin Clement, in "The Swirls of Time"
Alchemist
Original Poster
#31 Old 19th Jan 2008 at 6:52 AM
montrealpsycho, what problem did you find with the pizza box? The only thing I have noticed is that it still wanted to be 'served' after sitting there open for several days. Eeuw.

For the record, I tried installing the house and immediately calling all the service people. Nothing went black or crashed, so I still cannot explain what was happening to cause that problem - must be a combination of factors, not the service people alone.
Field Researcher
#32 Old 20th Jan 2008 at 7:49 AM Last edited by bassist_bitch : 20th Jan 2008 at 9:12 AM.
i found when i made my own version of this house i tried to add a piza box from Frillen's collections and it froze time insantly.. as soon as i deleted it all was fine. this is prob what made your house freeze on my game.. im gona go check and ill get back to ya.

EDIT: i deleted the pizza box and now its working fine.. god it took me like 2 sim days to clean it all up.. and that was just the interior! its looking good so far. yay im happy its working.. mine wasnt as good as your lol

the amount of pills I'm taking, counteracts the booze I'm drinking
Alchemist
Original Poster
#33 Old 20th Jan 2008 at 10:39 AM
Bassist, thanks for that report. Interesting that the pizza box hasn't caused problems for everyone, though. Anyway, glad you've resolved it.
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 22nd Jan 2008 at 6:52 AM
OK this is what I have so far. NOTE: I've played this lot several times to see if I have ANY issues. I do NOT have any bugs, issues or 'glitches'. (go figure).
I loaded the home and then used a character I named "Gretta Walsh" to play the home. Her aspiration is to be a "celebrity chef'. These images will take you to 'day 20'... I am still working on the character, using ZERO cheats.

I did, however, have to use alot of custom content because of the style of the home I chose to create from the original home, but in keeping with the 'regulations' of the chellenge, I used the most expensive items that went with the style of home (A 'semi' Georgian colonial style). See pics for details:

Phase 1:

Phase 2:

Phase 3:

Phase 4:

Phase 5:

Phase 6:

YAY!!! ( I so love this house LOL I really do!)

-Carrie :)
Alchemist
Original Poster
#35 Old 23rd Jan 2008 at 1:51 AM
cnj6768, thanks for those pics - you're certainly making a big deal out of my little cottage! Your sim must have just flown up the career ladder, too, to afford it all.

Thanks also for confirming the lot is not fatally flawed. It's a big relief.

Happy make-over!
Field Researcher
#36 Old 23rd Jan 2008 at 2:52 AM Last edited by bbc100 : 23rd Jan 2008 at 3:10 AM.
Also add OFB as well bcause everything is fixed & clean!!!

I am MOHAAPlayer on Discord
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 23rd Jan 2008 at 9:18 AM Last edited by montrealpsycho : 23rd Jan 2008 at 10:04 AM.
Day 21 in Charlie's life in the old house. As an artist, he wanted to redo the whole house but preserve its spirit, so now the house finally looks as he wanted it to. Renovated but kept the spirit of the house intact. Still miss some furniture and trees but they're on their way. Next thing to work on will be the pergola though... or maybe a swimming pool... but first, it will certainly be a shaken juice from the closest bar.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g...pg?t=1201082693

Alchemist
Original Poster
#38 Old 23rd Jan 2008 at 12:19 PM
Montrealpsycho, that looks great! It's nice to see what people have done with it.
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 24th Jan 2008 at 9:05 PM
Aelflaed - Yes. Grenda almost quite literally 'flew' up her career ladder (how i managed that I'm still not too sure ROFL). But thus far, no issues at all. I even have more than enough roaches to keep my sims' environment level to a flat 0. LOL

I seriously love in-game challenges, especially ones that require ALOT of 'hard work' and an extreme level of difficulty. This house simply provided that challenge to me

Montrealpsycho - where did you get that gorgeous roof and window decor?

Alchemist
Original Poster
#40 Old 25th Jan 2008 at 12:25 AM
Montrealpsycho has the gable deco from Marina's Sims 2, and I think the window mouldings are from there too.

I'm impressed Grenda could race through a career while living in a dump. My latest neat sim zoomed up her ladder too, mainly by lucky choices in chance cards. She was at the top of her career just barely after reaching elder, with time out to have a baby as well. Mind you, she had fixed up the lot at the same time, by upgrading furnishing and wallpapers etc. It looked pretty good by the time she had her birthday.

