Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Remove stencils/overlays from build/buy/CAS objects in game (edited 01/16/2014)

by velocitygrass Posted 9th Jun 2012 at 11:59 AM - Updated 16th Jan 2014 at 5:25 PM by velocitygrass : Note about patch 1.66

238 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 98 Feedback Posts, 139 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 10
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#51 Old 11th Jun 2012 at 1:38 PM
Okay I'm going to sound so stupid but what is a stencil? and I'm dying to know cause this looks like an awsum mod...
Retired
retired moderator THANKS POST
#52 Old 11th Jun 2012 at 3:08 PM
The only thing that could make this upload more awesome is two guys on a bed cuddl... ...oh.

This upload could not be any more awesome.
Test Subject
#53 Old 11th Jun 2012 at 3:27 PM
Default clarification
Quote: Originally posted by velocitygrass

@slhancox: Yes, stairs and rails don't have the interaction, and I imagine other objects that consist of several parts (e.g. fences, fireplaces). I'm collecting the objects that are reported right now and then will do some tests.

Ooh, sorry I didn't mean that it didn't work I would have given you more concrete feedback if that was the case. Let me clarify. When I successfully used "remove stencil" on some of the stained glass style basegame doors I discoverd that the "glass" panes without the stencil overlay had the same texture as the wood of the door. It made for some interesting solid wood doors, but not, as I had hoped, clear glass paned doors.

That's what I meant. I didn't even try it with railings yet. But good to know you are working on it.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#54 Old 11th Jun 2012 at 4:31 PM
As a decorator, I expect this to be one of the most useful mods EVER to me! Thank you, you just made my top 10 list! :D
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#55 Old 11th Jun 2012 at 6:00 PM
omg. we are getting spammed on mts comments now? wtf?

ANyways, this mod is so epic, and ive been able to get rid of so much crap, its really the best! one thing I was wondering tho, how hard would it be to add an option to remove all stencils, like if you click on something with the stencil to remove, there would be another option that says remove all, and maybe it removes all stencils in the room or on the whole lot? es possible?
Inventor
Original Poster
#56 Old 11th Jun 2012 at 6:11 PM
@leo06girl: That's odd. Did the interaction not appear or did it simply not change anything?

@armiel: Aww, thank you Your Builder's Island always comes in handy when I do my testing.

@LauraG: Stencils are the decorative elements that are not part of the mesh, but only an image. Like the flowers on the counter in the main example image. The presets sometimes offer different stencils for an object (e.g. the cabinets in the before/after image) and sometimes they have all the same (in those cases it's mostly an overlay, not a stencil, though that distinction is only technical). In some cases the game already offers a preset without any decorations that can be used. But when it doesn't, you're stuck and it can sometimes make an object a lot less useful. This mod allows you to remove those decorations even if the game doesn't have a preset without them. I hope this makes sense.

@kiwi_tea: LOL. I want to frame this comment and put it over my desk :D

@slhancox: Ah, yes, that's especially annoying for windows, where the mod makes pretty much no sense. The texture under the stencil is mostly one of the existing materials. Technically there was no reason for the designers to really care about those areas (since they would be covered), so just leaving it the same as the surrounding is easiest for them. The usefulness of the mod really depends on the particular object and what you want to achieve. In your example you'd still need a regular override mod that changes/adds the glass material to the door.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#57 Old 11th Jun 2012 at 9:20 PM
Omg, I'm in love <3 Thank you
Test Subject
#58 Old 12th Jun 2012 at 12:20 AM
Hi, for me it does not work, at the "Haute Hip Double Bed." I would like to have this without the quilted headboard and footboard.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#59 Old 12th Jun 2012 at 12:21 AM
This works to amazingly!
Eminence Grise
#60 Old 12th Jun 2012 at 1:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sunny99
Hi, for me it does not work, at the "Haute Hip Double Bed." I would like to have this without the quilted headboard and footboard.

IIRC the quilted parts are CaSTable, right? CaSTable areas won't be hidden by this.
Inventor
#61 Old 12th Jun 2012 at 9:31 AM
@leo06girl: That's odd. Did the interaction not appear or did it simply not change anything?

It didn't appear at all on the stuff I mentioned. The items it did appear on it didn't seem to make a difference. The interaction appeared on an incense holder, a mirror, and a dresser. Do you think having buydebug turned on had anything to do with it?
Theorist
THANKS POST
#62 Old 12th Jun 2012 at 9:53 AM
Great idea! Thanks!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#63 Old 12th Jun 2012 at 6:09 PM
This is great! I always hated EA attempts to fine design items! Thank you for this cant wait to use it!!!!!
Instructor
#64 Old 13th Jun 2012 at 5:47 AM
@bitterquill: The same mechanism could work similarly for clothing. I've been thinking about that, but I wanted to keep the scope of the mod small for now. If nobody else does it first, I'll probably check how difficult this would be.take a look at them and see if I find a workaround for them.