See pics attched, just to encourage everyone. Oh, and Nellie likes pink. A lot.

I didn't try extending the house at as you have. It looks as though you've spent all Grenda's cash on the patio and the second storey. Is the inside still manky? Poor girl - living in a mansion with only roaches for company!
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 25th Jan 2008 at 7:31 PM Last edited by cnj6768 : 25th Jan 2008 at 8:28 PM.
Wow! love those pics of your home! And thanks for the name of the roof deco location. I visit Marina's alot, but just haven't come across that area yet. Will go check it out in a bit.

As for Gretta....her house, inside and out, is quite 'mod'. See pics below.

:D

The little 'secret' to this is that after she got a promotion that included a 55K bonus, she got demoted...and just a day or two later, got re-promoted, with another 55K bonus (which obviously helped ALOT lol)

Alchemist
Original Poster
#42 Old 27th Jan 2008 at 12:52 AM
cnj6768, that is certainly no longer a dump. You've done wonders, and the house is completely unrecognizable as mine - in a nice way. Thanks for the pictures.

bbc100, I don't understand what you mean, but I suppose I'll find out.
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 27th Jan 2008 at 8:54 PM
oddly enough, the original frame of the house, sans the front windows, remains in tact. LOL I simply expanded around the original home's exterior walls
So glad you like it, cause I am totally enjoying this house (obviously ROFL) :D

Lab Assistant
#44 Old 30th Jan 2008 at 3:39 PM Last edited by montrealpsycho : 30th Jan 2008 at 3:44 PM.
I effectively used mouldings and gables from Marina's Sims at http://marinasims.net

For the roof, I used the work from mzcynnamon that you can find at http://www.modthesims2.com/member.php?u=80055

They did an incredible job on them.

Test Subject
#45 Old 31st Jan 2008 at 11:21 AM
I wanted to say I completly LOVE this house!I have the bse game, uni, OFB and Seasons installed) I made a whole neigborhood just filled with this house and When my new young married folks fresh from uniiversity are looking for a starter home, this is where they go. I have also had a few singles move into the neighborhood. This is so much fun! Right before they "get started" on the house I check ot their ersonalities and give them a color and a theme for the house (ie. one house is green and very artsy with lots of plants, one was blue and very conservative,etc) Will try to post some pics sooon!
Do you have any plans on making anymore? Or does anyone else know where there are any more houses like this? I had a really disgusting one a long time ago but can't recall where it came from.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#46 Old 31st Jan 2008 at 9:31 PM
artsymommachic, I did think of making at least one more house of this type, but I have been distracted by playing a Victorian theme this week.

If I complete another one, it will be uploaded here, so you'll see it.

There is Mariella's original challenge house, but it wouldn't work for me (which is why this one exists), so probably not for you either, as neither of us has Pets. It's linked above if you want to try.
Mad Poster
#47 Old 1st Feb 2008 at 3:13 AM
I've got Kaylynn Langerak living in this house-I did cheat...sorry..had to max out her mechanical skills to fix everything, but she's pregnant with twins (Thanks, Don!) and she's frantically trying to get the house cleaned up enough for their birth. She doesn't even have a job yet.
She's got the yard coming into control, the sink fixed and the toilet unplugged-but she has to rest for a while.
All the animations worked; roaches, flies and smell. Yuck, what a mess!
I've got only the base game, too.
Great work!
Test Subject
#48 Old 3rd Feb 2008 at 12:11 AM
First of all, thank you so much for uploading this! I'm having a lot of fun playing the lot. There is one thing I have noticed. My sim will put leftovers in the fridge and when she tries to take them out the food disappears. I tried going to other lots to see if there were troubles in other lots, and had no trouble. Has anyone else had this trouble?
Alchemist
Original Poster
#49 Old 3rd Feb 2008 at 6:50 AM
I didn't have any trouble with leftovers myself. I assume you are using the Maxis fridge the grotty tenant left in the house. I haven't seen anyone else report this - perhaps something else is interfering with the fridge?
Inventor
#50 Old 19th Feb 2008 at 6:54 PM
This house looks like it will be very cute when given some love, Thanks for sharing.
Page 2 of 5