I didn't want to be rude and ask, but since it's already been brought up, I would ADORE a clothing version of this.

And this one should be very useful, thank you!
Inventor
Original Poster
#65 Old 13th Jun 2012 at 9:51 PM
@SimRivers: A remove all stencils on lot option is possible. In fact I implemented it to see if it would work on the Island Counters, which otherwise don't have the option when not standing alone (unless you load a saved game), and indeed it worked on them too. So a Remove All Stencils on lot option will be in the next update.

@sunny99: I'd have to check, but I think the padded look on the headboard and footboard is probably not an overlay or stencil. The mask, specular, and multiplier are not affected by this mod, though I could see if this could be added as an option for cases where overlay and stencil aren't enough to achieve the desired effect.

@leo06girl: I just checked with buydebug on and it still worked for me. This is very odd. Did you buy the items and place them on the lot or did they exist in a savegame or did you add an existing lot from the bin? I can't really explain why it wouldn't show on those items, especially the Four Post Bed from McKraken Industries. Counter and Cabinets have problems sometimes because of their modularity, but I've never had a problem getting the bed.

General update:

Implemented so far for the next version: "Remove all stencils on lot" option. (This also works on Island Counters and could be used as a workaround for them.) Extra check so that the interaction only appears if there actually is a stencil to disable or an overlay to override.

Currently working on: The extremely stubborn stairs/railings. So far I cannot get to the presets. However, manually creating a modified preset (outside the game) works, so I'll look into creating a preset with turned off stencils/overriden overlays on demand as a workaround. This could then be applied to the object. I've also checked the Murally Responsible Fireplace, which doesn't quite work as expected, but I found the issue, so this should be fixable too.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#66 Old 13th Jun 2012 at 10:08 PM
Fantastic idea, Thank you!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#67 Old 13th Jun 2012 at 10:52 PM
It works just antastic for me Finally I can get those crappy stencils off the furnitures!! Two thumbs up
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 14th Jun 2012 at 1:21 AM
Hi, I didn't go through and read 66 post, but gonna chance it. I think your program is great but there's something that you should know. When I do "testingcheatsenabled on" and then go into Live Mode, and click on the Island Counters that have stencil, it doesn't work ... all get is "placing a plate" .... so you may want to check that out! But other than that - I LOVE IT!!

I'm gonna try again. I went back and read, and it seems you are working on that now. Sorry.
Eminence Grise
THANKS POST
#69 Old 14th Jun 2012 at 2:29 AM
Will the "remove all stencils on lot" option work on community lots?

One thing I ran into last night was that in editing community lots via Edit Town, since you aren't ever in live mode, the interaction doesn't come up so there's no simple way to remove a stencil. Of course there are multiple workarounds, including a) placing the item on an occupied lot, having a sim remove the stencil, saving the preset, and then using that in Edit Town, or b) having a sim visit the lot (didn't test that so can't verify it works off the home lot!)

I should mention also in relation to "remove all stencils on lot"... that for some items, you really won't get the desired effect from removing the stencil, so for those items you'd probably want to put the stencil back. For instance, on a Store planter decorated with playing cards, you still see the image of the cards; removing stencils just removes the color, leaving them gray. On the Store future shock bathtub, there's a glowing panel on the end which is still visible but no longer glowing with stencils removed. I think I mentioned the base game turtle play table, where removing the stencil removes the images from the drawings and the turtle's eyes. I'd say this is the result of bad (or at least inconsistent) object design, but there it is :/
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#70 Old 14th Jun 2012 at 2:59 AM
Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Inventor
#71 Old 14th Jun 2012 at 11:31 PM
@leo06girl: I just checked with buydebug on and it still worked for me. This is very odd. Did you buy the items and place them on the lot or did they exist in a savegame or did you add an existing lot from the bin? I can't really explain why it wouldn't show on those items, especially the Four Post Bed from McKraken Industries. Counter and Cabinets have problems sometimes because of their modularity, but I've never had a problem getting the bed.

I bought them and put them on the lot while I was playing.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#72 Old 15th Jun 2012 at 12:00 AM
I love you.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#73 Old 15th Jun 2012 at 2:41 AM
I love this. I used it on my base game Rooster pot thingy, and can have a set of spatulas in my modern kitchen!
Instructor
THANKS POST
#74 Old 16th Jun 2012 at 8:25 AM
Hmm.. I tried to report the spammer but I got some sort of error.

Anyway, Thank you very very much for this! Those stupid stencils ruined some of the items for me. It will be so much nicer without stencils.

I love you!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#75 Old 17th Jun 2012 at 11:12 AM
You just rocked my world, thanks.
Page 3 of 10